What's with the "compelling reason to return"

OK I just don't get it. At present I'm about to lodge application for thai gf to visit AU. Apparently the main gig for immigration is "compelling reason to return" .....They cite a job as one important reason. Hells bells, my first gf here worked in an office an was in charge of 8 staff. Oh befor the usual suspects say I'm naive, i worked out of the office on occasions. Anyway her salary was 25k a month with one day off a week. No sick leave etc. Hardly a reason to return to bkk. Oh yes and never mention you met her in a bar. Apparently that means she is a low life. What do members think.

Because they come from a High Risk country meaning many overstay their visa, they take a dim view, that on probability, she will overstay and "break the rules". They want to see her reasons for not staying in our wonderful country like many high riskers have done before.

Nothing wrong with saying you met each other, I don't understand why you have to say in a bar, in the street, at a karaoke bar, playing footy, on the beach, eating lunch with the homeless. Does it matter where you met? and why do you have to say that at all?

Start the story with we met in (insert date here)

Edited by Gopro
  • Like 2

Yes appreciate what your saying about where you meet. I did not mention bar. I guess what I'm on about is the emphasis on "having a job to return to" ....for heavens sake most jobs pay nothing compared to western standards.

If anything the ladies from the bars have better options financially to return to.

I one young friend who works at tie shop in platinum ...she gets 10k a month. Excellent reason to return to Thailand from AU

Hopefully she will not pick up on your attitude when she goes for her interview. Whether or not you agree with the criteria you would be best off to not infect her with your righteous indignation at the rules

There is another thread here about a Thai wife flippantly telling the interviewer at the US Embassy "up to you " and now the husband is wondering why she was given a 10 year ban

When it comes to a 'compelling reason to return' ... that can mean many things ... just not a waged or salaried job.

For example, a Isaan Lady might have to return at a certain date to help with a Rice Harvest.

I read recently about a season Tourist worker who was coming for a visit during the low season but had to return in November because that was the shoulder of the high season.

The primary carer of a sick relative might get a short holiday away, but have to return to help with the palliative care.

I hope those reasons might extend the conception of the 'compelling reason to return'.

Good Luck with the Visa Application ... thumbsup.gif

When it comes to a 'compelling reason to return' ... that can mean many things ... just not a waged or salaried job.

For example, a Isaan Lady might have to return at a certain date to help with a Rice harvest.

I doubt that returning to cut rice in the hot Issan sun would be regarded as a compelling reason to return!

Quite the reverse in fact.

For example, a Isaan Lady might have to return at a certain date to help with a Rice harvest.

I doubt that returning to cut rice in the hot Issan sun would be regarded as a compelling reason to return!

Jay, thanks for your contribution to the debate.

Have you ever done an Australian Visa Application?

Like many things ... it's not what you say ... but how you say it ... rolleyes.gif

I don't think Jay could reach down from that high horse of his to apply for anything...

• Like 1

Like many things ... it's not what you say ... but how you say it ... rolleyes.gif

I certainly have. Took me over a year back in 1987 to get the right to take my family to live,work and settle in Perth..the most remote city on this planet .

As for the desire to return home....pretty much summed up by a taxi drivers t shirt in a mining town in Qeensland.

Happiness is Mt Isa in your rear view mirror.

Although to be fair Isa is paradise compared to Marble Bar.

I certainly have. Took me over a year back in 1987 ...

I am sure your contribution will be well regarded then.

Things probably don't change much in the past 25 years.

• Like 2

I think you have hit the nail on the head.

Howard Sattlers Perth radio interview on 6PR of Julia Gillard which saw him sacked last year underscores that things have not changed much since the days of Hinch.

Tony Abbott does not exactly have open arms for the world!

I think you have hit the nail on the head.

Howard Sattlers Perth radio interview on 6PR of Julia Gillard which saw him sacked last year underscores that things have not changed much since the days of Hinch.

Tony Abbott does not exactly have open arms for the world!

Looks like that one went through to the keeper David48wink.png

• Like 2

For example, a Isaan Lady might have to return at a certain date to help with a Rice Harvest.

I read recently about a season Tourist worker who was coming for a visit during the low season but had to return in November because that was the shoulder of the high season.

The primary carer of a sick relative might get a short holiday away, but have to return to help with the palliative care.

