True connectivity will help Asean move forward, develop further, Abhisit says

Lite Beer

True connectivity will help Asean move forward, develop further, Abhisit says
Kathryn Huang,
Jintana Panyaarvudh
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Former prime minister Abhisit Vejjajiva yesterday called on Asean to focus on the issue of connectivity, as he said it was important for the region's development.

"We [Asean] have been criticised for moving too slowly, and though there is no proof, this simplistic criticism overlooks the challenges that the region is required to overcome," he said.

Abhisit was speaking at the "Moving Forward in Building the Asean Community" seminar held by Chulalongkorn University yesterday.

In his address, the former PM emphasised not just future plans for the integration of the community, but also challenges that Asean countries will probably face ahead of the amalgamation.

"When you put the 10 nations together, the size of the economy becomes US$2.5 trillion - a size that is comparable to India and Russia," he said.

In his address, Abhisit said it was time to build a single community consisting of the three pillars of security and political, economic, and socio-cultural dimensions.

"In 14 months, the countries will have to put into effect legislation as well as implement related taxes and tariffs that will create a single community," he said, adding that the value of a successful community comes through a sense of belonging and connectivity.

"We have come a long way in showing our potential," he said, citing projects such as the Thai railway connecting southern China and Singapore.

As for possible tensions with big powers outside the region, citing the South China Sea dispute, Abhisit said Asean leaders should not get caught up in these disputes as they might end up getting in the way of regional development.

"There is work still to be done," he said, adding that the integration would also ensure reduced gaps in income, infrastructure and education.

He said that once there is a sense of belonging and connectivity, only then would a true community emerge for the benefit of the people.

Narongchai Akrasanee, former commerce minister and now economic adviser to the military's ruling National Council for Peace and Order, said domestic politics and a strong government were key factors to move Thailand towards the Asean Community integration set for next year.

He pointed out that several major international trade agreements had been successfully signed by Thai governments created after coups d'etat in the past.

Elected governments usually struggled to have bills passed by Parliament and also encountered political protests, he said, citing the 2010 Asean summit in Pattaya, which was disrupted by red-shirt protesters and finally had to be called off.

"I feel sorry for Abhisit [who was PM in 2010]. Thai politics did not let him do anything," he said.

Narongchai, who is also a member of the new National Legislative Assembly, said the unelected body was determined to push through some 100 bills to help move the country forward.

"Under the current [junta] regime we will sign all the agreements. My conclusion is that next year would be a good year for us to move towards the Asean Community," he said, adding that he believes Thailand now had all preparations in place for the integration.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/True-connectivity-will-help-Asean-move-forward-dev-30240604.html

[thenation]2014-08-09[/thenation]

sound just like the unelected morons running the EU....look how well thats doing LOL

the underlying theme here is the TPP .....thailand will regret the day it signs up to this 

Edited by terryp

"adding that he believes Thailand now had all preparations in place for the integration"

While at the same time they treat their neighbours like slaves on their fishing fleets and push the Rohingya people out to sea again with no food or drinking water in sinking boats! Dream on.

• Like 2

I am often asked if there us a time difference between Thailand and Singapore. My usual reply is - yes, one hour ................... and about 30 years.

Unless there is strong and capable leadership without massive loss through corruption ..... there is little chance of a catchup being achieved and certainly not in the short term.
  • Like 2

Yes, more connectivity and integration, creating one community.

Thailand, do you really want a situation where everybody who is in Cambodia and Laos is free to come here, and live and work here ? Do you want Burma (their population is pretty big) to be allowed to do the same thing ? Actually, you can have what appears to be the present situation, this is where nearly all the Cambodians (legal and illegal) leave Thailand, and nearly all of them are (or will be) allowed to come back in. It's just that the illegal ones will fill in forms in Cambodia, and come back in as legal workers.

Actually, ASEAN is not going to allow free movement of all labour. If it did, then all the illegal and un-documented foreign workers will be legal. And if they're legal, well, you can't keep them as slaves. Thailand, it benefits you more to carry on with the present system, where you keep the foreigners as slaves (illegal immigrants). There's no need for more 'connectivity'.

