Thai Immigration issues new police order 327/2557 effective August 29, 2014

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

About 2.18

Do they mean can only get extention on your marriage visa if your 50 or older ????

Or what

Strange rule if so

You will see this is part of (5) for getting extensions for being a parent of Thai.

"In case the father or mother requests to be under maintenance of children, the age of father or mother must be 50 years of age or over."

It has nothing to do with (6) for extension based upon marriage.

Father of mother? And requests to be under maintenance? Can anyone correct the English so this makes sense?

It's a typo. Should read "father or mother."

Request to be under maintenance simply means that your adult offspring is your carer/provider.

It's a clarification, removing singular interpretation of applying for an extension "as a parent".

I've been posting about this issue, on and off, for years. As it was before this welcome clarification, immigration, and TV members believed that you could only extend your stay when you were the maintainer of your kids. That is, you provide for them under the B40,000 income per month rule.

I always asked what happens when you get too old to maintain your kids. Millions of Thai take care of their aged parents. So why should the same consideration not be given to luuk-kreung, possessing Thai Nationality, with an alien parent?

Thank you, Immigration. In my view, and in future, my case, a job well done.

It is not a clarification. It is something new entirely. Under certain conditions a father or mother can apply to be supported by their children.

If the parent is able to support themselves they would apply by showing the financial proof. The extension is not to support the children it is because you are the parent of a Thai.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phew. As I saw 2.18 in there, blood pressure shot up. Dodged the bullet, this time ..

Clause 2.20 may be a bit tricky if your wife dies before you and the child you are supporting passes the age of 20.

Clause 2.20 is for dependents of those that already have extensions. One of them passing on or going over the age of 20 would not change anything for the person that has the extension already.

That part of 2.20 has not been changed.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

About 2.18

Do they mean can only get extention on your marriage visa if your 50 or older ????

Or what

Strange rule if so

You will see this is part of (5) for getting extensions for being a parent of Thai.

"In case the father of mother requests to be under maintenance of children, the age of father or mother must be 50 years of age or over."

Father of mother? And requests to be under maintenance? Can anyone correct the English so this makes sense?

Request to be under maintenance simply means that your adult offspring is your carer/provider.

It's a clarification, removing singular interpretation of applying for an extension "as a parent".

I've been posting about this issue, on and off, for years. As it was before this welcome clarification, immigration, and TV members believed that you could only extend your stay when you were the maintainer of your kids. That is, you provide for them under the B40,000 income per month rule.

I always asked what happens when you get too old to maintain your kids. Millions of Thai take care of their aged parents. So why should the same consideration not be given to luuk-kreung, possessing Thai Nationality, with an alien parent?

I wonder what the requirements would be? Would your child need to be of a certain age (e. 21), to be considered as your carer? Would they need to be gainfully employed? Would the foreign parent need to leave thee country every 90 days (or just extend stay once a year at immigration? That would be very beneficial for folks who do not qualify for a retirement pension, and perhaps are divorced or widowed, but have a child who can look after them.

To qualify for a 30 day extension, as a tourist:

The alien:

(1) Must have been granted a tourist visa (TOURIST) or exempted from applying for visa. Each permission shall be granted for no more than 30 days as announced by Ministry of Interior.

(2) Must not be of a nationality or type prescribed by the committee monitoring official proceedings of officers of the Immigration Bureau.

Does anyone else find this a little disconcerting? What is a type?

And still there is no mention of a maximum period allowed. This will lead to more people claiming that getting triple entry visas, with extensions entitle you to 270 days in country - add one visa exempt entry plus it's extension and hey presto! it adds up to 330 days.

The entire process is pointless unless you define the parameters...

Item (2) is only putting what they already do in the order..do. People from certain countries cannot get 30 day extensions for tourist visa entries already.

The total stay has nothing to do with extensions which is what the police orders are for. Do you have any idea how much additional time it would take for an immigration officer to dig back through a passport to total up how many days a person had already stayed in the country one entry to the country.

When applying for the extension would be the place to do the check. They make non immigrant holders jump through so many hoops, why not count days in country before giving extensions?

If that were the case, a triple entry would only be good for two entries, if two extensions had been given; assuming the person wants to spend all their time in Thailand. I think triple entry is the max?

Someone coming and going without extending a triple entry would still only be able to be in country for 180 days.

Forgive me if I seem argumentative, or pedantic about this but I truly believe the solution to all the confusion surrounding tourist visas could be solved by just declaring a maximum days in country.

• Like 2

Private schools can only have 10% foreigners. Am I reading that correctly?

Language schools? International Schools?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That is only for education personnel not teachers. From clause 2.7.

Educational Personnel is:

Person performing librarian, guidance, educational technology, registration and evaluation, general administration, supporter of education as specified by the Private Education Commission

(4) In case of educational personnel, the alien must have degree or experience that meet the work requirement and the ratio of alien employees shall not exceed 10 percent of total teachers or instructors in a particular education institution.

Ubon. Am I reading this correctly that now educational personnel like librarians are also required to have a teaching license?

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It is not a clarification. It is something new entirely. Under certain conditions a father or mother can apply to be supported by their children.

If the parent is able to support themselves they would apply by showing the financial proof. The extension is not to support the children it is because you are the parent of a Thai.

