Right or wrong ?

padsterj

I was on one of my usual walks around bangkok a few days ago when suddenly a man was walking next to me he started with the sob story of no money had to flee his country had a wife and kids ect not eaten for a few days and could I help him, I told him to do one he insisted he only needed a bit of food to feed his family,I relented and bought him some rice bread and a few other bits cost me about 400baht he was almost grying when I left him thnking me calling me an angel ect...did i really help him or was I just taken for a ride ?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say you did good. Karma always comes back around.

What country did he say he fled from?

my memory isnt as good as it was but i think he said Bangladesh dont quote me on that though he said he and his family had been beaten and his daughter had her leg broken ect what rang my alarm bells was he was quite insistant i see the pictures I assured him I did not need to see the pictures of his wife and children beaten to a pulp just because they wouldnt change to muslim this is what he told me he said "they told me to convert to muslim or we will kill your family " dont know if I can put that but he said he had no choice but to run with his family . he was an asian man who spoke good english.

I say you did good. Karma always comes back around.

What country did he say he fled from?

my memory isnt as good as it was but i think he said Bangladesh dont quote me on that though he said he and his family had been beaten and his daughter had her leg broken ect what rang my alarm bells was he was quite insistant i see the pictures I assured him I did not need to see the pictures of his wife and children beaten to a pulp just because they wouldnt change to muslim this is what he told me he said "they told me to convert to muslim or we will kill your family " dont know if I can put that but he said he had no choice but to run with his family . he was an asian man who spoke good english.

Now you have told the full story I would say you got shafted royally. Don't tell me it happened somewhere around Nana Plaza area or maybe Suk Soi 5?

• Like 1

Sounds like an elaborate con to me, but the only kink in the story is that you bought him food / necessities instead of giving him cash and he was grateful... Odd indeed...

Yes, that sound strange to me too.

OP, Where did you get the food from, was he guiding you towards a conveniently located nearby food seller or did you just pop into the nearest 7/11 ?

Who knows, the con artists are normally looking for cash so maybe he was genuine.

I saw once in Europe: Story began similar. Woman gave him her bread with sausage and the guy run crazy.

He almost beat her for ruining his business and he want money.....(narcotic guy but the nice young lady didn't recognize it).

So I think this guy was genuine.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Sounds like an elaborate con to me, but the only kink in the story is that you bought him food / necessities instead of giving him cash and he was grateful... Odd indeed...

Con artists need to eat as well..........................wink.png

He might get his money off the next mark.

Edited by chrisinth

The old saying goes

" A wise man believes no one. A good man believes even the liars."

I say never trust a man from the Indian Sub Continent bearing pictures of his brurtalised family. Tell him to get a job selling those nuts that no one buys.

The old saying goes

" A wise man believes no one. A good man believes even the liars."

I say never trust a man from the Indian Sub Continent bearing pictures of his brurtalised family. Tell him to get a job selling those nuts that no one buys.

NO more nut sellers. Let them be tailors. We have enough nut sellers.

• Like 1

You helped him.

It saddens me when I'm walking on an overhead bridge, and there are so many people who walk by and don't give anything. They just treat the poor/homeless like they're animals and they just ignore them. I thought this behavior was only prevalent in America. Guess I was wrong.

I've found that the people who truly give are the most happiest. The other 99% who don't give are normally not happy.

Edited by benj005

You helped him.

It saddens me when I'm walking on an overhead bridge, and there are so many people who walk by and don't give anything. They just treat the poor/homeless like they're animals and they just ignore them. I thought this behavior was only prevalent in America. Guess I was wrong.

I've found that the people who truly give are the most happiest. The other 99% who don't give are normally not happy.

So 99% of the people who don't give to homeless / poor people on an overhead bridge are normally not happy. And according to you you are saddened by watching others not give. So essentially everyone on an overhead bridge is unhappy.

• Like 2

You helped him.

Indeed, your correct. People are not happy that they give, they give because they are happy!