Thai firms urged to register copyrights, patents to forestall overseas piracy

webfact

Clean up your own shit before you tell others to clean up theirs what!

The IPD is not telling anyone to clean their things up, it is advising Thais to copyright their own inventions.  Why should any Thai who has never abused other people's copyrights not be allowed to protect their own interests?  

You should learn to read before you try to post about something way over your head

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Classic stuff....so now they're going to patent "their" original products....good luck with that....!

Attempting to patent something that has aready has patents is a crime...........

Thailand is likened to China......copy and manufacture...only use cheap materials!

"Attempting to patent something that has aready has patents is a crime..."

That's not the advice that is being given at all.  Good luck with learning to read.

This coming from the biggest copyright thieves and pirates on the planet.  We can copy your stuff but don't touch thai stuff because it's not fair.

Has Thailand actually invented/developed anything that the world would want?  Pad Thai is the only thing I can think of but I may be wrong as it might be pirated

Phad Thai is pirated all over the world. It represents a huge industrial crisis for Thailand. The loss of revenue the country faces, by not having the worldwide pad thai franchising rights, is enormous. Lets start a movement trying to make the government aware of this loss of revenue. It is crippling the country. 

It's interesting that out of 33 posts so far, with 2 exceptions, not one of the posters has either read the OP well enough to understand what is being advised to Thais, or in those posters supreme ignorance choose not to acknowledge what is being said and just try to take the piss out of a very reasonable report.

The report is not giving advice to Thai copyright pirates.

I worked with a Thai guy for a while who was convinced he could patent a venturi scrubber for VOC.

He was quite disappointed that it had been patented in Europe quite a long time ago.

All well and good for Thai businesses to patent things. Not sure they understand how innovation really works.

This coming from the biggest copyright thieves and pirates on the planet.  We can copy your stuff but don't touch thai stuff because it's not fair.

Has Thailand actually invented/developed anything that the world would want?  Pad Thai is the only thing I can think of but I may be wrong as it might be pirated

Its a Vietnamese dish.

damn even the food is pirated.

I never reply to most posts here but sometimes we are keen to knock the Thai people and sometimes we shouldn't You asked for a Thai patented product. Look at this  http://www.elidefire.com/ Mind you it is a tad expensive. Can't get everything right!

That is one useful invention that if proven effective in real life situations may save countless lives and property.

Are there any more of such Thai inventions?

I have asked the Thai apologists for years to publish a list of Thai recipients of Nobel prize recipients (in any discipline) and the names and inventions that can make of this a better world. Elide Fireball is certainly one important invention.

Once, someone told me "what do you ask of Thailand, this is small country!" My reply was: "so is England  and that country gave us the industrial revolution and more: from Fulton's steam powered engine to the flushing toilet: the Crapper." The Thai apologist did not know who Thomas Fulton was.

Correction: Robert Fulton was born in colonial America. But Jonathan Hulls, in 1737, secured British patents on another form. William Henry had put his little boat on the Conastoga River in 1763.All  steam powered.

The flushing toilet was invented by John Harrington in 1596. Joseph Bramah of Yorkshire patented the first practical water closet in England in 1778.
Thomas Crapper, was responsible for perfecting it and popularizing it, Crapper and Sons received royal commendations for the quality of the products and ease of operation.
Since, the Crapper  has been synonymous with Water  Closet. 

One minor problem. I have sent several emails to IP lawyers in Hua Hin and Bangkok in an effort to patent my inventions and I have never received a reply.
Although it is true that I am a nut case they can't possibly know that yet. So I am curious that no one even cares to look at what I have. The good thing about that is that no one here wants to steal my ideas. That's actually why I came to Thailand, I find people here tend to be honest. (Except for the tourist zone if they think you are a tourist.555)
Sorry sir I will not be registering my patents because I don't have any.

Don't forget Bum Guns lol

But I've got to agree, the idea of Thailand trying to copyright it's own stuff while copying everyone elses badly & selling it "tok tok" (cheap cheap) is laughable...

bull ..this is the starting phase of getting ready for the TPP, Thailand will be badly damaged if they join this obscene partnership in 2015/16 (thailand still has the chance to say no...all the other Countrys have signed up)

what so many dont understand even if they know of the TPP is that international commercial copyright etc has power over a Country's LAWS AND SOVEREIGNTY ...thailand will never be out of the courts

You keep repeating this, but you can't make it fact. Thailand is not a party to the TPP talks, will not even be eligible to be a member, and no, not "all the other countrys have signed up" - about half the countries that matter have.

You will not help your campaign against the TPP by posting ridiculous propaganda about it, which is easily disproved. Stick to the facts, and you'll find all kinds of reasons to point out the flaws of this silly trade proposal.

Facts such as that President Obama personally tried to convince Yingluck into joining the TPP talks, and failed. Facts such as that China is excluded no matter what. Facts such as that Thailand has no dog in the TPP fight, will not sign up, and does not have to say "no" because it's not even in a position to say "yes". Thailand's has zero official relations to the TPP, does not participate in its secret talks and has show no interest - by any government or junta - in joining TPP.

The IPD is not telling anyone to clean their things up, it is advising Thais to copyright their own inventions.  Why should any Thai who has never abused other people's copyrights not be allowed to protect their own interests?  

You should learn to read before you try to post about something way over your head

Actually this ill-informed article is trying lamely to report that the IPD is recommending that Thai firms and people patent and register trademarks. It has nothing to do with copyright, the silly headline writer only drawing attention to a story that goes from partly right to wrong and back and forth again and again.

Thais do not have to register copyrights any more than anyone else - meaning, not at all, including the story itself, which is copyright but not registered.

But companies and people who don't pay attention to the legalities of patents and trademarks have been ripped off for millions and will be ripped off for more - until the IPD's advice sinks in.

Edited by wandasloan

Thailand is the eighth Asean nation to accede to the treaty, ahead of Cambodia and Myanmar.

Beat 'em.

Love it. Thailand lagged just about every country in SE Asia except for the basket cases of Cambodia and Myanmar...........and still brags about it.

Nothing like setting your standards high.

Some bigwig was claiming the Thais owned Songkran.

But I bet none of you knows that the ubiquitous device in hotel rooms where you insert the card to turn on the lights was patented by a Thai?

It is now out of patent, I believe.

United States Patent 5305952

French, I think. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bidet

The only truly Thai invention I know is the mental state known as "mai bpen rai".

The ubiquitous "bum gun" as it is known in Thailand has been in use in North American kitchen sinks for decades.

A simple glance at the photo will tell why. It is useful for rinsing dishes. 

[attachment=278897:8-with-Cabinet.jpg]

The Asians took it to the next level in their bathrooms and succeeded in eliminating the use of toilet paper in many bathrooms and instead moved the toilet paper to the kitchen dining table (or floor).  Toilet paper and septic tanks aren't a good combination and bum guns get the work done more smoothly.

Edited by ratcatcher
  • Like 1

But I've got to agree, the idea of Thailand trying to copyright it's own stuff while copying everyone elses badly & selling it "tok tok" (cheap cheap) is laughable...

oh yea the bum guns forgot about them,  point them up your rear end and watch your intestines leave your mouth.  I am sure there are many farangs trying to register this invention.

Even products sold in the domestic market have been copied and sold overseas. If companies want to expand to other countries, they may be unable to do so because foreign players or pirates may have already registered their knockoffs. Well, what a turnup for the books.