Have We All Just Settled For Second Best?

bowerboy

Why would anyone care what they think back home.

(Mostly their thoughts are accurate)

Some people ran out of money here and had to go home.  They are obsessed with Thailand and everything Thai.  It is difficult for them to have a normal conversation in the West because every subject eventually leads to prostitutes in Thailand.  Like, "What kind of cereal did you eat this morning?  You know, that reminds me of a massage girl I met in Bangkok, she never ate cereal for breakfast" 

Sooner of later everyone who talks to them in the West gets tired of the constant references to Thailand because they don't even know where Thailand is so they scowl in disgust.  

• Like 1

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people ran out of money here and had to go home.  They are obsessed with Thailand and everything Thai.  It is difficult for them to have a normal conversation in the West because every subject eventually leads to prostitutes in Thailand.  Like, "What kind of cereal did you eat this morning?  You know, that reminds me of a massage girl I met in Bangkok, she never ate cereal for breakfast" 

Sooner of later everyone who talks to them in the West gets tired of the constant references to Thailand because they don't even know where Thailand is so they scowl in disgust.  

not sure who you refer too,

I went to Thailand for a 7-10 visit and wound up moving in with my soapy and taking her with me to Bali, Ventianne, Chaing Mai, and Chaing Rai, where we had great times,

and I lived near the Promenade, and ate only in the best restaraunts,

I left, 

because my life is better here

I offered to bring her, but, she cant get a visa,

thats life

Thailand in the areas I was in, was not a pleasant place, in any way

I had to wear ear plugs when I walked outside, and I always wore sunglasses due to the real risk of eye damage from flying pollutants and road particles

I didnt get to where I am today, both physically and financially, to endure that nonsense and risk my health

hell, you cant even walk down a street and be safe as motorbikes are on the sidewalks going in both directions

no thanks,

I will use Thailand, the way it is meant to be used

• Like 1

I went to Thailand for a 7-10 visit and wound up moving in with my soapy and taking her with me to Bali, Ventianne, Chaing Mai, and Chaing Rai, where we had great times,

I left, 

thats life

I had to wear ear plugs when I walked outside, and I always wore sunglasses due to the real risk of eye damage from flying pollutants and road particles

I didnt get to where I am today, both physically and financially, to endure that nonsense and risk my health

hell, you cant even walk down a street and be safe as motorbikes are on the sidewalks going in both directions

no thanks,

Well Scarpolo...your  true colors emerge....A thai Basher at heart! Your just the kind of "tourist Thailand does NOT need". So we can all collectively clap that you are in Florida, the land of all the old New York retirees. Good luck with that.

You apparently see only what you want to see, unable to open up to the nuiances and beauty of Thailand that is here ,,,, As you  are apparently  hung up on your "imagined" physique and wealth....(obviously the internet has served you well and your imaged persona!....good luck with that)

Why do you bother posting when you add nothing as your experience in Thailand was miniscule and limited to a "soapy princess"

Thought you were moving to Panama....supposedly had a great opportunity there? Another thing in your life not pan out for you?

Get a life!

PS ....please take your meds as your pyschotic ramblings are boring!

Edited by beachproperty
  • Like 2

I left, 

thats life

no thanks,

Well Scarpolo...your  true colors emerge....A thai Basher at heart! Your just the kind of "tourist Thailand does NOT need". So we can all collectively clap that you are in Florida, the land of all the old New York retirees. Good luck with that.

You apparently see only what you want to see, unable to open up to the nuiances and beauty of Thailand that is here ,,,, As you  are apparently  hung up on your "imagined" physique and wealth....(obviously the internet has served you well and your imaged persona!....good luck with that)

Why do you bother posting when you add nothing as your experience in Thailand was miniscual and limited to a "soapy princess"

Thought you were moving to Panama....supposedly had a great opportunity there? Another thing in your life not pan out for you?

Get a life!

yeah, Panama,

didnt want to attach myself after further due diligence

besides beachnut,

arent you going to offer me a room when I return, so you can bask in my glory, and catch a glimpse of the soapy queen, yourself?

and by the way

you need a spelling lesson

I didn't get to where I am today ... That's funny.

it comes to mind as I recall seeing a man my age early 50's barely able to walk, using a cane, and blind in one eye, after being thrown from a tuk tuk, a day before he was to return to England,

the tuk tuk was hit by a car that swerved to avoid hitting a motorbike that cut him off

now this guy is crippled,

so yeah,

where I am today 

healthy, wealthy and not taking unnecessary risks with my life in a country where it is ok to  fling someone off a balcony, and as long as they arent thai, no one cares

Edited by SteveFong
  • Like 1

it comes to mind as I recall seeing a man my age early 50's barely able to walk, using a cane, and blind in one eye, after being thrown from a tuk tuk, a day before he was to return to England,

the tuk tuk was hit by a car that swerved to avoid hitting a motorbike that cut him off

so yeah,

where I am today 

healthy, wealthy and not dumb

I find it hilarious that you, Scarpolo, had the time to interview this poor man, as to where he was from?, and are you blind in one eye?, And now know he is permenatly crippled! Did you videotape it also for youtube? please provide pictures of your new friend!

