Museum of Insects: a Chiang Mai Treasure

Frank James

re

I finally made a visit to the Museum of World Insects and Natural Wonders, in the Nimman neighborhood.

they have another smaller one half way down sunday walking street just before the police station :)

dave2

• Like 1

Seriously, that's how they used to advertise the place. If they didn't like the look of you, they wouldn't let you in.

Of course my fine upstanding self and partner were obviously respectable enough.

biggrin.png

Seriously, that's how they used to advertise the place. If they didn't like the look of you, they wouldn't let you in.

Of course my fine upstanding self and partner were obviously respectable enough.

biggrin.png

Couldn't they have just put a "no riffraff" sign on the door?

Chicoq is right about the doorbell and lookover. The sign by the bell says to ring ONCE and make it a short ring. Thing  Dr. Rampa's daughter (a lovely lady) comes and looks at you through the grille. Somewhat like "The Magic Theatre" in Herman Hesse's great novel Steppenwolf  ("Not for Everybody"). I don't know what their admittance criteria are, but I'm very glad they let me in.

Dr. Rampa and her husband are world renowned experts in everything to do with mosquitoes. In 1957 the doctor was paid 12 baht a day to go into the bush in Thailand and collect mosquitoes all day long. There are many varieties, and a few of them can cause you BIG problems. Next time I want to ask the doctors: what happens to a female mosquito that never gets a chance to draw blood from an animal, and, how long do mosquitoes live?

Also on display is an incredibly diverse collection of the many varieties of those huge beetles that country folk here like to stage fights with. And insects that look just like leaves and sticks. This world flourishes all around us, at least where we haven't killed it off.

Went to the one in Nimman years ago, back when you had to ring the doorbell and they decided whether or not you could come in.

Quite fascinating stuff, especially the mosquito collection.

You mean with a mug like that they let you in?!!!!!!!!

I've been there within the last couple of months and had a great visit.  Apparently, I passed the "Riffraff" sniff test and was allowed in.  Upstairs is some amazing collections of many unique wonders of the oceans, as well as a wonderful collection of other stuff.

CORRECTION: to my post number 11:

"Thing Dr. Rampa's daughter (a lovely lady) comes and looks at you through the grille."

Meant to write " Then Dr. Rampa's daughter...etc." I don't want anyone thinking her name is "Thing."

Sorry.

Nice to know. Thanks.
I just stumbled across the fact BKK has an excellent looking aircraft museum. I haven't
been, but their website looks like they have impressive planes.
Next time in CM I'll see some bugs and next time in BKK I'll catch some planes.

biggrin.png

Couldn't they have just put a "no riffraff" sign on the door?

And of course the 'free water' sign!

Nice to know. Thanks.
I just stumbled across the fact BKK has an excellent looking aircraft museum. I haven't
been, but their website looks like they have impressive planes.
Next time in CM I'll see some bugs and next time in BKK I'll catch some planes.

Go and look for the DC3 on Koh Kret - an island in Bangkok!
  • Like 1