What's the stingiest thing you've seen someone do in Thailand

neverdie

The next worst thing I see is people dining, spending hundreds of baht, and being unwilling to even leave a 20 baht tip. Come on guys. It does not mean anything to you, but it sure means something to them. So, why not?

I earnt my money by working for it, not waiting on hand outs. so should they.

That is certainly your choice. But by the providence of your birth you were able to earn enough to come and live in an exotic country of your choice, and live well, at that. They do not have that good fortune. All I am suggesting is that it does a man's heart good, to be kind to others. And the tip of under $1 is not going to affect your life too dramatically. It might help theirs. But, the choice is yours to make.

The Thais I know in the US don't tip....ever. Service people rely on these tips to survive as they do not make a living wage.

The Thais that are there, by the providence of their birth, are able to earn enough to go to an exotic country of their choice and live well. Many Americans do not have this good fortune.

I suggest that these stingy people follow the customs of their host country and have enough respect to contribute to the well being of the country's citizens by giving them the proper amount they deserve for their services.

If Americans never came here for R&R during the Vietnam War tipping would not exist here.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Somebody let go a good loud fart....and I took the credit.

LOL @ Slip.

You common thief, can't even brew ur own stinkers 5555555

now that is stingy, your saving your own farts for when ur back under the covers where you can soak up all their goodness on ur own ;)

• Like 2

Most recent is the report of the Turk getting slashed over an argument for being charged 10 baht too much for a piece of fruit.

I mean, 10 baht, what a weirdo.

Then again I guess people still argue over that for the baht bus ride between Jomtien and Pattaya.

5 baht - 10 baht, unless you make less than 500 a day then I would say, yes sir = same same.

Referring to the tourist not the ripper.

Surely no non Thai makes less than 500 a day. I mean I literally throw those smaller denominations of cash away, less than 500 a day, is that even possible? :P

5 baht - 10 baht, unless you make less than 500 a day then I would say, yes sir = same same.

Surely no non Thai makes less than 500 a day. I mean I literally throw those smaller denominations of cash away, less than 500 a day, is that even possible? :P
Good way off quickly, becoming poor and a complete dissrespect towards money.

Only the smart man, "Who watches every baht" wins in the end!

(Sorry ND i cant thumbs up that one)

Dago,

Good way off? Please explain,I am not familiar with that term

Is there a prize?

PS: Don't worry about the thumbs up brother ;)

Edited by neverdie

Dago,

Is there a prize?

Sorry "Typo" Good way of becoming poor quickly,
  • Like 1

I had a friend who would always make a scene at restaurants, over a perception that he was being charged 20 baht too much. It was always over tiny stuff. And he is a wealthy guy. Also, he would never leave a tip, even after hassling the staff. Got to the point where none of my friends would want to eat with him. Same here. I blacklisted him. No interest in hanging out with Grinch.

The next worst thing I see is people dining, spending hundreds of baht, and being unwilling to even leave a 20 baht tip. Come on guys. It does not mean anything to you, but it sure means something to them. So, why not?

A tip is for the service and the quality of the food (considering the price)

If a waiter/ress decides to throw a menu down in front of me... no tip for you

If the food is horrible (microwaved, cold, long waiting times)... no tip for you

If the service is standard... tip for you

If the food was as described... tip for you

I dont go out of my way to tip for bad service or food...

• Like 1

Stingy.

One of my Thai brothers in law was going through a seperation from partner number 2 about a year ago, he was in need of somewhere to stay close to his work. As it happened our house was close by and as we were out of the country due to my work, my wife suggested he stay at ours.

So he moved in.

A couple of months later he moved out as the Electric and Water had been cut off as he hadn't paid the bills.

If that wasn't bad enough, he also decided to remove one of our TV's and sell it.

The money didn't go on reistating the Leccy and Water though.

What a stingy git.

Edited by soihok

Probably not the stingiest, but in my book pretty low...and a con I had not come up against before.....Last year I was sitting in a bar at Nana watching the world go by while the boss was shopping, ( it tends to numb the shock of the bill when she returns!)blink.png A Farang sat down and struck up a conversation. we ended up getting in reciprocal "rounds" (me on Chang, he on Tiger.) something I very, very rarely do with a strangerfacepalm.gif My wife returned, I paid my bin, and said goodbye. Three months later we returned as we are regular there, and the girl said there was a problem that I owed for some beer, Apparently, I had paid my bill which included his beers, but when he left he refused to pay for the Changs saying he did not drink them!! the resultant deficit would come out of the girls monies, so I paid the bill, but in my opinion a complete A******e. I still look out for him thoughbah.gif

Dago,

Is there a prize?

Not being aware of where you are from I was wonder what type of English you were speaking to me. I thought you might have been teaching me more British terms ?

Dago,

Is there a prize?

Not being aware of where you are from I was wonder what type of English you were speaking to me. I thought you might have been teaching me more British terms

I,m an Aussie dude tapping on a little 7" Galaxy tab "cant see tha words gov"

Out of interest, what nationality was the stingy farang?

Afraid to say he was, or rather is, British....sad.png

Oh dear, sorry to hear that. We're not all like that.facepalm.gif

I know what you mean dear boy...but it only takes one rotten apple as they sayermm.gif.pagespeed.ce.7f2Kr9k8HC.png

Stingy.

One of my Thai brothers in law was going through a seperation from partner number 2 about a year ago, he was in need of somewhere to stay close to his work. As it happened our house was close by and as we were out of the country due to my work, my wife suggested he stay at ours.

So he moved in.

A couple of months later he moved out as the Electric and Water had been cut off as he hadn't paid the bills.

If that wasn't bad enough, he also decided to remove one of our TV's and sell it.

The money didn't go on reistating the Leccy and Water though.

What a stingy git.

Yes, all a swine like that one has to do is commit one performance on that order, and you know exactly who he is. A very small man, with no honor, class, dignity, integrity, respect, affection, love, kindness, nor self esteem. Cut him off, forever. He is persona non grata. Too bad when immediate family does something so foolish, and so lacking in vision. But, a fool is a fool.

A Thai friend of mine had a bottle of water with a meal but didn't drink any. She tried to pour it back into the bottle but the ice had melted and so there wasn't enough room for all the water.

She asked for my bottle to put the remaining water in.

This really amazed me as the woman's husband is a multi millionaire.

A Thai friend of mine had a bottle of water with a meal but didn't drink any. She tried to pour it back into the bottle but the ice had melted and so there wasn't enough room for all the water.

She asked for my bottle to put the remaining water in.

This really amazed me as the woman's husband is a multi millionaire.

AaH how could'ent you love them!

You can take the woman out of the village "BUT" You cant take the village out of the woman