Thai Immigration issues new police order 327/2557 effective August 29, 2014

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About 2.18

Do they mean can only get extention on your marriage visa if your 50 or older ????

Or what

Strange rule if so

If the non-Thai parent needs to be looked after/ cared for by the children, he/she must be over 50.

Edited by Suradit69

I am really curious about this...

I have a former friend up here in Isan who blatantly disregarded immigration laws and overstayed about 600 plus days. he left to go to the UK in January with plans to come back in September...he already paid his overstay fine. So what I am wondering , do you think he will sort of "grandfathered in" without any sort of repercussions because he already "took care" of his problem before the rules were implemented? I think he will be allowed back (disappointingly, as he is dangerous, shows everyone his GLock gun, and is very volatile) because he paid and was let out, but my wife seems to think that just because he paid and was let out, that has no bearing on whether or not he will actually be allowed back......He has this idea in his mind, that he can do just about whatever he wants because his wife's uncle is governor of Nongbua province, but a governor of Nongbua Province, doth not a top brass official in Bangkok make!

Anyone have any opinions or thoughts on this?

Mods - may I suggest you start again - and split the different clauses into different topics. This thread is going to be too confusing, dealing with so many subjects.

There are not that many that need discussing. The only ones changed are the ones I commented on in the OP.

• Like 1

So you can stay in Thailand for two years learning thai, but now you HAVE to leave the country, waste 3 days and 15000thb to renew your visa when you could do an extension in 30 minutes at the local immigration office. Another stupid rule imposed for no apparent reason. What's the next step, every 3 months student will have to apply for a new visa outside the country? Do the immigration have deals with airlines companies and consulate or something?

"Another stupid rule imposed for no apparent reason."

So if the rule doesn't seem reasonable to you or if you don't understand it, it must be stupid. Being a student of Thai, presumably you read the official Thai version?

There's one very simple way to not feel imposed upon.

I have a former friend up here in Isan who blatantly disregarded immigration laws and overstayed about 600 plus days. he left to go to the UK in January with plans to come back in September...he already paid his overstay fine. So what I am wondering , do you think he will sort of "grandfathered in" without any sort of repercussions because he already "took care" of his problem before the rules were implemented? I think he will be allowed back (disappointingly, as he is dangerous, shows everyone his GLock gun, and is very volatile) because he paid and was let out, but my wife seems to think that just because he paid and was let out, that has no bearing on whether or not he will actually be allowed back......He has this idea in his mind, that he can do just about whatever he wants because his wife's uncle is governor of Nongbua province, but a governor of Nongbua Province, doth not a top brass official in Bangkok make!

A bit off topic. But an easy answer. He can enter the country without a problem. The new overstay rules are not retroactive.

• Like 1

I'm 47 , I have custody of my kids in Thailand , do i need to wrorry

If you're on extensions of stay based on having Thai children, no changes for you this time, except when you get to be over 50 and your kids are able & willing to support you, you can apply for an extension based on that. That's seemingly new.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1

"do you think he will sort of "grandfathered in""

Nothing to do with being grandfathered. This has been discussed ad nauseum in threads dealing the overstays ... not the topic of this thread incidentally. If he cleared the overstay by paying the fine and exiting, and if he is otherwise qualified for a visa and/or extension, then there's no reason it would be denied him.

It seems you are implying that a government official who you have identified would attempt to do something illegal. Could be interpreted as defamation.

Why cant I open 138/2557?

I get:

Sorry, you don't have permission for that!

Which one? I was just able to do both of them.

The Thai version is about 7M perhaps that is the problem.

I'm getting the same...I can/have downloaded the Thai version but can't get the translation

[#10171]

You do not have permission to view this attachment.

So from the OP summary, it seems no meaningful changes relating to retirement extensions, correct?

No changes, meaningful or otherwise.

I'm holding my breath that that remains the case, and that there's not going to be another Police Order issued to change anything related to retirement extensions. I'm letting mine lapse the beginning of September. I've been outside Thailand since mid-March, and will be returning to Thailand the end of September or early October to start the process anew. I'd hate to miss being grandfathered in on current rules if they change things...

"do you think he will sort of "grandfathered in""

Nothing to do with being grandfathered. This has been discussed ad nauseum in threads dealing the overstays ... not the topic of this thread incidentally. If he cleared the overstay by paying the fine and exiting, and if he is otherwise qualified for a visa and/or extension, then there's no reason it would be denied him.