Can only go by your posts ....so don't know about healthy and wealthy but you certainly come off "dumb"

Edited by beachproperty

so yeah,

where I am today 

healthy, wealthy and not dumb

I find it hilarious that you, Scarpolo, had the time to interview this poor man, as to where he was from?, and are you blind in one eye?, And now know he is permenatly crippled! Did you videotape it also for youtube? please provide pictures of your new friend!

Can only go by your posts ....so don't know about healthy and wealthy but you certainly come off "dumb"

he was a friend of the owners of the Dubliner Pub, sukhumvit, near Asoke

I left, 

thats life

no thanks,

You can tell by the posts that no one likes you here and the women in the west scowl at you in disgust.  I can understand that leaves you without a friend. 

Most here actually understand Thailand beyond your surface negativism.  It has good and bad like everyplace.  You have nothing to add you bring nothing to the table? 

The forum has rules about posting untruths and negative statements.  2.  You will not use ThaiVisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false.  11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand.

You seem to want to vent.  OK, let me recommend http://blahtherapy.com/therapists/

• Like 2

so yeah,

where I am today 

healthy, wealthy and not taking unnecessary risks with my life in a country where it is ok to  fling someone off a balcony, and as long as they arent thai, no one cares

You make it sound as if America doesn't have car accidents.  And I'm sure the US doesn't have race riots, gun crimes, drunk drivers, suicides, etc., etc.  By the way, it's rather unbecoming and pretentious (not to mention unbelievable) to boast about your finances on an anonymous forum.  It doesn't make you more credible and if anything, it makes me question the veracity of pretty much everything you say. 

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Utopia is a fantasy! 

It does not exist, therefore all other places on earth are 2nd best.

Without compromises, there is no single place that meets each of our individual criteria.  If it meets yours, then it will not meet mine as our lists are not the same.

In retirement, I've enjoyed the last five years living here in Thailand with semi-annual 1-2 months trips to the USA - CA and Hawaii.  I also enjoyed my decades working in the USA, but was always in search of something better after my family matured.  During the next 5 years, I plan to continue splitting my time between the USA and Thailand, but possibly more equitably.   As I get into my more senior years, criterias change.

Enjoy your moments of happiness.

this is a good assessment, which would be more instructive to me, if I knew your age.

I am 54, and my kids are 27, 24 with the older 100% independent and the younger, almost

it is that "almost" that has me back here after exploring Thailand for 6 months last year, Oct 2013- March 2014

after that though, I can not see Thailand as top of the list

sure, I can get by there, and as a native New Yorker, BKK is easy for me to deal with, if I want to deal with a hot polluted city where very few speak english

yes it is true, the girls are fabulous in Thailand, but they are not free,

just because there is a multitude of them,

means the same as a man who loves the water, but cannot swim,

Thailand is too much hassle for me, as I have lived a pretty luxurious life the last 15 years, due to the tech stock bubble and then the real estate bubble, both which I was a fairly lucky surfer, and even with the crashes that followed, I am still in decent shape,

but what is the attraction to Thailand?

example,

Cocoa Beach, Florida,

a 2 bedroom apt on the ocean, $1,000 a month,

I ride a motorcycle so, no need for insurance that never pays,

I am healthy,

the food here is top notch,

there is music in the bars, music I like,

now,

the women,

non existent, some grotesque, some obese, many smoke cigarettes, in most cases, downright disgusting.

but,

there are Thai massage places, and other "massage" places, all around, so,

where is the benefit to the quantity theory?

and to the guy who prefers to fake smiles and the greetings, I say, really?

last on my list,

I love to play golf,

it is too damned hot in BKK to golf and the sun way too strong,

I dont care what people say,

Thailand, is not a healthy place

I am still not old enough to collect SS benefits, so have been living on savings, retirement accounts and pensions.  I do not live a luxurious life in either the USA or Thailand.  Two of my children are in their 30's, completed their advanced degrees and have good jobs.  The third worked a great job on the east coast and is now entering graduate school.  Two of my kids (one girl, one boy) separately have visited me in Thailand and the three of them live in three different time zones and I am in the 4th (Thailand) so we communicate regularly using my USA IP phone and email.  We meet up annually (I pay their airfares) and/or I include their location in my semi-annual visits.   I also regularly communicate and visit with my ex-wife (their mother) as we remain best friends and I shall take care of her forever.  Financially, she has a nice home in one of the cleanest and safest places within a coastal community.

