Have We All Just Settled For Second Best?

bowerboy

You wrote, "btw, there are plenty of Thai and Chinese girls available in the US, and, the price is the same as in Thailand, without the airfare ad the visa nonsense."  That was not true.  That is the statement I was pointing out was in error. 

I have lived in Thailand for the last decade and before that in the USA among other places.  I don't find the USA comfortable.  I don't like needing a doctor to tell me what kind of simple medications I need from the Pharmacy.  I can google just fine.  I don't like paying the exorbitant rates for housing that I paid in the USA.  I get my medicine and health care free in the USA but I'd rather pay for it in Thailand because IMO it is better in Thailand. I like people wanting me and being happy to see me even if it is an act.  I like, "hello handsome man" better than, "What are you looking at you dirty old pervert?"

I felt living in the USA I was second best.  Not here.  I have leather furniture and a big screen TV.  I have a dog who is a good friend.  There are people who complain when the power goes out and others who buy a UPS.

no one is disputing that the age ratio to the females is favorable to the western male in Thailand

and if that is the criteria, then I agree, and at 54, had a string of girls in their early 30's in Thailand, and stayed with a 32 year old for a few months myself,

but, is that what we are using as the measure of why Thailand is superior to other places?

fine is that is the criteria, I agree hands down, Thailand beats the USA and probably every western country, for younger, available, and willing women 20 years and more, younger than us,

but that cant be the criteria

I gave you three criteria.  1.  Cost of housing.  2.  Cost of women.  3.  Expert readily available medical care.  I can add a few.  4.  Respect for age.  5.  Cheap restaurant prices.  6.  Free beer and liquor (family are moonshiners)

I am not going to live like, or with middle class Thai's. so, for me,

the cost of housing is the same in Thailand, as it is for me in the USA

Restaurants, agreed,

cost of women, the same, just cheaper to wine and dine them, provided you dont buy any wine

free beer? cant beat that, but for the rest of us,

the cost of alcohol in Thailand, is grotesque and absurdly high, and the weed sucks and it isnt worth going to a thai prison if you fail a random piss test in the streets, something they will never do in the uSa

on the women?

there is just a shortage of willing girls in their 20's and 30's here, unless you pay them, $100 per hour, which, is close to a soapy, so, for me, a wash, pun intended, but for the reality, no one is getting it for free, and I dont care what some anonymous letters on TV say they get for free, they are all lying bags of shit, ain't nothing for free except bull crap,

plenty of it in thailand, especially coming out of the mouths of the expats

medical care, i am not so sure about that, and I have heard all sorts of bad stories about unnecessary procedures in Thailand

I did consider getting some dental work done while I was there, but in the end, changed my mind

hey, I tried to give Thailand a chinamans chance, and wanted to move there permanently,

but, there is no way I am going to live like an animal in bangkok, with no grass to walk on anywhere, and the inability to ride a bicycle without inhaling pollution and dodging cars.

no thanks,

thailand failed in every category except cheap restaurants and cheap whores,

I would rather pay a little extra for both here, and, HIV is on the rise in Thailand, and it can come thru the mouth, so, its either bag it, or risk it all, for a blow job?

there/s not much more to say

Edited by SteveFong
  • Like 1

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got back from a month of living with my parents in their beautiful house in the countryside in the UK - here are my observations.

good stuff UK

The food - fish and chips in Whitby was amazing

The weather but it was very good weather even for July

My Family and friends - but this often included a night out which was about £80 a time or more

good stuff Thailand

missed the girls here

missed my own space

missed cost of living

missed relaxed lifestyle

The UK is really not relaxed at all, just looking at some of the signs in my local doctors... things like - 'our staff will not put up for being verbally abused and you will be reported and prosecuted' just made me feel like i'd done something before I had...  another occasion the police stormed up my parents drive in a massive van to demand that my brother appear in court to be a witness - could they have not called or arrived on foot or sent a letter first... there is a nasty feeling over there.

I dont care about immigrants in the UK, but others do, openly using racist remarks regarding Pakistanis in our local pub - but its always been like that.