(please note, the above has been written with sarcasm, but let's get real, a lot of rich Thais benefit from the illegal workers continuing to be illegal).

• Like 1

Narongchai, who is also a member of the new National Legislative Assembly, said the unelected body was determined to push through some 100 bills to help move the country forward.
I don't think 100 bills is nearly enough
Possibly 300 million 1000Baht bills for each of them would be a start

"We have come a long way in showing our potential," Abhisit said, citing projects such as the Thai railway connecting southern China and Singapore."

What Thai railway connecting S.China and Singapore? Not even contracted yet.

As for Narongchai, "My conclusion is that next year would be a good year for us to move towards the Asean Community"

What? w00t.gif Does he know it's 2015 next year?? whistling.gif  

• Like 1

Trade agreements and integrated transport systems do not Develop a nation or the people of a nation . Malaysia are going for "Developed Nation " status apparently , whatever that is , by 2020. Throwing money away (mainly into their own pockets) on massive infrastructure projects , when really what the people need is more schools ,hospital , Doctors ,Teachers, Nurses ect.

Many Malaysians think the developed nation status is a bit of a joke. A Malaysian bloke I was chatting to on the subject said that many Malaysians still have "A Third world attitude". Maybe Third world attitude is a bit harsh , but I think the attitude of many in this part of the world is different to say a European or American, just different backgrounds, histories , upbringing, aspirations , priorities ect. So for me it doesn't follow that ASEAN will ever be anything like the EU or US and trying to follow that blueprint will not necessarily be successful 

Narongchai Akrasanee, former commerce minister and now economic adviser to the military's ruling National Council for Peace and Order, said domestic politics and a strong government were key factors to move Thailand towards the Asean Community integration set for next year.

By "strong government" he of course he means one unfettered by any political opposition - like the one which has just given him his new plum advisory job and a seat on the powerful National Legislative Assembly.

Elected governments usually struggled to have bills passed by Parliament and also encountered political protests, he said.

Yep, democracy is a pain in the butt when you are trying to push through lots of measures the majority of the population might not like - if only they had a say.

"I feel sorry for Abhisit [who was PM in 2010]."

Which puts him in a very small minority.  In a nationwide survey by Bangkok University, disenchanted Thais rated the (Abhisit) government's two years in office at 4.61 out of 10.

Never mind -  all those unpopular policies democratically rejected four years ago can now be safely rushed through without a peep of public protest.

With Asean, it's a case of "Join the club" None of the other nine partner nations are what exactly beacons of democracy.

abhisit should be in jailwhistling.gif instead of giving bad advicelaugh.png

Can't actually comment on the OP though?

What is the bad advice? Why is it bad? What are the ramifications if Thailand followed this advice?

As I stated previously today "The UDD have shunned hard policy debates in favor of simple credos" You have mirrored this credos and Dr Weng can be assured his communist teachings have served him well through your lack of insight, constructive criticism and simplistic unrelated rebuttals to intellectually driven narratives.

Abhisit went to Eton and Oxford. Proof that even the best education in the world won't guarantee you a functioning brain.

Why no functioning brain?? Do you feel this ideas will negatively impact in Thailand during their transition? What do you feel are the ramifications if Thailand followed this advice?

As I stated previously today "The UDD have shunned hard policy debates in favor of simple credos" You have mirrored this credos and Dr Weng can be assured his communist teachings have served him well through your lack of insight, constructive criticism and simplistic unrelated rebuttals to intellectually driven narratives.

What are the PTP ideas for the transition or are they too busy criticizing everyone and anyone that does not suit their agenda? Maybe busy building a defense for upcoming court cases. In other words things that have nothing to do with making Thailand stronger or more prepared for ASEAN.

The Right Honorable Ahbisit might not have a functioning brain, but he is presenting ideas and planting seeds that may or may not lead to progress for the people, the voters and the children of Thailand that will inherit the country. That in itself is a righteous, honorable and constructive approach to leadership, policy moulding and positive guiding narrative that can be looked upon in a bright light. These are also refined qualities taught at Eton and Oxford.

I wonder what a Kentucky State University graduate would say to prepare Thailand for ASEAN? "The NACC treated me unfairly"? or "There is no irregularities in the rice scheme"? or "I promise to return by the 10th of August"? 

