90 Day visa runs

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IF the money in my Thai bank account would go to my widow, quickly, and without will, lawyers or bureaucracy (like in my home country)

IF the risk of "problems" with immigration when extending would be close to zero

..... I would immediately go for the 1 year extension

So you are opting to do the incorrect visa process because of your own personal hang-ups.

Okay, gotcha.

Possebly 400.000 or 800.000 stuck in a bank account is a personal hang-up?

Okay, gotcha.

Giving code to wife, so she can ILLEGALLY take money after my death? In other threads posters warned against that, as lots of things can go wrong with that solution.

• Like 1

IF the money in my Thai bank account would go to my widow, quickly, and without will, lawyers or bureaucracy (like in my home country)

IF the risk of "problems" with immigration when extending would be close to zero

So you are opting to do the incorrect visa process because of your own personal hang-ups.

Okay, gotcha.

Okay, gotcha.

Giving code to wife, so she can ILLEGALLY take money after my death? In other threads posters warned against that, as lots of things can go wrong with that solution.

You know the rules, just because you don't like them, so don't follow them, does not mean you are using the correct visa process. rolleyes.gif

You should be getting an annual extension and re-entry permit (total cost 2,900b p/a - thank you other poster for pointing out the price difference between single-entry and multiple entry re-entry permits), instead of using a multi-entry visa to live here for 6 months at a time and doing border runs to do so.

Am I abusing the system, doing something wrongly or incorrectly, as was said?

Is the non im o designed for people like me or not?

Also, I do not want to have lots of money in a Thai bank account in MY NAME only. The money I have in my home bank account will without any problems (or taxes) go to my wife, there is not even a need for a will.

Finally, I prefer dealing with the Thai consulate back home, rather then with immigration in Thailand, for obvious reasons.

Your are not abusing the system. Your are not doing anything wrong or incorrectly. Up to the point of your above post, I have not seen anybody saying that your did any of the foregoing.

In your case, you have the choice of doing two things, either stay for maximum 90 days per entry or do the extension. Each of these two choices comes with its own set of conditions to be complied with. You have made your choice, and there is nothing wrong with your choice. The only thing "wrong", if we want to call it that, would be for a member to complain about a condition attached to his choice when he has an alternative without that particular condition. You, Monsieur Ni Dieu Ni Maître, however, have made no such complaint; you have merely stated the facts, ie that with the choice you made you need to do a border run.

• Like 1

Okay, gotcha.

Okay, gotcha.

It's not 800k. It's 400k

And if you have 40k as income or pension you don't need anything in a account. Which I would be very surprised if you don't have, when going back and forth between Europé and Thailand every year

• Like 1

Okay, gotcha.

Okay, gotcha.

Methinks you doth protest too much...

Look, if you want to carry on the way you are then why bother to post here - only to protest?

You are quibbling about 9,500 Euros - if that is your entire estate then I suggest your wife has more concerns than your 90 day visa runs...

Based on visiting my Thai wife, who lives in Thailand 6 months a year.

why dont you apply for a one year extension and get an re-entry  permit to go home?

Wouldn't that involve tying up 400,000 THB?

seems to me, as you are for all intents and purposes living in thailand , that ais what they intend you to do

You replied to a post made by wotamess and I have not seen him say where he is living.

The money needs to be in the bank for three months, after which you can withdraw. (Yes, 3 months - 2 months seed and a 30 day under consideration period during which the money cannot be touched.)

I would agree it is easier to use the multi entry, but you may run into problems doing a visa run.

As you are living in the UK and visiting Thailand for extended periods, you are using the correct visa. However, all it takes is one IO on his own mission to decide you are living in this country and visiting UK to give you hassles.

Whether the multiple-entry visa is easier than the one-year extension of stay is very subjective, in my opinion. Partly, it may of course depend on where you live in Thailand, how far you and your wife would have to travel to the local immigration office, what means of transport are at your disposal, etc.

• Like 1

You do not have to do visa runs if you use your visa for the correct purpose. You are doing visa runs because you choose to do so and because immigration officers tolerate, for the time being, this incorrect use of your visa.