Just to be clear in my own mind...... Does this mean that my half Thai son could qualify to support me in my old age. I am assuming he would need to be 18 years old (or 21?) and earning a salary to do this? Is there a specific criteria laid down on his age or his earnings? Or could he just be farming on a daily cash in hand existence? I understand I need to be 50 yrs or older, but do I need any financials?.

I am assuming this would be an annual extension similar to existing extension. Supporting Thai wife? Thanks for any further clarity. I suspect this will become a welcome if not a hot topic.

Just to be clear in my own mind...... Does this mean that my half Thai son could qualify to support me in my old age. I am assuming he would need to be 18 years old (or 21?) and earning a salary to do this? Is there a specific criteria laid down on his age or his earnings? Or could he just be farming on a daily cash in hand existence? I understand I need to be 50 yrs or older, but do I need any financials?.

I am assuming this would be an annual extension similar to existing extension. Supporting Thai wife? Thanks for any further clarity. I suspect this will become a welcome if not a hot topic.

I am sure you would have to prove you could not meet the financial requirements for the normal extension.

Your child would have to be old enough to earn a enough money to support themselves and you.

They have not issued any requirements for this extension yet. I think it is going to be done on a case by case basis.

It was on my list of questions for immigration.

• Like 1

Mods - may I suggest you start again - and split the different clauses into different topics. This thread is going to be too confusing, dealing with so many subjects.

I got no trouble keeping the ed , marriage , dependence visas apart

If I understand it correctly, the most relevant change regarding teachers seems to be the "Degree or Experience" meaning those without a degree can now get a work permit

Where is that? It would be superseded by the requirements to have a teachers license.

I am sure you would have to prove you could not meet the financial requirements for the normal extension.

Your child would have to be old enough to earn a enough money to support themselves and you.

They have not issued any requirements for this extension yet. I think it is going to be done on a case by case basis.

It was on my list of questions for immigration.

Thanks, my immediate thought was this provision could free up the 400k (on deposit) for my (and my wife's) healthcare if ever needed in our twilight years.

About 2.18

Or what

Strange rule if so

"In case the father of mother requests to be under maintenance of children, the age of father or mother must be 50 years of age or over."

But presumably this would only apply in the case of blood children and not step-children, would it not?

Some good things particularly about children supporting parents.

However no change to 90 malarky?

90 malarkey? Not sure what this means.?

I'm guessing 90 day reporting. And or the leaving the country every 90 days.

• Like 1

If I understand it correctly, the most relevant change regarding teachers seems to be the "Degree or Experience" meaning those without a degree can now get a work permit

Where is that? It would be superseded by the requirements to have a teachers license.

That only applies to educational personnel not teachers.

"Educational Personnel is:
Person performing librarian, guidance, educational technology, registration and evaluation, general administration, supporter of education as specified by the Private Education Commission

Some good things particularly about children supporting parents.

However no change to 90 malarky?

90 malarkey? Not sure what this means.?
I'm guessing 90 day reporting. And or the leaving the country every 90 days.

Till they crack down on that one too , and only get visa when have the money in the bank

Still provide well for my family , but no big cheque from europe every month , at least not until 67 and a bit smaller one around 55

So where does the Thailand Elite Visa fit into this scenario, the normal Tourist visa in section 2.4 does not cover this and there is no separate section mentioning a 5 year visa renewed automatically every 12 months.

I would have expected this to be covered as this list of visa types is newer than the changes and release of the new TE visa

The Privilege Entry visa which is given to Thailand Elite members is governed by a separate Ministry of Interior order. Thai text here: http://www.matichon.co.th/news_detail.php?newsid=1363262247

• Like 1

That only applies to educational personnel not teachers.

"Educational Personnel is:

Ok. But how I'm reading it, education personnel ALSO now need a teaching license from khurusapha (TCT) according to 2.7.1 section 7. Am I wrong .. I hope so!

Private schools can only have 10% foreigners. Am I reading that correctly?

Language schools? International Schools?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

So a school with staff of less than 10 individuals could never employ an alien. This then disadvantages the thousands of small provincial schools.

• Like 1

So where does the Thailand Elite Visa fit into this scenario, the normal Tourist visa in section 2.4 does not cover this and there is no separate section mentioning a 5 year visa renewed automatically every 12 months.

I would have expected this to be covered as this list of visa types is newer than the changes and release of the new TE visa

The Privilege Entry visa which is given to Thailand Elite members is governed by a separate Ministry of Interior order. Thai text here: http://www.matichon.co.th/news_detail.php?newsid=1363262247

Thank you very much. So the ministerial order was passed 14 March 2556 and was published in Gazette. Finally there's a clue.

Continued here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/726441-thailand-elite-easy-access-500k-thb-card/page-27#entry8216447

Edited by DrTuner

So you can stay in Thailand for two years learning thai, but now you HAVE to leave the country, waste 3 days and 15000thb to renew your visa when you could do an extension in 30 minutes at the local immigration office. Another stupid rule imposed for no apparent reason. What's the next step, every 3 months student will have to apply for a new visa outside the country? Do the immigration have deals with airlines companies and consulate or something?

No they are just trying to improve their carbon footprint.

I must admit I was never a fan of this rule.

If your 63 years old and get an 18 years old hooker pregnant its "welcome to our country". But at 29 years old, wife 31 and two kids they make it difficult.

Unless I am reading this wrong, are they saying that now I cant get another 60 day extension based on my children?

• Like 2

In what way, if any, does this affect a 67 year old man married to a Thai?

None so far , till they update the rules ,they got till the 29th so prepare for many changes to come