However, unlike you I did not signficantly benefit from either the real estate (just a little) or tech stock booms, so I've been a diligent saver and conservative investor with a somewhat low standard of living.  My subordinate managers and employees always drove better and newer cars than I did smile.png.

Motorcycles, Food, Women and Golf....Rent and Air Quality...

I am also an avid motorcyclist having ridden solo multiple times across the continental USA and Canada and having logged 300-400k miles over a dozen bikes..  Upon early retirment I had planned an extended trip throughout the USA, but instead opted to spend the first 5 years in Thailand.  This was after I had visited my list of ideal climates/countries in which to retire and revisited the top 3 another 4-5 times each (Vietnam was my #2 where imho is safer to ride).....  While in Thailand, I ride very little....going from a 'motorcycle' that sat for most of the first three years to now a tiny kickstart motorbike that I do not have to worry about the battery being dead smile.png.   If I want to live longer and healthier, I will ride it minimally here in Thailand, so I prefer to walk and ride my bicycles.... yeah, that's another discussion smile.png

Food.  I love to eat, often too much and in both countries there are some nice buffets and/or relatively inexpensive foods everywhere, but in Thailand without 10-15% service tips on top.  There aren't many USA foods I miss here in Thailand, nor are there many Thai foods I miss in the USA except Thai foods in the USA tend to be comparatively expensive.  Yes, I am NOT a 'foodie' (nor a wine drinker) so my evaluation would not satisfy those who are more selective about their restaurants. When visiting the USA, my credit card bill is signficantly higher than my Thai food budget.  

Women and massages.  Well, plenty of discussions on these.  I am married to a Thai lady who was educated to be a school teacher.  Upon meeting me, I sent her to massage school.  She gives me massages, but I also visit massage shops most days for: foot, thai and oil.   My wives, both ex- and current are not the most beautiful, but I am also not the most handsome nor am I rich and famous.  They take care of me, I take care of them.  I've taken my Thai wife to the USA a few times and we will begin utilitizing her Tourist Visa more as I shift more of my time between Thailand and the USA.  Perhaps, 4-5 months in the USA each year.  In another 5-10 years, I may decide to spend more time in the USA or revert back to spending more time in Thailand.  I don't know..  By the way, my ex- likes my Thai wife as she can't understand how she could put up with my snoring, erratic sleep habits and my B.S. smile.png.

Golf.  This is an interesting subject as before I retired, I played twice a week to get my mind off of work, to spend time with colleagues and to spend outdoor time with my kids (besides hiking which their mother loves)..  Upon retirement, I had PLANNED on playing golf more regularly, however, upon moving to Thailand I have not played other than hitting balls at the range.  Yes, it is very hot and humid here and comparatively expensive in that one must pay green fees, cart fees, caddie fees and transportation fees - all adding up to more than twice what I normally pay to play at my public courses in the USA.  During my latest trip to the USA, I spent a few months restarting playing golf with some old hometown buddies.  Playing golf again was fantastic even if my scores were not smile.png.

So, with golf, motorcycling, visiting with more old friends my age now retiring early and with my grownup kids (no grandkids, yet); I am now planning on spending more time in the USA, but still less than in Thailand.  Since I kept my house, car, truck and motorcycles running in the USA there's no transition required.

For me, rent is -0- in both as I own my Thailand condos and my house in the USA.  Since I'd pay the condo association fees or USA property taxes regardless of where I spent my time, it's not an additional expense.  Sure, one can argue opportunity costs, etc.. for the value of funds, but since I was a conservative investor/saver, the <3% interest rates would amount to very little. 

One other element is air quality.  During the past two years, I've 'noticed' the horrible air quality in parts of Thailand.  I've begun coughing more regularly and running the AC within my condo whereas before I loved having the condo patio doors open for 'fresh air' (now only when it's raining).   In my USA hometown foothills or ex-wifes coastal home the air quality is great.  So, at one time I needed to retire for my health (overweight, stress, etc..), but now I have revisited and am looking at my USA home differently. 

The equation continually changes as my factors are modified - my interests, my health, my family and my financials.

I split my time between Thailand and USA.

Back in the usa the thing that strikes me most is how very simple some things can be...like getting in the car and driving to a store.  Everyone pretty much stays in their lane, there are a zillion traffic laws and cops around ready to give you a ticket if you stray from your lane....you get to a store and can read all the signs or ask someone if you need help.  You pay in dollars and don't calculate exchange rates in your head.  Prices for a LOT of the items you want are actually cheaper than in thailand and the selection is massive.  There are dozens of huge stores offering just about anything the mind can imagine.