It seems you are implying that a government official who you have identified would attempt to do something illegal. Could be interpreted as defamation.

I'm not implying that at all, I am saying HE thinks the rules don't belong to him because he "knows people" in Immigration and the government

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I'm 47 , I have custody of my kids in Thailand , do i need to wrorry

If you're on extensions of stay based on having Thai children, no changes for you this time, except when you get to be over 50 and your kids are able & willing to support you, you can apply for an extension based on that. That's seemingly new.

Thanks mate, I will be full Time in Thailand from about December . I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and get married , Ive been with her for 9 years

Why cant I open 138/2557?

I get:

Which one? I was just able to do both of them.

The Thai version is about 7M perhaps that is the problem.

The English one. The Thai one wouldnt be any use to me. I could probably manage one in 'Tinglish'smile.png !

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It's a typo. Should read "father or mother."

Request to be under maintenance simply means that your adult offspring is your carer/provider.

It's a clarification, removing singular interpretation of applying for an extension "as a parent".

I've been posting about this issue, on and off, for years. As it was before this welcome clarification, immigration, and TV members believed that you could only extend your stay when you were the maintainer of your kids. That is, you provide for them under the B40,000 income per month rule.

I always asked what happens when you get too old to maintain your kids. Millions of Thai take care of their aged parents. So why should the same consideration not be given to luuk-kreung, possessing Thai Nationality, with an alien parent?

Thank you, Immigration. In my view, and in future, my case, a job well done.

It is not a clarification. It is something new entirely. Under certain conditions a father or mother can apply to be supported by their children.

If the parent is able to support themselves they would apply by showing the financial proof. The extension is not to support the children it is because you are the parent of a Thai.

UbonJoe:

I never said it was to support the children.

That is the point I have been struggling with, on this forum and with Immigration. As the parent of a Thai, becoming old, decrepit, possibly widowed and increasingly dependent on my 30 year old child, who is Thai, the 'new' rule does bring clarity. Although not in the position of needing to go this route, yet, I now foresee I can, in the future, as the parent of a Thai, dependent on that Thai, apply for a case by case consideration for an extension-

as a dependent parent, not as the parent of a dependent child.

Sorry to differ, but IMO this is the partial removal of ambiguity of a rule which, although stating the word parent in the existing extension criteria, brought blank stares or "m'ai d'ai" whenever it was raised.

wow it just looks to me as if they are getting serious about things,, not the way we are used to, i'm sitting on the fence now,, which way was better the old way or the new way, LOS has always been known for it's money talks, easy way of doing things does it mean now we have to do things the way most western countries do things your dirty money is no good here any more probably why another post reads,,, Russian tourists down 30% in Pattaya, it will take time to rid corruption in LOS but how will the new country function i wonder,,, maybe clearing all the dead wood might be good for the country after all,, by the way Cambodia is right next door, let's go.

Wow..., only 4 pages of posts in less than 5 hours. Away from my desk today and just got back to see the headline..., I was counting on 7-10 pages of posts. Means it's being read carefully and that's a good thing.

With luck all realize this isn't a "read once, comprehend, and take it as the last word". I found at least two sections that will need better clarification by Immigration. Guessing there will be an amended version within 7-10 days.

But the reality is any foreigner visiting or living in LoS needs may well be affected.

Good luck to all.

About 2.18

Do they mean can only get extention on your marriage visa if your 50 or older ????

Or what

Strange rule if so

No, it is an additional clause for foreign parents being supported by their children.

And now if you have no degree u have better chance of getting work permit.

These are Immigration's orders. Work permits are from Labor Department. They may or may not streamline their rules to match those of Immigration. Separate issue.

Am I reading this correctly. 2.7 states that to work as a teacher in a private school you need a degree or equivalent experience. Section 2.6 states no degree requirement to work as a teacher in a government school. Is this true?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by mooris6

There is little doubt that as a result of the irrational and highly convoluted nature of the Thai Immigration laws that there will be chaos at the check in desks on entry for some considerable time as the officers in question wrestle with their own personal interpretation of these idiosyncratic edicts. Why make things simple when with just a little bit of effort you can confuse everybody.

• Like 2