Only 9 Chinese cities reach air quality standards

webfact

Only 9 Chinese cities reach air quality standards
By Digital Content

BEIJING, Aug 6 (Xinhua) -- Only nine of 161 Chinese cities reached the new -- and stricter -- air quality monitoring standards in the first half of this year, according to the Ministry of Environmental Protection (MEP).

Zhoushan, Shenzhen, Zhuhai, Zhanjiang, Yunfu, Beihai, Sanya and Lhasa are the cities which reached the standard, the ministry said.

China in February 2012 issued a new air quality monitoring standard which includes the monitoring of ozone, carbon monoxide and PM2.5, plus that of PM10, sulfur dioxide and nitrogen dioxide.

Of 166 cities that have not yet implemented the new standard, 105 reached standard, 63.3 percent of the total, a 7.1 percentage point drop compared to the same period of last year.

Cities using new standard are mainly located in north China's Hebei Province and the neighboring Beijing, Tianjin, the Yangtze River Delta in the east, the Pearl River Delta in the south.

The ministry ranks and publishes the air quality indices of 74 major cities on a monthly basis. Compared to 2013, air quality in the 74 cities has improved. The days reaching standard on average increased from 58.7 percent to 60.3 percent. (Xinhua)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-08-06

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zhuhai next to Macao and Shenzhen next to Hong Kong are pleasant seaside cities that are clean, mostly modern, convenient. Shenzhen is a particularly lively place given it's become an informal extension of HKG. The Boyz in Beijing want to merge SZ and HKG but neither city will accept that as too big to manage and see it anyway as a power grab by Beijing since the Boyz have so little control over either, HKG in particular.

However corporate executives from around the world regularly have to cut short their trips to PRChinese cities because of the pollution.

Each November when cities in the North turn on their state owned and operated city-wide indoor heating systems the smokestacks belch black day and night. Newer cities such as Dalian across from S Korea don't create such problems but Dalian and some other cities do gag on the dreadful black smoke from the surrounding mass of older cities.

The CCP committed a gross error 30 years ago when it cavalierly decided (without consultation) the PRChinese people would accept as progress the massive and devastating pollution of their air, water, soil. After all, so figured the Boyz, the whole of the 19th century was a tolerated environmental disaster in the industrialized West.....the 19th century.

My PRChinese friends advise me the powder keg of revolt lies in the developing mass protests against pollution more than anything else that could be the spark. The CCP state repressive apparatus will have to come down hard on environmental protesters in order to maintain order.

Or disorder.

• Like 1

"My PRChinese friends advise me the powder keg of revolt lies in the developing mass protests against pollution more than anything else that could be the spark. The CCP state repressive apparatus will have to come down hard on environmental protesters in order to maintain order.

Or disorder."

I believe it, I was shocked to see people in a luxury supermarket in Shanghai paying 30-40 RMB (ie: 150-200 baht) for a litre-sized bottle of imported water. Obviously the masses could not afford that (with average monthly salaries hovering around 1500-2000 rmb/month) so basically it's the factory bosses and crooked power bosses paying vast sums for clean food/air/(or even more ideally for them, immigration to the west) while the masses slave away. So much for a communist paradise.

• Like 1

They deserve what they have?

I remember visiting my family in Hong Kong and we went to visit the end of the new territory over looking what is now called Shenzhen before China opened up. Thereafter I read a article written in the Hong Kong paper talking about how the China's Leader had a chance to prevent what is happening to their cities now. That as China opens up to the west they will be buying refrigerators cars etc.. etc.. that their leaders have the opportunity to required manufacture to produce better energy produces, if not, their cities would be polluted and China one day would be the world leader in pollution and will punch a hole in our atmosphere. Guess what they did nothing.

The Chinese are pissed and the govt is worried what people will do because of all the pollution. Worse yet is the water quality problems Chine is facing.

Lucky I live in Kunming and have a private water source.

• Like 1

I agree and it's sad very sad for the country that a basic right is taken away

I hope to see many cheap factories shut down, slower growth, less consumerism and a slower appreciation not all growth is good.

Sent from my iPod touch using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

I hope to see many cheap factories shut down, slower growth, less consumerism and a slower appreciation not all growth is good.

The problem (well, one of many) is the corrupt politicians in China, who's success (read lining their pockets) is tied to economic growth in their precincts. Anything that may curb growth--for example, controlling pollution--is stomped out immediately. China has a lot, and I mean a lot, of cleaning up to do. Not just literally, but figuratively as well.

• Like 1

The problem (well, one of many) is the corrupt politicians in China, who's success (read lining their pockets) is tied to economic growth in their precincts. Anything that may curb growth--for example, controlling pollution--is stomped out immediately. China has a lot, and I mean a lot, of cleaning up to do. Not just literally, but figuratively as well.

