Thai Immigration issues new police order 327/2557 effective August 29, 2014

The 90 days was taken out because of the addition of exempt entries for those on bilateral agreements that get a 90 day entry that can get a 30 day extension also.

Great for them but I'm afraid that having removed the explicit limitation, the use of the word 'each', and the absence of words to the effect of "only once", may lead to think that unlimited extensions for tourism are possible.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 90 days was taken out because of the addition of exempt entries for those on bilateral agreements that get a 90 day entry that can get a 30 day extension also.

Great for them but I'm afraid that having removed the explicit limitation, the use of the word 'each', and the absence of words to the effect of "only once", may lead to think that unlimited extensions for tourism are possible.

This makes it one extension.

" Each permission shall be granted for no more than 30 days from the date on which the permitted period has lapsed. "

That is the permit to stay date that was given on entry. If you get a 30 day entry the most you get is 60 days total for example.

• Like 1

" Each permission shall be granted for no more than 30 days from the date on which the permitted period has lapsed. "

That is the permit to stay date that was given on entry. If you get a 30 day entry the most you get is 60 days total for example.

Glad to see that people actualy read what is posted

New order 2.22 nothing has changed.

(6) An alien who entered the Kingdom before October 21, 1998 and has been consecutively permitted to stay in the Kingdom for retirement shall be subject to the following criteria:

a: Must be 60 years of age or over and have an annual fixed income with fluids (funds)maintained in a bank account for the past three months of no less than Baht 200,000 or have a monthly income of no less than Baht 20,000

b: If less than 60 years of age but not less than 55 years of age, must have an annual fixed income with funds maintained in a bank account for the past three months of no less than Baht 500,000 or have a monthly income of no less than Baht 50,000

The b: could easily be removed.

I failed to see how someone who was on retirement visa in 1998 could be less than 60 yo today... wink.png

• Like 2

So you can stay in Thailand for two years learning thai, but now you HAVE to leave the country, waste 3 days and 15000thb to renew your visa when you could do an extension in 30 minutes at the local immigration office. Another stupid rule imposed for no apparent reason. What's the next step, every 3 months student will have to apply for a new visa outside the country? Do the immigration have deals with airlines companies and consulate or something?

"Another stupid rule imposed for no apparent reason."

So if the rule doesn't seem reasonable to you or if you don't understand it, it must be stupid. Being a student of Thai, presumably you read the official Thai version?

There's one very simple way to not feel imposed upon.

So i am guessing you don't find this rule stupid? So please try to give a reason why students should have to exit the country. The only thing that comes to mind is to piss off the students and make them waste time and money.

And of course, something that doesn"t seem reasonable (poor choice of word, i would use retarded) IS stupid, until proven otherwise.

However once the entry has been extended it has a new permitted to stay date and it could be taken to allow another one from that date,

• Like 1

So have I got this right.

Ed visa just for 12 months but have to go immigration every 3 months.

And now if you have no degree u have better chance of getting work permit.

where does it say about 'no degree' ?

• Like 1

wow it just looks to me as if they are getting serious about things,, not the way we are used to, i'm sitting on the fence now,, which way was better the old way or the new way, LOS has always been known for it's money talks, easy way of doing things does it mean now we have to do things the way most western countries do things your dirty money is no good here any more probably why another post reads,,, Russian tourists down 30% in Pattaya, it will take time to rid corruption in LOS but how will the new country function i wonder,,, maybe clearing all the dead wood might be good for the country after all,, by the way Cambodia is right next door, let's go.

" Clearing out the dead wood "maybe a good idea to start doing the same thing in Western countries as well and clear our " Dead wood " ..way to go Thailand !

I'm beginning to like the military rule LoL

Edited by sauvagecheri
  • Like 1

wow it just looks to me as if they are getting serious about things,, not the way we are used to, i'm sitting on the fence now,, which way was better the old way or the new way, LOS has always been known for it's money talks, easy way of doing things does it mean now we have to do things the way most western countries do things your dirty money is no good here any more probably why another post reads,,, Russian tourists down 30% in Pattaya, it will take time to rid corruption in LOS but how will the new country function i wonder,,, maybe clearing all the dead wood might be good for the country after all,, by the way Cambodia is right next door, let's go.

" Clearing out the dead wood "maybe a good idea to start doing the same thing in Western countries as well and clear our " Dead wood " ..way to go Thailand !

