Virus In Korat

dereklev

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Diddlysquat

Thanks and yes he didnt speak to her about that at all, it was something referring to mosqitos and ill try to write it here later in thailish of course.

kailuetchoch or something similar, isnt easy to write when you almost cannot prononce it.

The kids are ok and coffin abit running noses, same as all kids down the road.

Today shopping at surin tesco, bigc and makro i feel sorry for my self and my creditcards.

Cheers

Pnusted can you keep me posted when you hear more around Srisaket

The deaths were around Prang Khu 2/3 weeks ago. Since then there has been a heightened awareness in the villages from health workers. The only potentially related death I am aware of since is of an old lady who appeared to have been suffering from a fever.

I am currently visiting Sisaket Hospital every day and will keep my ears open.

Diddlysquat

Thanks and yes he didnt speak to her about that at all, it was something referring to mosqitos and ill try to write it here later in thailish of course.

kailuetchoch or something similar, isnt easy to write when you almost cannot prononce it.

The kids are ok and coffin abit running noses, same as all kids down the road.

Today shopping at surin tesco, bigc and makro i feel sorry for my self and my creditcards.

Cheers

Glad to hear the kids are ok goofy.

Maybe he was warning her of Dengue Fever which is always a problem in the rainy season and supposedly the mosquitoes are more active this year.

I know what you mean about feeling sorry for yourself and your credit cards! :D !

Please don't take this in the wrong way as I know English is not your native language...

It is coughing that your kids are doing.

Coffin is what people are buried in.... :o:D

It all suggested that you know as much as your login name suggests!!

If a paediatrician I trust and respect confirms there is a virral outbreak and they are treating it as an Enterovirus then that is good enough for me.

I could not care less whether you believe what I say or not.

Dereklev,

You are correct. I do know diddlyquat about this matter. So help me.

Did your sons Doctor say there had been a number of deaths from an unknkonown virus in Korat city hospitals.

If YES, can you give his name and location so I can speak to the school my relatives attend so if they don't believe me I can refer them to the doctor?

Put yourself in my shoes. Do I go to a school privincipal and say a farang on a web forum says his pediatrician says such and such and I want you to act now. I wonder what reaction I would get.

The deaths were around Prang Khu 2/3 weeks ago. Since then there has been a heightened awareness in the villages from health workers. The only potentially related death I am aware of since is of an old lady who appeared to have been suffering from a fever.

This is what puzzles me. There have been a high number of deaths from Dengue this season and it is public knowledge. Potentially heads could roll because the government has committed the health ministry and local officials to start programmes to control it (a massive programme to which I doubt sufficient resources have been allocated by central govt). You could understand if there was a cover up.

If there have been a cluster of deaths from an unknown virus,where no-one is going to be blamed, why restrict the knowledge to one or two farangs.

This is what puzzles me. There have been a high number of deaths from Dengue this season and it is public knowledge. Potentially heads could roll because the government has committed the health ministry and local officials to start programmes to control it (a massive programme to which I doubt sufficient resources have been allocated by central govt). You could understand if there was a cover up.

If there have been a cluster of deaths from an unknown virus,where no-one is going to be blamed, why restrict the knowledge to one or two farangs.

Its not one or two farangs, quite a few of us have heard the same information from separated sources. I was talking to a group of Thais last night, all of whom are shop owners around the Yamo site. They too had heard about it and one who has a young child was advice not to take her child to nursery.

This information was posted here part to warn parents who had young children and part to see if others had received similar information. It was not posted to impress people or to scare them.

Edited by mpdkorat

If a paediatrician I trust and respect confirms there is a virral outbreak and they are treating it as an Enterovirus then that is good enough for me.

Dereklev,

Did your sons Doctor say there had been a number of deaths from an unknkonown virus in Korat city hospitals.

If YES, can you give his name and location so I can speak to the school my relatives attend so if they don't believe me I can refer them to the doctor?