It all seems oh so simple.

BUT....

The problem is that the simplicity also quicky becomes boring.  When I get in my car to go to the store in Thailand it is always an "adventure"...just driving is not stop "entertainment" as you see the constant parade of weird vehicles, people, etc and lack of concern for any traffic laws results in mostly chaos on the roads.  Then you get to the store where most farangs can't read the signs and can't speak enough thai to figure out much of anything...if you need help you get to play "charades" usually with some cute thai girls who are often quite amused by the funny farang's antics.  You are often the center of attention/amusement. The product selection is often not familiar and the prices on familiar/imported items are enough to give you a heart attack.  But in the end you do figure it all out and get back home with yet another often funny memory  rather than just another boring trip to the store.

Which is better?  I actually enjoy parts of both.

Yes, with sufficient financials, just living in the USA is easier.  Sometimes, too easy, but with motivation... and sometimes, Thailand is more FUN! smile.png.

Walking or bicycle riding to the gym in Thailand is often dangerous and I feel I must be 'on my toes,' whereas driving my car/truck to the gym is comparatively and statistically safer, but I try to make it there most days.....safety has less to do with whether I make it there, than personal motivation.

I love living in both countries for different reasons so I shall continue to 'stay' and live in both and try to enjoy what each offers best.  For me, it's not an either/or, but Thailand AND my home in the USA.

Edited by losgrad
  • Like 2

Sounds like some of the fools that I know.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Utopia is a fantasy! 

It does not exist, therefore all other places on earth are 2nd best.

Without compromises, there is no single place that meets each of our individual criteria.  If it meets yours, then it will not meet mine as our lists are not the same.

In retirement, I've enjoyed the last five years living here in Thailand with semi-annual 1-2 months trips to the USA - CA and Hawaii.  I also enjoyed my decades working in the USA, but was always in search of something better after my family matured.  During the next 5 years, I plan to continue splitting my time between the USA and Thailand, but possibly more equitably.   As I get into my more senior years, criterias change.

Enjoy your moments of happiness.

this is a good assessment, which would be more instructive to me, if I knew your age.

I am 54, and my kids are 27, 24 with the older 100% independent and the younger, almost

it is that "almost" that has me back here after exploring Thailand for 6 months last year, Oct 2013- March 2014

after that though, I can not see Thailand as top of the list

sure, I can get by there, and as a native New Yorker, BKK is easy for me to deal with, if I want to deal with a hot polluted city where very few speak english

yes it is true, the girls are fabulous in Thailand, but they are not free,

just because there is a multitude of them,

means the same as a man who loves the water, but cannot swim,

Thailand is too much hassle for me, as I have lived a pretty luxurious life the last 15 years, due to the tech stock bubble and then the real estate bubble, both which I was a fairly lucky surfer, and even with the crashes that followed, I am still in decent shape,

but what is the attraction to Thailand?

example,

Cocoa Beach, Florida,

a 2 bedroom apt on the ocean, $1,000 a month,

I ride a motorcycle so, no need for insurance that never pays,

I am healthy,

the food here is top notch,

there is music in the bars, music I like,

now,

the women,

non existent, some grotesque, some obese, many smoke cigarettes, in most cases, downright disgusting.

but,

there are Thai massage places, and other "massage" places, all around, so,

where is the benefit to the quantity theory?

and to the guy who prefers to fake smiles and the greetings, I say, really?

last on my list,

I love to play golf,

it is too damned hot in BKK to golf and the sun way too strong,

I dont care what people say,

Thailand, is not a healthy place

I am still not old enough to collect SS benefits, so have been living on savings, retirement accounts and pensions.  I do not live a luxurious life in either the USA or Thailand.  Two of my children are in their 30's, completed their advanced degrees and have good jobs.  The third worked a great job on the east coast and is now entering graduate school.  Two of my kids (one girl, one boy) separately have visited me in Thailand and the three of them live in three different time zones and I am in the 4th (Thailand) so we communicate regularly using my USA IP phone and email.  We meet up annually (I pay their airfares) and/or I include their location in my semi-annual visits.   I also regularly communicate and visit with my ex-wife (their mother) as we remain best friends and I shall take care of her forever.  Financially, she has a nice home in one of the cleanest and safest places within a coastal community.

However, unlike you I did not signficantly benefit from either the real estate (just a little) or tech stock booms, so I've been a diligent saver and conservative investor with a somewhat low standard of living.  My subordinate managers and employees always drove better and newer cars than I did smile.png.

Motorcycles, Food, Women and Golf....Rent and Air Quality...

