90 Day visa runs

Can anyone explain the point of these crazy visa runs which in my opinion really disadvantages Thailand, because we have to leave the country, spend money in another which we could be spending in Thailand  at sometimes great inconvenience to ourselves. Surely it would be much more advantageous to all if we could just report to our local Immigration office and get stamped for say Bht1000. I really cannot see the logic.

• Like 2

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In reality there is no reason to do a 90 day visa hop - expect these to be clamped down on as well.

The only legal way to live in this country is to get a 12 month extension.

Multiple entry visas are for people who live elsewhere and have valid reason for multiple visits - marriage to a Thai national or business obligations are the most common.

Spending 90 days in country between border hops is too obvious a loophole for them to ignore now.

See http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/748883-non-o-visa-same-day-run-now-not-possible-at-sadao/

Edited by ParadiseLost

You do not have to do visa runs if you use your visa for the correct purpose. You are doing visa runs because you choose to do so and because immigration officers tolerate, for the time being, this incorrect use of your visa.

My wife and I live 6 months in Thailand, 6 months in Europe.

I use a multi non im o visa, and have to do a visa run after 3 months.

What exactly do I do wrongly or incorrectly?

Surely, many others are in the same case.

• Like 1

You do not have to do visa runs if you use your visa for the correct purpose. You are doing visa runs because you choose to do so and because immigration officers tolerate, for the time being, this incorrect use of your visa.

what is your non-o based on? visiting family?

Am I abusing the system, doing something wrongly or incorrectly, as was said?

Is the non im o designed for people like me or not?

Also, I do not want to have lots of money in a Thai bank account in MY NAME only. The money I have in my home bank account will without any problems (or taxes) go to my wife, there is not even a need for a will.

Finally, I prefer dealing with the Thai consulate back home, rather then with immigration in Thailand, for obvious reasons.

• Like 1

Based on visiting my Thai wife, who lives in Thailand 6 months a year.

why dont you apply for a one year extension and get an re-entry  permit to go home?

Wouldn't that involve tying up 400,000 THB?

seems to me, as you are for all intents and purposes living in thailand , that ais what they intend you to do

I do not know the case of many others. In your case, you do not HAVE to a visa run, you CHOOSE to do so. You would have the option of getting a one-year extension of stay, in which case you would have to get only a single-entry non-O visa. I would think that your case is special because most people do not have the opportunity to visit Thailand for six months a year. If you wish to visit another country besides Thailand during your six months away from home, then of course a double-entry or multiple-entry non-O visa is ideal.

The multiple-entry non-O visa to visit the spouse of Thai nationality is designed for people who live, and perhaps also work, outside Thailand and wish to visit a family member of Thai nationality several times a year.

From reading this forum I have the impression that "many others" do not live outside Thailand and visit a Thai family member in Thailand occasionally, but that they live in Thailand and use visa runs to live in Thailand long-term, and the OP's rant about "these crazy visa runs" led me assume that he is in this category. I do not criticise these people for doing this, in view of the fact that immigration tolerates it, if that is their choice, but I fail to understand their complaints as they have the much more convenient and practical option of one-year extensions.

• Like 2

What makes you say I live in Thailand?

I have many more ties with Europe; taxes, pension, citizenship, health care.

I would think the non im o is designed for people like me.

I think it was actually designed for someone who visits family more than once a year. the out/in was not the original intent altho they have allowed it.

why dont you apply for a one year extension and get an re-entry  permit to go home?

The money needs to be in the bank for three months, after which you can withdraw. (Yes, 3 months - 2 months seed and a 30 day under consideration period during which the money cannot be touched.)

I would agree it is easier to use the multi entry, but you may run into problems doing a visa run.

As you are living in the UK and visiting Thailand for extended periods, you are using the correct visa. However, all it takes is one IO on his own mission to decide you are living in this country and visiting UK to give you hassles.

Edited by ParadiseLost

Can anyone explain the point of these crazy visa runs which in my opinion really disadvantages Thailand, because we have to leave the country, spend money in another which we could be spending in Thailand  at sometimes great inconvenience to ourselves. Surely it would be much more advantageous to all if we could just report to our local Immigration office and get stamped for say Bht1000. I really cannot see the logic.

The logic would be for you to get the correct Extension to allow you to stay here. Go to your immigration office and get one, cost, 1,900 baht.

Currently you are using an incorrect Visa process to live here.

You could get an Extension of Stay with re-entry permit.

This would cost you 1,900 (for extension) + 3,800 (re-entry permit) per year.

No need to get another visa (thus saving you the visa cost and inconvenience and future passport pages), just repeat tevery year. You would not need to do a border run after 90 days here, instead just report to immigration, which can be done by post.

Edited by Deacon Bell

so on that logic a non O RETIREMENT visa (which is still available for over 65's and state pension) is just in reality a tourist visa as you would be expected to fly out etc out of thailand every 89 daysblink.png  ...great retirement..living out of a suitcase........ I am talking about a NEW issue visa not going for extensions etc

Edited by terryp

You could get an Extension of Stay with re-entry permit.

This would cost you 1,900 (for extension) + 3,800 (re-entry permit) per year.

No need to get another visa (thus saving you the visa cost and inconvenience and future passport pages), just repeat tevery year. You would not need to do a border run after 90 days here, instead just report to immigration, which can be done by post.

The re-entry permit cost is 1,000 baht for a single entry, if the person spends half the year (continuously) in EU he will only need one.

• Like 2

so on that logic a non O RETIREMENT visa is just in reality a tourist visa as you would be expected to fly out etc out of thailand every 89 daysblink.png  ...great retirement..living out of a suitcase

There is the O-A visa for retirees, otherwise their non-o should be a single entry and extended at immigration.

The only people doing this are those unable to meet the extension requirements? They would most likely be 'living out of a suitcase' in their own countries too...

IF the money in my Thai bank account would go to my widow, quickly, and without will, lawyers or bureaucracy (like in my home country)

IF the risk of "problems" with immigration when extending would be close to zero

..... I would immediately go for the 1 year extension

IF the money in my Thai bank account would go to my widow, quickly, and without will, lawyers or bureaucracy (like in my home country)

IF the risk of "problems" with immigration when extending would be close to zero

I dont think your disapproval of the way things work in thailand would be accepted by thai immigration as a valid reason for using a visa for a purpose other than for what it was intended

Isn't it better to do that then spending the money on visas and visa runs every year? 400k is not that much money when you have a wife in Thailand. And he still have the money if he need it

Well, rest assured it is easy - give the ATM card to your wife. Besides - it is not even 10k EURO...

Problems with immigration are mostly due to (applicants) bad attitude, incorrect paperwork or history of visa abuse. In extreme cases you may be hit for a bribe but this is becoming less likely every day now.

If those problems do not apply to you then...

• Like 2

So you are opting to do the incorrect visa process because of your own personal hang-ups.

Okay, gotcha.

• Like 2

I dont think your disapproval of the way things work in thailand would be accepted by thai immigration as a valid reason for using a visa for a purpose other than for what it was intended

Agree....

But I was only explaining my situation.