Best small city car; Brio, March or Mirage

BOOKEMDANO

Com'on kids ,you want a small car ?Buy the one you like,they are all roughly same.bit more here a bit less there,who cares.We got a Mirage just because we like the shape and the color and the very small turning circle for the U turns and a few more things we like. :))

• Like 1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bookem...... Your use of a cartoon of HH the Dalai Lama shows much disrespect and deep cultural insensitivity. It is insulting to you and profoundly embarrassing to you.

Please use a different image, not of His Holiness as some kind of avatar. YOU are not His Holiness.

It is acceptable to publish a good photo of HH the Dalai Lama as a reminder to Buddhists of Him, but not a photo as an avatar which places you quite unjustifiably as an equal of Him.

Please show some respect.

This is acceptable, but not placed as an avatar......

post-206558-0-15397100-1408109044.jpg

Edited by KhnomKhnom

Ok, I work on cars on a daily basis here in Thailand, so I know about them mechanically and from a drivers point of view. An earlier poster suggested the suzuki swift, and I would second that. It is the best car for the money. However if you have already decided on one of the 3 mentioned then...

Safety: They are all budget cars, and as such anything you hit which is larger than them (which is pretty much any other car), they will fold up like a deck of cards. They are all designed to absorb a low speed impact consistent with city driving, but anything approaching highway speeds, and you are toast. Winner = whatever you hit.

Load capacity: Again they are all very similar, although I think the March has the most versatility when it comes to folding down the seats to increase capacity. Winner: close but edge given to the March.

Fuel economy is pretty much on par in the city between all three cars. If you take longer trips the Brio edges it given that it can travel at highway speeds at lower RPM. Winner: just, the brio.

Having worked on all three cars the least problematic is the March.

Like I said earlier though you should choose the Suzuki Swift. It will beat hands down the other three except on fuel consumption, but even that is very close. It is a better car capable of longer trips without feeling like you have been in a boxing ring for 5 rounds.

• Like 2

Just my opinion but... the Yaris would be my first choice. Then the March. But I found that the Mitz did not age well at all and finding third party parts for it a pain. The Swift is a great choice too as is the Ford (Fiesta) or the Focus. But you cannot beat Toyota for reliability or the Nissan (now part of Renault). I did not like the Juke at all. Think that the rear space is a bit small as is the Yaris as well. But such is the fact with subcompacts. The Ford has the most space in my opinion. But then again it depends upon your needs in that regard. Gas mileage is consistent between all of the cars I have mentioned (around 30 miles per gallon). But i would stay away from the Mitz. I just find them not as good as the others and with kids... well... the car just does not age well. I have had 2 in my day with a wife and kids. Seats wore out with normal wear and replacing parts (brakes for example) I had to go to Mitz to have them do the work and use their parts which were expensive because of the branding). Toyota and the rest much easier to take care of.

I don't like any of these cars. I've driven them all and think they're terrible cheap cars. My recommendations is to go up a class. Mazda 2, Ford Fiesta and the best choice, the Honda Jazz. Yes, more money but I always say ouch once instead of driving these cheap cars. The Suzuki is also better than all these. Not my cup of tea but a better choice for the same money. I drive a Mazda 2.

I don't like any of these cars. I've driven them all and think they're terrible cheap cars. My recommendations is to go up a class. Mazda 2, Ford Fiesta and the best choice, the Honda Jazz. Yes, more money but I always say ouch once instead of driving these cheap cars. The Suzuki is also better than all these. Not my cup of tea but a better choice for the same money. I drive a Mazda 2.

If fuel economy is a concern, one would not choose the mazda 2. It uses a lot relative to its HP. Only selection of mazda 2 would be base model MT for a bit of fun. It needs a cvt to be more economical (than the AT). I have a suzuki swift. It's plenty good enough for 100-120 km/h and driving around BKK. I didn't look closely at the yaris, but there is less cost cutting in the suzuki than the others, albeit it's a little more expensive. I test drove the brio - engine is fine (similar to swift), but I preferred to spend a bit more and get better interior/design/size of the swift. The suspension of the brio seems quite soft for hard cornering. The swift seems more planted, judging by some youtube videos where they were tested. They all seem to suffer from thinner bodies - so more noise intrusion, but that is to be expected in this class. Plenty of modifications are available for these eco cars too - certainly much more than for my civic:)

The jazz would be a good choice in that class. I found the fiesta more cramped than the suzuki - and there is little space in the rear for tall passengers. If I was spending that kind of money I'd just spend a bit more and get a new mazda 3.

