Big political parties, PDRC steer clear of reform council

Lite Beer

POLITICS
Big political parties, PDRC steer clear of reform council
The Sunday Nation

BANGKOK: -- Pheu Thai, Democrats and small groups unlikely to nominate NRC candidates

The country's two largest political parties, as well as the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC), will likely not nominate anyone from their organisations as candidates for the junta-selected National Reform Council (NRC).

Politicians from the Democrat and Pheu Thai parties, as well as the smaller Rak Prathet Thai Party said yesterday the possibility was very slim for their parties to join.

The process for nomination starts on August 9.

Ekanat Promphan, spokesperson of the PDRC, said while there has been no discussion amongst PDRC leaders about the matter, his personal view is that the PDRC need not send anyone to join the reform council as it wasn't the PDRC's objective.

Ekanat said the PDRC had been demanding reforms and would support the council by giving advice and believed that junta leader General Prayuth Chan-ocha was sincere in pushing for reform. He said the PDRC would also keep a close eye on the process. Ekanat added that it was the right of some academics who had taken part in PDRC activities to join the NRC if nominated.

He also warned that it may be premature for some politicians to become members of the reform council as allowed by the junta's order No 119, as it may lead to politicians pushing for reforms that benefit them. Even if they are chosen, the number of politicians within the NRC should be limited so they can be controlled.

Democrat Party deputy leader Nipit Intrasombat, meanwhile, said the party had not discussed the matter, as political party meetings and activities have been banned by the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO).

Nipit added that the cancelling of state funding to political parties was taxing to the party, which has 200 branches and regular expenditure.

He said Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva had stated earlier that it wouldl not nominate anyone to join the reform council but would provide advice to the NCPO on a regular basis instead. He noted that it was unclear if Abhisit's stance had since changed and acknowledged differing views within the party on the matter and the need to meet and discuss about it.

Udomdej Rattanasatien, former Nonthaburi MP for the Pheu Thai Party, said the party would not nominate anyone, as the party wants to play a role on the democratic path. Udomdej added, however, that the party had been cooperative with the NCPO.

Udomdej pointed out that a number of Pheu Thai MPs have already expressed views about what reforms are needed and the council should feel free to pick up the ideas. He added, however, that the party has yet to formally meet to discuss the matter as political parties are banned from holding meetings.

Chuwit Kamolvisit, leader of Rak Prathet Thai (Love Thailand) Party, also said politicians should not join the council, as the aim of the reform is to curb the powers of politicians so having them on the council could lead to conflict of interest.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Big-political-parties-PDRC-steer-clear-of-reform-c-30240106.html

[thenation]2014-08-03[/thenation]

Think there should be room for 20 or so of the best (some are there in both the major parties) from all the political parties as it would be an opportunity for these to be indoctrinated, bullied, educated, smile.png into lawful democratic process's via the reforms and the best of them to stake a claim for their parties leaderships and senior positions coming out of the interim governance into democratic elections. 51% Junta Military controlled positions, 35 to 40% from non Military and non political sections of Thai academical, business, legal, education, etc, and the remaining 10% odd from political parties would seem a fair mix. The Junta is at some stage going to have to lighten the restrictions on not necessary political gatherings in the streets etc but at least political parties meetings and leaving it right to calling elections is not a wise choice.  

• Like 1

I thought the only reason that the existing Political Parties wouldn't join in on the NRC was the fact they they would then be barred from becoming "politicians" for a number of years after the completion of the reforms.

Hardly self-sacrificing behaviour . . .

• Like 2

I thought the only reason that the existing Political Parties wouldn't join in on the NRC was the fact they they would then be barred from becoming "politicians" for a number of years after the completion of the reforms.

A political party can still nominate a non politician, party exec for instance, who has no ambitions to stand for office.

That way they could get their ideas heard.

The reforms needed go way past just political and electoral reform and I would think that at least some of the parties would have some clues as to what was needed and could be useful.

• Like 1

A political party can still nominate a non politician, party exec for instance, who has no ambitions to stand for office.

That way they could get their ideas heard.

The reforms needed go way past just political and electoral reform and I would think that at least some of the parties would have some clues as to what was needed and could be useful.

I can't remember the specific wording off the top of my head, but didn't they say that if you served in the council you can't be an MP or a member of a political party for 3 years or something after serving on the council?

Why would a self serving Thai politician want to help with the reform?

After the reforms are said and done they cannot contest the next election

Meaning they cannot get the fat yaps back in the feeding trough

Bunch of self serving ........ the lot of them ..... care not for Thailand but for themselves only

Has it ever been any different in LOS ?

