Muslim "Call to Prayer" (Noise)

hound

I'm in complete agreement with those that question the 'tradition' of using amplifiers and speakers to 'call to prayer'.

But the elders said they still intend to seek planning permission to install the loudspeaker.
If granted, they would broadcast a two-minute long call three times a day from the Central Mosque, where up to 700 people gather to worship every Friday.

Only three times a day? What happened to 5 times a day?

Having spent a year in Turkey, living fairly close to a mosque, the part about Friday is particularly relevant. Except Friday, the 5 times a day made no difference whatsoever for the majority of locals. They carried on doing whatever they were doing. But Friday, the mosque was always busy as hell.

From what I saw, 6 days of every week, nobody gives a crap.

Upto 700 sounds like a good number, but give us a number for Monday or Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I live in a condo on a high floor about 1 kilometer from a Mosque on Sukhumvit Road in Pattaya.  About 4 times a day I am disturbed by a moaning sound being blasted by high powered speakers from the mosque. The most annoying time is at 4:40 am. I can hear this noise clearly even with my windows closed. I have heard that this is a call to prayer.

This has been going on for some time, but about 8 months ago it stopped.  Then last month it began again.  (I don't know if they had a problem with their speakers or why they stopped for a time.)

I don't think they have a right to disturb people who live anywhere near their Mosque.  If it is a religious right,  do I have a right to get some big-assed speakers and blast Tennessee Ernie Ford singing Baptist hymns in the middle of the night.  I don't think so!

I am sure I am not the only person disturbed by this noise generated by the mosque.  Is there some office I can complain to or is it just a waste of time?

You move to a country with a few million muslims and expect them to change their ways for you! Who do you think you are? Imagine a foreign muslim complaining about church bells in England! Incredulous!
  • Like 2

To repeat from my earlier post...

Things have changed at the mosque - so to complain is completely justified.

A month ago they either installed a new, much louder speaker system at the mosque or turned the old one up hugely.

For years the mosque was not a problem. Now it is.

For the OP and others - like me - to complain is perfectly reasonable.

• Like 1

You move to a country with a few million muslims and expect them to change their ways for you! Who do you think you are? Imagine a foreign muslim complaining about church bells in England! Incredulous!

I disagree. Church bells don't make more noise today than 1 or 2 centuries ago.
Call of prayer 1 century ago was some guys calling/shouting from mosques' tower;
today they use high power sound systems and the sound level never stops to increase !

Agree that you will never manage to stop these "call to prayer",
but if many people complain, you may manage to force them to reduce the sound level of these calls.
It happened already in some cities in Europe.
  • Like 1

Off topic, inflammatory and racists posts removed also the quoted replies to them.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

To repeat from my earlier post...

Things have changed at the mosque - so to complain is completely justified.

A month ago they either installed a new, much louder speaker system at the mosque or turned the old one up hugely.

For years the mosque was not a problem. Now it is.

For the OP and others - like me - to complain is perfectly reasonable.

Maybe if you state your objections, together with people in the neighborhood, the mosque's keeper/administrator will reduce the volume? 

I live in a condo on a high floor about 1 kilometer from a Mosque on Sukhumvit Road in Pattaya.  About 4 times a day I am disturbed by a moaning sound being blasted by high powered speakers from the mosque. The most annoying time is at 4:40 am. I can hear this noise clearly even with my windows closed. I have heard that this is a call to prayer.

This has been going on for some time, but about 8 months ago it stopped.  Then last month it began again.  (I don't know if they had a problem with their speakers or why they stopped for a time.)

I don't think they have a right to disturb people who live anywhere near their Mosque.  If it is a religious right,  do I have a right to get some big-assed speakers and blast Tennessee Ernie Ford singing Baptist hymns in the middle of the night.  I don't think so!

I am sure I am not the only person disturbed by this noise generated by the mosque.  Is there some office I can complain to or is it just a waste of time?

Thailand has noise pollution laws like many other countries. I do not recall the details, but from something like 9 pm till 5 am it has to be below a certain level. This law covers muslims too.

