Just got offered a teaching job in Bangkok... Help?

Iwantto

I can honestly say that, from his few posts here, the OP comes across as an "unqualified, spoiled, punk kid" but its also true that most of the rest of you come across as bitter, angry old men.

Right?

And the attacks continue.

Whats wrong with just answering the guys question and letting him make his own life decisions.

Its not like you are this dude's mommy!

Thank Buddha.

Personally, I would like to know the school is only hiring educated teachers who are qualified to teach my kids, not some kid who feels entitled to stay in Thailand because his girlfriend has a family member in the school. It's about having decent teachers, not unqualified, spoiled, punk kids.

If you're referring to me, I'm hardly bitter. I would, however, like to see the Thai school system hire someone qualified. Apparently this matters very little to you. Lemme guess....you teach, you have a TEFL, but no degree?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hahaha

Not even remotely close.

You have a valid opinion, but why not make the point without attacking others?

I can honestly say that, from his few posts here, the OP comes across as an "unqualified, spoiled, punk kid" but its also true that most of the rest of you come across as bitter, angry old men.

Right?

And the attacks continue.

Whats wrong with just answering the guys question and letting him make his own life decisions.

Its not like you are this dude's mommy!

Thank Buddha.

Personally, I would like to know the school is only hiring educated teachers who are qualified to teach my kids, not some kid who feels entitled to stay in Thailand because his girlfriend has a family member in the school. It's about having decent teachers, not unqualified, spoiled, punk kids.

If you're referring to me, I'm hardly bitter. I would, however, like to see the Thai school system hire someone qualified. Apparently this matters very little to you. Lemme guess....you teach, you have a TEFL, but no degree?

But no one will ever need to bail you out because, if history is any indication, there will be no real punishment.

Hey OP

Don't mind the jaded old farts on here. If I was young, gorgeous, have big d$ck, hiso gf, I would just take the job for spending money (makes sure your hiso gf gets you condo first though).

If you get caught by immigration just ask your your well connected gf's family to bail you out. BTW, best to get her pregnant first.

Just my 2 satang. Best of luck stud muffin!!

The term "International" school is like the term "Bar". It entices some Thai's who have no knowledge of what a real International school and for that matter, costs. When you see "Bar" you assume you will have to pay more than retail. The point remains, some unknowing people are lead around and end up getting ripped off. It's no different than the marketing ploy tried on this very site with the "University" degrees etc.. Bottom line, "real" International schools don't hire unqualified people and girlfriends who drive late model Mercedes are not "different", just older than the boyfriend. Ladies have "kiks" also, rich ladies.

• Like 1

First of all , you mention blonde hair, oh and tall. Yummy. Your English is appalling but hey this is a third world country so you can do what you want.

You come here with clear intention to break Thailand laws. I hope you get caught and deported. The visa crackdown is partially caused by critters like you. You say you have no degree. What actually is your qualifications.

Please don't say it should read ....what are your qualifications..... Can be both.

Go back home and stack shelves.

Oh on a side note. My thai gf has qualifactions. She is in charge of 8 office staff. Effectively the whole office. She receives 25,000bht per month. GO HOME !!

• Like 1

But no one will ever need to bail you out because, if history is any indication, there will be no real punishment.

There is a new round of inspections coming from Bangkok, inspections of schools with MEP and EP programs. I think it's in November of this year. The only punishment will be in the form of budget cutting. I don't think, as you seem to agree, they are after the teachers as much as they are after the program Directors for committing fraud on the Department of Education. When you request funding, which I'm told is monthly!, you have to state the foreigners are all degree holding fully qualified teachers. The funding is then an amount multiplied by the number of students in the program. So to conclude, if they don't fill the classrooms and don't have teachers, it results in reduced funding.

• Like 1

I don't know about OP, but anyone who tries to deny that young and good-looking is not important in Thailand is just being dishonest. Every year it becomes more obvious--looks are just important if not more important than teaching ability. Sad but true. Maybe I wouldn't be sad if I were young and handsome.

30,000 is not very good in Bangkok. Even without a degree. 35,000 is the normal starting salary. Degree or no degree.

Would you want this guy teaching your kids?

Thailand is a wonderful place.

But if I had kids and they were in Thailand, i would teach them myself.

To answer your question, I would not want him teaching my kids, unless it was how to primp and pump. He is a body builder, I think he said.

Is he smart enough? No.

There are very few farang in Thailand I would trust to teach children without supervision.