Thailand is just too hot though and things don't work as well as they should do, but nowhere is perfect

You wrote, "btw, there are plenty of Thai and Chinese girls available in the US, and, the price is the same as in Thailand, without the airfare ad the visa nonsense."  That was not true.  That is the statement I was pointing out was in error. 

I have lived in Thailand for the last decade and before that in the USA among other places.  I don't find the USA comfortable.  I don't like needing a doctor to tell me what kind of simple medications I need from the Pharmacy.  I can google just fine.  I don't like paying the exorbitant rates for housing that I paid in the USA.  I get my medicine and health care free in the USA but I'd rather pay for it in Thailand because IMO it is better in Thailand. I like people wanting me and being happy to see me even if it is an act.  I like, "hello handsome man" better than, "What are you looking at you dirty old pervert?"

I felt living in the USA I was second best.  Not here.  I have leather furniture and a big screen TV.  I have a dog who is a good friend.  There are people who complain when the power goes out and others who buy a UPS.

no one is disputing that the age ratio to the females is favorable to the western male in Thailand

and if that is the criteria, then I agree, and at 54, had a string of girls in their early 30's in Thailand, and stayed with a 32 year old for a few months myself,

but, is that what we are using as the measure of why Thailand is superior to other places?

fine is that is the criteria, I agree hands down, Thailand beats the USA and probably every western country, for younger, available, and willing women 20 years and more, younger than us,

I gave you three criteria.  1.  Cost of housing.  2.  Cost of women.  3.  Expert readily available medical care.  I can add a few.  4.  Respect for age.  5.  Cheap restaurant prices.  6.  Free beer and liquor (family are moonshiners)

I am not going to live like, or with middle class Thai's. so, for me, the cost of housing is the same in Thailand, as it is for me in the USA

Restaurants, agreed,

cost of women, the same, there is just a shortage of willing girls in their 20's and 30's here, unless you pay them, $100 per hour, which, is close to a soapy, so, for me, a wash, pun intended

free beer? cant beat that,

the cost of alcohol in Thailand, is grotesque and absurdly high

medical care, i am not so sure about that

I live in a new gated home in Thailand; total cost, the same as I paid for a condo maintenance fee in the USA. 

Moonshine is moonshine either you like it or you don't.  Mine's free.

Medical care at a good private hospital is great.  Medical care at a good clinic is cheap and available at night and on the weekends.  No prescription is required for most medicines. 

And to add a couple more first class Thai things; bed seating in the movies and the malls are all new as opposed to the creaking wrecks of places in the West. 

I don't live in Bangkok and I really think you have not been there either. 

I do have a question though.  Why do you care enough to bash Thailand.  You don't live here.  Why would you try and convince others not to do so? 

Edited by thailiketoo

Well I can't say a word about Australia Now the UK another matter was there for a visit and must say The country is beautiful, But it dose have some major drawbacks for me that is It is small for one thing They drive on the wrong side of the road, I know they created the English language But takes some getting use to from British subjects. No disrespect to my many British friends. London from what I seen Made feel Like I was in the UAE.  Also being from the US Seeing and hear an black person with British accent is strange indeed. But I know don't miss US They weren't there for when I returned from Nam. But I'm proud to be an American crazy as that seems.

Here is what I learned about the UK:

1.Fag= cigarette

2. knock me up = call me later.

3. Spotted Dick= a pudding of some sort

4. Kidney pie= A dish I guess you boil the piss out of it.

USA 

1. Fag= homosexual

2. Knock me up = get some one pregnant.

3. Spotted Dick = new strain of VD. 

4 . lost my lunch on that one 

Anyone commenting on food and professing a love for deep fried fish and potatoes should be held in some kind of reeducation camp for taste sensitivity.  Talk about second rate culinary treasures fried fish and potatoes is  well below the first five hundred. 

Edited by thailiketoo

I might add I hope my fellow ex-pats are also proud of there homelands. It is our differences that unite us. Well at least some of can get a good laugh at each other.