[/quote

Agree with you ...it's starts with this president and he has broken a few golden goose rules and protective scopes and I hope it reaches the right levels ..

In saying that I also hope countries are prepared for a slower china economic growth as it has a worldwide impact when they do so

Moderation is the key and I hope for the greater good of the country they slow it down.

Economic growth does not need to come at the expense of environmental protection.

It is possible to have both. But China doesn't get it.

Politically, socially and ecologically toxic driven by rampant materialism fuelled by the CCP leadership in Beijing.

The new president has led a new wave of anti corruption measures that had led to lower revenues in hotels with less government banquet ...I work in this business and have the data of most 5 star chains I work with to back it up and LMVH who market most of the luxury brands worldwide have seen a first dip in their revenue for the Chinese market after the measures of gift buying is curbed

However in the cynical eyes of the west it's still toxic leadership

I bet most of the western leaders think they can do a better job in managing a vast landscape of 1.3 billion people and in reality have m their own difficulties themselves on their own countries

In the next 20 years it will be interesting to judge china 2 term leadership if they have made a significant inroad of managing economic growth and environmental protection measures

However in the cynical eyes of the west it's still toxic leadership

They'd be a lot less cynical if the CCP didn't have such a predictable history of cleaning house occasionally, just to make some room for their own family and cronies at the trough.

Hundred Flowers Campaign ring any bells? How about Naked Officials? Heck, the Cultural Revolution killed millions in a thinly veiled (and tragic) attempt by Mao to keep his power from slipping away.

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. Just a different offshore account number.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

I think you'll find that most of us who spent significant time in China have a ton of respect and affection for the workaday Chinese people.

For their leaders, not so much. (But I'd say the same about my own folks and leaders in the USA)

I have to admit I was actually a fanboy of Grandpa Wen for most of his tenure. That's a little embarrassing since 2012.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

"I think you'll find that most of us who spent significant time in China have a ton of respect and affection for the workaday Chinese people.

For their leaders, not so much. (But I'd say the same about my own folks and leaders in the USA)"

^^^exactly. But there is something comforting in the fact that whenever abuses occur in the US, people rise up and ultimately put a stop to it, such as with slavery or environmental degradation (but fighting the top-level of crooks is more difficult). In countries like PRC and Saudi Arabia there doesn't seem to be this self-correcting mechanism, and the rulers aren't as enlightened as they consider themselves to be, so there's no sign that wrongs such as slavery, environmental degradation, or imperialism sponsored by these countries will be coming to an end on their own.

Edited by squarethecircle

China has massive environmental problems. Air quality is just one. Water is undrinkable, and unavailable, in many areas, food is tainted with poor sanitary practices, and the Gobi desert is creeping in at an amazing rate.

This is an interesting article:

http://www.economist.com/news/briefing/21583245-china-worlds-worst-polluter-largest-investor-green-energy-its-rise-will-have

A study released by America’s National Academy of Sciences in July found that air pollution in the north of China reduces life expectancy by five-and-a-half years.

China’s greenhouse-gas emissions were about 10% of the world’s total in 1990. Now they are nearer 30%. Since 2000 China alone has accounted for two-thirds of the global growth in carbon-dioxide emissions.

A 2006 survey found that almost 10% of farmland was contaminated with heavy metals, such as cadmium.

It accounts for 16% of world output but consumes between 40% and 50% of the world’s coal, copper, steel, nickel, aluminium and zinc. It also imports half the planet’s tropical logs and raises half its pigs.

Between 1990 and 2050 its cumulative emissions from energy will amount to some 500 billion tonnes—roughly the same as those of the whole world from the beginning of the industrial revolution to 1970.

And of course the biggie:

The costs of environmental and natural-resource degradation, according to the World Bank, are the equivalent of 9% of GDP, an enormous amount which is dragging down the long-term growth rate.

• Like 1

China has massive environmental problems. Air quality is just one. Water is undrinkable, and unavailable, in many areas, food is tainted with poor sanitary practices, and the Gobi desert is creeping in at an amazing rate.

This is an interesting article:

http://www.economist.com/news/briefing/21583245-china-worlds-worst-polluter-largest-investor-green-energy-its-rise-will-have

A study released by America’s National Academy of Sciences in July found that air pollution in the north of China reduces life expectancy by five-and-a-half years.

China’s greenhouse-gas emissions were about 10% of the world’s total in 1990. Now they are nearer 30%. Since 2000 China alone has accounted for two-thirds of the global growth in carbon-dioxide emissions.

A 2006 survey found that almost 10% of farmland was contaminated with heavy metals, such as cadmium.

It accounts for 16% of world output but consumes between 40% and 50% of the world’s coal, copper, steel, nickel, aluminium and zinc. It also imports half the planet’s tropical logs and raises half its pigs.

