Expectations high that reforms under NCPO will end turbulence

Lite Beer

Expectations high that reforms under NCPO will end turbulence
Kris Bhromsuthi,
Kornchanok Raksaseri,
Pimnara Pradubwit
The Sunday Nation 

30240650-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Many Participants at yesterday's Road to Thailand Reform event agreed it was time to reform the country and are optimistic the efforts would finally end the political crisis.

They also expressed confidence in the leadership of the ruling National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO).

The audience, which numbered more than 1,000, included military officials, non-governmental organisation members, public servants, farmers and politicians. The event commenced at 10am at Army Club.

Piroch Jirakarnchanakij, of the Department of Local Administration, said: "The country's problems have been going on for too long. Therefore, it's about time to fix the problems.

"The meeting today was useful because it gave knowledge about the reform."

Naret Rewong, of the Mass Internal Security Operations Command, said he was optimistic the NCPO would lead the country out of the current turbulence.

"I am impressed with General Prayuth. He's decisive and direct," he said. "I particularly like his proposal to focus on raising the salary base for lower-rank public servants because if we raise salaries at all levels, it will cost too much."

Naret said he was impressed with the many things that had been done since the NCPO took over, including the introduction of new regulations governing public buses as part of the plan to relieve traffic congestion.

"The public bus issue was nothing new, but hasn't been effectively solved in the past but NCPO was decisive in tackling the problem," he said.

Public buses were seen as a factor causing traffic jams because many drivers parked on the road.

Naret said the NCPO's presence in communities had reduced crime because criminals were intimidated by the military

When Prayuth mentioned some key issues that needed to be addressed, he received a warm response from the audience.

Amongst the audience were representatives of rival political factions.

Veerakan Musigapong, a former red-shirt chairman, stressed there was a need for judicial reform as a response to the public accusing it of double standards.

He also said that the future red-shirt movement would depend on how the country's executive branch behaved and future circumstances.

When asked whether he voluntarily came to the meeting, he said "No".

Satit Pitutacha, deputy leader of the Democrat Party, said the party was willing to cooperate with the NCPO and understood the junta's goodwill.

However, Satit said there remained many issues that needed to be clearly addressed such as defamation of the monarchy, respect of the law and the discrediting of the judiciary. The public also needed to be educated about true democracy.

Gumpanart Permsuk, leader of the little-known Thai Independent Party, wanted to see more politicians at the event.

He also said he wanted to see more politicians participate in the National Reform Council.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Expectations-high-that-reforms-under-NCPO-will-end-30240650.html

[thenation]2014-08-10[/thenation]

"When asked whether he voluntarily came to the meeting, he said "No". "

Good start. New order in action towards reforms, you WILL attend?

"The public also needed to be educated about true democracy."

And this was from the deputy leader of the Democrat Party. Edited by Thailand
  • Like 1

cheesy.gif

this country look more and more like north korea.

But sometimes, i really do wonder, if these people are really dumb to say thing like that, or they really mean it?

What is wrong with this?

500 Baht for one vote is surely not true democracy

• Like 2

And this was from the deputy leader of the Democrat Party.

If the public truly understood and followed democratic principles, we probably wouldn't be in this mess right now.  But that can be said for many countries around the world also.

Spot on craigt, my post a few minutes ago maps out what was the case in Thai family history.

• Like 1

It is atime for optimism, lets see where it goes. Generral Prayuth seems a caring and sympathic man to me who is trying to the best for the country and he needs to time to make things change for the better. He is keeping a tight hold of the council for now so it moves forward and not revert to former ways.

What sort of democracy Thailand ends up with only time will tell, it may not be a western one, it may be a version that is more suited to Thailand, I dont have a problem with that.

I dont have problem with former politicians re-emerging either but they must understands that things will different in the future, the corruption that is so deeply rooted into the culture needs to be weeded out, politicians need to be whiter than white or they get evicted with heavy penalties and banned from politics for ever.  Heavy punishment for law breakers in public life is very much needed, respect for and upholding the law for everyone else is also required, I think a good couple of words for it would be strong discipline for the country. Prayuth is right more order is required in normal life of Thais.

A much needed post,  good stuff.  But you will get some stick for the truth you print. thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

It really doesn't matter what measures you introduce, where their is a will there is a way, the only light at the end of the tunnel is that any corruption will be identified more quicker than usual, however,  come free election time what will be the requirement for candidates, will I see the same characters lining up, unless Thailand alters the way candidates are selected an overhaul of who can nominate , it's business as usualcoffee1.gif

Indeed!!!

Election shlection! That is not the Thai way.

Any  country  may have thousands of laws in the books and if they are not enforced, they are useless.

Thailand has only been consistent about one aspect of the laws: strict regulations when it comes to foreigners.

