ONCB to buy a new car for student mistakenly shot by policemen

Lite Beer

Assuming i read this correctly! How can 3 policeman afford to pay for a new car to replace hers? Kickbacks and payoffs must be treatin them well

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You didn't!

• Like 1

They tried to stop her for a mistaken suspicion of a crime (not uncommon or illegal) but she fled police and hit two other cars during her fleeing (uncommon and illegal). As for firing at tires of moving vehicle, reckless and stupid.

She very sensibly tried to get away from four unidentified men driving an unmarked vehicle who tried to stop her car.

Where did it say they didn't identify themselves?

I missed the part where it said they didn't identify themselves. Undercover police stop and pull over people and cars routinely in Thailand and the rest of the world without incident the vast majority of times. Since I didn't see anything that said they didn't identify themselves, assumed they did as not identifying themselves would be a big part of the story and wouldn't make a lot of sense unless they have never ever made an arrest undercover before. The fact they are undercover or in unmarked cars is common as are the badges they easily pulled out from under their shirt with their gun of from around their neck as well as identifying themselves verbally as the directed the vehicle to stop.

But for sure, she may not have believed them and been scared it happens, especially if this was a at night or in a secluded area and not many other cars around, like the ones she hit. Edited by JohnThailandJohn
  • Like 1

Thais retain this culture of payoffs. They want to "buy" the victim's car rather that "prosecute" the three police for negligence of duty. The offer of a new car is great, but it shouldn't be the primary step in achieving justice and closure for the victim. Arrest, prosecution, and removal from police service should be the reformed way to approach this. That would send a signal to cops in the future to take their take their cowboy gun firing activity more seriously with more serious repercussions.

I would not entirely blame the cops, there is clearly a poor and inadequate training, if any at all...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Royal Thai Police to buy new car for student

BANGKOK: -- Pol Gen Pongsaphat Pongcharoen, deputy national police chief in charge of narcotics suppression, said the Royal Thai Police will buy a new car for the female university student whose car was shot and damaged by police.

He said police will also take care of the repairing cost of two other damaged vehicles.

On Saturday, three plainclothes policemen tried to force the student, Apeesada Sajphanroj, to stop on suspicion that she was trafficking drug. She was frightened and tried to flee, prompting the policemen to fire at her car and the car's tyres. She also hit two other vehicles while trying to flee.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Royal-Thai-Police-to-buy-new-car-for-student-30240140.html

[thenation]2014-08-03[/thenation]

Pol Gen Pongsapat Pongcharoen is the guy who ran for the position of governor of Bangkok under the red shirt banner and lost.

Just wondering whether he's a typical pt / red character - 'make your own rules'.

Does he have the authority to go ahead and give this lady a new car?

Is there some special reason why THIS specific lady gets a new car?

Should it be paid for by taxpayers funds money?

Someone is going to say it's  'police funds', which means taxpayers funds.

If she is given a new car then this sets a precedent for the future. Will all people wronged by the police be given new cars or new whatever?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thais retain this culture of payoffs. They want to "buy" the victim's car rather that "prosecute" the three police for negligence of duty. The offer of a new car is great, but it shouldn't be the primary step in achieving justice and closure for the victim. Arrest, prosecution, and removal from police service should be the reformed way to approach this. That would send a signal to cops in the future to take their take their cowboy gun firing activity more seriously with more serious repercussions.

I would not entirely blame the cops, there is clearly a poor and inadequate training, if any at all...

And/or were they acting purely on their own decision on the spot, or were they told by a higher ranking officer to do what they did, and without immediate identification?

This story has me in giggles, wow this country never fails to amaze me, the advertizing campaign is true when it states it's amazing Thailand.

After 16 years some things still boggle the mind, didn't even one of these cretins think to show the badge? Now think of the cockup they're going to make of any paperwork they handle!!

Amazing Thailand! cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifsad.png

• Like 1

They tried to stop her for a mistaken suspicion of a crime (not uncommon or illegal) but she fled police and hit two other cars during her fleeing (uncommon and illegal). As for firing at tires of moving vehicle, reckless and stupid.

She very sensibly tried to get away from four unidentified men driving an unmarked vehicle who tried to stop her car.

I missed the part where it said they didn't identify themselves. Undercover police stop and pull over people and cars routinely in Thailand and the rest of the world without incident the vast majority of times. Since I didn't see anything that said they didn't identify themselves, assumed they did as not identifying themselves would be a big part of the story and wouldn't make a lot of sense unless they have never ever made an arrest undercover before. The fact they are undercover or in unmarked cars is common as are the badges they easily pulled out from under their shirt with their gun of from around their neck as well as identifying themselves verbally as the directed the vehicle to stop.

But for sure, she may not have believed them and been scared it happens, especially if this was a at night or in a secluded area and not many other cars around, like the ones she hit.

C'mon John! You went from saying that you assuming the BIB identified themselves to covering your bum by saying if she didn't see it because of the light etc. You can't have it both ways?  coffee1.gifwai.gif

But for sure, she may not have believed them and been scared it happens, especially if this was a at night or in a secluded area and not many other cars around, like the ones she hit.

C'mon John! You went from saying that you assuming the BIB identified themselves to covering your bum by saying if she didn't see it because of the light etc. You can't have it both ways?  coffee1.gifwai.gif

I think you either are having problems reading or are confused.

attachicon.gif10561821_613049448808529_3442136950685550567_n.jpg

Posted at 14:00. Chula students, age 21, a gray Suzuki Swift has revealed four men walking from pickup bronze. The driver was overtaking their Go straight to the car while the car is waiting to turn. The four men were forced to knock on the glass of the car. They scare off the back seat I do not even answer the phone call. One that went bad seat driver then backed away from the man 3 of 4 people use guns to shoot at the wheel of his car. With shock drove away and collided with several cars. And therefore tire Parking 4 young men who drive by his presence Sq., And for people with no car illegally.   (Google translate)

Thanks for that. Really informative............. NOT.

Can YOU do any better?

Sorry, but by looking to the picture they must have fired Red shirt rockets at the car, but those are not bullet holes I see.

And transfered to a desk job.

Ooh my Buddha it looks like the Thaksin war on drugs has just started, bet the General didn't knew about this, other ways it would not have happened

I believe this link is to a video of the video of her car backing into another vehicle.  Also, the men running after the car may be the police officers.

www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=799011260219546&set=vb.221317851322226&type=3&video_source=pages_video_set

Well, after I posted the link, all it shows/showed was the video and not the facebook page it was on.  Perhaps it will work this time.

Edited by radiochaser

attachicon.gif10561821_613049448808529_3442136950685550567_n.jpg

Posted at 14:00. Chula students, age 21, a gray Suzuki Swift has revealed four men walking from pickup bronze. The driver was overtaking their Go straight to the car while the car is waiting to turn. The four men were forced to knock on the glass of the car. They scare off the back seat I do not even answer the phone call. One that went bad seat driver then backed away from the man 3 of 4 people use guns to shoot at the wheel of his car. With shock drove away and collided with several cars. And therefore tire Parking 4 young men who drive by his presence Sq., And for people with no car illegally.   (Google translate)

Thanks for that. Really informative............. NOT.

Sorry my post didn't meet your exacting standards and thanks compensating with your far more note worthy post, DrLom