Today, Kasikorn Bank copied my visa

Fourteen months ago, I opened an account with Kasikorn Bank, Pattaya Second Road branch (K-Pat).

These days I live in Bangsaen and I do my bank transactions at Kasikorn, Bangsaen (K-Bang).

K-Bang has asked to see my passport only once.

About 2 months ago, I changed my ATM card from the rip-off B800 per year card that K-Pat signed me up for, to a regular ATM which costs B150 per year. I did the change at K-Bang. They asked for my passport, took a copy of the main, I.D. page, asked me to sign it and then attached it to the ATM card application form.

I have subsequently changed my mobile phone number (the old number is actually still active) and so I needed to update my bank personal details to be able to receive text messages from Kasikorn Bank for internet transactions.

K-Bang told me that Kasikorn Bank's system is such that I need to go to K-Pat to change my phone number, which I did today.

The clerk at K-Pat copied both the main, I.D. page of my passport and the page containing my visa (for the forum pedants; my extension of stay based on retirement) and asked me to sign both.

I asked the clerk why he had copied my visa page. He said that he had copied the main page of my passport to prove my I.D. and he copied the visa page to prove that my visa hasn't expired. He then voluntarily added that the bank is required to notify Immigration Police if they come across any expired visas.

And that's all I know.

• Like 1

Over the years doing certain transactions at Bangkok Bank branches, copying of the passport main page, and sometimes the page containing the current visa/extension of stay, has been common. The branches have "always" required my passport to do a withdrawal.

Correct. Banks will check visa expiry. I have Permanent Residence so no longer have a visa as such. I am amused when the bank copies my passport details and find no visa at all and ask why. "Don't want one !" Then I get serious and show them my P.R. book. Even then it seems they have not really fully understood.

• Like 1

Talking on subject here

I think if you have Tourist as the banks rating you are more restricted by the Banks rules

Say a Non o with extensions for retirement allows the Bank ...remember I am talking about the Bank, to allow less rules inhibiting what your banking restrictions may be.

I intend to explore this a bit further

However from certain things that have happened to me in the Bank when I have been doing transactions, there certainly is some sort of status applied

Maybe its like ...Tourist, Long stay, or something like that.

Now copying the Visa, or the extension (more likely) could be advantage in the Banking scene.

I use two branches of the Capital city named Bank. One allows me more freedom than the other.

Regards

On a related bank topic, which may be useful if anyone wants to know about online banking; I opened internet access to a long standing TMB account back in February. In late May I received the following:-

"Dear Customer,

TMB Bank appreciates your trust in our TMB Internet Banking service and would like to inform you this important matters prior to the implementation of our newly developed Internet Banking, which will be introduced in July 2014.

According to our information, you have opened account with TMB without submitting the necessary documents to the bank in the account opening process. Our governing body requires that foreigners who open account with TMB must provide such documents to TMB Bank. Otherwise, the bank cannot provide customer with online banking service.

For our foreign customers residing in Thailand, please visit nearby TMB branch where you can request our staff to update your personal information to include necessary items. When the data is updated, you will be able to continue using TMB Internet Banking in the new form, which will be launched in July 2014.

We understand our foreign customers are staying in Thailand for various reasons. Please see the details of required documents that fit your status. Please contact our branch to update your information before 27 June 2014.

1. For Customer with Work Permit, please bring these items:
A) Your passport. (Branch staff will take care of making copies of certain page such as Visa page and immigration stamp page).
B ) A copy of your work permit.

2. For Customer with no Work Permit but possessing a visa for long-term stay:
You can bring your passport to branch but please make sure your visa is a type that allow for minimum stay of 9 months.

3. For Customer who is currently enrolled in academic institute and has no Work Permit.
A) Your passport.
B ) A letter from your academic institute to certify your status as a student.
C) A copy of your student ID card.

Please DO NOT scan/attach your documents and reply to this e-Mail as it is against our security policy regarding confidentiality of customer's information.

For customers who cannot provide these documents or living outside of Thailand, your TMB Internet Banking User ID will not be able to login after the new TMB Internet Banking is introduced. However, please note that the termination of your Internet Banking' s User ID does not mean bank account closure. TMB Bank will not close or deactivate your account. Therefore even after your TMB Internet Banking service is terminated, you will still be able to withdraw your money at branch counter or ATM as usual.

Should you find it impossible to deliver TMB Bank with required Work Permit document, please take this time to manage your necessary transaction before 27 June 2014 to avoid unexpected difficulties.

TMB Bank realizes our compliance with regulations will be causing effect to our customers. Please accept our apology for this matter."

It was 2 months later before I got a retirement extension. Fortunately my internet access had not yet been terminated and 15 minutes at the bank took care of things, but it did seem to involve a great deal of photo copying and counter signing. I do sometimes wonder where they put all that paper. Also I was quite puzzled as to why they were so concerned with work permit/ visa checks etc just for online access; particularly as it was made clear that the actual account would not be affected.

Edited by DoctorB

I only give them my Thai driving licence when doing transactions.Never been asked for my passport yet.