Put yourself in my shoes. Do I go to a school privincipal and say a farang on a web forum says his pediatrician says such and such and I want you to act now. I wonder what reaction I would get.

Diddlysquat,

I have thought long and hard about your post.....

I am sorry but the Doctor spoke to me in confidence and to give out a name would be betrayal of confidence, something I am not willing to do. They are, IMHO, the best paediatrician in Korat and it is in my son's best interest to be cared for by this Doctor.

As mpdkorat has posted this information has come from many sources and is fast becoming common knowledge with Thais as well.

I have been told I am hysterical, irresponsible and that I am posting to raise a scare...all complete cr*p!!

I am just a concerned father who wants to do the best for my 18 month old son!!

Its not one or two farangs, quite a few of us have heard the same information from separated sources. I was talking to a group of Thais last night, all of whom are shop owners around the Yamo site. They too had heard about it and one who has a young child was advice not to take her child to nursery.

This information was posted here part to warn parents who had young children and part to see if others had received similar information. It was not posted to impress people or to scare them.

Well it looks like the one or two farangs were right after all, and spot on as well. Just look at todays Thai Raith newpaper headlines.

Lets look if you are just as quick to say sorry??

Well it looks like the one or two farangs were right after all, and spot on as well. Just look at todays Thai Raith newpaper headlines.

Lets look if you are just as quick to say sorry??

Translation anyone ?

Diddlysquat

Aha dengue fever had a friend whos mother got it in Koh Lanta 4+5 yrs ago wasnt nice at all she survived but is all beyond contact.

Sorry for the coffin ill save it for a rainy day :D

Shopping was nice and the new Big C was ok, Makro has aswell fixed up their shop.

I think ill go down to Bamboo Bar and slip down some nice beer.

:o

To-morrowI will visit Ratchasima Thonburi hospital and will ask my doctor about it.

Hope I will not forget.

mpdkorat:(Isaac),have to admit I thought the same

Derk:don't bother what others are saying.You are the first to be resposible for your kid.

Dear All,

I am the admin of the small and insignificant forum based in KORAT referred to earlier by DiddlySquat, I guess that makes me the ‘local sad FARANG’ Diddly? ;-) You attack our members for defending Korat but you yourself attack members here for publicising what they know about a very serious topic. Maybe you don’t have children or maybe you are a super-cool-headed parent, but for myself – I think like a significant proportion of parents - I am quite happy to be ridiculed and find out later I am wrong, but for now until *proved* wrong I choose to exercise judgment, seek information, and tell what I know to other concerned parents.

Some facts.

1. Several independent professional health workers have separately confirmed a virus has killed a number of children in the Korat Area.

2. Separate sources have mentioned Enterovirus type 71.

3. Some sources have implied medical professionals are trying to restrict information to avoid a panic.

4. The virus was first referred to in the local Thai newspaper today, a *week* after it was first discussed on our local sad farang DOT COM.

Commentary.

Contrary to what has been posted earlier in this thread, self-treatment for a serious virus is impossible. Actually ANY treatment for ANY virus is a bit of a waste of time. Wanna know how many viruses in the world mankind actually has a cure for? None. Nada. Zip. If you get a killer virus, there is not much you can do about it except pray and hope your intrinsic body systems can muster a defence. Drugs etc can help delay onset of symptoms sometimes and maybe help support your immune system, but they CANNOT cure a virus. This is why children and the old-age succumb most to outbreaks of influenza for example. (I note the earlier poster who said flu is not killer has been rightly corrected.)

Now, logically, for ANY virus outbreak (or similar), there will be a period of disbelief, incredulity, and lack-of-knowledge, until more facts are available to the general public. Those early hysterical sky-is-falling mongers will I’m sure, like me, be happy to be proved wrong, but if we are right at least we did our bit to let people know and to protect our children. For example, many intelligent observers (including some I know personally) put two-and-two together and stopped eating burgers and certain meats long before the UK government went public about ‘mad cow’ disease (and the link to human CJD) and took drastic industry steps to clean up the food chain.

