90 Day visa runs

When I was not working here, I was told by immigration to get a non-O based on marriage and leave the country every three months. Yes, immigration told me to do that. So I did, and I lived here that way for a few years--immigration was fine with it since it was, after all, their idea.

Luckily for you, (and for me until now) some of the TV posters are not working for immigration....

To be fair, things have changed dramatically now and going on past history is meaningless.

Perhaps if some of the TV posters were working for immigration there would be a clear, uniform set of laws and procedures which were not open to interpretation and corruption...

Yes that would be nice.

Uniform rules, not open to interpretation, no corrution, and throw in: proper appeal procedures.

But I was referring to a different kind of TV posters.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was not working here, I was told by immigration to get a non-O based on marriage and leave the country every three months. Yes, immigration told me to do that. So I did, and I lived here that way for a few years--immigration was fine with it since it was, after all, their idea.

Luckily for you, (and for me until now) some of the TV posters are not working for immigration....

To be fair, things have changed dramatically now and going on past history is meaningless.

Perhaps if some of the TV posters were working for immigration there would be a clear, uniform set of laws and procedures which were not open to interpretation and corruption...

Yes that would be nice.

Uniform rules, not open to interpretation, no corrution, and throw in: proper appeal procedures.

But I was referring to a different kind of TV posters.

Hmm - I'll reserve judgement on that.

I just got back from my Cambodian hop this morning (Chiang Mai - Bangkok - Poipet - Bangkok - Chiang Mai). All of this by bus - yuck! Had to do this because I'm on an extended passport, otherwise Laos would have been the choice target.

Returning through the Thai crossing I saw three people stopped; Russian, French and English. All three had prior history of border-popping on tourist visas.

Without going into too much detail, the English person had been advised by his new employer to perform the crossing prior to the instigation of a new working visa: sensibly cautious, he had verified the ability to do this beforehand. He was nevertheless stopped and told that he would not be allowed through. Following numerous calls from his new workplace, the immigration officer called her supervisor, who in turn called her friend, and after roughly half an hour he was finally let through.

The Russian was apparently told that he would not be allowed into Thailand without an exiting air-ticket(!) and the Frenchman was sent to Phnom Penh.

The border run from my most recent experience is a gamble, and probably not a favourable one if you have a significant history of using this process.

Merely working for Thai immigration would not appear to engender one with all of the current information; perhaps this signifies a state of flux in terms of immigration protocol.

Returning through the Thai crossing I saw three people stopped; Russian, French and English. All three had prior history of border-popping on tourist visas.

I am certain they did not have tourist visas. I think were trying to get another visa exempt entry.

Calling a exempt entry a tourist visa has created a lot confusion already.

I am certain they did not have tourist visas. I think were trying to get another visa exempt entry.

Calling a exempt entry a tourist visa has created a lot confusion already.

Hi ubonjoe,

I think the element of confusion is pretty significant all round wrt Thai immigration policy - it's actually the only fly in the ointment from my perspective. Still feel generally more care-free than I did living in the UK regardless...

I just got back from my Cambodian hop this morning (Chiang Mai - Bangkok - Poipet - Bangkok - Chiang Mai). All of this by bus - yuck! Had to do this because I'm on an extended passport, otherwise Laos would have been the choice target.

Why you didn't go to Mae Sai? No need for Myanmar visa there.

Without going into too much detail, the English person had been advised by his new employer to perform the crossing prior to the instigation of a new working visa: sensibly cautious, he had verified the ability to do this beforehand.

Don't know where he got his information as he would have needed a non-B if he was about to be 'employed'.

Why you didn't go to Mae Sai? No need for Myanmar visa there.

Myanmar does not recognise an extended UK Passport - they would not have let me across the border.

so on that logic a non O RETIREMENT visa (which is still available for over 65's and state pension) is just in reality a tourist visa as you would be expected to fly out etc out of thailand every 89 daysblink.png ...great retirement..living out of a suitcase........ I am talking about a NEW issue visa not going for extensions etc
------------------------------------------------------
Living out of a suitcase due to visa runs every 90 days?

Absolutely unbelievable

Enjoy

so on that logic a non O RETIREMENT visa (which is still available for over 65's and state pension) is just in reality a tourist visa as you would be expected to fly out etc out of thailand every 89 daysblink.png ...great retirement..living out of a suitcase........ I am talking about a NEW issue visa not going for extensions etc

Absolutely unbelievable

Enjoy

a non-o visa isnt a retirement visa.

What exactly are you talking about? You do report to the immagration office after 90 days! If your talking about staying here on a tourist visa then what is your point really? Just apply your own coutries visa rules to Thailand then you won't be disappointed :)

Absolutely unbelievable

Enjoy
[/quote]

Of course it's not.

Absolutely unbelievable

Enjoy
[/quote]

Of course it's not.

and yet you called it a non-o retirement visa available for those over 65! wow!