2 of the most egregious examples in Thai politics:

1- In 1995, Suthep’s Sor Por Kor 4-01 land scheme scandal led to the downfall of the Democrat-led Chuan Leekpai government.
As a Miniser of Agriculture he resigned to avoid being indicted.... Later on, after the "new  government" was in power in  2006 came the rubber shenanigans during the Abhisit Vejjajiva-led government... and the Palm Oil Scheme.

Were the 11 rich families favored by Suthep with land scheduled  for poor farmers ever stripped of the fake and illegally  obtained titles?

2- A former Permanent Under secretary in the past administration who had  hundreds of millions  of Baht in  a closet in his home ever prosecuted and sentenced to a lengthy prison term for corruption? Whose heads rolled as a result of the rubber and palm oil scams?

Adding to the long list of the way a feudal state acts is the case of the Red Bull heir who is still enjoying freedom after reckless driving under the influence and killing a police officer. Why still free?

Because, according to Thai "tradition" if the perpetrator of a crime pays to the family of the victim, charges are not pressed. Then, the law stands still and is not applied to the criminal.

Selective Democracy and judicial actions are the norm in 21 century Thailand...

Reform? Same, same, no difference.

Edited by pisico

Colonel Weerachon Sukhondha-patipak, spokesman for the ruling military junta, delivered the message: "We are not destroying democracy. We are strengthening democracy". The Nation 2014-06-13.

Indeed the public does need to understand what true democracy is but a lesson delivered by the military coup-led government may be somewhat imperfect and short-sighted. I fear the Junta itself may not know what a true democracy is as it has never truly existed in Thailand. And democratic politics is hardly the nature of command in the military structure.

I offer two short lessons as a beginning to understand "true" democracy:

1) A truly democtratic system of governance does not require regime change through military coups and preserves the rights of the People. Yet throughout the history of Thailand since 1933, the Thai military operates with impunity to decide when and how there will be regime change and who will be part of that regime.

2) Democracy is the governance by the People through common representation. This is often characterized by majority and minority political elements, conflict, and coalition building. It is appears that the Junta wants to create through a selected elite class a new political structure that is a one-party system whose power is granted and supervised by military a regime commanding dictatoral authority through its own-created constitution and laws. If this is democracy, then North Korea has to be seen as the most democractic nation on earth having such a system of governance.

I suggest that if the Junta really wants to educate the Thai People about democracy without bias and with true academic interest that it allow participation by (a) the UN and the EU, (b) recognized democractic nations such as Indoneasia, India, UK, Germany, and the US, and (c) NGO educational foundations such as the Network of Democracy Research Institutes and the British Research Programme on Strengthening Democratic Governance in Conflict-Torn Societies. A comprehensive primer might be the "Democractic Insitutions and Politics In Context of Inequality, Poverty, and Conflict," a workpaper published by the Institute of Development Studies - see attached file. 

• Like 2

Not to mention his complaint about the "discrediting of the judiciary", poignant with respect to the dems narrow escape from dissolution in 2010, but particularly poignant in light of the recent decision to dismiss four senior judges for "gross disciplinary violations"..................................

Veerakan Musigapong stated "When asked whether he voluntarily came to the meeting, he said "No". Hang on, this guy is a red shirt right? I am surprised he didn't say he was tortured at the meeting!

"The public also needed to be educated about true democracy" is at the essence of all of this. The carrot needs to be removed that have lead the poor on a well worn desperate path to riches they never seem to get and in fact their wealth is inversely proportion to the wealth of the very people from the regime over the last 10 years that purported to help them. 

​Education is the key to true democracy. A democracy where the carrot makes you see and not blinds you to the atrocities committed under a regime. The people are waking up and in slow measured steps the fanatical 7% red shirt minority that are synonymous with terrorism, violence and intimidation will be a bad evil memory. 

I look forward to reform taking root and the bitter and twisted falling back into the shadows were they belong. 

• Like 1

Not to mention his complaint about the "discrediting of the judiciary", poignant with respect to the dems narrow escape from dissolution in 2010, but particularly poignant in light of the recent decision to dismiss four senior judges for "gross disciplinary violations"..................................

Your absolutely right, my dear fabs. Let's not mention the 'too small election poster case where the Democrat party had the affront to ask for VAT clearly included receipts'.

Let's stick to the remark of k. Veera. Did the UDD leadership really force him to attend the event ?

I'm happy for Thailand that the TVF foreigners are not part of the reform and reconciliation process. It will be difficult enough without the fools here (present company and myself included)

• Like 2

Other people think differently: As the economy stumbles, the junta has an image problem - The Economist Aug 9th 2014

After the coup;

1.The SET had gained 3.6 percent since the military seized power and in fact going by this graph the SET is climbing like a rock climber on yaba! 