I hope those reasons might extend the conception of the 'compelling reason to return'.

Like David48 says 'compelling reason to return' ... that can mean many things ... just not a waged or salaried job".

Family ties, owning property etc etc, it can all add up. It's not the be all and end all of the application, only a component.

The majority of cases discussed on TV in the Australian tourist visa category are Thai females wanting to visit or holiday

with their Aussie partner. At the end of the day, DIAC know that the chances that one of these ladies taking off or overstaying

will be quite low.

But if a Thai (man or woman) applies for a visa to holiday by themselves, then a lot more scrutiny is applied to that application and a

compelling reason to return home means a lot more. People travelling alone are more likely to overstay and work than someone

travelling with a partner.

I certainly have. Took me over a year back in 1987 to get the right to take my family to live,work and settle in Perth..the most remote city on this planet .

As for the desire to return home....pretty much summed up by a taxi drivers t shirt in a mining town in Qeensland.

Happiness is Mt Isa in your rear view mirror.

Although to be fair Isa is paradise compared to Marble Bar.

Ever been to Wilcannia?..jesus christ.

I agree with the op, it's slightly crazy how it all works, but a few(thousand) bad apples have left a sour taste and made it difficult for those doing the right thing. Or at least trying to do the right thing.

Trust me, the tourist visa is a piece of cake compared to partner or fiancee visas.

Keep in mind the Immigration folk are also trying to protect the visa applicants themselves from being exploited into the skin trade.

Not uncommon for women to head off to promises of big salary jobs in the west, only to find themselves sold into prostitution.

And I'm sure they're well coached in what to say when they go in for the visa interview...

Because they come from a High Risk country meaning many overstay their visa, they take a dim view, that on probability, she will overstay and "break the rules". They want to see her reasons for not staying in our wonderful country like many high riskers have done before.

Nothing wrong with saying you met each other, I don't understand why you have to say in a bar, in the street, at a karaoke bar, playing footy, on the beach, eating lunch with the homeless. Does it matter where you met? and why do you have to say that at all?

I posted about the same thing in another thread and they deleted it. It's like they refuse to let people give legit, effective advice here or what.

Maybe I'll put it this way to be more inconspicuous: you met wherever the hell it is the two of you say you met. Right?

As far as the reason to return, and proof that you will be coming back to take care of things..... condo, Thai stocks, family, hell maybe even her dog. "Prove" to them you are coming back. It is like dealing with the mafia, don't expect it to be fair or logical, but definitely smile and tell them what they want to hear.

Edited by isawasnake

Hopefully she will not pick up on your attitude when she goes for her interview. Whether or not you agree with the criteria you would be best off to not infect her with your righteous indignation at the rules

There is another thread here about a Thai wife flippantly telling the interviewer at the US Embassy "up to you " and now the husband is wondering why she was given a 10 year ban

Oh such wise advice. I'm not self righteous, I'm pragmatic. How many folk have helped obtain a visa for their thai gf whom they met in a bar. Did he mention it in his invitation letter. Did she mention it in her " work history"

There is a saying.....bad rules are meant to be broken.

Yes I have followed the OP whose wife was refused a us visa. Very sad and stupid decision. I suggested she could of been less forthcoming with her employment history. My post was removed. What's with the egg shells.

I posted about the same thing in another thread and they deleted it. It's like they refuse to let people give legit, effective advice here or what.

Maybe I'll put it this way to be more inconspicuous: you met wherever the hell it is the two of you say you met. Right?

As far as the reason to return, and proof that you will be coming back to take care of things..... condo, Thai stocks, family, hell maybe even her dog. "Prove" to them you are coming back. It is like dealing with the mafia, don't expect it to be fair or logical, but definitely smile and tell them what they want to hear.

Thanks for the advice. Funny thing is the gf has a daughter 16 and grandson 1. She is 31.( yes only in Thailand) Anyway point is I was advised by experienced members that this would carry little weight.

It seems a 300 baht a day job is far more significant.

I just shake my head.

Thanks for the advice. Funny thing is the gf has a daughter 16 and grandson 1. She is 31.( yes only in Thailand) Anyway point is I was advised by experienced members that this would carry little weight.

It seems a 300 baht a day job is far more significant.

I just shake my head.