They changed the rule around 2 years ago and the staff should not be accepting driving licences, only your passport. Another rule that has been introduced is that you now have to fill out forms for the benefit of the American IRS when you deposit large sums of money. I had this hassle opening a time deposit account at Bangkok Bank with B800,000. As far as I am concerned what right have the Americans got to request information on all other nationalities personal transactions?

Edited by Estrada
  • Like 1

I only give them my Thai driving licence when doing transactions.Never been asked for my passport yet.

They changed the rule around 2 years ago and the staff should not be accepting driving licences, only your passport. Another rule that has been introduced is that you now have to fill out forms for the benefit of the American IRS when you deposit large sums of money. I had this hassle opening a time deposit account at Bangkok Bank with B800,000. As far as I am concerned what right have the Americans got to request information on all other nationalities personal transactions?

I had the same problem with the SCB.

A long form asking about any US connections.

My Thai driving license has always been excepted except for opening new accounts, then they want a passport too. That goes for BBL, AYB, SCB and TMB.

Over the years doing certain transactions at Bangkok Bank branches, copying of the passport main page, and sometimes the page containing the current visa/extension of stay, has been common. The branches have "always" required my passport to do a withdrawal.

In Koh Pha Ngan, u just go into the bank with your book and you can withdrawal the amount of moneu you want (if you have it of course) whithout any Passport or ID card.

The only thing they want is that your signature match with the signature they have in their system.

I allways bring my passport, in case !.........

So you lose your book for any bad reason, ands the idiot who find it can take out all of your money !............

Great !

"the page containing my visa (for the forum pedants; my extension of stay based on retirement)"

Being pedantic is not the same thing as being accurate. Since it's not a visa, why call it a visa? I suppose you could call your passport your bicycle if it makes you feel idiosyncratic and edgy, but it would still be your passport and you would actually be peculiar rather than idiosyncratic.

If you're going to say that writing "visa" is less time consuming than writing "immigrations' stamp," you wasted more time writing your attempted put-down than you would just using the correct term.

• Like 2

K-bank now no longer allow you to transfer funds out if Thailand via internet. Just a new policy implemented in the last week. I went to the branch I opened it in at patong where I no longer stay and was told I cannot transfer international online.

I was told I can only do it in the branch and was not able to because it was a bank holiday (eventhough the branch was open). I'm trying to get my money out of here quick smart and before all the retirement warriors post I've done nothing wrong. I've been flying in and out every 28 days off shore and legally opened my account but was told it is to do with the clamp down on illegal money being earned in Thailand so u have to do it in the branch and prove it came from overseas.

Just need to hope I get in next month to get it out

Since it's not a visa, why call it a visa?

The same reason that countless forum members have posted or contributed to threads about Honda PCXs refering to the machines as motorcycles / motor bikes rather than motor scooters; because it's normal!

Incidentally, if you were to undertake a Google search on the definition of visa, the very first result will show as "an endorsement on a passport indicating that the holder is allowed to enter, leave, or stay for a specified period of time in a country".

I suppose you could call your passport your bicycle ......

Using an analogy of calling a passport a bicycle????????

K-bank now no longer allow you to transfer funds out if Thailand via internet. Just a new policy implemented in the last week. I went to the branch I opened it in at patong where I no longer stay and was told I cannot transfer international online.

I was told I can only do it in the branch and was not able to because it was a bank holiday (eventhough the branch was open). I'm trying to get my money out of here quick smart and before all the retirement warriors post I've done nothing wrong. I've been flying in and out every 28 days off shore and legally opened my account but was told it is to do with the clamp down on illegal money being earned in Thailand so u have to do it in the branch and prove it came from overseas.

Just need to hope I get in next month to get it out

Interesting,my monthly transfer went through with no issue last Thursday. I do it via online banking.

Technically one cannot open a bank account without a visa .

Do you have a visa whilst doing your 28 day rotations ?.

You are paid into a Thai bank account.... Why not keep it "offshore"?

Edited by Spoonman

So what happens if you are on a 30 day permit to stay and want to purchase a condo?

Then don't buy a condo if you can only manage to get a 30 permit.

So are you saying that I can buy if I get say a 60 day tourist visa ? I ask as my friend bought a condo on a 30 day permit to enter and set up a bank A/C no problem. I assume this is no longer a possibility. He purchased a couple of years back.

I think it depends on the type of bank transaction you are doing.

I only use my Visa Card for Withdraw, which anyone can do, so they only require the Photo Page of my Passport for ID, For a Bank Card you may need something more than a Visa Exempt, thus they copy your Visa Page to. Like they needed for my Thai Driver License.

Reporting you to the authorities for lack of Visa is a new one on me. I highly doubt this. Anymore then a hotel reporting you for the same. There may be a law in Thailand that requires anyone to report an Over-stayer, just like there may be a law that requires you to report anyone who is breaking the law. But again I doubt this ever happens.

The Fat drunk and Stupid guy was on to this issue months ago and warned everyone to start tranferring your money out before the bank run starts and the Junta shuts down all outward international transfers.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/727287-pragmatic-solutions-in-uncertain-times/

However, as usual on Thaivisa he was flamed to death and called a scaremonger.