TSK,TSK, TSK!!! Farangs cannot understand Thainess.

''Reform.''dreaded words to any politician of all brands in any country 

Give it a few years, and it will lead to chaos.
The art of changing two way discourse into one-way communication; sticking to the party message no matter what the other is saying. The abbreviation for political speak is BS.
When was the last time you saw a politician give a straight answer to a question being asked of them? Political speak is when a politician is interviewed and asked a question and the politician answers with a response that has nothing to do with the question, but rather propounds the party message on their topic of the day. Thus transforming what was a two way discourse into a one way diatribe with very little if any meaningful content.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/

This whole process is deeply flawed. The political parties are banned from meeting to decide whether they want to take part in the reform council and what reforms they want to see. The council will  be composed of academics and businessmen and others of the elite who have a vested interest in ensuring that there is never again a working democracy in Thailand. There will be elections at some point, even the Bangkok hi-sos accept that inevitability. The purpose of 'reform' is to weaken the influence of the ordinary voter as far as they dare and then introduce a large number of non-elected QUANGOs with huge powers that are controlled by the elite in order to neuter an elected governments ability to govern and then to introduce regulations to ensure that no changes to their rules can be made by that government. Thus perpetuating their power indefinitely. 

Complete and utter rubbish.

It is the right way to real reform, not the faux type attempted by Yingluck. Those politicians banned from meetings have access to phones, in fact many of them have tablets which they haven't returned. It is obvious that one doesn't need a physical meeting to communicate these days, Skype allows online meetings.

You are just speculating with an uninformed (aka biased) guess on the composition of the council and the usual stupid 'elite' and 'hi-so' name-calling doesn't help.

The rest is pure fortune telling similar to a football manager who 'predicts' they will win the league. (at least you should understand thatwink.png ).

• Like 2

Perhaps the old parties like life the way it was and reform was never on the agenda, just how get power and keep it. The Junta have to find a way to get them involved, I thought it was people from all walks of life and across the political divide, if this bridge cannot be crossed this is the first big problem for the Junta to solve, I would hope that all concerned might like to think what their actions might mean, I hope for a bit of give and take here otherwise the junta might have a big problem on the way, well good luck.

Perhaps the old parties like life the way it was and reform was never on the agenda, just how get power and keep it. The Junta have to find a way to get them involved, I thought it was people from all walks of life and across the political divide, if this bridge cannot be crossed this is the first big problem for the Junta to solve, I would hope that all concerned might like to think what their actions might mean, I hope for a bit of give and take here otherwise the junta might have a big problem on the way, well good luck.

I have been here for 25 years now observing the political antics ( somewhat amusing if anything ) while I have always said and told people that the military powers ultimately control this country...as we have witnessed how many times now???

So far we have seen that the military powers of the country are somewhat benevolent as compared to the power they could inflict upon the nation if they wanted to.

To me it has always been obvious whose side the Military is on and ultimately the way they would like to sustain the status quo as it is in their best interests to have the elite and the wealthy families and the old guard politicians continue to wield their power and influence over the country....as that is who they have always associated with anyhow while many members of the political ranks come directly from a military career to a political career...but they are still military at heart.

The military is not really interested in having the common person  ( the  public at large )  or any opposing political party undermining their ability to maintain their influential position and interconnection to politics and therefor their means of income and wealth ( personal wealth ) and the powerfully persuasive position that they have always maintained but usually in the background as long as it suits them to remain in the background.

There will be more coups in the future and they will always be in favor of the status quo

Well done - Millwall_fan you have hit it right on the head with you comments. Now wait for some trolling from the FAR RIGHT.

The reason why the PDRC has no need to join the so-called National Reform Council is me thinks that that have already put their recommendations in - long ago - one gets that weird feeling that this whole Coup thing had been scripted ages ago - round about when Yingluck won the election with that significant majority.

I'm heading off to Nigeria for a couple of months so will miss being able to witness first-hand this unfolding according to Plan - but I do have an advantage - that Nigeria, for all its faults, decided years ago that Military Governments were finally a thing of the past and now the country is committed to staggering along with their Democracy. The Army has learnt to stay in their barracks and avoid politics (or trying to run a country). The armed forces now do what armies do "best" - fight a war against an Islamic insurgency (Boko Harem) - badly at the moment - but someone has to do it. Hopefully there will be enough soldiers exempt from being on the NLA or part of the Enlightenment Units touring the country to "educate" the population on the Next Phase of the Plan - to fight Thailand's little war in the South - someone has to.

It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us the freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protestor to burn the flag.

Father Denis Edward O‘Brien, Sergeant, USMC

cowboy.gif 

• Like 1