On the same theme, I would heartily advise any intelligent reader to DO THEIR OWN RESEARCH on the subject rather than blindly accepting what has been posted on this thread. I won’t post the links because the admin on ThaiVisa may delete my entire post as advertising, but on the other board there are references that in the 1998 outbreak of Enterovirus type 71 in Taiwan:

“The severe cases of EV71 infection peaked in early June as well: 405 severe cases were reported with 78 deaths. Ninety one percent of patients with fatal cases were <5 years old . Most of these patients died of fulminant infection within 1 or 2 days of hospitalization.”

You can make up your own mind whether this statistic supports an earlier post that: “Enterovirus 71 …is rarely fatal even in children”, and whether you (if a parent) feel inclined to tell your kids not to share drinks or food at school.

That’s it. I still can’t believe the petty mud-slinging on this thread when people who are rightly concerned are just trying to let others know. Now that really IS sad.

Cheers

Sportrider

PS. Diddly thanks for helping keep the other board self-regulating. ;-) sr.

Edited by SportRider

To whom that have posted information in regards to a virus in Korat that is life threating particular in children. I want to thank you for posting the information. I know that every rainy season you have the standard worries, and like most things that come regular they become just that "oh yeh it comes around every year, and the my-bu lye attitude prevails again. "

See I am working out of country right now and my family to include my 2 young children are at home. Allthough my wife is a spetacular mother/ wife sometimes the care free and jai yen yen side dominates! So since it is raining day in and day out and the little farts love to be out in the giant sprinkler they have came down with a touch of fever and the runny fountain that is located above their pie holes and just below their eyeballs is producing that great fluid so often refered to as "snott" . Now I talked to the misses a couple of days ago and little fart number one is "my sabai" got the above symptoms so comes the normal statement "luke gin lao....... yaa- hawn .....Maa hi YAA hawm lao"

Day two :luke my sabai HAWN and of course "Maa hi YAA hawm lao" and since i have read this thread my instructions to the spetacular mother/wife put little fart number one the kwai, caribou. motorcycle tuk tuk what ever means of transport you choose i can care less but ...Transport little fart number one to the DOCTOR!

Come to find out all was ok and little fart number one has slowed down the snott production and is not HAWN at this time. I have at times been known to ramble on and on inthe attempt to make a point which i think i have done again. So to get to that point even though nothing seriously was wrong with my little farts with out reading this thread i would have never known anything was going on back home. So thanks to this thread If there was something really wrong with the little farts i had taken the precaution to have them checked out by a Doctor which i more in likely would have not done so do to this is that time of year like every year before comes the effects of the little farts playing in the giant sprinkler!

Dereklev,

Diddlysquat,

I am sorry but the Doctor spoke to me in confidence and to give out a name would be betrayal of confidence, something I am not willing to do. They are, IMHO, the best paediatrician in Korat and it is in my son's best interest to be cared for by this Doctor.

As mpdkorat has posted this information has come from many sources and is fast becoming common knowledge with Thais as well.

I have been told I am hysterical, irresponsible and that I am posting to raise a scare...all complete cr*p!!

Derelev

Do not let these people get you down. I respect you to the max for being a concern parent as well you should be. What better concern can we have but for the concern for our children, I pray that these cases do not spread but parental concern is not hysterical. I am confident that wih caring parents such as your self that your son is at a mininmal risk. Children of school age as my granddaughter is give me more to concern. But as they grow they also gain the immunity and abilities to ward off these childhood illiness. As parents and grandparents we must be diligent in our quest to provide the most healthy and happy enviroment for our most precious resource our young ones.

God bless you and your family

Thai Ranger

What an objectionable person Thai Ranger is.

I suggest that before he says anthing else he asks himself three questions. Is it kind, is it necessary and is it true? Otherwise don't say it.