I am also an avid motorcyclist having ridden solo multiple times across the continental USA and Canada and having logged 300-400k miles over a dozen bikes..  Upon early retirment I had planned an extended trip throughout the USA, but instead opted to spend the first 5 years in Thailand.  This was after I had visited my list of ideal climates/countries in which to retire and revisited the top 3 another 4-5 times each (Vietnam was my #2 where imho is safer to ride).....  While in Thailand, I ride very little....going from a 'motorcycle' that sat for most of the first three years to now a tiny kickstart motorbike that I do not have to worry about the battery being dead smile.png.   If I want to live longer and healthier, I will ride it minimally here in Thailand, so I prefer to walk and ride my bicycles.... yeah, that's another discussion smile.png

Food.  I love to eat, often too much and in both countries there are some nice buffets and/or relatively inexpensive foods everywhere, but in Thailand without 10-15% service tips on top.  There aren't many USA foods I miss here in Thailand, nor are there many Thai foods I miss in the USA except Thai foods in the USA tend to be comparatively expensive.  Yes, I am NOT a 'foodie' (nor a wine drinker) so my evaluation would not satisfy those who are more selective about their restaurants. When visiting the USA, my credit card bill is signficantly higher than my Thai food budget.  

Women and massages.  Well, plenty of discussions on these.  I am married to a Thai lady who was educated to be a school teacher.  Upon meeting me, I sent her to massage school.  She gives me massages, but I also visit massage shops most days for: foot, thai and oil.   My wives, both ex- and current are not the most beautiful, but I am also not the most handsome nor am I rich and famous.  They take care of me, I take care of them.  I've taken my Thai wife to the USA a few times and we will begin utilitizing her Tourist Visa more as I shift more of my time between Thailand and the USA.  Perhaps, 4-5 months in the USA each year.  In another 5-10 years, I may decide to spend more time in the USA or revert back to spending more time in Thailand.  I don't know..  By the way, my ex- likes my Thai wife as she can't understand how she could put up with my snoring, erratic sleep habits and my B.S. smile.png.

Golf.  This is an interesting subject as before I retired, I played twice a week to get my mind off of work, to spend time with colleagues and to spend outdoor time with my kids (besides hiking which their mother loves)..  Upon retirement, I had PLANNED on playing golf more regularly, however, upon moving to Thailand I have not played other than hitting balls at the range.  Yes, it is very hot and humid here and comparatively expensive in that one must pay green fees, cart fees, caddie fees and transportation fees - all adding up to more than twice what I normally pay to play at my public courses in the USA.  During my latest trip to the USA, I spent a few months restarting playing golf with some old hometown buddies.  Playing golf again was fantastic even if my scores were not smile.png.

So, with golf, motorcycling, visiting with more old friends my age now retiring early and with my grownup kids (no grandkids, yet); I am now planning on spending more time in the USA, but still less than in Thailand.  Since I kept my house, car, truck and motorcycles running in the USA there's no transition required.

For me, rent is -0- in both as I own my Thailand condos and my house in the USA.  Since I'd pay the condo association fees or USA property taxes regardless of where I spent my time, it's not an additional expense.  Sure, one can argue opportunity costs, etc.. for the value of funds, but since I was a conservative investor/saver, the <3% interest rates would amount to very little. 

One other element is air quality.  During the past two years, I've 'noticed' the horrible air quality in parts of Thailand.  I've begun coughing more regularly and running the AC within my condo whereas before I loved having the condo patio doors open for 'fresh air' (now only when it's raining).   In my USA hometown foothills or ex-wifes coastal home the air quality is great.  So, at one time I needed to retire for my health (overweight, stress, etc..), but now I have revisited and am looking at my USA home differently. 

The equation continually changes as my factors are modified - my interests, my health, my family and my financials.

I split my time between Thailand and USA.

Back in the usa the thing that strikes me most is how very simple some things can be...like getting in the car and driving to a store.  Everyone pretty much stays in their lane, there are a zillion traffic laws and cops around ready to give you a ticket if you stray from your lane....you get to a store and can read all the signs or ask someone if you need help.  You pay in dollars and don't calculate exchange rates in your head.  Prices for a LOT of the items you want are actually cheaper than in thailand and the selection is massive.  There are dozens of huge stores offering just about anything the mind can imagine.

It all seems oh so simple.

BUT....

The problem is that the simplicity also quicky becomes boring.  When I get in my car to go to the store in Thailand it is always an "adventure"...just driving is not stop "entertainment" as you see the constant parade of weird vehicles, people, etc and lack of concern for any traffic laws results in mostly chaos on the roads.  Then you get to the store where most farangs can't read the signs and can't speak enough thai to figure out much of anything...if you need help you get to play "charades" usually with some cute thai girls who are often quite amused by the funny farang's antics.  You are often the center of attention/amusement. The product selection is often not familiar and the prices on familiar/imported items are enough to give you a heart attack.  But in the end you do figure it all out and get back home with yet another often funny memory  rather than just another boring trip to the store.

