Do you ever feel people treat you stupid because you're a f-rang?

squarethecircle

(warning) This is something I have consistently noticed in my 3 years of being here. It seems that a significant proportion of the population seems to automatically assume I am dumber than them simply for being an f-rang. Example: last night some neighbors spent about five minutes going back and forth talking about how much they wanted to give me a ride home on their motorcycle, and the content was obvious. After the 5 minutes (after repeated efforts to say "bye" and obviously knowing what was going on), one of them spelt out in broken English "we go you motorcyc your house". Similar things have happened too many times to count. Maybe this is just because they are used to dealing with idiots from foreign countries, or maybe it's due to some kind of propaganda, but:

Do you ever feel people treat you stupid (or treat you like you're dumber than them) because you're a f-rang?

• Like 1

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, when Thai people try to rip me off and assume I am not going to notice or not push back about it. Wouldn't that be assuming stupidity? As far as language issues around the Thai language, they would be correct in my case to assume that I am stupid. 

• Like 2

Yes, when Thai people try to rip me off and assume I am not going to notice or not push back about it. Wouldn't that be assuming stupidity? As far as language issues around the Thai language, they would be correct in my case to assume that I am stupid. 

I would think it's because they don't like you. 

So when people try to rip me off it's because they don't like me? I don't think that comes into play. I think it's just a play at some easy money. 

• Like 1

The dumbest people on the planet, of any color or background, are those who call other people dumb. Real smart people would never do that unless they are arrogant. And really smart people are per definition not arrogant. So why worry?

• Like 1

The other day a waiter tried to add 100 baht to a 200 baht check. I said this is impossible and they still insisted like I was a trouble maker. Still pushed (bring the manager!) and then it was ... so sorry, it was a mistake. Instead of accepting that BS I said to her (and it was true) you look too SMART to not know how to add two items (BTW in an empty restaurant). Gotcha!

So when people try to rip me off it's because they don't like me? I don't think that comes into play. I think it's just a play at some easy money. 

The cook at my MK hates Farang.  If he can see me he gives me a small fatty almost inedible portion of duck.  If he can't see my table I get great duck.  He doesn't like Farang.  He doesn't think I'm stupid.  He does not like me. 

"The dumbest people on the planet, of any color or background, are those who call other people dumb. Real smart people would never do that unless they are arrogant. And really smart people are per definition not arrogant. So why worry?"

Not worrying, but have had the same impression numerous times over three years in-and-out of here. Now I am making a real effort to learn the language as I think I will be coming back here for off and on for my remaining (G*ddess willing) 50-60 years on the planet, but curious if my impression is correct or I am just being "
น้อยใจ" ie: "noi jai" ie: "small heart" ie: "easily offended".

Nice troll attempt.

Dont know what a f-rang is, you may well be correct, they are used to dealing with idiots.

Dont believe, try the bars of the lower Suk enclave in Bkk for starters.

In my observations these farang idiots are all smiling and happy and waing the bar girl as they hand over their money.

Perhaps the Thais know us better than we know ourselves.

• Like 2

The other day a waiter tried to add 100 baht to a 200 baht check. I said this is impossible and they still insisted like I was a trouble maker. Still pushed (bring the manager!) and then it was ... so sorry, it was a mistake. Instead of accepting that BS I said to her (and it was true) you look too SMART to not know how to add two items (BTW in an empty restaurant). Gotcha!

And the next time she'll spit in your food.  I didn't think you were that dumb.  I take it back. 

It is easy to dehumanize people you don’t understand or can’t communicate with.  I think a lot of pets have more cross-species understanding than humans have cross-cultural understanding.

People will never treat you like you are stupid if they can talk to you and know who you are and what you think.  Unless of course communication leaves no doubt that one really is stupid.
  • Like 1

I have had certain kinds of manipulation from Thai people - most occurrences of which I just shrug off ... except when the manipulation is a bit too much to ignore... This cannot ignore situation happened only in the past few days in a luxury resort I am staying in ... (only because of low cost due to it being low tourist season).   I was staying with a buddy for two months in a nice two bedroom - we split the rent and it was a bargain for both of us... In the last few days my buddy went to Bkk to stay with some friends - house sit a condo for a month - and cat sit.