I do not need to rise to his insults but rest assured the comments I have given on this thread are backed up by qualification and 25 years experience.

KC

What are those "qualifications and 25 years experience" in bullsh*t or just I am a know it all. Or maybe Please read my posts I am so lonely. Opinions are like asses everybody has one . Is there anything that you are not qualfied in? This is not kind, it is necessary and it is true :D

And I can give a sh*t if you have a nice day! :o

Thai Ranger

Dereklev,

Diddlysquat,

Derelev

Do not let these people get you down. I respect you to the max for being a concern parent as well you should be. What better concern can we have but for the concern for our children, I pray that these cases do not spread but parental concern is not hysterical. I am confident that wih caring parents such as your self that your son is at a mininmal risk. Children of school age as my granddaughter is give me more to concern. But as they grow they also gain the immunity and abilities to ward off these childhood illiness. As parents and grandparents we must be diligent in our quest to provide the most healthy and happy enviroment for our most precious resource our young ones.

God bless you and your family

Thai Ranger

Thanks Thai Ranger.... :o

Your comments bought tears to my eyes! :D

At least now the Thai press have reported on this, I feel some confidence that the Thai Health Authorities will take the necessary actions to stop this outbreak.

Indeed our childen are our most precious resource..... :D

Folks, yesterdays newspaper confirms 5 children dead, 2 in Sikhiu and 3 from other Korat areas. The article mentions Enterovirus. The article suggests to take care if your children are under 5 - no food from the street, don't share food or drink. If symptoms are such as high temperature, continually sick, stomache ache and not eating/drinking then get medical attention immediately. The virus can kill within 2 days.

If you or someone you know can read Thai, the article is here: http://koratfarangdotcom.googlepages.com/virus.pdf

sr

Folks, yesterdays newspaper confirms 5 children dead, 2 in Sikhiu and 3 from other Korat areas. The article mentions Enterovirus. The article suggests to take care if your children are under 5 - no food from the street, don't share food or drink. If symptoms are such as high temperature, continually sick, stomache ache and not eating/drinking then get medical attention immediately. The virus can kill within 2 days.

If you or someone you know can read Thai, the article is here: http://koratfarangdotcom.googlepages.com/virus.pdf

sr

I would hope immediate medical attention be sought for a child suffering the above symptons whether or not a health warning was issued.

In responce to a previous post which quotes deaths from an outbreak of EV71. This refers to deaths amongst serious cases not all cases.

I have carefully considered whether I owe Dereklev an apology. I was wrong and am sorry for that. Not for myself but for the fact children have died. Let us hope there are no more deaths.

I too was concerned. I, like most ex-pats with Thai wives, have a large extended family although fortunately none under 5. I had initially taken the story, posted in another forum, at face value and asked around my Thai relatives in the area who themselves asked around. But they all dismissed the story.

I myself was very very sceptical and, yes, dismissive, assuming the rumour mill was at work.

I asked for the name of a single health professional who could possibly be persuaded to come public. But Dereklev considered he had a duty of confidentiality to his doctor. I understand and respect his reasons. But I do not agree with him where children lives are at risk. Therefore I am unable to offer an apology.

Maybe it was a farang who tipped off the newspaper.

I understand the references to Isaac now. I cancelled my membership of the other place, he/she hasn't. I left because after reading through the threads I decided it was too parochial a forum, intolerant of criticism of Korat (I have no criticisms of Korat, other than it is a dull place -and I doubt few on Thaivisa would disagree), intolerant of lively debate but tolerant of rudeness.

It was through that forum I learnt of this place and Stickmanbangkok (read his writings on Korat and its' expats - he says he has received a lot of abusive e-mails from Korat which validates his writings). So thank you koratfarangdotcom.

My disdain for the other forum is verging on contempt. Consider the snide attitute taken by members of that other place to KoratConnect comments in this thread. He is trying to be helpful. Consider the nasty, concerted vindictive campaign against him in the Korat forum and consider who really deserves an apology.