I don't know about England, but you might be surprised how much many muslims complain about everything when they move to the west smile.png

• Like 1

Just so everyone knows what mosque we're talking about here...

It's Darul Ibadah Mosque, on the west side of Sukhumvit, just north of the junction with Pattayaklang (Central Road). It's more or less opposite the entrances to Soi Nern Plab Waan and Soi Siam Country Club. Has two prominent minarets which are lit up green at night.

According to a website I looked at it's the main mosque in Pattaya.

It looks as though the post removal and warning rate says it all on this subject, I'm dissapointed that so many posters are so intolerant of anything that is related to another religion.

I don't think anyone cares if the noise comes from a disco or a mosque. However, some people seem to think the mosque should get special treatment because it is religion related. There is nothing in the Quran about loudspeakers (an educated guess), and as someone already mentioned, everyone has a watch/phone these days, so those who want to pray, will know when it is time to do so. Hence the "call to prayer" serves absolutely no purpose, and should be stopped, or at least toned down to a level that does not bother anyone.

In some western countries, mosques and minarets are allowed, but "call to prayer" is banned. Yet the muslims still manage somehow to find the mosque and show up for prayer.

Basically religion is a private matter, and should not be forced upon anyone else in any way. It does not matter if it is meat at the supermarket, noise from the mosque or whatever it is.

Edited by monkeycountry
  • Like 2

It looks as though the post removal and warning rate says it all on this subject, I'm dissapointed that so many posters are so intolerant of anything that is related to another religion.

I don't think anyone cares if the noise comes from a disco or a mosque. However, some people seem to think the mosque should get special treatment because it is religion related. There is nothing in the Quran about loudspeakers (an educated guess), and as someone already mentioned, everyone has a watch/phone these days, so those who want to pray, will know when it is time to do so. Hence the "call to prayer" serves absolutely no purpose, and should be stopped, or at least toned down to a level that does not bother anyone.

In some western countries, mosques and minarets are allowed, but "call to prayer" is banned. Yet the muslims still manage somehow to find the mosque and show up for prayer.

Basically religion is a private matter, and should not be forced upon anyone else in any way. It does not matter if it is meat at the supermarket, noise from the mosque or whatever it is.

Its a predominately Muslim area, people are 'invading' their space, not the other way 'round

• Like 1

It's annoying, rude and should not be tolerated. 

I could start a religion that requires me to fire up a jet engine in my driveway every hour. 

Nobody can say a thing since my imaginary friend wants me to do it?

Edited by ZigZagMan
  • Like 1

It's annoying and rude.

I could start a religion that requires me to fire up a jet engine in my driveway every hour. 

Talking of being annoying and rude!

Christianity, Catholicism, Bhudist and Muslim religions have been around for a thousand years or more, your imaginary friends have not, please get back to us in another thousand years with the name of whatever you decided to call it and we'll include it in the list!

• Like 1

I do not recall the details, but from something like 9 pm till 5 am it has to be below a certain level.

Not for a case of mosque, but I would like to know details about such law...
I anyone knows about it? Thanks.

It's annoying and rude.

Christianity, Catholicism, Bhudist and Muslim religions have been around for a thousand years or more, your imaginary friends have not, please get back to us in another thousand years with the name of whatever you decided to call it and we'll include it in the list!

Those speakers weren't around a thousand years ago. 

Lets face it. It's a dumb idea that some numbskull dreamed up after electricity was invented.

Edited by ZigZagMan
  • Like 1

Its a predominately Muslim area, people are 'invading' their space, not the other way 'round

Sorry, I was not aware the area was their space. If this is the case, then the law and common sense should of course not apply.

• Haha 1

It's annoying and rude.

Does something become more real if it has been imagined for a longer time or by more people? The Emperor's New Clothes spring to mind biggrin.png

Remember, a thousand plus years ago the religions you mention started just like Zigzagman's imaginary friend. One guy made it up, and the religion was not even 1 day old yet. Since then, not a single piece of evidence has been found to make either of those religions any more credible than Zigzagman's imaginary jet engine friend.

Edited by monkeycountry