Just got offered a teaching job in Bangkok... Help?

Iwantto

Does anyone care besides you that you are all tall blonde and fit?

Yes. The Thais do...

The lady boys like!!!

I wish I was a young, tall, handsome, fit blonde. I would have the world by its ballz. Instead I have brown hair, and I'm not that tall. Am I a failure!?!??!?

I think I'm gonna throw myself off the bridge.

sad.png

Don't bother throwing yourself off the bridge. I am sure your OK. Give yourself some time and you won't be blond but your hair may turn white.

In the meantime, we should try to stay a little closer to the topic.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone care besides you that you are all tall blonde and fit?

Yes. The Thais do...
The lady boys like!!!

I wish I was a young, tall, handsome, fit blonde. I would have the world by its ballz. Instead I have brown hair, and I'm not that tall. Am I a failure!?!??!?

I think I'm gonna throw myself off the bridge.

sad.png

Don't bother throwing yourself off the bridge. I am sure your OK. Give yourself some time and you won't be blond but your hair may turn white.

In the meantime, we should try to stay a little closer to the topic.

Sorry.

Just making light of what OP said. :)

You could be right, but then again the school could have told him they are "one of the best, most recognized international schools in Thailand", although it is questionable. If you think posters are less than honest sometimes, schools are not always known to be truthful as well.

I do know of a well-known, although I wouldn't call it one of the best, international schools who have hired people without a full degree (one had an Associates Degree), but they were hired for specific responsibilities, such as teaching music -- especially if it is an instrument where it's not easy to find an instructor. I don't know if that job was a full-time position, or whether it was part-time.

I don't know of any of the better known international schools to hire someone without a degree for regular classroom teaching.

You could be right, but then again the school could have told him they are "one of the best, most recognized international schools in Thailand", although it is questionable. If you think posters are less than honest sometimes, schools are not always known to be truthful as well.

I do know of a well-known, although I wouldn't call it one of the best, international schools who have hired people without a full degree (one had an Associates Degree), but they were hired for specific responsibilities, such as teaching music -- especially if it is an instrument where it's not easy to find an instructor. I don't know if that job was a full-time position, or whether it was part-time.

I don't know of any of the better known international schools to hire someone without a degree for regular classroom teaching.

If an international school hired a "teacher" without a degree could they run the risk of having their standing pulled?

What about being possibly fined?

My point is that it is probably not one of the best international schools and so they would not lose much standing by hiring someone without a degree. How is the school going to get caught?

I know a school that had a surprise visit by immigration. Immigration checked the paperwork, but they did not have the means to check each individual teacher to see if they were legal. All they know is that everyone they saw paperwork on was legal.

Other than relatively small schools with a few foreign employees, it would rather difficult to catch a particular person without some inside information.

....But we are straying off topic.

There are very few farang in Thailand I would trust to teach children without supervision.

Since you asked the question.

It remains strange that Thai's allow completely unknown foreigners in a classroom with underage kids without any checking of references, criminal background, and/or qualifications i.e. degrees. You must either be poor or hate your child to allow him/her to be "taught" by foreigners you know nothing about. It remains again I guess, about the loss of face the Thai staff at said school would have to deal with.

You need a police check to obtain a non b visa as a teacher...at least I did! But im working at a reputable private school with a salary of over 60k...I am qualified though and have a PGCE...the OP should not take this job.get qualified first...

• 2 weeks later...

"The school, who I wont mention, is one of the best, most recognized international schools in Thailand, with many, huge campuses."

Sorry but I don't know of ANY top international schools with many huge campuses other than St. Andrews (and they're neither the most recognized or have huge campuses).

Firstly 30,000 baht a month is a good wage when you consider there are some Thai people earning as little as 6,000 baht a month and some of the 7 eleven staff under 10,000 baht a month! ( if you had to you could live quite easily on 10,000 baht a month in Bangkok.( even with blonde hair...) There is cheap accommodation ( i helped a Thai girl a few weeks ago find a room in Bangkok for 3,000 baht a month with wifi.Perfect while you are starting out!) But if it was me ( i can't stand being indoors all day - and the bloody aircon would drive me nuts! ) but i would insist on a " work permit " from day 1 ( with no excuses! ) F.J wai2.gif

"Firstly 30,000 baht a month is a good wage when you consider there are some Thai people earning as little as 6,000 baht a month and some of the 7 eleven staff under 10,000 baht a month! ( if you had to you could live quite easily on 10,000 baht a month in Bangkok.( even with blonde hair...) There is cheap accommodation ( i helped a Thai girl a few weeks ago find a room in Bangkok for 3,000 baht a month with wifi.Perfect while you are starting out!) But if it was me ( i can't stand being indoors all day - and the bloody aircon would drive me nuts! ) but i would insist on a " work permit " from day 1 ( with no excuses! ) F.J wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4X.gif"

This is just the most retarded comment I have ever read about teaching.

My guess is that you don't teach, are not licensed have no idea about how much International schools pay. Foreigners cannot live in BKK for 10,000 baht a month. If you compare a teacher with an unskilled lowest rank labor position, you are nuts.

Any apartment for less than 5k baht a month in BKK is a total Shole. I personally never found any place decent for less than 8k.