• Like 1

If fuel economy is a concern, one would not choose the mazda 2. It uses a lot relative to its HP. Only selection of mazda 2 would be base model MT for a bit of fun. It needs a cvt to be more economical (than the AT). I have a suzuki swift. It's plenty good enough for 100-120 km/h and driving around BKK. I didn't look closely at the yaris, but there is less cost cutting in the suzuki than the others, albeit it's a little more expensive. I test drove the brio - engine is fine (similar to swift), but I preferred to spend a bit more and get better interior/design/size of the swift. The suspension of the brio seems quite soft for hard cornering. The swift seems more planted, judging by some youtube videos where they were tested. They all seem to suffer from thinner bodies - so more noise intrusion, but that is to be expected in this class. Plenty of modifications are available for these eco cars too - certainly much more than for my civic:)

The jazz would be a good choice in that class. I found the fiesta more cramped than the suzuki - and there is little space in the rear for tall passengers. If I was spending that kind of money I'd just spend a bit more and get a new mazda 3.

We would all like the Mazda 3 but it's double the cost of these eco cars, a completely different price range.

• 2 weeks later...

One last feedback on my brio amaze. Drove to nakhon ratchasima 600km round trip. No top up of fuel needed averaged 20.5km to the litre. 35l tank means could have done 700km at that rate

Are you sure it's 35L My swift tank is 45L. 35L sounds quite small.

Yes, I was 'amazed' by the 35l tank too. Keeps the weight down I suppose but with the small engine and economy it's OK. Personally I would have bought the swift but I see too many of them on the road and I need extra boot space to fit my family's luggage in for holidays around the country.

Yes, I was 'amazed' by the 35l tank too. Keeps the weight down I suppose but with the small engine and economy it's OK. Personally I would have bought the swift but I see too many of them on the road and I need extra boot space to fit my family's luggage in for holidays around the country.

OK that's fair enough if you need to luggage space. I test drove the brio (used it as a taxi to get myself home while my civic was getting serviced:) It went well but was simply too small. A rear-ender would have hurt a lot. The economy seems pretty good. I get around 14-15 km/l around Nonthaburi, give or take 1 km/l depending on traffic.

OK that's fair enough if you need to luggage space. I test drove the brio (used it as a taxi to get myself home while my civic was getting serviced:) It went well but was simply too small. A rear-ender would have hurt a lot. The economy seems pretty good. I get around 14-15 km/l around Nonthaburi, give or take 1 km/l depending on traffic.
For city driving it's great. For longer journeys it's great too but as you know if you have an accident at high speed or with a bigger vehicle an eco car will always come out worse. I used to use my older VW for the longer journeys but the gearbox, engine and cooling system have had it so I need a new main car too when I have the money.

I bought a Brio (hatch) for my wife and it's great. Park anywhere (almost), fuel efficient, and has everything you would want from a small city car.

The AC does the job of keeping the windows mist free, it's not a problem sir.

Good luck

I bought a Brio (hatch) for my wife and it's great. Park anywhere (almost), fuel efficient, and has everything you would want from a small city car.

Good luck

Ok,thx for the reply sir. smile.png I have seen many other cars too without the window setting in Thailand. I quess lack of window vent is only a problem in colder climate countries.

Good luck

Ok,thx for the reply sir. smile.png I have seen many other cars too without the window setting in Thailand. I quess lack of window vent is only a problem in colder climate countries.

It gets quite cold in some parts, such as the mountains in the north in the cool season, for example. I've had mist on my window in Bkk, but only a couple of times on some cold mornings. The windscreen vent would be quite useful there.

B

The Swift is the only Eco car in Thailand that could be called a decent car, the rest are simply rubbish.

BoIIox

OK. I will confess that I've not driven the new Yaris and it does look quite a nice car, but I can confirm that the rest are cheap crap.

Chose the new March 14 months and 14k km ago, as the 440kbaht model had 2 airbags, and abs.

Been amazed at how gutsy it is for such a small engine and have done 4-up Chiang mai-Bangkok a couple of times.

An idiot backed an old pick-up into it so it needed a new back fender section.

That came up from Bangkok, ready to spray to match- whole job at main dealer 5000 baht, paid by her insurance.

Cracking little car- we are thrilled with it. Get about 17km/l around city.

B

The Swift is the only Eco car in Thailand that could be called a decent car, the rest are simply rubbish.

BoIIox
OK. I will confess that I've not driven the new Yaris and it does look quite a nice car, but I can confirm that the rest are cheap crap.

They are eco cars not super cars. They fit the purpose very well. If I was in the UK I would choose a more interesting car. But as a A to B car the Mirage is great. It even provides some fun being so small.

B

BoIIox
They are eco cars not super cars. They fit the purpose very well. If I was in the UK I would choose a more interesting car. But as a A to B car the Mirage is great. It even provides some fun being so small.
Exactly. Which is why the Swift is the only option. Why buy a car that is so obviously inferior than the class leader?

B
BoIIox
Exactly. Which is why the Swift is the only option. Why buy a car that is so obviously inferior than the class leader?

Maybe because there are something's you don't like!