You do know many of avoid other expats like the plague?  Thai Visa is OK but to actually meet and expat face to face now that's another matter.   PS I'm not proud of my homeland.  That is one of the reasons I live in Thailand. 

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

Wow just saw where some one wrote cheaper in US. Right Obamacare prime example get it or get taxed on it. Which is Taxation without Representation if I'm correct. housing cost medium rental 1000  USD on the low end. Taxes, state, local, vise, liquor the list goes on and on. Respect of ones age? in US never seen it in Thailand I always get a wai from younger Thais. Food Thailand great a varied Us same overpriced and varied and don't forget the tip.corruption same in both. Who in there right mind pays 1000 USD for a toilet seat? yep you got it the Tax payer. Young women can get in states but a a huge cost.

• Like 1

That's what makes Thailand so special, the fact that females are desperate there?

so what, I was in Thailand 6 months, and had 10 different women, not counting the one's I didn't want, ie., every time I went for a massage, in what I thought was a non sex shop, they still attacked me, BFD,

this is not enough to give up all the other comforts of the USA sorry

Yes, that is one of the most important criteria for a lot of us. I enjoy female company and the girls here are cute, easy going, happy and plentiful. Great family values and happy to take care of you, which makes it equally as satisfying to take care of them.

My girlfriend's English is pretty good and I can talk to her on just about any matter.  

You can have everything in Australia, but it's just lonely.........never lonely in Thailand.

I like people wanting me and being happy to see me even if it is an act.

Well at least you finally acknowledge that any "popularity" you may enjoy is just as likely to be a charade as it is to be genuine.

If a man wants to live in a fantasy, that's his choice and his RIGHT. Nothing wrong with it at all . . . until he tries to convince others that his mirage is anything but a construct of his conscious/sub-conscious.

With an enforced stay back in the UK since January this year :(

Water bills - £27 a month (1500Baht). On a water meter. Includes sewerage charges + can drink straight from the tap.

Gas and Elec combined £135 for 3 months (2430 Baht a month)

Internet and phone combined £10 a month (540 Baht) + annual cost of phone line rental of £110 (5940 Baht). 2MB sec d/l speed for torrents.

With Aldi and Lidl and other supermarkets the price of food has lowered a lot.

I bought a Ford Fiesta car with a 1 years MOT (roadworthy test) for £500 (27000 Baht). Not a flash car but it suits my purpose.

See, not everything is bad, BUT...

The price of a beer is extortionate at over £3 a pint.

Eating out? Forget that - too expensive.

Fish and chips? (As mentioned by another poster) over £4 a time.

The women? Forget that too. Old, XXL size and expensive in the main.

Food banks for many people who cannot afford supermarket prices.

Posting a letter depends on size of envelope. Prices start at 65 pence per letter.

Still plenty of money grabbing and dishonest politicians (and people in Thailand complain about Thai politicians).

Immigration a BIG issue. We seem to be becoming a Muslim state. Illegal immigrants now a BIG political issue. Immigrants still stealing aboard trucks from France. Boat people coming from Africa and elsewhere in their thousands.

CCTV watching your every move. THE UK has more CCTV cameras than anywhere else in the world.

There are so many tired, miserable and worn out people here. Few smiles. Little obvious happiness.

The E.U. ruling everything.

Is Thailand 2nd best? I think not, especially for that relaxed atmosphere, attitudes and general livability :)

This is just my opinion though ;)

• Like 1

Loving the claims that all the women in the west are old and fat. There are plenty of young attractive women the world over. But they're not interested in old farts like you, and you can't afford to pay them to hide their disgust.
  • Like 1

The OP has broken from the herd, but the herd vibration, in the form of habits and memoriesm may try to pull him back..  What a blessing to be individualized!

Is the herd the people who insult Thailand at every opportunity or the couple of us who defend Thailand? 

• Like 1

Women can't have good jobs in Thailand?

Also, you'd prefer everyone to have the same colour skin? Isn't there a word for that?