I'm beginning to like the military rule LoL

Just hope YOU don't become "dead wood " which unless your Thai actually you are!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

However once the entry has been extended it has a new permitted to stay date and it could be taken to allow another one from that date,

Perhaps the untranslated version is worded to mean, explicitly or by context, the originally permitted period has lapsed.

Perhaps the untranslated version is worded to mean, explicitly or by context, the originally permitted period has lapsed.

In which case the translated version should reflect this.

wow it just looks to me as if they are getting serious about things,, not the way we are used to, i'm sitting on the fence now,, which way was better the old way or the new way, LOS has always been known for it's money talks, easy way of doing things does it mean now we have to do things the way most western countries do things your dirty money is no good here any more

I would avoid sitting on fence for too long as it may be the case here

Regarding "money talks" check out Thai Elite card for a paid way to stay without doing anything.

"the more things change,the more they stay the same," ...

Edited by paz

There is no way that anybody could logically interpret it that way. It is about the date you make the application for the extension. It means your original permit to stay date.

About 2.18

Do they mean can only get extention on your marriage visa if your 50 or older ????

Or what

Strange rule if so

You will see this is part of (5) for getting extensions for being a parent of Thai.

"In case the father or mother requests to be under maintenance of children, the age of father or mother must be 50 years of age or over."

It has nothing to do with (6) for extension based upon marriage.

Well that isn't good news.

I must admit I was never a fan of this rule.

If your 63 years old and get an 18 years old hooker pregnant its "welcome to our country". But at 29 years old, wife 31 and two kids they make it difficult.

Unless I am reading this wrong, are they saying that now I cant get another 60 day extension based on my children?

This is how I also understand it. sad.png

There is no way that anybody could logically interpret it that way. It is about the date you make the application for the extension. It means your original permit to stay date.

Sorry, but it may be a difference in regional english between different countries but it can definitely be read that way.

I go to get an extension of stay. It is granted for 30 days it is one of the extensions of stay. The first of the each and it extens my permission of stay from the end of March to the the end of April. The new permission to stay is now say 29 april.

On 20 April I apply for another extension....the second of the "each" , they grant it for 30days from the expiration of my permitted to stay date so the new date is 28 May.

The operative word here is "each" which if used must refer to at least the possibility of two or more.

All of the extension conditions have each in them. It appears to me this is only saying that the extension starts from the date the old permission expires and gives a new permission to stay date and does not start from the day of application,.

This is not nit picking...it is indicating an area which needs clarification.

each
ēCH/
determiner & pronoun
  1. 1.
    used to refer to every one of two or more people or things, regarded and identified separately.
    "each battery is in a separate compartment"
    synonyms:

every one, each

Edited by harrry

Isn't "permitted to stay" and "extension of stay " two different things. You get a permitted to stay on entry then when in country you get an extension to stay.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by casualbiker

I must admit I was never a fan of this rule.

If your 63 years old and get an 18 years old hooker pregnant its "welcome to our country". But at 29 years old, wife 31 and two kids they make it difficult.

Unless I am reading this wrong, are they saying that now I cant get another 60 day extension based on my children?

This is how I also understand it. sad.png

Discussed before already. Read and understand the key sentence:

requests to be under maintenance of children

Why cant I open 138/2557?

I get:

Sorry, you don't have permission for that!

Which one? I was just able to do both of them.

The Thai version is about 7M perhaps that is the problem.

I'm getting the same...I can/have downloaded the Thai version but can't get the translation

[#10171]

You do not have permission to view this attachment.

I have been getting this message on other threads as well. I have not yet tried to download(ed) the attachments for this thread after they were reloaded by admin staff

Edited by radiochaser

So have I got this right.

Ed visa just for 12 months but have to go immigration every 3 months.

And now if you have no degree u have better chance of getting work permit.

where does it say about 'no degree' ?

Clause 2.7 about half way down the OP.

"(4) In case of educational personnel, the alien must have degree or experience that meet the work requirement and the ratio of alien employees shall not exceed 10 percent of total teachers or instructors in a particular education institution."

It's a bit of a stretch to interpret this as "..if you have no degree u have better chance of getting work permit." but I think what Jiimmy means is "...if you have no degree, you have a better chance of getting a work permit THAN BEFORE when only those with a degree could apply."

