Extension of 2nd year ED denied at Immigration CM

Shut up ggt. Unless you were there when she tested me?

I clearly wrote that i said my Thai reading and writing is at the level of a 5 year old. You still seem to struggle at reading comprehension yourself. Seems you were too busy in judging-people-for-no-reason classes?

Ah ah ah ..... i know again why i avoided TV for such a long time. And for the exact same reason i'm outta here again. What a joke this place is

never mind the keyboard warriors, pinch of salt and all that. ggt is obviously one those self righteous I have my head so far up my arse I can't read what I am trying to read kind of person

• Like 1

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been told that immigration are only extending ED visa for 3 months at a time now and not for 12 months like before .. It doesn't sound like to much inconvenience as you have to report every 90 days/3 months anyway ..but it's now an extension not a report has anyone els heard of this

It is the new rules, you can take the time to read this forum.

Extension is Bt 1,900, not free like reporting.

After one year you will have to leave country and get a new visa.

I'm telling ya - Dominican Republic! This time next year I will be there. $23 USD for a NINE MONTH overstay, and they are VERY happy to see you turn right around and do it all over again. Spanish is a MUCH easier language to learn, the girls are plentiful, eager to please and much more diverse - Latin AND Hatian girls all fighting for your attention ($$$). Just no soapies . . . heavy sigh . . .

• Like 1

I have been told that immigration are only extending ED visa for 3 months at a time now and not for 12 months like before .. It doesn't sound like to much inconvenience as you have to report every 90 days/3 months anyway ..but it's now an extension not a report has anyone els heard of this

See: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/750734-the-new-extension-rules-for-people-studying/

• Like 1

Woud this mean that if one is studying Spanish, for example, he would still be tested onThai---and even if he had not studied Thai?..........

All I know is that someone reported that they were learning Japanese, but were tested in Thai because the immigration officers don't speak Japanese..

I am learning Chinese, but all my conversations about extending my ED visa are in Thai.... no-one in Phuket Immigration speaks Chinese.

It sounds mad, but these are the end-user reports!

the tomboy looking one in the back yes on the right hand side got me this time. first time I had to deal with her

the one in front of her also came to her desk at one time and they both started to chant together "go back laos!!!!!" amazing thailand-moment that was for sure

Don't worry mate. I fully understand you. I am at my close to retirement age and learning Thai last 6 month.

I know the pain...ok?

If you will find some sick criticism then just ignore them.

They are probably born to be like that and never even try to learn

anything.

I also know 3 languages but Thai is just hard to understand spoken words even if you can read it and speak a little.

To be honest I still have my ed visa valid for next year untill March but if they want to cancell it ...well...bye bye school .

I am fed up with this type if treating and going back to Australia to make some money and re arrange my plans for the future.

I already spent to much money here and will not risk another investment for the country where i can not feel safe and specialy in my older age.

I just loosing grip on Thailand.

It is not the only place in the world.

I love this country people but i do not think they love me the same even with my investment.

Let's see what future will show.

• Like 1

To be honest I still have my ed visa valid for next year untill March but if they want to cancell it ...well...bye bye school .

I am fed up with this type if treating and going back to Australia to make some money and re arrange my plans for the future.

I already spent to much money here and will not risk another investment for the country where i can not feel safe and specialy in my older age.

I love this country people but i do not think they love me the same even with my investment.

To be blunt, you really call 30,000 Bath an year for a Thai course an "investment" ? Maybe a "small investment", as that is a weekly salary in your home country.

You're close to retirement age but can't show THB 800,000 in a bank ?

You excpect to be loved for "investment" - again which one exactly, the one of your time ?

Edited by paz

I just extended my education visa for another year on Friday for Payap University. Waiting my turn took the most time. Once I got to see the lady who handles education visas it only took 5 min. Another 5 min for the photo and about 3 min to wait for my visa to be returned to me. I think this is the fastest they have ever worked for a one year extension. While I always fear immigration, I've never had any problems with them.They are always professional and courteous to me.

I strongly suspect that your disappointment at immigration is less about your ability in composing grammatically correct Thai and more about your ability, or lack thereof, to say the right thing. Try to steer any conversation with an immigration official towards food if they are female or premier league football if they are male. Practise a few phrases and bring them out at the right time and Bob will be your mother's brother. Or to quote a Thai expression....Bob ja pen phii chai mae.

I just extended my education visa for another year on Friday for Payap University. Waiting my turn took the most time. Once I got to see the lady who handles education visas it only took 5 min. Another 5 min for the photo and about 3 min to wait for my visa to be returned to me. I think this is the fastest they have ever worked for a one year extension. While I always fear immigration, I've never had any problems with them.They are always professional and courteous to me.

Also you don't study Thai, do you ?

I'm telling ya - Dominican Republic! This time next year I will be there. $23 USD for a NINE MONTH overstay, and they are VERY happy to see you turn right around and do it all over again. Spanish is a MUCH easier language to learn, the girls are plentiful, eager to please and much more diverse - Latin AND Hatian girls all fighting for your attention ($$$). Just no soapies . . . heavy sigh . . .