My wife and I live 6 months in Thailand, 6 months in Europe.

I use a multi non im o visa, and have to do a visa run after 3 months.

What exactly do I do wrongly or incorrectly?

Surely, many others are in the same case.

You could get an Extension of Stay with re-entry permit.

This would cost you 1,900 (for extension) + 3,800 (re-entry permit) per year.

No need to get another visa (thus saving you the visa cost and inconvenience and future passport pages), just repeat tevery year. You would not need to do a border run after 90 days here, instead just report to immigration, which can be done by post.

No. Based on the information given by nidieunimaitre, ie six months in Thailand with one border run, ie a same-day departure from and return to Thailand, he would not need a re-entry permit if he chose to do the one-year extension. He simply would not have to do the border run. Aside from that, he has never expressed any concern about the cost of doing it the way he does, but one can sense an implied expression of dissatisfaction about having to do the visa run with his chosen method. 

• Like 2

so on that logic a non O RETIREMENT visa (which is still available for over 65's and state pension) is just in reality a tourist visa as you would be expected to fly out etc out of thailand every 89 daysblink.png  ...great retirement..living out of a suitcase........ I am talking about a NEW issue visa not going for extensions etc

No, because there is no non-O retirement visa.

You do not have to do visa runs if you use your visa for the correct purpose. You are doing visa runs because you choose to do so and because immigration officers tolerate, for the time being, this incorrect use of your visa.

No need to get another visa (thus saving you the visa cost and inconvenience and future passport pages), just repeat tevery year. You would not need to do a border run after 90 days here, instead just report to immigration, which can be done by post.

The re-entry permit cost is 1,000 baht for a single entry, if the person spends half the year (continuously) in EU he will only need one.

The time spent in the EU, continuously or otherwise, has nothing to do with this discussion.

No. Based on the information given by nidieunimaitre, ie six months in Thailand with one border run, ie a same-day departure from and return to Thailand, he would not need a re-entry permit if he chose to do the one-year extension. He simply would not have to do the border run. Aside from that, he has never expressed any concern about the cost of doing it the way he does, but one can sense an implied expression of dissatisfaction about having to do the visa run with his chosen method. 

He would need the re-entry permit to travel to the EU and back, thus avoiding the worry, expense and hassle of obtaining the incorrect visa...

The first is a valid point, but is seems that in the UK, which you indirectly mentioned as your home country, with a will or without a will there would still be some bureaucracy. Where it would be quicker, I do not know. From what I have read about the procedure in Thailand, I believe it can be done without a lawyer in this country. 

The second point does not apply, because the 'risk of "problems" with immigration when extending' would indeed be close to zero.

He would need the re-entry permit to travel to the EU and back, thus avoiding the worry, expense and hassle of obtaining the incorrect visa...

You are right, I overlooked that. Get a visa, single-entry, only the first time, then do a re-entry permit every year. In the meantime, nidieunimaitre has decided, for the reasons he explained, to continue with the multiple-entry non-O visa, and this is a valid choice for his situation.

• Like 1

There is an option available to you, the extension based on retirement. You may not like that because you need to have a certain level of income or have to put money in the bank, but it is available. Surely you have adequate verifiable income so that you need not tie up money in the bank ... money that you would most likely spend during your six month stay anyway.

If you choose not to do it this way, then you are creating the need to do border runs. Since you claim to already have a visa, they are not visa runs, but border runs. You can't seriously expect immigrations to craft personalized visa and extension methods to suit the convenience of everyone who chooses to stay in Thailand.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

There is an option available to you, the extension based on retirement. You may not like that because you need to have an certain level of income or have to put money in the bank, but it is available. Surely you have adequate verifiable income so that you need not tie up money in the bank ... money that you would most likely spend during your six month stay anyway.

