Just got offered a teaching job in Bangkok... Help?

Iwantto

Well, here is what you are going to have to do:

Convince every school in Thailand not to hire the guy.

But, guess what? He is going to have a really easy time finding a job. Like falling off of a truck. The schools will be happy to hire him.

You can scowl and complain. You can pontificate and belittle. It will not make a bit of difference. The schools, in other words the Thai people who run the schools, have decided that this guy is an asset--an asset they are willing to pay well for.

When I say that young, good-looking people have an easy time finding a job in Thailand, I'm not stating opinion that I necessarily agree with. I'm simply stating a fact based upon a great deal of background knowledge and history. Like you, it matters little if I like it or not. But at least I'm realistic enough to understand that the situation is what it is and I'm not trying to deny reality.

" If you're referring to me, I'm hardly bitter." Really Scott? Notice any "likes" posted on yor comments? Sure the OP sounded a little full of himself but as you know in Thailand looks do mean a lot. Young well groomed, professional looking guy, vs young long haired back pack looking "hippie' vs Old (60+) short wearing expat looking guy---who would get the job? And he didn't ask about any help with a visa , maybe he's going to marry the G/F so will be able to stay because of marriage..

Thank Buddha.

Personally, I would like to know the school is only hiring educated teachers who are qualified to teach my kids, not some kid who feels entitled to stay in Thailand because his girlfriend has a family member in the school. It's about having decent teachers, not unqualified, spoiled, punk kids.

If you're referring to me, I'm hardly bitter. I would, however, like to see the Thai school system hire someone qualified. Apparently this matters very little to you. Lemme guess....you teach, you have a TEFL, but no degree?

We took our neice to her 1st day of school (not BKK) and she introduced herself to her teacher in perfect English. Teacher asked "who taught you" she said " my uncle"

Later were told by my sister-in-law that they wanted to know if I wanted a job --reason both her teacher and Pinay aid spoke English badly so i guessed they wanted me to be like a teacher's assistant to help with pronounciation and grammar. Probably same thing OP's G/F wants him to do there just to give him something to do and extra spending money. He already mentioned he did not need cash for ticket home ect.

And your remark to the other poster about "would you want him teaching your kids" I would let him as a TEFL teacher or teachers aid rather than a Thai or other NES who could not pronounce correctly yet was certified as a teacher.

Well Tony, there are 7 likes and the post is now POPULAR, imagine that.

Bottom line - the guy has no degree, is illegal, is not a teacher, and has no business teaching in a school. Your logic is so skewed it's ridiculous. Just because someone isn't vain enough to declare himself, "young, fit, and handsome," or someone else isn't drooling over their good looks, doesn't mean the other teachers are young hippies or old, short wearing expats.

Regardless of this guy and how unqualified he is, Thai schools need real teachers. This means they need to pay real money but first, it means getting rid of all the fly by night, wanna be teachers and visa mills. In my opinion, that's what this guy probably is. Do you seriously believe he came to Thailand because he wants to teach children and make a difference in their lives? Please...wake up bucko.

You're entitled to your opinion though, no matter how misguided and illogical it is.

Edited by brucetefl

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But, guess what? He is going to have a really easy time finding a job. Like falling off of a truck. The schools will be happy to hire him.

You can scowl and complain. You can pontificate and belittle. It will not make a bit of difference. The schools, in other words the Thai people who run the schools, have decided that this guy is an asset--an asset they are willing to pay well for.

When I say that young, good-looking people have an easy time finding a job in Thailand, I'm not stating opinion that I necessarily agree with. I'm simply stating a fact based upon a great deal of background knowledge and history. Like you, it matters little if I like it or not. But at least I'm realistic enough to understand that the situation is what it is and I'm not trying to deny reality.

Well Bruce, being young is definitely not always a virtue. However, if I have the choice between hiring someone young, well-kept, and polite versus an old unkempt, impolite man in shorts, of course I'll choose the young candidate. Rarely is it so cut and dry though.

As far as not convincing the schools in Thailand to not hire the guy, right you are, however, as more schools are raided and the crackdowns continue, more visa mills will close.