Well done Ahbisit it is not only through your constructive narrative that show you to be a brilliant politician thinking of the future of Thailand it is also the lack of an educated, response from some on TVF that highlight it is in fact them that don't have the functioning brain?

• Like 1

sound just like the unelected morons running the EU....look how well thats doing LOL

the underlying theme here is the TPP .....thailand will regret the day it signs up to this 

The current Thai policy, set by Yingluck and currently followed by General Sarit, is NOT to sign the TPP. Do you see this changing?

Abhisit went to Eton and Oxford. Proof that even the best education in the world won't guarantee you a functioning brain.

You didn't comment on the OP at all. At least Jeremy50 used the OP as the justification for his opinion. Is that an example of "having it both ways"?

Edited by wandasloan

Why no functioning brain?? Do you feel this ideas will negatively impact in Thailand during their transition? What do you feel are the ramifications if Thailand followed this advice?

What are the PTP ideas for the transition or are they too busy criticizing everyone and anyone that does not suit their agenda? Maybe busy building a defense for upcoming court cases. In other words things that have nothing to do with making Thailand stronger or more prepared for ASEAN.

The Right Honorable Ahbisit might not have a functioning brain, but he is presenting ideas and planting seeds that may or may not lead to progress for the people, the voters and the children of Thailand that will inherit the country. That in itself is a righteous, honorable and constructive approach to leadership, policy moulding and positive guiding narrative that can be looked upon in a bright light. These are also refined qualities taught at Eton and Oxford.

I wonder what a Kentucky State University graduate would say to prepare Thailand for ASEAN? "The NACC treated me unfairly"? or "There is no irregularities in the rice scheme"? or "I promise to return by the 10th of August"? 

Well done Ahbisit it is not only through your constructive narrative that show you to be a brilliant politician thinking of the future of Thailand it is also the lack of an educated, response from some on TVF that highlight it is in fact them that don't have the functioning brain?

Most Thai people see him rather differently, as a representative of a privileged elite whose stranglehold they have been trying to break for decades. 

Thaksin, to put it mildly, was no angel as prime minister. But he was the people's choice, not a failed politician inflicted on them by vested interests. And it is their view, not yours, which should count.

Thailand is at an important crossroads in its political development, with a very real risk of democracy itself being thrown out with Thaksin's dirty bathwater.

• Like 1

My comment was 'tongue in cheek'. I think he is a great guy. I am sure that the ASEAN 'single community' consisting of some of the most corrupt and autocratic nations ever to grace the surface of the planet can look forward to enjoying abundant prosperity, and that everyone will have a swell time.

• Like 1

The current Thai policy, set by Yingluck and currently followed by General Sarit, is NOT to sign the TPP. Do you see this changing?

You didn't comment on the OP at all. At least Jeremy50 used the OP as the justification for his opinion. Is that an example of "having it both ways"?

You didn't comment on the OP at all

Really?

"but he is presenting ideas and planting seeds that may or may not lead to progress for the people, the voters and the children of Thailand that will inherit the country."

Seems Jeremy cannot defend himself heay?

Who cares what he says???? Who is he?? It is a big problem if he keeps opening his mouse and tries to be the smart arse. He has had the chance but didn't live with it. 

He is basically claiming that the aggressive Chinese invasion on Vietnamese and Phillipines waters is fine. Real nice. 

Most Thai people see him rather differently, as a representative of a privileged elite whose stranglehold they have been trying to break for decades. 

Thaksin, to put it mildly, was no angel as prime minister. But he was the people's choice, not a failed politician inflicted on them by vested interests. And it is their view, not yours, which should count.

Thailand is at an important crossroads in its political development, with a very real risk of democracy itself being thrown out with Thaksin's dirty bathwater.

Jeremy cannot defend himself heay?

Really? Thaksin is not the elite. You still remember him being the poor boy that cycled to work when he was a kid? His "elite" status was consolidated through a coup. in 1992. He loved that coup. It represented an elite status. 

But he was the people's choice

So was Mugabe Elected PM for 33 yrs. Decimated Africa’s strongest economy and human rights abuses.