Edited by diddlysquat

@ 4.41 pm Thai Time, I just had a phone call from my Mrs from who lives in Korat (not town) and she has stated that today they have 5 children in a COMA state in hospitals due to this virus.

Thairaith newspaper carried the news, but she has also phoned Phor Phet hospital that confirmed that they (doctors) are very concerned and they gave the advice to keep children away from crowded areas and make sure no one shares food or drink with our daughter.

Lets hope this virus dissapears as fast as it came.

Edited by Cheeky Farang

Diddly: 'parochial'? Duh.. that's the whole point!

When you have shared a beer or a BBQ with the contributors, you don't need to ask for proof what their doctors said about such a serious subject.

I disagree with the implication that Derek put children's lives at risk. You chose not to take him at his word.

SR

Edited by SportRider

sr

I would hope immediate medical attention be sought for a child suffering the above symptons whether or not a health warning was issued.

In responce to a previous post which quotes deaths from an outbreak of EV71. This refers to deaths amongst serious cases not all cases.

I have carefully considered whether I owe Dereklev an apology. I was wrong and am sorry for that. Not for myself but for the fact children have died. Let us hope there are no more deaths.

I too was concerned. I, like most ex-pats with Thai wives, have a large extended family although fortunately none under 5. I had initially taken the story, posted in another forum, at face value and asked around my Thai relatives in the area who themselves asked around. But they all dismissed the story.

I myself was very very sceptical and, yes, dismissive, assuming the rumour mill was at work.

I asked for the name of a single health professional who could possibly be persuaded to come public. But Dereklev considered he had a duty of confidentiality to his doctor. I understand and respect his reasons. But I do not agree with him where children lives are at risk. Therefore I am unable to offer an apology.

I understand the references to Isaac now. I cancelled my membership of the other place, he/she hasn't. I left because after reading through the threads I decided it was too parochial a forum, intolerant of criticism of Korat (I have no criticisms of Korat, other than it is a dull place -and I doubt few on Thaivisa would disagree), intolerant of lively debate but tolerant of rudeness.

It was through that forum I learnt of this place and Stickmanbangkok (read his writings on Korat and its' expats - he says he has received a lot of abusive e-mails from Korat which validates his writings). So thank you koratfarangdotcom.

My disdain for the other forum is verging on contempt. Consider the snide attitute taken by members of that other place to KoratConnect comments in this thread. He is trying to be helpful. Consider the nasty, concerted vindictive campaign against him in the Korat forum and consider who really deserves an apology.

I do not need or want an apology from you.

No children died because I would not breach a confidence on a public forum, and for you to suggest so was completely out of order.

You wanted the Drs name so you could go to the headmaster at the school your nieces(?) attend and ask him to take precautions against the virus spreading at the school. I hope you still intend to do this now you can quote the source as the Thai Rak newspaper. Perhaps you will post the outcome of your conversation here.

You dismissed everything said by myself and others in this thread based on what?? On the fact that your wives relatives dismissed it? Thais seem to dismiss everything they don't know about or don't understand, great grounds for some of the caustic comments you made!

I would not take everything Stickman writes as gospel, he is way past his sell by date.

Not sure where on the other forum there is a nasty, concerted, vindictive campaign against Korat Correct, perhaps you would let me know where I should be looking.

He is a nice man who I enjoy having a beer with. He knows that I do not agree with many of his views but what a dull life we would lead if we always deferred to anothers views.

I have no idea who tipped off the newspaper but if it was a farang so what??

Hope you continue to enjoy your life in boring Korat.... :o

sr

Where you bullied at school? If you were I would take care. Thai visa is a much bigger to school than the Korat one, with a lot more bullies. (I'm expecting a long answer)

Buriram

My oldest son almost 4 yrs, has gotten sick coffin and having slime in his troath and very hot skin, but when checking temperature he is normal 37,5 celsius.

