Non imm visas

Hi all, could someone please advise....

Moving to Thailand at the end of the month, our house sale is due to go through on the 20th August and for this reason I'm unable to show the three months worth of money in the bank accounts! We will be requiring a marriage visa and a retirement visa. My question is this.... Can I get a 90 day non imm visa from the UK without showing relevant funds and then extend properly in Thailand? Or do I have to get a multi entry tourist visa and then apply from within Thailand? The only problem with the latter is being able to get a bank account in Thailand on a tourist visa! Could anyone please advise?

Kind regards

What do you mean by marriage visa? Do you mean one based upon retirement and the other as your dependent.

You could check with one of the consulates to see if they will do a a single entry non-o visa without financial proof. 

You can open a bank account with a tourist visa. You just have to try at different banks and branches of the same bank.

A single entry tourist visa would be enough to do change of visa status because as soon as you do it you will get a 90 day entry.

But if one extension is for a dependent they would have to go out to one of the nearby consulates for a single entry non-o visa after you get your extension.

But do I have to show funds in the uk for the non imm visa? Can understand if applying for a one year visa! But 90 days? If I remember you used to be able to do this but didn't they change the rules??

Sorry forgot to mention... I require a marriage visa and my father requires a retirement visa

Marriage to a Thai no problem and no financials.

For your father it might be possible to visit you and your wife with no financials. For retirement financials may be needed for a single entry non-o.. Rules changed last year.

Hmm... Ok thanks for your replies! Tricky sometimes, especially as they seem to change the goalposts every five minutes!

Presumably you are aiming for "extensions of stay" based on marriage and retirement. There's no marriage visa or retirement visa (although the latter is  what some people call the Non-Imm O-A).

They may be moving the goal posts at the embassy and consulates in UK, but for the extensions of stay in Thailand they haven't moved an inch in recent memory.

Edited by Suradit69

Got this email back this morning from the Thai consul in Hull...

If your father is over 65 and getting the state pension, he can apply for a multi-entry 'O' visa by producing either a copy of the annual statement letter he got from the Pensions Service earlier this year or three months bank statements showing the receipt in of the state pension. He can apply for either a single entry (90 days) which is £50 or a multiple entry at £125 which lasts for a year. Bank statements must have his name and address on them.

You are obviously aware that you can apply for the 'O' visa on the basis of your marriage and unfortunately it is necessary to produce evidence you have a monthly income equivalent to 65,000 baht (approx £1300-£1400). You and your father will be applying independently of each other. If you cannot meet the requirements at this stage, you can of course apply for the triple entry tourist visas. Similarly, if your father is not yet 65, this is all he can apply for as well.

There is an O-A visa, which is for people to retire to Thailand. Applicants must be over 50 and must deal directly with the Embassy. I believe the requirements include a clear police check, certificate confirming good health, 800,000 baht in a Thai bank and an interview at the Embassy.

Finally, please note that UK Consulates are no longer allowed to deal with postal applications, only personal applications. Non-immigrant visa applications have to be scanned over to the Embassy so cannot be issued immediately. If you wish to post applications, these can only now be sent to the Royal Thai Embassy in London and you must use the Embassy's form downloaded from its website.