Also, you make the mistake of thinking that just because this guy can find a job at some so-called English school that this means he is an asset. Immigration may think otherwise. I think otherwise.

If a school wants to hire a guy without a degree and without a work permit, I hope immigration throws the book at the school and the teacher. Excuse me for being so righteous, but it's for the good of the kids. My dog speaks English better than most Thais and crappy English teachers, foreign or Thai, are one of the reasons why.

I am 100% aware of the visa situation going on in Thailand. I have been here for 2 years, just new to Bangkok. I am only asking about the job offer.

Sure, but the terms of the job offer (as there is no work permit) mean that you'll be working in Thailand illegally, should you accept the job. And all you're worried about is the salary!

This job offer only sets you up to potentially being a criminal - probably not the wisest career move.

I wish you the best of luck.

I am aware.... I am also aware than 90% of all the other English teachers here, as well as internet workers and restaurant owners are also illegal...

And yes, this school is one of the top international schools in Thailand. Not joking here or making things up... My GF has a family member who holds a high position in the school.

This is getting sillier by the posting lol

No, it's not a top international school.

They do not employ non degree holders, especially on 30K a month...with 5 paid holidays <deleted>....

"And native ESL teachers in Thai schools should be supervised and supported by the Thai "professional" teachers who have degrees in Education. They go in, teach a class with the curriculum provided, and leave. They should not be responsible for anything else. "

100 % agree. Should but unfortunately aren't.

The Thai social teachers actually stands at the front of the class EVERY class and reads from the textbook. The kids are riveted to their chairs...not ...lol.....this is apparently acceptable to Admin.....just let the farang teacher do that and see how far we get!

• Like 1

You guys should be fiction writers.

Raids? What raids? They may happen. But they have not. Saying they will is pure speculation.

My dog speaks English better than most Thais and crappy English teachers, foreign or Thai, are one of the reasons why.

Having personally been involved in the TEFL training of 3,000 Thai teachers and visited many hundreds of schools in Thailand over nearly two decades I could literally write a PhD thesis on this topic. But here I will just say this:

In my professional experience and opinion, the NES are not the problem but are a small part of a solution if other factors could change.

Well Bruce, being young is definitely not always a virtue. However, if I have the choice between hiring someone young, well-kept, and polite versus an old unkempt, impolite man in shorts, of course I'll choose the young candidate. Rarely is it so cut and dry though.

As far as not convincing the schools in Thailand to not hire the guy, right you are, however, as more schools are raided and the crackdowns continue, more visa mills will close.

Also, you make the mistake of thinking that just because this guy can find a job at some so-called English school that this means he is an asset. Immigration may think otherwise. I think otherwise.

If a school wants to hire a guy without a degree and without a work permit, I hope immigration throws the book at the school and the teacher. Excuse me for being so righteous, but it's for the good of the kids. My dog speaks English better than most Thais and crappy English teachers, foreign or Thai, are one of the reasons why.

Edited by brucetefl

I missed that post about the speaking dog, but I would say that post tops Mr. Blondes 30,000thb a month top International school offer for being muscular and professional looking :-)

But going back to the dog wonder... is it possible that the guy is actually trying to learn English from his dog??

His grammar is awful and yet he wants to come on here and slag off the Thai and foreign teachers. No time for people like that. Be grateful people try to speak our language Dr. Doolittle.

• Like 1

I too, am young, tall, handsome, with the visage of a greek god, sing like Pavorotti, am hung like a horse and butter doesn't melt in my mouth, but do not have a degree. However, due to my incomparable beauty and commanding presence, a top international language school is willing to pay me B$32,000 per month just to meet the parents. No WP required. So OP, hold out for more. Look what it got me.

• Like 2

Love the description, are you looking for information about teachers wages or a girlfriend?

So you know all about living in Asia and you are aware of the visa rules and clampdown and you are aware that you can get more than 30,000 baht so whats youir point exactly?

For someone who is so aware the answer is a no brainer,

There are very few farang in Thailand I would trust to teach children without supervision.

Since you asked the question.