In the morning we went to our doctor whom also delivered my son, and checked him out,

4 different bottles paracetamol, Chlorpheniamine maleate, Brompheniramine maleate, and RANCIL Amoxicillin.

He told my wife that he knew about the situation in Korat and for us to look for any stiffness or bleeding from nose etc that might occurand if so go straight to the hospital.

The thing is that my wife didnt tell me about it, i confronted her with the info from thaivisa and she sad, yes the doctor told me in the morning about it.

Idont belive that my son is that very ill but you never know so all the info i get the more i know how to respond correct.

I think there will be som topsalopsalay when she gets back later, it so typical to only say what se prefer to say as it might be difficult to explain whats it all about.

Ill get back later on the issue of his wellbeing and the shitty explanation my wife will tell about not telling the hole story.

Tjipp

Goofy,

Rest easy. You doctor obviously has diagnosed your son as suffering a bacterial infection, hence prescribing Amoxicillin.

Nose bleeding is NOT a sympton of Enterovirus 71 which is rarely fatal even in children.

Those others spouting virus 71 have not the first idea what it is. Makes them sound impressive though.

Take it easy on your wife. The Doctor could not have informed her of the alleged outbreak in Korat unless he reads a local sad farangs forum. More likely your wife will not allow you to believe you know something she doesn't. A cultural thing.

So far there is NO CONFIRMATION of an outbreak of a viral epedemic in Korat. Just members of another forum trying to outdo each other with each claiming they have unnamed sources who strangely choose to confide in farangs but not local schools. A cover up my arse!!!. Not as though it could affect the tourist industry.

There is nothing on the ministry website, the British Consul knows nothing. Local Thais know nothing, schools no nothing. Only ex-pats. You are witnessing an outbreak of mass hysteria amongst the farang community, and like most viral infections there is no cure.

Any comment on the above, &lt;deleted&gt;!

Buriram

My oldest son almost 4 yrs, has gotten sick coffin and having slime in his troath and very hot skin, but when checking temperature he is normal 37,5 celsius.

In the morning we went to our doctor whom also delivered my son, and checked him out,

4 different bottles paracetamol, Chlorpheniamine maleate, Brompheniramine maleate, and RANCIL Amoxicillin.

He told my wife that he knew about the situation in Korat and for us to look for any stiffness or bleeding from nose etc that might occurand if so go straight to the hospital.

The thing is that my wife didnt tell me about it, i confronted her with the info from thaivisa and she sad, yes the doctor told me in the morning about it.

Idont belive that my son is that very ill but you never know so all the info i get the more i know how to respond correct.

I think there will be som topsalopsalay when she gets back later, it so typical to only say what se prefer to say as it might be difficult to explain whats it all about.

Ill get back later on the issue of his wellbeing and the shitty explanation my wife will tell about not telling the hole story.

Tjipp

Goofy,

Rest easy. You doctor obviously has diagnosed your son as suffering a bacterial infection, hence prescribing Amoxicillin.

Nose bleeding is NOT a sympton of Enterovirus 71 which is rarely fatal even in children.

Those others spouting virus 71 have not the first idea what it is. Makes them sound impressive though.

Take it easy on your wife. The Doctor could not have informed her of the alleged outbreak in Korat unless he reads a local sad farangs forum. More likely your wife will not allow you to believe you know something she doesn't. A cultural thing.

So far there is NO CONFIRMATION of an outbreak of a viral epedemic in Korat. Just members of another forum trying to outdo each other with each claiming they have unnamed sources who strangely choose to confide in farangs but not local schools. A cover up my arse!!!. Not as though it could affect the tourist industry.

There is nothing on the ministry website, the British Consul knows nothing. Local Thais know nothing, schools no nothing. Only ex-pats. You are witnessing an outbreak of mass hysteria amongst the farang community, and like most viral infections there is no cure.

Any comment on the above, &lt;deleted&gt;!

:o:D

Come on mpd say what you mean and stop sitting on the fence....... :D