Since you asked the question.

• Like 1

There are very few farang in Thailand I would trust to teach children without supervision.

Since you asked the question.

It remains strange that Thai's allow completely unknown foreigners in a classroom with underage kids without any checking of references, criminal background, and/or qualifications i.e. degrees. You must either be poor or hate your child to allow him/her to be "taught" by foreigners you know nothing about. It remains again I guess, about the loss of face the Thai staff at said school would have to deal with.

• Like 1

I am 100% aware of the visa situation going on in Thailand. I have been here for 2 years, just new to Bangkok. I am only asking about the job offer.

If I was you would inform the school you are willing to work with them but only after they arrange the proper Visa and then the work permit and then the Extension and they pay for all and any of the expenses involved...and they arrange everything for you.

There are a number of known and not so obvious companies or individuals who can arrange everything that you need with the cooperation of the school itself.

They do this as a matter of business and they charge for it ...but you obtain the proper permits and proper immigration status.

The first thing is for the school do to their part first and conform with the necessary requirements to obtain you a proper Visa then the work permit and then the 1 year extension.

If they do their part and or they use a visa agent then really about all you have to do is give them your passport and they will arrange everything for you.

In actual practice you are supposed to leave the country to obtain a 90 day non immigrant "B" visa at a Thai Embassy.

** That is what I have always understood and or had various immigration officials or visa agents tell me concerning the actual practice procedures relative to obtaining a 90 day Non Immigrant "B" visa....at a Thai Embassy.

If I am wrong then someone please correct me.

However a Visa agent can arrange that part inside Thailand and no need to go to a Thai Embassy to apply for a 90 day Non Immigrant "B" Visa.

Obtaining the 90 Day Non Immigrant "B" Visa at a Thai Embassy is more or less a pain in the ass and you would not be the first one to be turned down or rejected because of some minor mistake or incomplete documentation.

I can only surmise that the schools and or any Thai companies contemplating hiring a foreigner to work at their company are now more than aware of the urgency for the Thai company to arrange all the required and necessary documentation for the would be employee.

That means preparing and signing and making many multiple copies of around 10 documents that are required to obtain a 90 day Non Immigrant "B" Visa at a Thai embassy.

My wife and other people I know, that work for various companies, have gone through the ordeal of getting the Thai company itself to do their part first and arrange all the documents ( company info, registration, share holders, permits, latest company audits and financial information and signatures and stamps and more) , needed for a foreigner to use when applying for a 90 Day Non Immigrant "B" Visa at a Thai Embassy.

If you leave it up to the Thai company and their directors and accountants and the other Thai employees to comply with the Thai Embassies requirements and or immigration division requirements and or the Labor department requirements and arrange all the required documentation then you may be in for a long frustrating wait for them to get everything together before you can apply for the 90 Day Non Immigrant "B" Visa or the work permit and or the 1 year immigration extension.

For the last 20 or more years they have simply been ignoring the rules and regulations themselves while telling the foreigners to make the Visa runs and come back and carry on working illegally on a tourist visa or overstay.

No one ever came around and bothered them about the immigration status or work permit status of foreigners working in their company illegally...so in effect the Thai Company / Employer was ( knowingly complicit ) in violating the rules and regulations and laws.

Now, the Thai Employers are also being confronted by the changes in immigration rules and their enforcement and more or less forced to comply with the latest changes in the immigration rules that does not allow foreigners to do the visa runs any longer or over stay without harsh penalties, so, the Thai Companies have to get their asses in gear and do their part First.

By now most of the schools have arranged all their documentation requirements and or used the services of a Visa Agent or a Law firm that will arrange all of the necessary requirements while assisting to help ( fast track ) the effort required to have a foreigner come on board and legally work for their company.

Good luck and be prepared for some frustration.

Cheers

• Like 2

Wow, this topic has spiraled out of control really quickly... What HiSo part of Thailand are you guys from? I would love to visit... It sounds like America... Land of the free and where everyone follows the rules.

Are you guys even in Thailand??? I have been here 2+ years and I see rule breaking on EVERY level. Are you trying to tell me international schools wont hire someone without a degree? Wow, I hate to burst your bubble....

As for my GF, not sure what type of girls you guys like dating, I'm sure they are really high quality girls by the sound of it. Maybe I should start looking in the bars and online for a girlfriend like you guys so I can support them and their families with my low teaching salary.... Nah, I'll stick to my girl who's driving a Mercedes and spends the equivalent of your girlfriends (and her families) monthly stipend at Central in 15 minutes.

