Best small city car; Brio, March or Mirage

BOOKEMDANO

Wonder if anybody can share their knowledge about owning either a Brio, March or Mirage?

We need a second car, one that is good for getting around a city (fuel economy is important) but so too is safety. We do have a young baby, and boot (trunk) space is also a factor.

I don't really care much for the aesthetics of the car. As this will be for her as Tesco run, trip to the zoo, kind of car. So:

- safety

- fuel economy

- load capacity

Any suggestions from current owners of the aforementioned cars?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had this very same choice a few months ago. In fact i went for the Attrage, in my view a much better car than the Mirage, and the others. The boot is very big 450 litres compared to the tiny boots on the hatchbacks. Plus the Attrage has all the safety features you could want and with a baby on board a sedan is probably better than a hatchback. Have you seen the back of a Brio. A rear end collision would probably take out the rear seats as well.

Fuel economy is probably similar with all three. They quote 22 kpm but in real life driving around town i get 13-16 kpm, which i think is OK for a CVT petrol car.

The Attrage is very well equipped for an entry level eco car and i think Mitsubhishi have some good promotion deals now. I got 30k off the price, free insurance and a load of freebies.

I did consider the Honda Amaze as well but Honda's attitude to potential buyers sucked so much i wrote them off.

• Like 1

I've had driven a March for awhile...it's everything that you can expect from the ECO car....good fuel economy 14-20 on E20...big interior space etc.

...but if you want a bigger trunk space,get Almera.... wink.png

BTW,have you checked the new Yaris yet?

Edited by funcat

The Brio is the only one of the 3 that's got a 4 cylinder engine (the iVtec from the Jazz, no less).

In my book a 4cyl engine trounces a 3 cyl any day of the week - and of course, the Brio is a Honda...

Rest of the Brio is shit though. No boot space. Crappy plastics!

I test drove the Mirage, March, Brio, Almera, Yaris and Suzuki Swift and settled on the Swift as it was a far superior car IMO.

It has a 4 cylinder engine and is very economical and the only thing I could "fault" it on was the luggage space (it is a hatchback) but the rear seats can fold down individually therefore making more space, yet leaving one rear seat functional.

Drives like a dream, with superb road holding/handling.

The Brio is the only one of the 3 that's got a 4 cylinder engine (the iVtec from the Jazz, no less).

In my book a 4cyl engine trounces a 3 cyl any day of the week - and of course, the Brio is a Honda...

Have to agree with that comment! The Brio lacks boot space and is low on features.

I love my Nissan March (as second car). Economic (17 km/l), proper boot space, easy parking and fun to drive around town.

"Rest of the Brio is shit" - Wow that's one hell of a statement - But total nonsense - The rest of the car is also Honda made - Honda's reliability, resale value and build quality is legendary....

Boot space ? - its not a limo, it's a small city car that's a doddle to park and the boot is big enough for a weeks shopping for me and my Wife - and the rear seat drops down if you need a bit more room.

Interior plastics ? - i'd say querky, prob not as good as some, but a FOUR cyl i Vetec engine is one hell of a trade off (the Honda i Vetec engine is widely accepted as one of the best engines in it's class). You'll know this when you need to nip out onto a busy dual carriageway and need to some extra "umph", which a 3 cyl engine wouldn't have.

Me and my Wife were looking for a small reliable 2nd car and test drove the Honda, Nissan and Mitsubishi.....Taking everything into account, the Honda won by a country mile.

Edited by brio

"Rest of the Brio is shit" - Wow that's one hell of a statement - But total nonsense - The rest of the car is also Honda made - Honda's reliability, resale value and build quality is legendary....

Boot space ? - its not a limo, it's a small city car that's a doddle to park and the boot is big enough for a weeks shopping for me and my Wife - and the rear seat drops down if you need a bit more room.

Interior plastics ? - i'd say querky, prob not as good as some, but a FOUR cyl i Vetec engine is one hell of a trade off (the Honda i Vetec engine is widely accepted as one of the best engines in it's class). You'll know this when you need to nip out onto a busy dual carriageway and need to some extra "umph", which a 3 cyl engine wouldn't have.

Me and my Wife were looking for a small reliable 2nd car and test drove the Honda, Nissan and Mitsubishi.....Taking everything into account, the Honda won by a country mile.

How is the fuel economy in your eco Brio?

So is it " - Honda's reliability, resale value and build quality is legendary...." or is it " Interior plastics ? - i'd say querky, prob not as good as some" can't have it both ways. The Brio I saw at the motor show had poor quality built to a cost plastics inside the cabin. It also had a disgusting tan interior. The Amaze one year later had a slight update. But not much. It also had cheap interior, so much so that I almost cut my finger while checking out the plastic around the glove box. But hey it's got a good engine. Yes. The rest is shit!

