Passport renewal - No transfer of remaining duration of Visa

I just picked up my new US passport and the below notice was supplied.  It implies that they will not transfer the Visa (I assume permission of stay) to the new passport and you have to reapply for it.  This is a significant issue obviously and don't know what will happen when I go to Immigration this afternoon to transfer my permission of stay based on work. 

My extension expires at the end of September and new contract already being started to get my new annual extension and WP.   No way I can get new paperwork from work to cover just these 7 weeks as it takes weeks to generate the documentation. 

Has anyone encountered problems with transfer of extension to new passport?  And why US specific?

[attachment=278079:US Consulate.jpg]

That is only for visas with more than one entry. They will still transfer extensions of stay to a new passport.

It may also be referring the change almost a year ago when immigration started to do shortened extensions if you don't have a full year left on your passport when you apply for it.

Thanks for that, can dial back my panic a notch. biggrin.png   Wasn't sure they were referring to Visas or extensions of stay as they seem to often get interchanged.  Will update my experience at immigration after doing the transfer this afternoon.

Edited by OccamsRazor

"And why US specific?"

The situation is not specific to US passports. The notice was merely to you provided by the US Embassy folks.

Whatever Permitted To Stay date you have will be transferred intact.

In the past, if you received less than one year for your extension because that would have exceeded the validity date of your passport, you would get bumped to the full year when you got your stamps transferred. That small convenience is no longer part of the process. 

"And why US specific?"

The situation is not specific to US passports. The notice was merely to you provided by the US Embassy folks.

Whatever Permitted To Stay date you have will be transferred intact.

In the past, if you received less than one year for your extension because that would have exceeded the validity date of your passport, you would get bumped to the full year when you got your stamps transferred. That small convenience is no longer part of the process. 

Was not the US Embassy was the US Consulate in Chiang Mai. Up until now the US Consulate always with out asking gave a letter to the new passport holder requesting that immigration give the holder assistant. This notice is on a new 10 year US passport.

The op inter swaps the words permission to to stay with extension to stay which can make it confusing.

Edited by khwaibah

But what is the law about that, I read something about that in the Immigration office near Don Mueang one month ago, for what I remember they say something like

"Now, We can only transfer visas that expire before the expiration of the passport, for visas that expire after the expiration day of the passport you will need to apply for the visa again"

Sorry for not remember well but that is what I understand.

From immigration website.

According to the New Regulation from August 13, 2013, when submitting application for Visa Extension if the validity of passport of the applicant is not longer than one year left before expiry, the extension of stay will be permitted not exceeding the expired date of passport. 
After the renewal of your passport of obtaining a new passport, you have to re-apply for Visa Extension by submitting required document and paying extension fee ( 1,900 Baht ). 

After you get a new passport they will transfer the stamps for the shortened extension to the it.

• Like 1

The op inter swaps the words permission to to stay with extension to stay which can make it confusing.

Actually I didn't really swap them as I'm very aware of the differences just wanted it clarified that the Consulate notice was not confusing them and that it indeed is pertaining to Visas. smile.png

Anyway, went without a hitch.  They don't say on the immigration website what documents are require other than the transfer form so just used previous experience as to what they may require and was exactly what they wanted.

1. Copy of old passport pages and departure card, signed on each

2. Copy of new passport page and departure card, signed

3. Letter of request from the consulate requesting the transfer.

4. Filled out transfer stamp to new passport (no TM number).  Filled and printed out at home in advance.

Also had to fill out and sign the new form showing the new overstay penalties.

Edited by OccamsRazor

Thanks for that, can dial back my panic a notch. biggrin.png   Wasn't sure they were referring to Visas or extensions of stay as they seem to often get interchanged.  Will update my experience at immigration after doing the transfer this afternoon.

I got a new US passport a couple of weeks ago and then took the passports. application, photocopies, the letter from the US embassy etc to immigrations at Jomtien.

They stamped and noted in my new passport (1)the type &  date of issue of the O-A visa I used when I entered the country (2) the date I entered the country and (3) my current extension of stay. No problem.