Which is better?  I actually enjoy parts of both.

Yes, with sufficient financials, just living in the USA is easier.  Sometimes, too easy, but with motivation... and sometimes, Thailand is more FUN! smile.png.

Walking or bicycle riding to the gym in Thailand is often dangerous and I feel I must be 'on my toes,' whereas driving my car/truck to the gym is comparatively and statistically safer, but I try to make it there most days.....safety has less to do with whether I make it there, than personal motivation.

I love living in both countries for different reasons so I shall continue to 'stay' and live in both and try to enjoy what each offers best.  For me, it's not an either/or, but Thailand AND my home in the USA.

awesome review.

I hope you put the bicycles away.

There is a mounting number of doctors and other well to do professionals, who have been killed the last few years right here in south florida, on their bicycles. not motorcycles, bicycles,

I left Thailand because I saw guys my age with thai women in their 20's and 30's. and to my horror, they were pushing kids in strollers, and while the girls looked happy, the grey haired men, did not.

I didnt see a future there for my self, and the lifestyle I have in florida, is unmatchable there, although i do know of a girl from here who lives in Phucket and loves it, after selling her home in the keys for $800,000 US, she is a very wealthy ex pat, and wont come back,

I am 54 too young to see things the way these older ex pats see things,

it is not the same, I miss the $6.00 massages, and the haircuts were $3.00.

I also found great food at the Promenade and Fashion Island, my favorite was the Japanese BBQ, it was 1200 Baht for two, with a 10% service charge included, for great great beef cuts and chicken too

There were many things I liked about Thailand, but I cannot deal with pollution and near death experiences, just to cross a road

• Like 1

I left, 

thats life

no thanks,

You can tell by the posts that no one likes you here and the women in the west scowl at you in disgust.  I can understand that leaves you without a friend. 

Most here actually understand Thailand beyond your surface negativism.  It has good and bad like everyplace.  You have nothing to add you bring nothing to the table? 

The forum has rules about posting untruths and negative statements.  2.  You will not use ThaiVisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false.  11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand.

You seem to want to vent.  OK, let me recommend http://blahtherapy.com/therapists/

So what part of Steve Fong's  post is,  " false ...overly negative"? Seems to be an honest well written  opinion of why the member  does not particularly think Thailand is as great a place as it is made out to be. It brings something to my table.

Safety and pollution  considerations are certainly valid points.

I'd like to address your posts on this subject in every thread that do nothing but denigrate in transparent attempts to simply invalidate contrary opinion through  personal  psychoanalysis which is actually against forum rules if you want to be fair. "no one likes you here.... without a  friend...." is an example of just such  inflammatory posts.

If you love Thailand, great.  Others don't, so all it says to me when you  constantly cannot allow others their opinions, insult them and try to censor them, is that you really aren't that secure in your views.

In fact I would would surmise from your defense methods  that   you may have vested interests that will suffer if foreigners do not come to Thailand.

My opinion on the topic  is as long as I am not  legally mandated equal member of the culture, I cannot pretend to be happy in it.

Edited by EBlair48
  • Like 2

I have been here for 10 years. Mostly in CHiang Mai.

I have found the Thais are becoming just like the Australians I left. To much money makes people very boring.

I had a relationship similar to this and for me she was content and happy she had a good man. I finished it because it was just not fun. Up to you.

I live in the central area of Thailand and will spend the next 12 months finding out how to get myself, the car and my dogs into another country. Thinking Vietnam.

Having spoken to many other people from neighboring countries they all come out with the same saying when Thailand is mentioned.

"Please do not Thai to me." is the common statement.

All the interesting people have left and it always seems to be the ones that come to Thailand to do the same as they did in their own country that defend it.

Get married and have kids and pretend it is better here.  Next you will find them telling you how sport should be more entertaining and their government should be giving them something.

Need some creativity and cannot get it here anymore.

Bye all, Enjoy your repetiveness.

• Like 1

So what part of Steve Fong's  post is,  " false ...overly negative"? Seems to be an honest well written  opinion of why the member  does not particularly think Thailand is as great a place as it is made out to be. It brings something to my table.

I'd like to address your posts on this subject in every thread that do nothing but denigrate in transparent attempts to simply invalidate contrary opinion through  personal  psychoanalysis which is actually against forum rules if you want to be fair. "no one likes you here.... without a  friend...." is an example of just such  inflammatory posts.

If you love Thailand, great.  Others don't, so all it says to me when you  constantly cannot allow others their opinions, insult them and try to censor them, is that you really aren't that secure in your views.