Perhaps you're listening to ill informed people.

No where does DIAC say that a job is more than significant than family ties.

Again, compelling reasons is more than just a job.

At the end of the day, if you're paying for your partner for a holiday to Oz, it

isn't that hard to get a tourist visa for her.

The refusal rates are quite low.

Will, that was most like me Jack refers to ... we have Pm'ed about this.

We all wish him well with his endeavours.

Jack ... the best of luck.

Please come back in 10 days and tell us the good news ... thumbsup.gif

Edited by David48

David48,

I think it's too easy to get caught up with the "compelling reasons to return" thing.

Like I said in post 13, it's entirely different if a Thai is applying to go to Oz by themselves.

If a Thai is being sponsored by her Aussie partner, the likelihood of them taking off into

the sunset are remote at best.

OP has said (in other posts) that he has been with his GF for a fair while and they live

together, plus she has a decent office job.

If OP's GF has submitted a decent application and included these details, the chances

of an approval are pretty high, regardless of the age difference, IMO.

From experience and I've used this method successfully 3 times.

Letters from employer, grandma, grandpa - all saying she who she is, what she is doing going to oz, and why she has to return. The letter stated how long she'd be in oz. In every case the letter stated they all wished her well on her travels/holiday. The employer (bar) said she had to return to work and they gave her permission to have time off. No lies, DIAC aren't stupid.

Edited by Gopro
  • Like 1

David48,

I think it's too easy to get caught up with the "compelling reasons to return" thing.

Like I said in post 13, it's entirely different if a Thai is applying to go to Oz by themselves.

If a Thai is being sponsored by her Aussie partner, the likelihood of them taking off into

the sunset are remote at best.

OP has said (in other posts) that he has been with his GF for a fair while and they live

together, plus she has a decent office job.

If OP's GF has submitted a decent application and included these details, the chances

of an approval are pretty high, regardless of the age difference, IMO.

A wise man as always KhunWill.

For our most recent Tourist Visa App I put this at the end of my letter:

"My GF is certain to return to Thailand when her visa expires. 3 months spent with Bookman & Chimpy will have her longing to see her family and Thailand once more"

• Like 2

Update. Thanks to anyone who gave me some advice. Especially David48, who really went out of his way. Have assembled the application to lodge today. As you all know, by the time you add to the application all the supporting docs, its a very bulky item.

You start to wonder if you have made any small slip. For example, we live together. I have used different visas and of course the stamp befor it became thing of the past. ( going down the retirement path). Point is she has to tick a box about married/single status. Ticked single, never married or defacto. Now I'm wondering if this is correct. Will find out.

I understand immigrations reason not to provide a reason if an application is rejected. I can only imagine the can of worms it would open. However would be lovely to be told if it was rejected due to some dotting i and crossing t.

Guess thats why some folk use an agent. Will post the result when it arrives and happy to pass on any tips I have gathered from members and net sites.

There an area just outside of Perth with quite a few of Thai brothels, bet they all had a reason to return but did not, hence the rigorous testing.

They'll all be on Student Visas.

Easy to get and can last a few years

On Student Visas ...

Maybe they are 'learning' the trade ... w00t.gif

• Like 1

There an area just outside of Perth with quite a few of Thai brothels, bet they all had a reason to return but did not, hence the rigorous testing.

Student visa's are relatively expensive though.

I would put money on the working ladies being permanent residents.

In the scheme of things, there aren't that many Thai sex workers on

tourist and students visa's to be honest.

The majority of woman from Asia working in the industry are from the

PRC on student visa's which have work rights and South Koreans who

can easily get working holiday visa's online.

Just my take on it.

Student visa's are relatively expensive though.

I would put money on the working ladies being permanent residents.

In the scheme of things, there aren't that many Thai sex workers on

tourist and students visa's to be honest.

The majority of woman from Asia working in the industry are from the

PRC on student visa's which have work rights and South Koreans who

can easily get working holiday visa's online.

Just my take on it.

The student visa is relatively expensive, I agree. I estimated about $4500 for the first 6 months (inc airfares, health insurance, Visa application fee, Education course fee) , then maybe $3400 each 6 months after that?

The advantage of course is you can legally work 22 hours a week, and you only have to attend the course one day a week. People turn up just to sign the attendance book and leave.