applying for USA social security benefits while in Thailand

watgate

I will be residing in Chiang Mai this winter and will be entitled to start receiving social security benefits from the USA when I turn 62 on 1/18/2015. I was told by my local social security office in the USA that I can apply on November 1, 2014. I have been told from a knowledgeable individual that I can apply online in Thailand but it must be done while the Social Security offices are open in the U.S. My question is should I make an appointment with the U.S Consulate office in Chiang Mai to help in this matter? Any info or previous experiences with this particuler issue would be appreciated.

rolleyes.gif Yes, make an appointment and go to the consulate in Chiang Mai.

However, I don't believe they will do it there.

They may take your forms and such but I believe all processing will be through the Social Security office in the Philippines as that is the nearest Social Security office that serves Thailand.

But first ask at the U.S. consulate in Chiang Mai.

You can't apply on line as you live outside of the US, or at least in the past you couldn't.  All applications for SEA are handled by the office in Manila.  Google them and get their email address and they will send you all of the necessary info, there;s no need to go to the Consulate to pick up the paperwork.   I've been receiving my payments here in Thailand for 8 years with no problems.  Direct deposit to a "special" Bangkok Bank account. 

I have heard additional trouble if SSA sends money to o'seas bank. They send my monthly money to my USA bank and then i transfer to Bangkok Bank New York which is directly connected to Bangkok Bank here and i get my money.  Yes, small fee each time but in fact i don't need the monthly so only occasional transfers needed.  If you are only a visitor here this may be an option for you.  Must get Bangkok Bank account in T'land first.

• Like 1

The SS office at the US Embassy in Manila is for all of East-Asia Pacific Region. I applied threw it 8 years ago from Chiang Mai. Contact information below. I contacted them by email with my personal details including Thai phone number. They emailed me back on confirmation and scheduled a telephone interview. The called me on the date and the interview was completed. I did have to go to the US Consulate for notarization of some docs for them, The notary fee is waved at the consulate for SS. I DHL these documents to Manila.

ALL SERVICES PROVIDED BY SOCIAL SECURITY ARE FREE OF CHARGE.

DARRIN K. MORGANRegional Federal Benefits Officer

Social Security Administration
United States Embassy
1201 Roxas Blvd., Ermita
0930 Manila, Philippines

Contact Information:
Phone: (632) 301-2000 ext. 9
Fax: (632) 708-9723 and (632) 708-9714
E-mail: [email protected]

http://manila.usembassy.gov/us-agencies2/the-social-security-administration-division2.html

Watgate, are you going to be living in Chiang Mai year-round or will you just happen to be in Chiang Mai for a few months during the time when you happen to turn 62? If you apply thru Manila, you will have to use your Thailand address for your your address of record with the Social Security Administration. You can still have your payment direct deposited to a U.S. bank however.

When Hubby turned 62, he applied using the procedure kwaibah described above. I handled the phone interview since he has trouble hearing on the phone. I asked if he could use our U.S. mail address, which is a commercial mail forwarding service in Miami, Fl. We want important gov't correspondence (like from the IRS) to come to that address, not our condo office in Chiang Mai). Manila SSA said no -- if we want to have the Miami address be the address of record for SSA, then Hubby had to go to Miami to apply for his SS benefit!

There doesn't seem to be any problem with the IRS using the Miami address and SSA using the Chiang Mai address. But, we do need to watch out for the annual "proof of life" letter from SSA. One year it never arrived and Hubby's benefit payment was stopped. It was an inconvenience to get it started again. If he'd been able to use the Miami address to set up his SS, that "proof of life" letter wouldn't have been lost. Edited by NancyL

I applied online from Chiang Mai, and never have dealt with the folks in Manila at all.  However, In my case (and maybe yours as well) I continue to have a US mailing address, i.e., my brother's house.  As far as SSA is concerned, I do not reside out of the country; my monthly check is deposited directly to my credit union there.  Periodically I will have money transferred to the Bangkok Bank in New York.  In 12-24 hours my money arrives in my account in Chiang Mai.  Easy.

• Like 1

I applied online from Chiang Mai, and never have dealt with the folks in Manila at all.  However, In my case (and maybe yours as well) I continue to have a US mailing address, i.e., my brother's house.  As far as SSA is concerned, I do not reside out of the country; my monthly check is deposited directly to my credit union there.  Periodically I will have money transferred to the Bangkok Bank in New York.  In 12-24 hours my money arrives in my account in Chiang Mai.  Easy.

I did the same two years ago and helped a friend do his last year.  it was simple, although I was asked to contact them by phone to verify some information.  The woman helping me was extremely helpful, pleasant, and dealt only with expats.  She even worked odd hours to assist with different time zones.  I used my Chiang Mai address and have checks deposited in U.S. Bank.

I don't know why one would have to contact the U.S. Consulate or Manila.  I did not have to submit any documents or other items.  All necessary info was in the SS computers already.

The only headache was that I had a internet connection problem with parts of the secure U.S. site.  This has been discussed on Thai Visa before. I had to connect using a VPN. I believe this varies with different internet providers.

Try online before going through all the other recommended hoops. 

I did the same two years ago and helped a friend do his last year.  it was simple, although I was asked to contact them by phone to verify some information.  The woman helping me was extremely helpful, pleasant, and dealt only with expats.  She even worked odd hours to assist with different time zones.  I used my Chiang Mai address and have checks deposited in U.S. Bank.

I don't know why one would have to contact the U.S. Consulate or Manila.  I did not have to submit any documents or other items.  All necessary info was in the SS computers already.