In fact I would would surmise from your defense methods  that   you may have vested interests that will suffer if foreigners do not come to Thailand.

My opinion on the topic  is as long as I am not  legally mandated equal member of the culture, I cannot pretend to be happy in it.

A few examples of his anti Thai attitude that I think is overly negative. 

Example #1.  I had to wear ear plugs when I walked outside, and I always wore sunglasses due to the real risk of eye damage from flying pollutants and road particles. 

#2.  I dont care what people say, Thailand, is not a healthy place.

#3.  where it is ok to  fling someone off a balcony, and as long as they arent thai, no one cares.

#4.  women in the USA to turn their faces in disgust when you tell them you just spent a few months in Thailand.

#5.  I will return to Thailand, if and when I forget how horrible it is to live there,

#6.  there is no way I am going to live like an animal in bangkok, with no grass to walk on anywhere, and the inability to ride a bicycle without inhaling pollution and dodging cars.

The guy had supposedly had a couple of weeks vacation in Thailand and became obsessed and now is ranting in almost every post with his anti Thai blather. 

I don't think Thai Visa is an appropriate forum to continually discuss the merits of living in the US as opposed to Thailand.  He was here, failed at living here and went home.  OK good.  The constant negative click baiting anti promotion is getting old.  Negative stereotypes are just that, stereotypes.  If he has something specific to complain about let him start a thread about it instead of polluting every thread with false generalizations. 

For your information my business has no need of Farang coming to Thailand; it sells oil and gas products made in Thailand and shipped to other countries.  I live in a town where there are no Farang and I never eat at Farang restaurants or go to Farang bars.  So I have no vested interests that depend on tourism or real estate.  

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 2

Example #1.  I had to wear ear plugs when I walked outside, and I always wore sunglasses due to the real risk of eye damage from flying pollutants and road particles. 

#3.  where it is ok to  fling someone off a balcony, and as long as they arent thai, no one cares.

#4.  women in the USA to turn their faces in disgust when you tell them you just spent a few months in Thailand.

#5.  I will return to Thailand, if and when I forget how horrible it is to live there,

#6.  there is no way I am going to live like an animal in bangkok, with no grass to walk on anywhere, and the inability to ride a bicycle without inhaling pollution and dodging cars.

The guy had a couple of weeks vacation in Thailand and became obsessed and now is ranting in almost every post with his anti blather. 

I don't think Thai Visa is an appropriate forum to continually discuss the merits of living in the US as opposed to Thailand.  He was here, failed at living here and went home.  OK good.  The constant negative click baiting anti promotion is getting old.  Negative stereotypes are just that, stereotypes.  If he has something specific to complain about let him start a thread about it instead of polluting every thread with false generalizations. 

false generalizing is what you just did with my very specific reasons for disliking the polluted open air flea market whore house that is bangkok

was that clearer to your diseased interpretation of english?

also, your math skills are very thai, do you work for TAT>|?

I was there a full 6 months, and have a friend there from NYC who is there 15 years showing me around,''

i know a shithole when i see one, you apparently think it is a nice ass?

Edited by SteveFong

The guy had supposedly had a couple of weeks vacation in Thailand and became obsessed and now is ranting in almost every post with his anti blather. 

Whoops sorry duplicate post as below

Edited by EBlair48

The guy had supposedly had a couple of weeks vacation in Thailand and became obsessed and now is ranting in almost every post with his anti blather. 

Dismal safety within Thailand  is not a false generalization. You invalidate other's perfectly valid observations  based on nothing but your subjective contrary opinions.

I find censorship to be a worse pollutant than just about anything.

Apparently you are the expert on Shitholes....

Florida:

Pollution[edit]

In 2010 there were, in the state, 44 federal Superfund sites, 101 brownfields, 13,527 petroleum cleanups and more than 3,000 other sites with dry-cleaning fluids or other hazardous waste.[25]

Because of its marine origins, Florida soil is naturally high in phosphorus.[26] Coupled with fertilizer, this often has resulted in excessive phosphorus in water runoff to nearby bodies of water. As a result, Florida has required certain municipalities to limit the application of fertilizer containing phosphorus.[27]

In addition to Sinkholes, Hurricanes, High crime rate, Elderly driving into Burger Kings or on sidewalks killing people ......etc.

So you see Stevefong aka Scarpolo your paradise is someone else's shithole.....life is what you make of it. Sadly you seem to have made nothing of yours and are intent on trashing others who have found happiness. Others have indicated that this happiness some have found is "pretend" (Naise} ....nothing pretend about it....you just never found it your self. Too Bad

false generalizing is what you just did with my very specific reasons for disliking the polluted open air flea market whore house that is bangkok

was that clearer to your diseased interpretation of english?

also, your math skills are very thai, do you work for TAT>|?