Chavez was the peoples choice. Elected PM for 15 yrs. Consolidated power through constitutional change, intimidating opponents.

Al Basher was the peoples choice. Elected PM for 24 yrs. War crimes and crimes against humanity.

They all had gullible followers that swore the elected man was the "peoples choice" ergo the right guy for the job. How I pity them.

thakin was an elected PM. Intimidate opponents, tried to consolidate power through constitutional change, crimes against humanity, terrorism, ignoring the majority with the amnesty bill. The list goes on. This "peoples choice" you mention is not a badge of success, but of failure. This is why reform is needed. Not becauer the wrong man was elected, but because the people elected the wrong man. Education  is the key. Without education democracy cannot flourish. Terrorism can as you witnessed over the last 8 months.

I have to set an example to my children lest they judge me later in life. I support a minority with a clear moral conscience as opposed to an uneducated majority that inadvertently allowed terrorism to flourish with impunity.

To put it bluntly, to support the PTP was and has been proven was to support terrorism.

My children deserve better.

Well done Ahbisit.

This is why reform is needed. 

Thailand is at an important crossroads in its political development

Correct. And as universities within Thailand recognize this they approach Ahbisit to give informative speeches that tap into his intellectual being to allow others to mould and transform this country along side him as highlighted in this OP. I wish the PTP would follow this lead instead of staying in the shadows of bitterness and despair and continuing with their predictable negative narrative of intimidation and negativity. 

with a very real risk of democracy itself being thrown out with Thaksin's dirty bathwater.

Completely correct. And now that we are seeing reform not only 1 principle of democracy will be adhered too. All will. Democracy is not based solely on election. Mugabe, Chavez and Al Basher would agree with you that it is, but I don't. Neither does the Right Honorable General Preyuth and the Right Honorable Ahbisit. thaksin of course agrees with you because he has a carrot he can dangle to appear he is helping the people as the others I mentioned did.

Unfortunately actions speech loader than words and when 1.5 trillion baht has been funneled into helping the farmers by shin regimes over 10 years with the farmers being poorer now and more in debt now than they were 10 years ago speaks volumes.

If you turn the volume up far enough you will hear the echo "You are wrong"….."You are wrong"….."You are wrong"

Take care and please join the reconciliation move. If, like me, you have children in Thailand, you owe it to them. Not you.

Perhaps you should read up on who actually runs the EU. They aren't unelected. Maybe it's not then who are morons.

My comment was 'tongue in cheek'. I think he is a great guy. I am sure that the ASEAN 'single community' consisting of some of the most corrupt and autocratic nations ever to grace the surface of the planet can look forward to enjoying abundant prosperity, and that everyone will have a swell time.

Your first comment on Ahbisit.

even the best education in the world won't guarantee you a functioning brain.

Your second comment on Ahbisit.

I think he is a great guy.

Seems you you are not sure what he is then?

Without your "support team" getting involved are you actually able to articulate a response that is consistent with your previous narrative?

It seems you have a similar confusion to Fat Haggis. His undying support of the DEM's, but in contrast his narrative is looked upon on the opposite end of the spectrum. 

I cant understand why everyone goes on about democracy in Thailand,where else in the world is a country run on democratic principals. It doesn't matter if you have the right to vote,elections change very little, those with real power operate behind the scenes and aren't voted in or out whether it be London,Washington, Paris, or Berlin. Wealth,market forces,and lots of high tech weapons with surveillance run the world. OK the right to vote makes one feel comfortable,as if ones opinion matters.

I cant understand why everyone goes on about democracy in Thailand,where else in the world is a country run on democratic principals. It doesn't matter if you have the right to vote,elections change very little, those with real power operate behind the scenes and aren't voted in or out whether it be London,Washington, Paris, or Berlin. Wealth,market forces,and lots of high tech weapons with surveillance run the world. OK the right to vote makes one feel comfortable,as if ones opinion matters.

You make some valid observations. However, I prefer to live under the veneer of democracy rather than that of laminated authoritarianism.

Democracy is hardly perfect. During my brief stay in this life, I try to do a bit of good and navigate it as best I can.