Glass for a sky light

Maroon Watcher

It's a flat concrete roof that will form part of a smaller 2nd floor building -

meaning the 1.2 m X 2m skylight would form part of the roof terrace on the next floor

Visitors could stand right next to it - hence the saftey aspect.

I have thought of building a small fence around it But that would probably/should be 1m high.

Perhaps balustrades..

I would prefer just to have glass perhaps in the shape of an angled, all glass  "cold frame" (4 small sides and a top, with a vent)
- again, if this was flat and strong enough to walk on,

it would be too expensive?

The whole idea is to see the stars from our sofa, and increased light in the day

I think you misunderstood about the metal. They are talking about a holding frame, and not a plate. Similar to a window frame.

What kind of roof cover are you using and what is the size of the opening?

For safety you should use at least 1": tempered glass.  There was a recent thread in the pet forum where someone built a giant fish tank using it.  You should search the forum and PM him.

• Like 1

There should be a raised concrete curb of at least 20cm height all round the roof opening to sit your skylight. The concrete roof waterproof system should be turned up to cover the face of this curb.

The shape and profile of the skylight can be discussed with the contractor. Given the small opening size, a window contractor can handle the job.