Jellyfish Egg invasion on Jomtien Beach

webfact

Jellyfish Egg invasion on Jomtien Beach

beach-3.jpg

PATTAYA: -- On a day which normally sees large amounts of Thai and foreign tourists enjoying the beach and all that it has to offer, it was empty on Sunday afternoon due to an invasion of Jellyfish Eggs.

According to beach vendors this is a normal occurrence for this time of the year and the water itself is normally full of Jellyfish which can leave swimmers with nasty stings.

Full story: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/137338/jellyfish-egg-invasion-on-jomtien-beach/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2014-08-04

Jelly fish seem to " invade " shallow waters when the weather is stormy and after heavy rain.If you get stung by a jelly fish the best and fastest solution is to use " Vinegar " or just " pee on it " ( obviously not in public... )

Kind respect where due Ladies..... x

Farang Jaidee w00t.gif

• Like 1

Unidentified shiny objects washed ashore on Jomtien Beach

CHONBURI, 4 August 2014 (NNT) - Pattaya authorities have gone down to inspect the famous Jomtien Beach area after sightings of mysterious shiny objects have been reported.

The unidentified objects that turned up on the beach have kept locals and tourists in awe. Fearing that these objects could be potentially harmful to those who venture into the water, provincial authorities have been notified to identify these items.

A beach umbrella and chair rental stall owner said, “Normally, a lot of jellyfish are spotted on the beach every year. However, the number of the jellyfish observed this year is much lower than the previous year's.”

Authorities and locals have finally concluded that the objects are indeed jellyfish eggs, as a number of tourists have experienced an itch and discomfort on parts of their bodies after touching them. For this reason, tourists have been advised to be cautious and avoid handling these objects.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-08-04 footer_n.gif

Jelly fish seem to " invade " shallow waters when the weather is stormy and after heavy rain.If you get stung by a jelly fish the best and fastest solution is to use " Vinegar " or just " pee on it " ( obviously not in public... )

Farang Jaidee w00t.gif

Both of your suggestions are wrong, not that many people would take medical advice from you on a forum.

Vinegar, (not "vinegar" whatever that is) is now seen as likely to cause the stinging cells to release further venom and urinating on the sting has never been anything other than an old-wive's tale.

The Thais do cook jelly fish. It has a crunchy texture.

Thai will cook anything that walks, crawl, slithers, flies or swims if they can catch it.

Not "bashing", merely stating a fact. wai2.gif

There's a typo in your post, you should have typed "...stating complete fiction.", not "...stating a fact".

Thai will cook anything that walks, crawl, slithers, flies or swims if they can catch it.

There's a typo in your post, you should have typed "...stating complete fiction.", not "...stating a fact".

You have your opinion, which you're entitled to, and I have mine, based on living here for 7 years, and visiting for over 40. Have a nice day, whistling.gif

Farang Jaidee w00t.gif

Using urine is a discredited myth.

http://www.blogher.com/jellyfish-stings-should-i-really-pee

I'm surprised Thais haven't found a way to harvest, cook and sell the eggs... and the jellyfish!

Maybe you're joking, but it realy happens, some few years ago in Ranong, I saw fisherman catching a lot of jellyfish, about the eggs... I'm not sure about that.

I'm surprised Thais haven't found a way to harvest, cook and sell the eggs... and the jellyfish!

Actually they have !!!! I remember eating a jelly fish salad in Hat Yai a few years back and it was delicious. The 'meat' sort of looks like a yellowish flat mushroom with frills and it's crunchy, not exactly an unforgettable taste but the sauce made it interesting.

Farang Jaidee w00t.gif

Both of your suggestions are wrong, not that many people would take medical advice from you on a forum.

Vinegar, (not "vinegar" whatever that is) is now seen as likely to cause the stinging cells to release further venom and urinating on the sting has never been anything other than an old-wive's tale.

Are you suggesting that old wives love to pee on stings ? you kinky gator you.

Edited by Yann55
  • Like 1

They cook it in several ways. I would say more rubbery than crunchy, but

close enough.

MK has it on the menu. No taste at all.

An "exotic" thing to try maybe, but not worth it IMO

A motorcyclist on a high country road, came across a stranded fellow bikie. Seems that the stranded fellow had stopped to take in the scenery and capture some photographic memories.

When they attempted to restart their bike, it would not start.

The passing motorcyclist examined the situation and explained that the carburettor was frozen, and the bikie should wee on it to solve the problem.

The stranded fellow explained that they could not do it on a public road, to which the tutor retorted, "It's easy. Watch" and with that proceeded to relieve himself all over the frozen carburettor.

Yes, the fuel melted sufficiently for a spark in the old bike, and they parted company.

A week later, the passing motorcyclist got a letter from the Chief of Police thanking him for assistance and tutelage of the stranded motorcyclist. He was extremely thankful that his DAUGHTER had arrived home safely, with beautiful photographs of the scenery!!!

"...urinating on the sting has never been anything other than an old-wive's tale."

I'd say lets keep that myth alive. Hilarious.

I hear it's good on facial acne too....

Now you tell me! Just after I urinated on my jelly fish salad.

• Like 1

I second that; tried jelly fish myself on a number of occasions and found it to be nice to go with beer. Similar to some pubs in the UK where free tripe with Ale is served on a Sunday morning.

They cook it in several ways. I would say more rubbery than crunchy, but

close enough.

MK has it on the menu. No taste at all.

An "exotic" thing to try maybe, but not worth it IMO

'more rubbery than crunchy' depends on the way it has been prepared/cooked. However, it has little calories and goes equally as good with beer than peanuts or other fatty snacks.

I second that; tried jelly fish myself on a number of occasions and found it to be nice to go with beer. Similar to some pubs in the UK where free tripe with Ale is served on a Sunday morning.

Where in the UK do pubs sell tripe Sunday morning or otherwise? Sounds like a load of tripe!

Yummy.... I bet jelly fish tripe would make an interesting pub lunch too ... provided you get enough ale to wash it down, that is.

Farang Jaidee w00t.gif

Using urine is a discredited myth.

http://www.blogher.com/jellyfish-stings-should-i-really-pee

I read the link, it doesn't really urine 'doesn't work' it just gives an opinion of why it 'shouldn't work' I live part time in Hawaii and in remote areas, sometimes urine is all you have, it works, at least stops the stinging. we carry small botles of Vinegar and Adolphs Meat tenderizer as well............but the Aussies have that Box Jelly - an ocean of urine or vinegar can't stop those brutes.wink.png

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Viewers!

"jellyfish alert " now on most beaches on the " Pattaya/Jomtien Coast line " Gentlemen please remember that if you do get stung on your legs you must " pull your shorts down and pee on the sting immediately " (Ladies please look the other way.....)

F.J x