2.Under the PTP and the daily terrorist attacks proven to be orchestrated by the red shirts the economy contracted by 2.1 percent. The banks forecast a 5.5% growth under the Junta. 

3.The Thai consumer confidence data dropped month after month during the daily terrorist attacks orchestrated by the red shirts and when the Junta took power it climbed month after month. 

4.When you look at the Coincident and Leading Economic Indices, Private Consumption Index, Private Investment Index, Manufacturing Production Index, Capacity Utilization, Housing Price Index, Effective Exchange Rate and Business Sentiment Index here it doesn't really follow the carefully prepared agenda driven "Economy has taken a dive" narrative? In fact these indices indicate a strong robust re bounce after the daily terrorist attacks led by the red shirts. 

5.The Thai baht seems to think the coup was a stabilizing and positive end to a deadly stalemate as well as is shown here. 

• Like 1

Colonel Weerachon Sukhondha-patipak, spokesman for the ruling military junta, delivered the message: "We are not destroying democracy. We are strengthening democracy". The Nation 2014-06-13.

Indeed the public does need to understand what true democracy is but a lesson delivered by the military coup-led government may be somewhat imperfect and short-sighted. I fear the Junta itself may not know what a true democracy is as it has never truly existed in Thailand. And democratic politics is hardly the nature of command in the military structure.

I offer two short lessons as a beginning to understand "true" democracy:

1) A truly democtratic system of governance does not require regime change through military coups and preserves the rights of the People. Yet throughout the history of Thailand since 1933, the Thai military operates with impunity to decide when and how there will be regime change and who will be part of that regime.

2) Democracy is the governance by the People through common representation. This is often characterized by majority and minority political elements, conflict, and coalition building. It is appears that the Junta wants to create through a selected elite class a new political structure that is a one-party system whose power is granted and supervised by military a regime commanding dictatoral authority through its own-created constitution and laws. If this is democracy, then North Korea has to be seen as the most democractic nation on earth having such a system of governance.

I suggest that if the Junta really wants to educate the Thai People about democracy without bias and with true academic interest that it allow participation by (a) the UN and the EU, (cool.png recognized democractic nations such as Indoneasia, India, UK, Germany, and the US, and (c) NGO educational foundations such as the Network of Democracy Research Institutes and the British Research Programme on Strengthening Democratic Governance in Conflict-Torn Societies. A comprehensive primer might be the "Democractic Insitutions and Politics In Context of Inequality, Poverty, and Conflict," a workpaper published by the Institute of Development Studies - see attached file. 

India - the world's largest democracy - and one of the few that could teach Thailand a thing or two about corruption! Some parallels - criminal MPs, dynastic political families at national and state level, high levels of inept and corrupt civil service bureaucracy, justice based on class, wealth and family membership, highly variable education system and one of the most inefficient and corrupt police services in the world. Some shared learning there then,

The UN usually makes a complete balls up where ever it goes.

Thailand has issues for sure, social, cultural, political and changing them is going to be a massive undertaking. But, copying others won't work. Thailand has to work the issues through themselves.

• Like 1

cheesy.gif

this country look more and more like north korea.

But sometimes, i really do wonder, if these people are really dumb to say thing like that, or they really mean it?

Talk about hyperbole. Thailand is very very long far from being like N. Korea ... and even Saudi Arabia and Egypt. 

It really doesn't matter what measures you introduce, where their is a will there is a way, the only light at the end of the tunnel is that any corruption will be identified more quicker than usual, however,  come free election time what will be the requirement for candidates, will I see the same characters lining up, unless Thailand alters the way candidates are selected an overhaul of who can nominate , it's business as usualcoffee1.gif

Maybe I'm a naive dreamer but here's what I'd like to see: Thailand returns to a semi-democracy ... i.e., free elections and a representative parliament, but the police and overall law enforcement is controlled by the military that assures an honest government, civil servants and police, and comes down hard on corruption and the corrupters. 

• Like 1

No, this was from you cherry picking.

It was the Red Shirt leader who was asked if he voluntarily came to the meeting.

Changes the whole perspective.

just papering over the cracks as usual .the gulf between rich and poor gets worse

It's a major concern in the Western World, but what happens there has no relation to the topic here.

With the topic here haivng k. Veera saying

"When asked whether he voluntarily came to the meeting, he said "No"."

and at the same time KhaoSod

""Now that he has seized power and assumed the role as the leader of [the junta], he should take the position of Prime Minister for himself too," said Virakarn Musikapong, a leader of the Redshirts' umbrella organization the United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD).

... ...

"I want all the disputes to end. Can you do that, brother Veera?" Gen. Prayuth said to Mr. Veerakan, using his former name.

Mr. Veerakan smiled and nodded his head."

http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1407656059&section=11&typecate=06