Between 1990 and 2050 its cumulative emissions from energy will amount to some 500 billion tonnes—roughly the same as those of the whole world from the beginning of the industrial revolution to 1970.

And of course the biggie:

The costs of environmental and natural-resource degradation, according to the World Bank, are the equivalent of 9% of GDP, an enormous amount which is dragging down the long-term growth rate.

Sadly all are true..I am looking towards this and the next leadership to make an impactful change

For too long in the last 30 years china has sacrifice that for economic growth and taking on the onus of cheap production for the world

The air is unmeasurable on certain days in Beijing which is also limiting my own stay there for long stints for work

It's sad the Chinese don't have that option ...however the rich like everywhere else in the world and looking for options to move out and they have

The middle class and the poor are stuck again just like anywhere else in the world

• Like 1

He CCP either grows GDP or die politically. They need 30 million new jobs a year just to absorb the new labour and graduates every year into the labour market.

There will be a reckoning one day.

"I think you'll find that most of us who spent significant time in China have a ton of respect and affection for the workaday Chinese people.

For their leaders, not so much. (But I'd say the same about my own folks and leaders in the USA)"

^^^exactly. But there is something comforting in the fact that whenever abuses occur in the US, people rise up and ultimately put a stop to it, such as with slavery or environmental degradation (but fighting the top-level of crooks is more difficult). In countries like PRC and Saudi Arabia there doesn't seem to be this self-correcting mechanism, and the rulers aren't as enlightened as they consider themselves to be, so there's no sign that wrongs such as slavery, environmental degradation, or imperialism sponsored by these countries will be coming to an end on their own.

I think the complexity of managing 1.3 billion growing to 1.8 and 600 dialects and minority groups is a challenge for any government ...they are not the best nor will all their decisions ever be perfect for such a diverse group and they are rowing to accept that it's fine ...remember their fundamental belief is communist and it's hard for the communist to agree that they have failed ...

That may be hard to understand but in sync with their culture it's easier to try to see things in their perspective that failure is not an option ...however they are lowing trying to adjust and see that minor admissions are fine and getting there slowly

The reality is whether the world would be able to accept the common good decision making process is acceptable by world standards

Looking at the difficultly Michael Bloomberg has just trying to implement an anti up size soda drink in New York tells you simplicity in thinking may not always solve the city's complex issues and problems and that's a smart and brilliant businessman at it trying to manage just one city

Sweeping China's present problems to inept leadership is a weak admission to failure of not trying and hopefully no government or those that aspire to be leaders would shrink away from that just for the fear of being a failure.

What I can’t believe is that the CCP hasn’t taken a trick from the western democracy playbook.

Split the party up into 2 teams. Call them “Man United” and “Arsenal”. (or Donkeys and Elephants)

Put up one candidate from each team (both staunch CCP members) for election each time they change leadership

Let the people think they really have a choice.

Win-win-win.

The people will be deluded into thinking they actually have a meaningful choice

The pesky western democracies will have to get off their backs

They may find the people know more about the local candidates than they realize- and end up with fewer embarrassments and better leaders

Been working for the Republicrats for decades. (Or is that the Demicans- I get them confused all the time)

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

^^^good one, but a kind of hypocrisy I've noticed with the powers-that-be in the PRC (and Russia for that matter) that is not present in the PTB in the US is: they use the state propaganda channels to build up hatred for foreign countries such as in the west, all the while moving their assets and lives over to those countries, taking advantage of their systems, etc. Rather ironic, eh? I think reporting on this is what got Washington Post and NYT blocked by the censors there. I guess there is no way for the censors to block out the air quality standards, though.

Ecological toxicity, the subject of this thread, is a manifestation of an underlying toxicity in the socio-political fabric of China.

12 very powerful men in Beijing with the same mindset running a country of 1.3billion people is not healthy.

Ecological toxicity, the subject of this thread, is a manifestation of an underlying toxicity in the socio-political fabric of China.

12 very powerful men in Beijing with the same mindset running a country of 1.3billion people is not healthy.

The power of a free press is very alluring ...the question is if all reporting is correct ...who would want to host 1.3 panicking fleeing Chinese ?

I take care of only 1500 people and at times I worry what I have to say , how I have to say it and when I have to say it do that I don't create unnecessary worry for them on their job security and prospects

Anyone who has been ever in top management struggle with that....the rest of the doubting Thomas probably never had more responsibility than just taking care of themselves and what to buy at 7-11 for dinner

Instead of thinking the 12 are evil people ...think of the immensity of the task of making a decision for 1.3 billion people ...every decision you make is going to be hated by some corner thinking it's unfair or you have some agenda ...

How does one make a decision for 1.3 billion and being seen as fair or responsible for every decision ?