I was there a full 6 months, and have a friend there from NYC who is there 15 years showing me around,''

You wrote, "the polluted open air flea market whore house that is bangkok."  That is a false generalization. 

Also referring to Thailand you wrote, "i know a shithole when i see one,"

The photo below is also in Bangkok.  Some people see poop like you and others see parks like me. 

+1.  I don't understand the hate against the guy.  Maybe some people need a look at themselves before launching an attack against others.

I agree with most of the points he brings up.  Thailand is a country of extremes.  Some things are great, others awful.  Every place has its good and bad points, but I don't know any other country (having lived and worked as a management consultant in probably 15) where this takes such an extreme shape.  Some people can take the annoying things in their stride, others reach boiling point and want to get out.   The ideal situation is having enough money to divide your time between the West and Thailand (and/or other tropical countries).  

I'd like to explain I can be happy in my situation, my job, my home is perfection  I love aspects such as the farmer's market, cheap vegetables and fruits ( pesticide laden, too, perhaps?) but when I have to deal with Thais, like not knowing if that tomato is  hazardous because the laws are not enforced- no one respects the law - it gets very unpleasant.

And also  because I am viewed as  not equal to them. I am 4th tier as explained earlier.

Along with no respect for rules,  there is the  lying which seems to be perfectly acceptable within the culture.

I know it is a western more, and I cannot  fairly apply  my expectations of  honesty to Thai culture but I also really cannot live with that.

It is a compromise I cannot make. And there's the dismal work ethic, again a western more but makes life in Thailand unpleasant. The sidewalks are dangerous because of it. The pollution,mangy dogs and all other nasty aspects  are all symptoms of this Thainess which I find to really be intellectual laziness. We could get into the class system  that I think is a basis for this lack of caring, but to remain on topic..

And yes the safety issues are very very real and have me planning ventures out to minimize my time on the road because it is carnage and police simply cannot enforce laws Oh I could go on and on and I do, in a book I've written as a hobby ( tentatively called Lie- land because I honestly feel the entire culture is really based on a ....well I need to censor those thoughts for now

I want any reader who is contemplating a move to Thailand  to be able to read my opinion and then have an alternative view to make an informed choice.

Edited by EBlair48
  • Like 2

Florida:

Pollution[edit]

In 2010 there were, in the state, 44 federal Superfund sites, 101 brownfields, 13,527 petroleum cleanups and more than 3,000 other sites with dry-cleaning fluids or other hazardous waste.[25]

Because of its marine origins, Florida soil is naturally high in phosphorus.[26] Coupled with fertilizer, this often has resulted in excessive phosphorus in water runoff to nearby bodies of water. As a result, Florida has required certain municipalities to limit the application of fertilizer containing phosphorus.[27]

In addition to Sinkholes, Hurricanes, High crime rate, Elderly driving into Burger Kings or on sidewalks killing people ......etc.

So you see Stevefong aka Scarpolo your paradise is someone else's shithole.....life is what you make of it. Sadly you seem to have made nothing of yours and are intent on trashing others who have found happiness. Others have indicated that this happiness some have found is "pretend" (Naise} ....nothing pretend about it....you just never found it your self. Too Bad

you are quoting nonsense, and using statistics pertaining to agricultural parts of florida and no the palm beaches and fort lauderdale coastal areas

I do not share your view of life, nor, do I share your meaning of happiness

You wouldnt know the difference so there is no point arguing, as your intent on a statistic that covers orange groves

meas nothing to the beach areas and, someone using the name beach,

should know that

I want any reader who is contemplating a move to Thailand  to be able to read my opinion and then have an alternative view to make an informed choice.

I understand what you have written and might even applaud it if you will answer one question.  Why do you want people to read your opinion about Thailand?  90% of what anyone reads in the newspapers or hears in the international news media about Thailand is negative why do you want them to read your negative opinion too? 

Florida:

Pollution[edit]

you are quoting nonsense, and using statistics pertaining to agricultural parts of florida and no the palm beaches and fort lauderdale coastal areas

I do not share your view of life, nor, do I share your meaning of happiness

You wouldnt know the difference so there is no point arguing, as your intent on a statistic that covers orange groves

meas nothing to the beach areas and, someone using the name beach,

should know that

Well now....its funny how you can generalize about all of Thailand being a shithole when you were only here for six months spending your time in Bangkok and Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai with your "soapy princess" visiting malls and high end restaurants.

Now that the shoe is on the other foot ....you cry foul. Funny...somehow I know you wouldn't get the point but your right ....Can't judge a whole state (or country) by the little amount of knowledge you have!