It remains strange that Thai's allow completely unknown foreigners in a classroom with underage kids without any checking of references, criminal background, and/or qualifications i.e. degrees. You must either be poor or hate your child to allow him/her to be "taught" by foreigners you know nothing about. It remains again I guess, about the loss of face the Thai staff at said school would have to deal with.

I agree schools should do more background checks on ALL teachers not just foreigners.

But to assume every foreigner came to Thailand for the girls is totally wrong.

The school knows nothing about the Thai teachers either, who are just as likely to be pedos.

Please tell me casualbiker......where specifically in Australia would I find a " english conversation teacher"

In secondary schools we have what's called ESL teachers. Of course these teachers have done a degree and one full time year teacher training. In addition every teacher must have a working with children clearance. Every year teachers are required to renew their teacher registration.

My point is this. I would not call myself a teacher if all I possess is a coupon ticket.

I don't know about Australia, but most first world countries teach ESL in churches, community centres, and language schools.

There you will find conversational English teachers.

Those schools require a TEFL or equivalent.

You do not need a degree in Education to teach ESL. Requiring one would set Thailand's path to learning English backwards big time.

• Like 2

Please tell me casualbiker......where specifically in Australia would I find a " english conversation teacher"

In secondary schools we have what's called ESL teachers. Of course these teachers have done a degree and one full time year teacher training. In addition every teacher must have a working with children clearance. Every year teachers are required to renew their teacher registration.

My point is this. I would not call myself a teacher if all I possess is a coupon ticket.

I don't know about Australia, but most first world countries teach ESL in churches, community centres, and language schools.

You do not need a degree in Education to teach ESL. Requiring one would set Thailand's path to learning English backwards big time.

Your missing my point. ESL teachers, in Australia, at least, have a degree and teaching qualification. ESL, stands for " english as a second language". This was particularly necessary in Australia, as that country has immigrants from so many countries. Anyway, ALL those teachers have a degree. The teachers in Thailand are suppose to have a degree.

As for the TEFL qualification......I know a person that obtained one in two weeks online. That's some qualification.

It takes between 3 and 4 years to become a tradesman in Australia. Full time.

After 25 years teaching math, I worked as a licensed builder. I had at times 3 apprentices working for me. Just because I showed them how to shot a nail gun and make wall frames, I would not call myself a teacher.

The OP, like many others here parade around calling themselves teachers. They are not TEACHERS. They obtained a coupon tefl ticket. They perhaps stacking shelves in farang land. I am not referring to the fully qualified teachers here!

i think its funny that english teachers are still making the same money as they were 20 years ago, without the benefit of a work permit.

in 1996, base level for a univerisity gig was 26,500 with some other benefits thrown in, to the tune o 3-4k full salary during holidays and the ability to treble that with privates.

seems a mugs game now, back then it has difficult to break a 1000 baht note.

Edited by HooHaa

Your missing my point. ESL teachers, in Australia, at least, have a degree and teaching qualification. ESL, stands for " english as a second language". This was particularly necessary in Australia, as that country has immigrants from so many countries. Anyway, ALL those teachers have a degree. The teachers in Thailand are suppose to have a degree.

As for the TEFL qualification......I know a person that obtained one in two weeks online. That's some qualification.

After 25 years teaching math, I worked as a licensed builder. I had at times 3 apprentices working for me. Just because I showed them how to shot a nail gun and make wall frames, I would not call myself a teacher.

The OP, like many others here parade around calling themselves teachers. They are not TEACHERS. They obtained a coupon tefl ticket. They perhaps stacking shelves in farang land. I am not referring to the fully qualified teachers here!

As I said before Australia. Uk and many other countries do NOT require a degree for ESL teachers working in language schools.

Also your saying you were a teacher for 25 years then spent 3-4 years to train as a builder!

why?

are you now a teacher or a builder?

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Now they are " private language schools" and " numerous government schemes" .

I don't think you need a drivers license to drive on a go cart track......but you certainly do to drive on "real" roads.

Perhaps I could sell bandages and herbal tonic and called myself a doctor. I just won't mention I never went to medical school.

I did it online.