Also not sure how I got labeled as a backpacker, or looking to make money for a plane ticket home. Get off your high horses.

OMG hes young and doesn't have a degree!!!! Lets label him the worst person in Thailand!!!

I hope you do not remain here and teach. After reading a few pages of posts and your responses it's clear your illogical, vain, defensive, argumentative, and can hardly evidence the grammar for which your seeking employment. Your asking members here to be complicit in helping you break the law. It's not a surprise you've had to repeatedly explain your first post, insist a poster misunderstood, or assert some intellect, girlfriend, or lifestyle that wholly at odds with your post. Go home; don't screw up other minds with your own opaque, defensive delusion.

• Like 1

I am aware.... I am also aware than 90% of all the other English teachers here, as well as internet workers and restaurant owners are also illegal...

And yes, this school is one of the top international schools in Thailand. Not joking here or making things up... My GF has a family member who holds a high position in the school.

You are misinformed about the 90%. You are also misinformed about the concept that a "top" international school would hire someone to teach who isn't qualified. That leaves us with the question about the motivation of your GF. Having a family member in a high position means nothing at a school unless said person is in fact the "Director" and it's a Government school. Obviously it isn't as you say an "international" school. Bottom line, the GF doesn't want you to leave which is actually nice to know and read.

Hard to understand why someone who is so "aware" of everything manages to sound so clueless. Being young tall, fit and blonde may work to your disadvantage when you get banged up in detention awaiting your deportation.

"My GF has a family member who holds a high position in the school."

An unnamed "bestest" international school ever in the whole world and a GF whose sister-in-law's second cousin holds an unnamed position in this unnamed school ...yes, this has believability written all over it. Top tier international school hiring degree-less "teacher" without proper immigration status. What's wrong with this picture?

You obviously know nothing about Asia, you also clearly didn't read inside the parentheses. Thanks for trying to respond with something useful though smile.png

Ah to be young, blonde and degree-less. Parenthetical disclaimers do not sufficiently obscure your overwhelming love of self or the whiff of Eau de Troll.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

You obviously know nothing about Asia, you also clearly didn't read inside the parentheses. Thanks for trying to respond with something useful though smile.png

Actually, it's a pretty absurd way to begin your post. BTW, as I type this, my muscles are flexing seductively, sweat dripping from my brow, my intense gaze searing into your heart.

Edited by John1thru10
  • Like 2

I absolutely do not belive that. Sorry.

Give us name of school, location and dates. Name of teachers would be even better.

Otherwise I say its not true.

In 18 years including personal experience at a school that was visited by Immigration, I have never heard of anyone being deported. I have only heard of one person being fined... 500 baht.

Your sister's mothers, friend's cousin's co workers do not count.

Things may change, but they have not changed yet. And its likely the schools will be punished, not the teachers (if history holds form).

PS: My younger, good looking, degreeless friend walked into an easy job at a tech college earning 35,000. He could teach privates but would rather have the free time.

I am as usual amazed by the amount of misinfo posted. To say that very few people are caught is entirely incorrect - at the school where my wife works five teachers were caught and instantly deported and in another school in the same town all the teachers who did not have degrees were told to leave so................as for this salary - for your qualifications it's all you'll get but you could'nt live in bangkok for that unless your girlfriend is supporting you. I know loads of teachers in Bangkok and none of them earn less than 50 and most 75 with privates.

If you really want to teach go get a degree, then you can get a work permit and a good salary. You may have worked illegally for the last two years but I got to tell you , kiddo, those days are over. You will see inspections, raids and all sorts starting very soon and you'll be caught for sure. Don't be a mug -get legal before it's too late and they deport , fine you and refuse you reentry forever -that's my advice anyway. if you don't believe me start really reading this form and if yoyr'e very bright you may notice that in the last two weeks the tide has completely changed.

Edited by brucetefl
  • Like 1

The OP is a troll. No one is this clueless. I love the way some folks talk about being or becoming " english teachers " . They rarely talk about their previous occupation in homeland.

A bloke in Vietnam comes to mind. He was having a beer on way to work. Mentioned he was a teacher!!. Told me he did his TEEFL ONLINE. I should note that he said he worked " very hard " at it. The qualification took two weeks.

Please anyone working here as a teacher do not call yourself teachers.