What's your definition of a good job? I have Thai friends in professional occupations that earn over 1,000,000 baht a year, so what level of income do you call that? 

Utopia is a fantasy! 

It does not exist, therefore all other places on earth are 2nd best.

Without compromises, there is no single place that meets each of our individual criteria.  If it meets yours, then it will not meet mine as our lists are not the same.

In retirement, I've enjoyed the last five years living here in Thailand with semi-annual 1-2 months trips to the USA - CA and Hawaii.  I also enjoyed my decades working in the USA, but was always in search of something better after my family matured.  During the next 5 years, I plan to continue splitting my time between the USA and Thailand, but possibly more equitably.   As I get into my more senior years, criterias change.

Enjoy your moments of happiness.

• Like 1

Also, you'd prefer everyone to have the same colour skin? Isn't there a word for that?

What's your definition of a good job? I have Thai friends in professional occupations that earn over 1,000,000 baht a year, so what level of income do you call that? 

Why are you asking me?

Happy hour has started - I see !

I see you didn't take the time to read the previous page.  If your post carries to sarcasm that I think it does.  But who knows.  Do you really the world needs another one? 

Sad as it may appear to be - I have read 90% of the posts. The tone of the posts tends to raise an octave as and when " happy hour" starts - as with most threads !
  • Like 1

Tis you living in the fantasy.  I have never said any woman loved me; in any place, at any time. 

I've never said any man in Thailand or anyplace was a real friend.  I've always said if you wanted a friend get a dog.  I have a dog.  She is my loyal friend. 

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. 

This thread is an attack against people who live in Thailand, "Have We All Just Settled For Second Best?"  I am just defending reality from folks who for some reason want to bash Thailand. 

Walt Disney world fantasy in Florida ticket is about 6500 baht for a day.  Do you know what kind of fantasy I can have in Thailand for 6500 baht a day?  Yes it includes hotel and swimming pool. 

I know a lot of old guys.  None of them believe the con.  They are all happy.  Pattaya was a Disneyland designed by drunk sailors; that's not news to anyone! 

You are making up these dumb old folks who believe the lie.  There aren't any.  Young guys sure, a million of em.  Talk to the young men.  They can't get visas anyway and tell them to stay home and Thailand is only going to lead to heartbreak.   But give us old geezers a break.  We know......We don't care.  We having fun,clap2.gif

There's some truth to what you're saying.  A lot of the young guys want to believe the old guys are all delusional.  But most of the old guys know the score.  They're just rolling with the punches.  Question is, is it better to be happy in fantasyland, or miserable in the real world.  At the end of the day, it's about whether you've lived your life to the fullest. 

• Like 2

Tis you living in the fantasy.  I have never said any woman loved me; in any place, at any time. 

I've never said any man in Thailand or anyplace was a real friend.  I've always said if you wanted a friend get a dog.  I have a dog.  She is my loyal friend. 

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. 

This thread is an attack against people who live in Thailand, "Have We All Just Settled For Second Best?"  I am just defending reality from folks who for some reason want to bash Thailand. 

Walt Disney world fantasy in Florida ticket is about 6500 baht for a day.  Do you know what kind of fantasy I can have in Thailand for 6500 baht a day?  Yes it includes hotel and swimming pool. 

I know a lot of old guys.  None of them believe the con.  They are all happy.  Pattaya was a Disneyland designed by drunk sailors; that's not news to anyone! 

You are making up these dumb old folks who believe the lie.  There aren't any.  Young guys sure, a million of em.  Talk to the young men.  They can't get visas anyway and tell them to stay home and Thailand is only going to lead to heartbreak.   But give us old geezers a break.  We know......We don't care.  We having fun,clap2.gif

There's some truth to what you're saying.  A lot of the young guys want to believe the old guys are all delusional.  But most of the old guys know the score.  They're just rolling with the punches.  Question is, is it better to be happy in fantasyland, or miserable in the real world.  At the end of the day, it's about whether you've lived your life to the fullest. 

Walt Disney was not a dummy.