So - I needed to rent a one bedroom... I should have known from the initial experience that there would be a 'bait and switch' on the unit offered for my change over... as we had encountered a bait and switch two months before upon initially renting the two bedroom unit.  We were given a 'show' of what turned out to be their showroom unit ... large - a breakfast bar, and more... Then the next day when we came to sign and pay ... the show unit was rented all of a sudden... We were ushered into a nice two bedroom - somewhat smaller - no breakfast bar and a few other amenities not there ... But it was acceptable - but not the show piece - so we paid and stayed.

Yesterday - I packed up and began my short move... I went to the unit I thought had been in discussion - nice one bedroom, walled divider between the front sitting room and bedroom area - many windows - light and airy by the pool ... But found it pad locked... I looked up and maid looked confused - pointing to an inferior room - few windows, no divider between the bedroom area and the sitting room ... fewer pieces of furniture, and not by the pool, etc.  --- bathroom and kitchenette about the same... but not quite...

I took great umbrage to this and told the maid to bring the acting manager... She came and insisted that the one they had prepped for me was what I had chose... I asked her what was 'I don't like - I don't want... phom mai chob ... phom mai ow ... did she not understand in both languages the day before?  She kept insisting - I said - stop talking - in English and in Thai .. and refused to even look at her any more... she finally left.   I went to the undesirable room and took a few of my things another maid had taken there and brought them back to the porch of the unit I was leaving and I sat there and refused to leave.. I had cleared the two bedroom... So I took the keys to the two bedroom and the keys to the undesirable room and marched off to the main office across the way to another compound and handed them to the real manager who had returned to work much to my relief... But she kept up the same routine - so I marched off back to sit on the porch with my baggage ... Finally she came and ask what could be done ... I said again - I refuse to take the undesirable room and had said so from the outset... and that I wanted a room - bungalow - by the pool and with a wall divider between the bedroom area and the sitting area as I had said from the outset.  I said I would wait for the owner - the big boss..  She left after I refused to talk anymore... She came back and said I could have the unit next door to where I had been staying for 1000 Baht more than the undesirable room - but it happens it was 2000 less than the original bait and switch model... So I moved... and I made her do a complete inventory of all items in the unit - down to the knifes and forks - to avoid any other opportunity for another manipulation... Some times I just get in that mood... Which brings up a manipulation story done by Bangkok air ... which was a real zinger -- but I will wait for another time for that story... 

The cook at my MK hates Farang.  If he can see me he gives me a small fatty almost inedible portion of duck.  If he can't see my table I get great duck.  He doesn't like Farang.  He doesn't think I'm stupid.  He does not like me. 

A type of humor that defies classification. unsure.png

but thesee things seem to happen over and over

only to a select few people

but thesee things seem to happen over and over

only to a select few people

how do you know it does happen only to "select few people"???whistling.gif

Oh let me guess, because it never happened to you  and you know every foreigner here, and you have a crystal balls and thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

If the OP knew what his neighbours were talking about ("and the content was obvious.") why didn't he join in the conversation rather than standing around for 5 minutes saying nothing?

Edited by sustento

Maybe do a poll.

Of course it would be meaningless.

Say on the specific topic of restaurants presenting obviously padded bills, how often it happens to you would depend on:

1. Where you live. Tourist trap areas obviously much worse. I live in Pattaya.

2. How often you eat out. For example, once a week or twice a day?

3. How often you try out NEW restaurants. If you're a regular some place less likely to happen. If you're seen as a one off in a new place to you, more likely.

4. Do you even CHECK the bill? If not, how would you know when it happens?

'Nuff said? 

Edited by Jingthing