US police to investigate James Brady death as homicide

Lite Beer

US police to investigate James Brady death as homicide

The death of President Ronald Reagan's aide James Brady has been ruled a homicide, 33 years after he was wounded in an assassination attempt, police in Washington have said.

The former press secretary was shot in the 1981 attempt on Reagan's life by John Hinckley Jr.

He suffered brain damage and partial paralysis and died this week at 73.

Hinckley has been confined to a psychiatric hospital since he was found not guilty by reason of insanity.

"We can confirm that the autopsy has been ruled a homicide and the Metropolitan Police Department is investigating the case," spokesman Officer Hugh Carew told the BBC.

Read More: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-28715717

[bbc]2014-08-09[/bbc]

This is pretty sketchy on details.   I wonder who would want to kill a 73 year old invalid?

He was one of the few who managed to inspire some type of gun control.   I guess that happens when important people get shot -- and live to do something about it.

RIP

I wonder who would want to kill a 73 year old invalid?

Er.. I think the report means that his death came about as a result of being shot all those years ago - so his death was a homicide.

Or are you just being sarcastic?? :)

• Like 1

The point is that with a murder conviction Hinckley will die in jail from old age rather than getting out of the mental institution.  I believe HInckley has been let out of the institution at least one time for some sort of compassion release for a few days or was it longer or more often, regardless a murder rap puts him in the pokey virtually forever.

The average life expectancy for males in the US is 75.96 so Brady fell short by approximately 2 years.   He probably falls within the statistical range.   

His situation was tragic, but I don't think it warrants further legal action, IMO.   

So if he died one day after the shooting or 1 month or 33 years after, apparently the cause of his "health issues" was the shooting. Probably a bit of a legal stretch, but if the things were actually connected, it couldn't be termed "death by natural causes."

WASHINGTON—The death this week of former White House Press Secretary James Brady, who survived a gunshot wound to the head in a 1981 assassination attempt on President Ronald Reagan, has been ruled a homicide by a medical examiner, District of Columbia police said Friday.

John Hinckley Jr. shot Mr. Brady, who never regained normal use of his limbs and was often in a wheelchair. His family said he died Monday at age 73 from a series of health issues.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/death-of-reagan-aide-james-brady-ruled-a-homicide-1407536409?mod=_newsreel_3

Even if Hinckley is not charged with murder and tried ... with a homicide ruling it would seem possible the family could file a 'wrongful death' civil suit and get a huge never ending judgement that would cover any and all funds he could have or even inherit from his father or mother and any royalties that might one day be received from books, movies, etc.  If for nothing else just to cover all possible bases. 

The point is that with a murder conviction Hinckley will die in jail from old age rather than getting out of the mental institution.  I believe HInckley has been let out of the institution at least one time for some sort of compassion release for a few days or was it longer or more often, regardless a murder rap puts him in the pokey virtually forever.

If they couldn't send him to prison on an attempted murder charge, what makes you think they could send him to prison on a murder charge?

He was found not guilty by reason of insanity; I would imagine any lawyer worth his salt would argue that even if you could try him for murder, it would have to be under the conditions of the original trial. Is that even possible?

Big tin of worms if you ask me.

(Added: I am of the opinion that he is indeed batsh*t crazy).

Dear Jodie,

There is a definite possibility that I will be killed  in my attempt to get Reagan.  It is for this very reason that I am writing you this letter now. 
     As you well know by now I love you very much.  Over the past seven months I've left you dozens of poems, letters and love messages in the faint hope that you could develop an interest in me.  Although we talked on the phone a couple of times I never had the nerve to simply approach you and introduce myself.  Besides my shyness, I honestly did not wish to bother you with my constant presence.  I know the many messages left at your door and in your mailbox were a nuisance, but I felt that it was the most painless way for me to express my love for you. 
       I feel very good about the fact that you at least know my name and know how I feel about you.  And by hanging around your dormitory, I've come to realize that I'm the topic of more than a little conversation, however full of ridicule it may be.  At least you know that I'll always love you. 
      Jodie, I would abandon this idea of getting Reagan in a second if I could only win your heart and live out the rest of my life with you, whether it be in total obscurity or whatever. 
      I will admit to you that the reason I'm going ahead with this attempt now is because I just cannot wait any longer to impress you.  I've got to do something now to make you understand, in no uncertain terms, that I am doing all of this for your sake!  By sacrificing my freedom and possibly my life, I hope to change your mind about me.  This letter is being written only an hour before I leave for the Hilton Hotel.  Jodie, I'm asking you to please look into your heart and at least give me the chance, with this historical deed, to gain your respect and love.

I love you forever,

John Hinckley

Edited by Chicog