Brother in Law in Texas looking for places to retire, and has considered Panama, Belize, and Ecuador. We spend 1/2 our time in Thailand as my wife is Thai. If it got more and more difficult, we might sell out, and the wife might return every 5 years or so for a month.

We have never had trouble in immigration, but for sure, upcountry is really easy compared to Bangkok, and they are nice and helpful as well (Mukdahan).

OP, I think I've met the immigration officer you're referring too! She is evil. In fact CM is the worst immigration place I've had to visit by far.

That is not my experience at all when dealing with staff at CM immigration. The staff handling retirement visas have consistently been efficient and polite. The problem with ED visas is that my in large it is a scam and everyone knows it is a scam. I came to Thailand 3 years ago with the intention of learning the language, but I am 70 years old and will long be dead before I could hold down a conversation that has to do with more than ordering food in a restaurant. Forty years also, when working in Ethiopia, I made an attempt to learn Amharic. Like Thai, it is a language with it's own alphabet and spoken only in Ethiopia. Yes, perhaps a nice academic exercise, but to what end for both sides?

I think a much more production approach would be to establish really competent schools to teach ESL and get more farang good, solid training in teaching Thais English including 10-15 hours in small conversation groups. I think that it would also be more conducive to farang learning Thai if they want to.

• Like 1

Also you don't study Thai, do you ?

MBA

Flexibility well and good.
But the granting of ED visas should not be dependent on the whim of immigration officers.
Some get their extension without problems, while others are tested adhoc, and others need to sing the national anthem.
If they want to test the learning progress, then please nationally uniform.
Furthermore, immigration officials, are not trained teachers.
In my opinion, they are not suitable to assess the learning progress adequately.
  • Like 1

I have lived in CM on tourist visa runs in the beginning. Planning to just stay for a year at first. So they know your face and in my opinion that's not a good thing. You already get a judgemental farang-profit-stamp on your head for taking advantage of their systems.

It was a miracle that I stayed so friendly to her because I was this close to slam her head on that visa stamp until she choked on it.

Kept telling myself she could kick me out in a finger snap and I even had the feeling she was actually trying to get me lose it so that she could do just that.

take note of the date and start filling your calendar in with an "X" every 28 days and avoid immigration for +-3 days round each "X"

Immigration had a point...after a year of supposedly learning the Thai language...one should be able to impress immigration that you are above a 5 year olds level of comprehension...you have been caught with your pants down...best to actually go to school this time...if they allow you another attempt at the ED visa...

5year old? http://www.superduperinc.com/handouts/pdf/149_vocabularydevelopment.pdf

2500 WORD

pre Intermediate...ie end of beginners less than 1000 words

In the year 2017 there will be no expats or long term residents under 50 years old left in Thailand. Good for the old man , can keep the young chicks for himself.

Probably by 2017 they will have tightened up on retirement visas, such as increase the age, amount in Bank x 10, stop issuing retirement extensions making you go back to your home country to apply for a retirement visa with police checks etc yearly. So maybe there will only be a few over 50's left.....

Thailand only wants tourists, a month is enough to skin the average falang & the girls will be able to have 12 falang boyfriends smile.png

What a disgraceful statement. Anybody thinking like this about the Thais, shouldn't be here. I wonder how you would react to a Thai, or another foreigner (to your country) referring to your countrymen/women in such a derogatory manner!

• Like 1

In the year 2017 there will be no expats or long term residents under 50 years old left in Thailand. Good for the old man , can keep the young chicks for himself.

Probably by 2017 they will have tightened up on retirement visas, such as increase the age, amount in Bank x 10, stop issuing retirement extensions making you go back to your home country to apply for a retirement visa with police checks etc yearly. So maybe there will only be a few over 50's left.....

Thailand only wants tourists, a month is enough to skin the average falang & the girls will be able to have 12 falang boyfriends smile.png

What a disgraceful statement. Anybody thinking like this about the Thais, shouldn't be here. I wonder how you would react to a Thai, or another foreigner (to your country) referring to your countrymen/women in such a derogatory manner!

Disgraceful ? why. You wait and see how they will change the rules to remove westerners and as to the girls, thats basically true now, with the new system it means they will be less likely to be caught out by their mobile atms. If you expect me to believe young pretty thai girls are with 60 yr old falangs because they love them you need a reality check

For your information I am not ';here' I moved to Laos where they are not racist & generally falangs are treated like others, unlike Thailand.

Edited by axact

Disgraceful ? why. You wait and see how they will change the rules to remove westerners and as to the girls, thats basically true now, with the new system it means they will be less likely to be caught out by their mobile atms. If you expect me to believe young pretty thai girls are with 60 yr old falangs because they love them you need a reality check

For your information I am not ';here' I moved to Laos where they are not racist & generally falangs are treated like others, unlike Thailand.