The only headache was that I had a internet connection problem with parts of the secure U.S. site.  This has been discussed on Thai Visa before. I had to connect using a VPN. I believe this varies with different internet providers.

Try online before going through all the other recommended hoops. 

Because  a lot of US expats have not lived in the US for some time and retire from over seas, Simple. The SS office is  extremely efficient and helpful.

Edited by khwaibah

I use my sisters address in the states. Is their any advantage to changing to my Thailand address. The money goes into a Wells Fargo account and is not a problem as I just use it when I use my Wells Fargo credit card. Transfer the funds on line from my savings account and pay no interest on it.

Mine is not a large amount of money as I retired at 62 with the minimum amount of time in to the system and they had told me the rate I would get at 65 even though I insisted I was retiring at 62 they insisted that was the rate I would get. When I received my first check was I surprised and they refused to do any thing about it. Even though I called them went in to see them a year later. Communicated with them on line a year later. A few years ago contacted their Manila office and was ignored.

Supposedly when you transfer (any, not just SSA) funds from the US to Bangkok Bank account here it automatically passes through the Bangkok Bank NYC clearing house. Therefore, a very small transfer fee is all that should happen. However, my credit union treats it as an overseas transfer and charges $40, and gives my daughter a bad time every time she goes there in person to do it. Every time, they act like it's highly unusual, like they've never done it before. Needless to say, I will be dropping them next time I go back for a visit.

I still find it preferable to have my SSA monthly insult sent to a US bank. Things are a bit unsettled here, at this time.

I'll tell you what Mr. Frank James.  Since you are so insulted by the monthly govt check that is sent to you, why don't you just have it sent over to me.  That way you can make yourself happy by never being insulted again, and make me happy with the US$1K, which will give me, oh say, 20 rounds of golf each month.  I need my exercise. Thanks.  Send me a PM for details of USA bank. 

I'll tell you what Mr. Frank James.  Since you are so insulted by the monthly govt check that is sent to you, why don't you just have it sent over to me.  That way you can make yourself happy by never being insulted again, and make me happy with the US$1K, which will give me, oh say, 20 rounds of golf each month.  I need my exercise. Thanks.  Send me a PM for details of USA bank. 

Inane, unoriginal, and simplistic.  On the other hand, misinformed.  Are you under the impression that all SSA payments are $1K ? 

I was being facetious about the "monthly insult". I was recalling what my father used to call his bi-weekly paycheck. But then you took it and ran all the way out in the weeds with it, for what reason I don't know.

Have another drink.

Inane, unoriginal, and simplistic.  On the other hand, misinformed.  Are you under the impression that all SSA payments are $1K ? 

You got that right. Mine isn't even half of it.

I use my sisters address in the states. Is their any advantage to changing to my Thailand address

Social Security does send forms on a yearly basis, and other info, that may need a signature and returned.  Recieving it directly here seems easier than forwarding from a U.S. address.  My checks are depositied in a U.S. bank. 

The amount you get is based on your 35 highest years of contributions. If you dont have 35 years, then a zero is averaged in.

A payment can be a few hundred up to I think $2600. That is if you wait until full retirement age. You obviously get less at 62 and more if you wait until 70.

I know the payments vary, the average about 1K, and that's all i get. Many folks suffer from 'entitlement fever' and think they should be getting lots more coz others do. That sounded like Frank James when he 'insulted' his meager portion. More drinks may help u, but never will me. 

Sorry for disparaging comments Frank. 1K in USA doesn't go far so stretching it in T'land  makes good sense. 

I know the payments vary, the average about 1K, and that's all i get. Many folks suffer from 'entitlement fever' and think they should be getting lots more coz others do. That sounded like Frank James when he 'insulted' his meager portion. More drinks may help u, but never will me. 

Sorry for disparaging comments Frank. 1K in USA doesn't go far so stretching it in T'land  makes good sense. 

• Like 1

I am grateful for the monthly SSA that I receive. Naturally, I wish it were more. Every once in a while, I look to the sky, and say, "Thank You, President Franklin D. Roosevelt. You were the Greatest of them all! A crippled man, who took a crippled country, and taught it how to walk again."

• Like 1

Like I said above the amount is based on how much and how long you paid in. You need a minimum of 10 years (40 credits) to get anything on your own work record. They average your highest 35 years with a max payment around $2600.

Some countries make it hard to take a pension abroad so be grateful. My understanding is the UK suspends any COLAs once you leave the UK. Edited by BKKSnowBird

Supposedly when you transfer (any, not just SSA) funds from the US to Bangkok Bank account here it automatically passes through the Bangkok Bank NYC clearing house. Therefore, a very small transfer fee is all that should happen. However, my credit union treats it as an overseas transfer and charges $40, and gives my daughter a bad time every time she goes there in person to do it. Every time, they act like it's highly unusual, like they've never done it before. Needless to say, I will be dropping them next time I go back for a visit.

I still find it preferable to have my SSA monthly insult sent to a US bank. Things are a bit unsettled here, at this time.

Frank, on a number of occasions, off and on over the years, my credit union also charged the international transfer fee of $40.  I hadn't been checking on the fee every time I made a transfer, but one time I noticed that it was wrong.  The domestic fee is $25. 

After contacting the credit union and explaining this, they made adjustments for all the times they'd applied the incorrect fee.  For a few minutes it felt like I'd won a (small) lottery!

Now when I request a transfer I always add the note that this is a domestic transfer to New York, not Bangkok.  There hasn't been a problem since.

Visit or make a call to your credit union and ask them to adjust the fees.  You should be getting a refund which looks better in your pocket than in theirs.

• Like 1