I mean look at the interior picture there are about 5 different shades of plastic from baby puke tan to diarrhea brown!

post-195835-14079918318449_thumb.jpg

I mean look at the interior picture there are about 5 different shades of plastic from baby puke tan to diarrhea brown!

ahh bless him, he's been on the internet, up loaded a photo to bung on here.....i bet yer missus don't realise how lucky she is.....

Very lucky. We got a Mitsubishi Mirage. Comfortable. Economical and loads of space inside .. oh and no tan trim!

Also slightly misleading to say it's the same engine as the Jazz!

Edited by casualbiker
  • Like 1

ahh bless him, he's been on the internet, up loaded a photo to bung on here.....i bet yer missus don't realise how lucky she is.....

Very lucky. We got a Mitsubishi Mirage. Comfortable. Economical and loads of space inside .. oh and no tan trim!

I think he means it's as un-economical as a Jazz. I drove a company Freed for a year. 1.5 i vtec blah blah blah..... lucky to get 10 or 11kms per litre in mostly highway conditions. Rest of the one's in the fleet were the same. My diesel does way better than that.

Out of that I would choose the Amaze (Brio Saloon) because of the 4 cyl engine.

Out of the 3 cyl engine cars, I would choose the Attrage, much bigger inside, and much bigger boot, than it looks.

Last week when in Thailand I hired a March. Found no problem with the 3 cylinder engine. Really quite nippy. I think though the March lacks refinement and in this segment I would prefer the Swift

misleading ??

not according to "Top Gear" magazine, who say:

"The Brio features the same 1.2-litre engine as in the Jazz"

and " the 87bhp, 1.2-litre VTEC (the Jazz unit) makes light work of the Brio's 920kg kerb weight"

and talking of "Top Gear" magazine - a road test on the Mirage:

http://www.topgear.com/uk/mitsubishi/mirage/verdict

And "Top Gear" Magazine's road test on the Brio:

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/honda-brio-road-test-2012-03-19

Edited by properperson

misleading ??

not according to "Top Gear" magazine, who say:

"The Brio features the same 1.2-litre engine as in the Jazz"

and " the 87bhp, 1.2-litre VTEC (the Jazz unit) makes light work of the Brio's 920kg kerb weight"

and talking of "Top Gear" magazine - a road test on the Mirage:

http://www.topgear.com/uk/mitsubishi/mirage/verdict

And "Top Gear" Magazine's road test on the Brio:

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/honda-brio-road-test-2012-03-19

This is Thailand the Jazz has a 1500cc engine here!

They are correct about the seats in the Mirage .. cheap and nasty. ..800b at the seat shop sorted it though. The rest. Nope don't agree. The steering from brand new was a bit vague. Couple of thousand kms on the tyres sorted that.

Edited by casualbiker
  • Like 1

2/10 ain't bad though, just think how you'd feel if it had only got 1/10..............

If you always buy things based on other people's thoughts, more fool you.

For the price equipment level, general ride. I'm very happy with the Mirage.

If your happy with a Brio then great. I still think the interior of the Brio is terrible and could not live with it!

They are correct about the seats in the Mirage .. cheap and nasty. ..800b at the seat shop sorted it though. The rest. Nope don't agree. The steering from brand new was a bit vague. Couple of thousand kms on the tyres sorted that.

The Brio has the same i Vtec engine as the Jazz, just a different engine capacity.

Having read the Mirage test drive posted above, i'm so glad we went for the Brio.

A pretty damming test report in my book.

The Brio has the same i Vtec engine as the Jazz, just a different engine capacity.

Having read the Mirage test drive posted above, i'm so glad we went for the Brio.

A pretty damming test report in my book.

so tell us, how is your gas mileage in your eco brio?

None of those are really big enough to have natural gas installed - at least i never see one at the pump. I have a larger size toyota with NG. It cost about 170 bahts for a full tank that takes me about 180-200 klms. That is the cheapest cost/klm in the world. It is even cheaper than the American Tesla all electric car.

I have the honda brio amaze top model at 520k. I'm not spoilt for luxury or extras but I chose it for the reasonable price, abs, driver and passenger airbags and boot space. I can get two full size suitcases in easily. Even had a set of ladders in it yesterday measuring two meters in height (passenger seat folded down). The legroom is great due to the seats design. Fuel economy in stop go traffic I get about 12.5 but longer journey I get between 16-18km per liter. Speed is OK goes 135/140 easily but you will struggle we going near 145. Acceleration is quite poor though, wish I got the manual gearbox on reflection but it isn't as good for resale. Finally the steering is as light as a feather.

I've driven a March for 16,000 km and am very satisfied with perfromance and service. I read a "safety' report that had something negative about the Mirage. Suggest you also take a look at the Celerio which I believe is the cheapest of the small cars. Brother-in-law bought one a month ago and loves it.

I have had a Honda Jazz for the past 5 years and I highly recommend it although it is a little more expensive then the models you mentioned. The cheapest automatic is around B 630,000 but they offer a manual for B 590,000