thai citizen on 3 month schengen visa to france, can she enter uk

I think it's a bit more than that, TVE.

As far as I understand it, UK visa applicants must apply in their country of residence unless they have a compelling, urgent reason for applying elsewhere while there as a visitor.

I think it's a bit more than that, TVE.

As far as I understand it, UK visa applicants must apply in their country of residence unless they have a compelling, urgent reason for applying elsewhere while there as a visitor.

Not so, 7x7. You can apply for a UK visit visa from any country. You must apply for a settlement visa in your own country or in your country of residence. That said, some countries will, as I indicated, try to persuade you to go back to your own country to apply. The UKBA guidance used to tell you that you can apply anywhere, but it seems to be missing now. Possibly because they don't want you to know that you can do this ? I know several Philippines citizens who have applied for, and obtained, UK visit visas while in Thailand.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

While in Thailand as tourists, or while residing in Thailand?

You can apply for a UK visit visa from anywhere in the world, whether you are there as a tourist or as a resident.

Edit : I have finally found the UKVI guidance ( they seem to have hidden it away !). It says:

Applications for visit visas and EEA Family Permits

These can be made at any post designated by the Secretary of State to accept applications for entry clearance. The applicant will need to be in the third country or territory in accordance with that country or territory’s immigration laws.

Applications for all other types of entry clearance, including PBS* and settlement (*see tier 5 exception below) should be made in the applicant’s country of residence. ‘Country of residence’ is not necessarily their country of origin and refers to wherever the applicant has permission to reside, for example, for work or study purposes. Many countries will issue overseas nationals with residency cards in these cases. An applicant who has permission to stay in a country as a visitor for 6 months, for example, is not a resident.

Paragraph 28 of the Immigration Rules states that: ‘An applicant for an entry clearance must be outside the United Kingdom and Islands at the time of the application. An applicant for an entry clearance who is seeking entry as a visitor must apply to a post designated by the Secretary of State to accept applications for entry clearance for that purpose and from that category of applicant. Any other application must be made to the post in the country or territory where the applicant is living which has been designated by the Secretary of State to accept applications for entry clearance for that purpose and from that category of applicant. Where there is no such post the applicant must apply to the appropriate designated post outside the country or territory where he / she is living’.

Tony M

Edited by ThaiVisaExpress
  • Like 2

@Tony: Cheers!

@OP:

can thai citizen enter uk on this visa ? she is currently in france . visa is up on 23 september.

She would need a UK visa. What requirements apply would depend on several factors. See Tony's (ThaiVisaExpress) posts and remember that special rules apply to family members of EU/EEA citizens who travel with non-EU family members to any other EU/EEA country. If this Thai woman would be family of say a French person, then she should get a free visa with minimum hassle etc. and she most certainly could apply at the embassy in France or anywhere else on this planet, or obtain entry clearance at the border (if she and EU family member can make it to the border but from FR to UK this should be no problem since the British passport/customs control is on the French side).

I have finally found the UKVI guidance ( they seem to have hidden it away !). It says:

Thanks for that, Tony.

I admit that when the guidance disappeared from the easily accessible parts of the UKVI website, I assumed it was because of a change in the rules.

Mea culpa for assuming and not, as you have done, digging deeper.

Any chance of a link to that guidance? It may be useful to add it to the pinned UK visit visa guidance here.

This?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/where-to-apply-ecb05/ecb5-where-to-apply-the-policy

Guidance

ECB5: Where to apply, the policy

Published 26 November 2013

Contents

Applications for visit visas and EEA Family Permits

PBS Tier 5 'creative and sporting' applications

(...guidance here, text as supplied by Tony..)

Edited by Donutz
  • Like 1