In the grand scheme of things, having a degree will leverage getting a better paid position with an institution that can probably satisfy both the Thai Immigration and Labour departments criteria more easily.

Not having a degree means you are swimming in bigger but shallower pool.

I get:

Seems to be the Thai versions of 327/255 and 138/2557 that have a download problem. I wonder if it is because of their large size. Going to experiment with it.

-------------------

Test: pages 1-5 only

Immigration Bureau order 138-2557 (2014) - extension documents th V2 p1-5.pdf

download successful

-------------------

Test: all pages:

Immigration Bureau order 138-2557 (2014) - extension documents th V2.pdf

download successful

-------------------

Perhaps I was not logged in when I tested it earlier. This time I logged in with my test account, as a regular member. I'm not sure but it could also be that during very busy times, the server prevents big downloads.

I get:

Seems to be the Thai versions of 327/255 and 138/2557 that have a download problem.

Thanks for your trouble but earlier it was in fact the English version which the moderator Ubonjoe has kindly corrected and is now available.

I get:

Seems to be the Thai versions of 327/255 and 138/2557 that have a download problem.

Thanks for your trouble but earlier it was in fact the English version which the moderator Ubonjoe has kindly corrected and is now available.

I'm glad that it works now.

2.22 In the case of retirement:

Each permission shall be granted

for no more than one year.

1. Application form

2. Copy of applicant’s passport

3. Evidence of income such as a retirement pension, interest or dividends; and/or

4. Funds deposit certificate issued by a bank in Thailand and a copy of a bankbook

5. Only in the case of Criterion (6), the applicant must submit documents equivalent to Clauses 1-4

stated above

First thank you for all the work to translate. I just read this about the retirement visa and to me it looks like for those that have to

show evidence of income they used to get a letter from USA Embassy without showing proof of income, however now it looks like proof is required or am I missing some clause from somewhere else?

I am not talking about proof from the bank 800,000 baht.

I am talking about the minimum monthly income that I think was 65,000 baht. Now it seems proof of retirement pension , interest or dividends. I don't understand about this Only in the case of Criterion 6, what is that?

thanks again for all the feedback.and explanations.

Criteria (6) is the so-called grandfather clause for those who have been on retirement extension since prior to 1998.

The wording on the 65 baht per month income is the same as the prior Police Order 777/2551.

Edited by JLCrab

what means exactly " 5) Must have an annual earning and fluids deposited with a bank totaling no less than
Baht 800,0000 as of the filing date." ?

does it mean we must have 800000 bahts in the thai count or it's still as before, the combinaison " pension and money in thai bank = 800000 bahts ?

2.22 In the case of retirement:
Each permission shall be granted
for no more than one year.
1. Application form
2. Copy of applicant’s passport
3. Evidence of income such as a retirement pension, interest or dividends; and/or
4. Funds deposit certificate issued by a bank in Thailand and a copy of a bankbook
5. Only in the case of Criterion (6), the applicant must submit documents equivalent to Clauses 1-4
stated above
First thank you for all the work to translate. I just read this about the retirement visa and to me it looks like for those that have to
show evidence of income they used to get a letter from USA Embassy without showing proof of income, however now it looks like proof is required or am I missing some clause from somewhere else?
I am not talking about proof from the bank 800,000 baht.
I am talking about the minimum monthly income that I think was 65,000 baht. Now it seems proof of retirement pension , interest or dividends. I don't understand about this Only in the case of Criterion 6, what is that?
thanks again for all the feedback.and explanations.

Nothing has changed, the letter from the embassy is the proof.

what means exactly " 5) Must have an annual earning and fluids deposited with a bank totaling no less than

Baht 800,0000 as of the filing date." ?

does it mean we must have 800000 bahts in the thai count or it's still as before, the combinaison " pension and money in thai bank = 800000 bahts ?

It is still as before, no changes have been made.

Hello, I have just become a father and I am married to my Thai wife for several years, but I never applied for a one year visa (with the stamp "Thai wife"), because I always went back to my country and so the NON O visa 90 days plus the 60 days extension was enough for me before,but now I want to do, what changes should I expect? and is much more difficult? which are the conditions that I will have to submit?

Thank you so much for the explanation, i'm not native English speaker and is difficult to fully understand, I see some 'panic' in the forum and I can not imagine my situation.

thank you