With an enforced stay back in the UK since January this year :(

Water bills - £27 a month (1500Baht). On a water meter. Includes sewerage charges + can drink straight from the tap.
Internet and phone combined £10 a month (540 Baht) + annual cost of phone line rental of £110 (5940 Baht). 2MB sec d/l speed for torrents.
I bought a Ford Fiesta car with a 1 years MOT (roadworthy test) for £500 (27000 Baht). Not a flash car but it suits my purpose.

Posting a letter depends on size of envelope. Prices start at 65 pence per letter.

Still plenty of money grabbing and dishonest politicians (and people in Thailand complain about Thai politicians).

Immigration a BIG issue. We seem to be becoming a Muslim state. Illegal immigrants now a BIG political issue. Immigrants still stealing aboard trucks from France. Boat people coming from Africa and elsewhere in their thousands.

CCTV watching your every move. THE UK has more CCTV cameras than anywhere else in the world.

There are so many tired, miserable and worn out people here. Few smiles. Little obvious happiness.

Is Thailand 2nd best? I think not, especially for that relaxed atmosphere, attitudes and general livability :)

This is just my opinion though ;)

Still looking on a brighter note. Football starts this weekend. I agree with what you say about peoples obvious happiness. They don't seem to happy one little bit.

With an enforced stay back in the UK since January this year sad.png

Is Thailand 2nd best? I think not, especially for that relaxed atmosphere, attitudes and general livability smile.png

This is just my opinion though wink.png

there are more cameras in Thailand than you think

Tesco in particular is now scanning your face, your eyes, and your cell phone, EVERY time you get gas, and or wal into one of their convenient stores,

look it up,

you are not only being watched there, you are being invaded

1 million baht is $33,000 USD?

that is about what non working people collect from the US government in the form of unemployment "insurance"

another US mafia scam, but

1 million baht is very little in the USA to answer the question

Utopia is a fantasy! 

It does not exist, therefore all other places on earth are 2nd best.

Without compromises, there is no single place that meets each of our individual criteria.  If it meets yours, then it will not meet mine as our lists are not the same.

In retirement, I've enjoyed the last five years living here in Thailand with semi-annual 1-2 months trips to the USA - CA and Hawaii.  I also enjoyed my decades working in the USA, but was always in search of something better after my family matured.  During the next 5 years, I plan to continue splitting my time between the USA and Thailand, but possibly more equitably.   As I get into my more senior years, criterias change.

Enjoy your moments of happiness.

this is a good assessment, which would be more instructive to me, if I knew your age.

I am 54, and my kids are 27, 24 with the older 100% independent and the younger, almost

it is that "almost" that has me back here after exploring Thailand for 6 months last year, Oct 2013- March 2014

after that though, I can not see Thailand as top of the list

sure, I can get by there, and as a native New Yorker, BKK is easy for me to deal with, if I want to deal with a hot polluted city where very few speak english

yes it is true, the girls are fabulous in Thailand, but they are not free,

just because there is a multitude of them,

means the same as a man who loves the water, but cannot swim,

Thailand is too much hassle for me, as I have lived a pretty luxurious life the last 15 years, due to the tech stock bubble and then the real estate bubble, both which I was a fairly lucky surfer, and even with the crashes that followed, I am still in decent shape,

but what is the attraction to Thailand?

example,

Cocoa Beach, Florida,

a 2 bedroom apt on the ocean, $1,000 a month,

I ride a motorcycle so, no need for insurance that never pays,

I am healthy,

the food here is top notch,

there is music in the bars, music I like,

now,

the women,

non existent, some grotesque, some obese, many smoke cigarettes, in most cases, downright disgusting.

but,

there are Thai massage places, and other "massage" places, all around, so,

where is the benefit to the quantity theory?

and to the guy who prefers to fake smiles and the greetings, I say, really?

last on my list,

I love to play golf,

it is too damned hot in BKK to golf and the sun way too strong,

I dont care what people say,

Thailand, is not a healthy place

• Like 1