If you choose not to do it this way, then you are creating the need to do border runs. Since you claim to already have a visa, they are not visa runs, but border runs. You can seriously expect immigrations to craft personalized visa and extension methods to suit the convenience of everyone who chooses to stay in Thailand.

and

they already have access to 5 months with a non-o and a 60 day extension

so on that logic a non O RETIREMENT visa (which is still available for over 65's and state pension) is just in reality a tourist visa as you would be expected to fly out etc out of thailand every 89 daysblink.png  ...great retirement..living out of a suitcase........ I am talking about a NEW issue visa not going for extensions etc

The non-imm O-A visa is often mislabeled a retirement visa but, by timing it correctly, would allow you to stay in Thailand for a full year  without any need to travel in and out of Thailand every 90 days and once it has been used, you can apply for an extension of stay based on retirement that would not require you to exit and enter Thailand ever. You could even get a second year without applying for an extension by using the O-A for a second entry.

There is no non-imm O retirement visa, although it may be issued based on your wish to retire in Thailand. You would then apply for an extension of stay in Thailand. No need to exit and re-entry the country, ever.

I've been here 8 years based on retirement ... a great retirement ... and others have been here much longer,  without once exiting and re-entering the country, Since this option exists, why should they have a "new issue visa" just to suit you? To get a Visa you will have to go out and in the country which seems to so disturb you. Visas are not issued in-country since they are issued only at embassies and consulates. Extensions are available in-country at Immigrations. Using extensions, you do not need to go in and out.

Your complaint just sounds like a petulant child who wants things just his way. The retirement provisions are suitable for most people who are actually retired. The rules were not made just to suit you as an individual, but they work for the majority of people who they wish to allow in the country for long stays. Many people stay here for decades without having any need to exit and re-enter ever. If understanding and complying with this very accommodating and simple system is too much for you, then find some place that will cater to your demands.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

I'm out of here, this thread is going in the typical TV direction.

Before you give up on everybody... What about getting extension using the income of 40k thb per month option?

Then no need to move 400k Thb to Thailand...

Just need income letter from Embassy in BKK

Before you give up on everybody... What about getting extension using the income of 40k thb per month option?

Thank you for showing interest.

My problem is however, that I don't permanently live in Thailand, my wife and I spend  the European spring/summer in Europe, the winter in Thailand.

To yearly renew my extension I have to be in Thailand at the right time for the renewal.

So married or retirement, income or money in bank do not fit.

For that and other reasons, I have been using multiple non im o until now (I get those visas in my home country), with a boarder run after 3 months.

Some posters say this is NOT the right visa, and maybe Thai immigration will think likewise in the future.

My problem is however, that I don't permanently live in Thailand, my wife and I spend  the European spring/summer in Europe, the winter in Thailand.

To yearly renew my extension I have to be in Thailand at the right time for the renewal.

For that and other reasons, I have been using multiple non im o until now (I get those visas in my home country), with a boarder run after 3 months.

Some posters say this is NOT the right visa, and maybe Thai immigration will think likewise in the future.

if you got your extension while you were in thailand and the extension was for a year, wouldnt it come due when youre back in thailand next year?

• Like 1

That is fine. Immigration does not think anything.

If your wife is Thai you can extend 60 days at immigration for reason of visiting wife. That gives you about 5 months before you need to leave country. You can do that on a single entry visa and save some money there.

That is fine. Immigration does not think anything.

If your wife is Thai you can extend 60 days at immigration for reason of visiting wife. That gives you about 5 months before you need to leave country. You can do that on a single entry visa and save some money there.

Yes, that could be a solution.

5 months on 1 single entry non im o.

7 months in Europe is much though, but maybe Madeira or Tenerife for 3 months would take care of that.

Worth considering!

When I was not working here, I was told by immigration to get a non-O based on marriage and leave the country every three months. Yes, immigration told me to do that. So I did, and I lived here that way for a few years--immigration was fine with it since it was, after all, their idea.

When I was not working here, I was told by immigration to get a non-O based on marriage and leave the country every three months. Yes, immigration told me to do that. So I did, and I lived here that way for a few years--immigration was fine with it since it was, after all, their idea.

Luckily for you, (and for me until now) some of the TV posters are not working for immigration....

Luckily for you, (and for me until now) some of the TV posters are not working for immigration....

To be fair, things have changed dramatically now and going on past history is meaningless.

Perhaps if some of the TV posters were working for immigration there would be a clear, uniform set of laws and procedures which were not open to interpretation and corruption...