250 Thais deceived into overseas work

webfact

250 Thais deceived into overseas work

BANGKOK, 7 August 2014 (NNT)- The Director General of the Department of Employment has revealed that more than 250 workers were induced to work overseas in July, as a result of false promises.

According to the survey, a total of 13,411 Thai citizens had applied to work overseas. A workforce of 5,585 had gone to Europe, 5,413 workers had gone to the Middle East while groups of 1,968 , 238 and 173 Thais have sought their fortunes in North America, Africa and Australia respectively, said the Department of Employment Director-General Sumet Mahosod.

During the month most Thai citizens were rejected from South Korea since they were likely to be involved in human trafficking and prostitution.

Most Thai workers are lured by lucrative incomes and alleged good fortune.

Thai workers are however, warned of propaganda offering work in the foreign labor market by undocumented recruitment agencies.

[nnt]2014-08-07[/nnt]

you would think the local leaders would be aware of these scams, and would prevent this from happening

a few lynchings would do it, as word spreads to the scammers bosses that, rather than find more victims, they can [pick up their smooth talking human trafficker off the tree outside the village

You should expose them and go out with a bang...Thais deceiving Thais...why would a westerner recruit a thai? They have no skills....

Unlike Mexicans...yes being recruited by Mexicans but the vineyard and farm owners are behind labor recruitment....

CB

I have had more than a few Thais work for me in the oil patch in the Middle east. All of them were good at their jobs. Welders, Toolk makers and general hands. I'd take them over Indians any day of the week.

So, you're wrong in your assumption

Agree. I took a Thai to another country to operate a concrete batching plant. I couldn't ask for a better employee.  

250 deceived is only 1.86% of the total that went over.  That is not a big news story in my book.... must be a slow news day.

coffee1.gif

Considering the going rate for the scam is minimum two hundred thousand Baht, that would be 1.6 million USD scammed out of the 250 people. It's not the biggest news story of the day but in my book it deserves reporting. 

You should expose them and go out with a bang...Thais deceiving Thais...why would a westerner recruit a thai? They have no skills....

Unlike Mexicans...yes being recruited by Mexicans but the vineyard and farm owners are behind labor recruitment....

CB

I have had more than a few Thais work for me in the oil patch in the Middle east. All of them were good at their jobs. Welders, Toolk makers and general hands. I'd take them over Indians any day of the week.

Agree. I took a Thai to another country to operate a concrete batching plant. I couldn't ask for a better employee.  

The Thais i worked with were on 56 on 28 off and i think they were on roughly 50,000 baht a month

you would think the local leaders would be aware of these scams, and would prevent this from happening

a few lynchings would do it, as word spreads to the scammers bosses that, rather than find more victims, they can [pick up their smooth talking human trafficker off the tree outside the village

You are right but if the local leaders are given an ' incentive ' to allow and promote these meetings they couldn't care less about those they are supposed to represent.

• Like 1

Will be on commission.
  • Like 1

Woman in my moo ban had parents involved in these scams who got out of town just before the Thai authorities came knocking.  They went to the US, where they continued to operate, till the US authorities finally busted them, convicted, fined and jailed them.  A few year later the women applied for passport for her and two daughters to go to the US to visit husband, who was working legally, but a week or so before they were to leave, her visa was cancelled.  Seems she used her maiden name, not married name, and when they ran it, up popped her parents.  She was called to the Consulate here in Chiang Mai and questioned as to if she was related.  When she admitted they were her parents, her visa was cancelled on the spot.  Since then the husband divorced her, married another Thai woman with American citizenship, and had both daughters brought over to live with him. It's a shame, because the woman really is a nice person, with no criminal involvement, not to mention a very attractive 39 yr old woman. Parents in US prison, husband dumped her for another woman, and then took the kids. 

EDIT for typo

Edited by Just1Voice

CB

Maybe but why aren't there more of these agencies recruiting unemployed Europeans say (of course I am referring to recruiters based in Europe)? Thais have excellent job prospects at home with only 1% unemployment (though I suspect that's because the underground economy consisting of street food vendors, prostitutes etc. are counted as officially "employed" persons), whereas parts of Europe still have very high unemployment reaching up to 25%, especially for younger people. If I was an unemployed Greek or Spaniard, I too might be interested in a concrete batching job in Saudi Arabia and would be bitterly resentful of such a job going to a Thai, Indian or Bengali, just because they are cheaper to hire. Or maybe that's why? If it's all about employers paying lower wages, then people from low wage developing countries are easy prey.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

CB

plenty of Thais working the oil patch world wide, welders, electrican's etc etc and they are making good money

I know a couple of Thai lads who work the international game, new car every two years, 6-7 million house with all the toys ( all paid for BTW)

But I will defer to your knowlege of all things Thai and your oneness with your Thainess, yes they have no skills..rolleyes.gif

Get out of Isaan mate, it might open your eyes...wink.png

• Like 2

I met a nice girl in Pi Pi that I used to message. She mentioned she was off to Korea to work and has simply disappeared and doesn't return any messages now. Normally she is pretty quick. I hope she is OK. Nothing sexual just friends so would be happy if she had hooked up with a rich Farang.

250 deceived is only 1.86% of the total that went over.  That is not a big news story in my book.... must be a slow news day.

coffee1.gif

Thailand has a very long way to go before it gets close to the Philippines in trafficking their workers overseas.

CB

Maybe but why aren't there more of these agencies recruiting unemployed Europeans say (of course I am referring to recruiters based in Europe)? Thais have excellent job prospects at home with only 1% unemployment (though I suspect that's because the underground economy consisting of street food vendors, prostitutes etc. are counted as officially "employed" persons), whereas parts of Europe still have very high unemployment reaching up to 25%, especially for younger people. If I was an unemployed Greek or Spaniard, I too might be interested in a concrete batching job in Saudi Arabia and would be bitterly resentful of such a job going to a Thai, Indian or Bengali, just because they are cheaper to hire. Or maybe that's why? If it's all about employers paying lower wages, then people from low wage developing countries are easy prey.

Cheaper to hire, lower wages and easy prey were not a consideration to me. There was no agency involved. This man was a friend of mine and for one year had been operating the same Thai batching plant I sent to Afghanistan. I expect his wages were comparable to someone recruted from Europe. If an employer accepts a recruit based on the reasons you gave, they will probably only do it once.