A word of advice to the OP: review the profile of this now-Laos-based user to see why you have been "tarred with the same brush." I think one should always remember that this is a nation that has never been colonized—and all credit to the Thais too.

is it easier to just marry your girlfriend and give up learning the whole lot ... if u ever go live back home or in another country, your thai learning was a big waiste of time, money, effort, ...

Firstly marrying anybody because you want to live in a country is marrying someone for the wrong reasons. I am never marrying anybody, not making that mistake sorry, and my girlfriend knows it. Secondly, learning a new language boosts confidence, shows intellect and has been shown to slow the onset or even prevent Alzheimer's disease.

^^ even if one borrowed the money for 5 to 7% annual interest to get a retirement visa it's going to be cheaper than the ED or marriage option.

Getting married is like inviting a beaver to come live in a lumberyard.

You better have a lot of wood to sacrifice.

woood to sacrifice....not everyone strays and meets the cleaver

is it easier to just marry your girlfriend and give up learning the whole lot ... if u ever go live back home or in another country, your thai learning was a big waiste of time, money, effort, ...

So it is marriage when looked back after divorce.

Unfortunately CM Immigration treats foreigners like 5-year olds. You have to sit there with your tail between your legs like a naughty person every visit. You have to know exactly what is required for visa extensions etc even though they change these requirements between visits. They omit to call your name from an appointment list that you’ve arranged on-line months prior, even though you've told the girl at the "Information" desk that you've arrived – this has happened to me twice now. They relish in exposing your "faults", and my visa extension was abruptly thrown out the first time, after only 1 minute because I had misunderstood the requirements – which I hasten to add, is easy to do. I had waited 3 months for that appointment too. It really is time that we were treated with more respect and it is about time they fixed the machine that dispenses the numbered tickets. And where on earth do they put all that paperwork?

To be blunt, you really call 30,000 Bath an year for a Thai course an "investment" ? Maybe a "small investment", as that is a weekly salary in your home country.

You excpect to be loved for "investment" - again which one exactly, the one of your time ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

IN REPLY TO PAZ

No I did not expect any love ... I am to old for BS. I just pay and get.

It means you have no imagination or knowledge about what i really said and how much cost is involved to study and to be here ....

I did not mention how much investment I am planning to lodge in any new country hence even your imagination could not ..take it.

From your sarcastic post i can only assume that you have not knowledge about sacrifices people must deal studying foreign cultures and languages.

I just curious if you could spent in 6 month over $10.000 doll just for being overseas to study... would you??? not to mention all time spent and stress.?

It is easy to just seat, read and drink beer and be Judge ...5555....wink.png

Another thing is that investment does not mean always ...money...

For eg. Australia invested in emigrants in 80's and gained a lot valuable people not only from Europe as also around the world....which they helped to faster build better country. They did not had money on arrival but good education and experience in many subjects.

That's Thailand is require now....

Anyway I do not have to show THB 800000 and be annoyed every 3 month and every year to stay here .... I have better options...rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

I hope my post do not need more replies from you..

Otherwise I will have adverse feeling like talking to fish in aquarium. wai2.gif

Have good Thai day.wai.gif

Edited by gigman

***********************************************************************************************************************************

IN REPLY TO PAZ

No I did not expect any love ... I am to old for BS. I just pay and get.

It means you have no imagination or knowledge about what i really said and how much cost is involved to study and to be here ....

I did not mention how much investment I am planning to lodge in any new country hence even your imagination could not ..take it.

From your sarcastic post i can only assume that you have not knowledge about sacrifices people must deal studying foreign cultures and languages.

I just curious if you could spent in 6 month over $10.000 doll just for being overseas to study... would you??? not to mention all time spent and stress.?

It is easy to just seat, read and drink beer and be Judge ...5555....wink.png

Another thing is that investment does not mean always ...money...

For eg. Australia invested in emigrants in 80's and gained a lot valuable people not only from Europe as also around the world....which they helped to faster build better country. They did not had money on arrival but good education and experience in many subjects.

That's Thailand is require now....

Anyway I do not have to show THB 800000 and be annoyed every 3 month and every year to stay here .... I have better options...rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

I hope my post do not need more replies from you..

Otherwise I will have adverse feeling like talking to fish in aquarium. wai2.gif

Have good Thai day.wai.gif

Sorry to break your hopes about having no answer from me.

It's very good that you study and do your best.

My remark was about your unreasonable expectations of "love" or any other form of return in exchange for that and the little money spent. It seems you've realized that by now.

Thailand it's not Australia and it's not the UK, even if 95% of members from these countries always feel the need to name them when trying to make a point, and usually failing in the attempt.

Cheers from the fishbowl.

Edited by paz

• 2 weeks later...

If we applied immigrations test to Thai students for English they would fail.

On my first extension of ED visa in immigration, after 3 months learning, the lady officer started the interview in THAI.

It was about some papers missing in my file, that the school must have forgotten, not the usual self presentation /my name /my nationality/ my hobbies beginners level stuffs.

But in fact she was just trying to scare me, there were no paper missing, it just a fun thing to do for her...

Meanwhile Thai students give blank exam copies and get a "pass"

• Like 1