Gynaecologist sentenced to death for dismembering his wife released from prison

webfact

CRIME
Gynaecologist sentenced to death for dismembering his wife released from prison

30240179-01_big.jpg
File photo : Wisut

BANGKOK: -- Dr Wisut Boonkasemsanti, a gynaecologist who was found guilty of dismembering his wife's body and flushing her remains down toilets to cover up his grisly crime in 2001, was released from jail today.

He was sentenced to death in 2007. The release was in accordance with the rules of the Corrections Department, as the doctor has already served twothirds of his punishment - 10 years and 10 months - and he has remaining jail time of three years, two months and five days.

His behaviour while in prison was reported as exemplary and he already received two royal pardons, further reducing his sentence

Corrections Department's director general Witthaya Suriyawongse said Wisut is still under observation and he has to report to parole officials every month. He is prohibited from travelling overseas.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Gynaecologist-sentenced-to-death-for-dismembering--30240179.html

[thenation]2014-08-04[/thenation]

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's always hard to say if someone is going to re-offend or not.The general public probably isn't at risk but you wouldn't want to be the "love of his life". It's probably pretty easy to be "exemplary" in prison but I wouldn't know and would not like to find out either. I hope that he is truly rehabilitated.

• Like 2

Hmm so a farang caught with a 1 year overstay gets the same sentence as a Thai doctor who cuts his wife up and flushes her down the toilet: 10 years.

Yep sounds about right.  Amazing Thailand.

Are you saying 1 year overstay give you 10 years in prison ?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It's always hard to say if someone is going to re-offend or not.The general public probably isn't at risk but you wouldn't want to be the "love of his life". It's probably pretty easy to be "exemplary" in prison but I wouldn't know and would not like to find out either. I hope that he is truly rehabilitated.

And given Thai's penchant for spontaneously changing their names, and then he can do it all over again with a new identity. Of course he can keep his name and find a young lass who never reads the news and do it again. If someone is given a death sentence and the authorities aren't going to follow through with it, the least they could do is keep in jail until he dies.

• Like 1

"He was sentenced to death in 2007. The release was in accordance with the rules of the Corrections Department, as the doctor has already served twothirds of his punishment w00t.gif - 10 years and 10 months - and he has remaining jail time of three years, two months and five days.

His behaviour while in prison was reported as exemplary and he already received two royal pardons, further reducing his sentence

Corrections Department's director general Witthaya Suriyawongse said Wisut is still under observation and he has to report to parole officials every month. He is prohibited from travelling overseas." Wow this guy got pardoned after 7 years from a death sentence despite being a doctor sworn to hippocratic oath. I don't if any other country would be granting him a visa anyway. wai2.gif

Yes, I worry about his rehabilitation. The main concern I have regarding this man is to be sure that he will not commit a heinous crime again.

GET LEGAL

You okay there? You appear to be veering into crazy mode, answering every topic with "GET LEGAL" like it actually means something. 

I hate this cheap computer, with no double-like button. I bet if I was rich, like some farangs I could name, I'd have a real computer, with a triple-like button.

You must understand what the concept of a ROYAL PARDON is. His Majesty can grant pardon to whom he pleases. It doesn't matter what he or she has done. If in HM conviction this guy doesn't present a danger to society anymore, having, as it were, served 10 years on death row, the King will issue a pardon. He is not restricted by any institution or Law in this. That's all there is to it. 

• Like 2

Royal pardon are not take to a single individual or generally not specific. They cover categories of crimes.

Because of this system of royal pardon and time off the sentence for time served with good behavior the average time in prison for a murderer is about 10 years in Thailand.

Sent from my IQ9.1 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app