• Like 1

i think its funny that english teachers are still making the same money as they were 20 years ago, without the benefit of a work permit.

in 1996, base level for a univerisity gig was 26,500 with some other benefits thrown in, to the tune o 3-4k full salary during holidays and the ability to treble that with privates.

seems a mugs game now, back then it has difficult to break a 1000 baht note.

I think you can largely thank the agencies for this pocketing all the cash.

Posts that have the reply inside the quote tag have been removed as well as quotes that improperly formatted. When quoting a number of posts, sometimes the quotes get messed up. I believe this happens more with mobile devices.

I'm not missing your point, I'm arguing your point.

If Thailand demands BEd degrees and teaching licenses from home country, the English will plummet here.

Period end.

Most countries teach ESL though TEFL and like people. Are there $hitty 2 week on line courses in TEFL? Yes, the same as you can buy a PhD on Kao San Road.

If you showed someone how to "shot" a nail gun, guess what? You taught them. They now know how to shoot a nail gun.

Now they are " private language schools" and " numerous government schemes" .

I don't think you need a drivers license to drive on a go cart track......but you certainly do to drive on "real" roads.

Perhaps I could sell bandages and herbal tonic and called myself a doctor. I just won't mention I never went to medical school.

I did it online.

what you and others who demand BEd degrees are pushing for, is virtually all foreigners quit teaching English, and let the Thai and Pilipino non native speakers take over the teaching of English. Good luck with that.

--- SORRY, any reputable international school in Bangkok (or any place around the world) would not hire a person without a degree or experience, so I imagine it is one of those so called "international schools" that hires a few blond hair-blue eyed breathing people to look like they are a Western school. A good international school has to be accredited from an agency back home- USA, England, Australia. To meet the standards, the teachers have to be certified as a teacher from a reputable university. The Thai education department also checks on the paper work at these international schools. So if you do not have a degree (but you are fit and young as if that is a criteria) you are lucky to be paid 100 baht a day.

Edited by toenail

--- SORRY, any reputable international school in Bangkok (or any place around the world) would not hire a person without a degree or experience, so I imagine it is one of those so called "international schools" that hires a few blond hair-blue eyed breathing people to look like they are a Western school. A good international school has to be accredited from an agency back home- USA, England, Australia. To meet the standards, the teachers have to be certified as a teacher from a reputable university. The Thai education department also checks on the paper work at these international schools. So if you do not have a degree (but you are fit and young as if that is a criteria) you are lucky to be paid 100 baht a day.

So the OP would be lucky he's getting 1,500baht a day!!!

I believe the OP is in fact a troll who lives under a bridge!

If Thailand requires BEd's, English education will be done only by very few NES and mostly Pilipino, many whose English is heavily accented and subpar, many whose English is fine.

The proficiency in English will plummet.

...from abysmal to ?

Not sure if there is anything beyond the abyss. Anyone even been there?

• Like 1

If Thailand requires BEd's, English education will be done only by very few NES and mostly Pilipino, many whose English is heavily accented and subpar, many whose English is fine.

The proficiency in English will plummet.

...from abysmal to ?

Not sure if there is anything beyond the abyss. Anyone even been there?

Personally. I think Thais speaking and using English has improved markedly in the last 3-4 years. Considering that many schools only started employing NES in any quantity within the last 10-12 years that's about right.

I see a lot of issues in your short stay in Thailand. You have no degree and the government is going to be cracking down on people like you.

Maybe your athletic build and cute looks will play well in prison. :)

Edited by benj005
  • Like 1

I worked at a school in South Korea called International Language School. It was an international school in name only. It wasn't an accredited school with real teachers. It was OK for what it was. I was the only teacher with an actual teacher certificate.

I believe a real international would lose accreditation if they hired someone without the proper certs.

A quick reminder of the following rules:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

Specifically please don't comment on the grammar of other posters, as it's trolling which only serves to take the topic, off topic, as people then end up trolling each other back and forth.

Does anyone care besides you that you are all tall blonde and fit?

Yes. The Thais do...

The lady boys like!!!

I wish I was a young, tall, handsome, fit blonde. I would have the world by its ballz. Instead I have brown hair, and I'm not that tall. Am I a failure!?!??!?

I think I'm gonna throw myself off the bridge.

sad.png

J/k...... [emoji3]