I did an honours degree at Melbourne university and years later, due to family reasons, wanted to teah math. Needed to do a furtherone year full time for what we call a diploma of education.

People that do this are TEACHERS. Don't kid yourself with rubbish qualifications. In Australia, teachers would not work with unqualified people. Especially like the OP who openly states first option was to break thai law. Work without working permit. Surprised the moderators let this one through. Along with many posts encouraging OP to do exactly that.

None of my professors in my BS (Economics and International Relations) or MBA had a teaching qualification.

Apparently I am doomed.

My mom mainly taught me how to speak English. Its quite lucky she has her US teachers license. Otherwise I never would have learned to speak English! my sister, dad and the TV helped. Lucky they did not totally screw it up.

I speak Cantonese, Mandarin, and some Thai. I should have asked all the people who helped me learn if they had proper qualifications! They must have since my Chinese is pretty good.

You guys are so full of yourselves.

cheesy.gif

Edited by brucetefl

The OP is a troll. No one is this clueless. I love the way some folks talk about being or becoming " english teachers " . They rarely talk about their previous occupation in homeland.

A bloke in Vietnam comes to mind. He was having a beer on way to work. Mentioned he was a teacher!!. Told me he did his TEEFL ONLINE. I should note that he said he worked " very hard " at it. The qualification took two weeks.

Please anyone working here as a teacher do not call yourself teachers.

I did an honours degree at Melbourne university and years later, due to family reasons, wanted to teah math. Needed to do a furtherone year full time for what we call a diploma of education.

People that do this are TEACHERS. Don't kid yourself with rubbish qualifications. In Australia, teachers would not work with unqualified people. Especially like the OP who openly states first option was to break thai law. Work without working permit. Surprised the moderators let this one through. Along with many posts encouraging OP to do exactly that.

Good for you.

You are then in fact a subject teacher. And I agree that subject teachers SHOULD have degrees or extensive experience in the field that they teach.

We are talking about TEFL teachers, those that teach conversation .. teach conversation.

In Australia, UK and some parts of the USA the same teachers also do NOT require a degree for this language teaching.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

None of my professors in my BS (Economics and International Relations) or MBA had a teaching qualification.

Apparently I am doomed.

My mom mainly taught me how to speak English. Its quite lucky she has her US teachers license. Otherwise I never would have learned to speak English! my sister, dad and the TV helped. Lucky they did not totally screw it up.

I speak Cantonese, Mandarin, and some Thai. I should have asked all the people who helped me learn if they had proper qualifications! They must have since my Chinese is pretty good.

cheesy.gif

I think you confuse people capabilities with what the law requires.

• Like 1

No. I fully understand the legalities. I was responding to Jacksam.

Apparently I am doomed.

cheesy.gif

I think you confuse people capabilities with what the law requires.

I thought that there was a rule on this forum that prohibited to promote, encourage or even talk about illegal activities.

So far I have seen several replies, including one from a administrator, that advise the OP to take the job if it suits him, knowing that the job he was offered is illegal because there will be no workpermit provided.

Do I miss something?

Looking professional would consist of what exactly? Also an athletic build would benefit you in what exactly whilst teaching... carrying an extra text book and pen? Anywhoo for one of the best International schools to accept applicants without a degree, I'd like to just double check the website I've logged into as I'm not sure if this is thaivisa.com or total bullS**t.com ... this post has made me laugh. Thanks Mr. Blonde much appreciated for bringing a positive start to my day :-) maybe holdout for a remake of reservoir dogs

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Perhaps you think you are in the Germanvisa or USAvisa website????

Last time I checked the window we are still in Thailand.

I thought that there was a rule on this forum that prohibited to promote, encourage or even talk about illegal activities.

So far I have seen several replies, including one from a administrator, that advise the OP to take the job if it suits him, knowing that the job he was offered is illegal because there will be no workpermit provided.

Do I miss something?

Well one thing is certain, he is NOT working at the top international school. Top schools are:

ISB

Harrows

Looking professional would consist of what exactly? Also an athletic build would benefit you in what exactly whilst teaching... carrying an extra text book and pen? Anywhoo for one of the best International schools to accept applicants without a degree, I'd like to just double check the website I've logged into as I'm not sure if this is thaivisa.com or total bullS**t.com ... this post has made me laugh. Thanks Mr. Blonde much appreciated for bringing a positive start to my day :-) maybe holdout for a remake of reservoir dogs

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand