Did a runner 7 weeks ago. Did not hand in work permit

I was offered a better job 7 weeks ago. Had no time to give notice to my old school. "Did a runner"

I am on a Non B visa based on my work-permit from the old school. Basically I have been here illegally the past 7 weeks as the visa became void when I left my old job.

Problem:

I am about to go to Laos next Sunday but read this on a visa agents site

Enforced by Thai Immigration Nong Khai, Non-Immigrant Visa Type B with Work Permit and you resign before expiration date or it expires, you can cancel the visa at Nong Khai Immigration. Your company must issue a letter confirming the last day of your employment. The cancellation will be done at Thai Immigration Nong Khai Head Office, which is about 2km from the border away. Transfer of stamps from old to new Passport (need confirmation letter from your Embassy) is also done there.

Obviously I can't get that letter from my old school!

Any ideas?

Cloud I safely go to Cambodia and return on a 30 day stamp? Effectively canceling my non B? The go to Laos before the 30 day stamp expires?

Help! Karma has hit me!

Edited by Fullstop

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There have been reports of Nong Kai and other border crossings doing it. If you you don't have the letter they turn you away.

If you get the letter you would be liable for a overstay fine of 20k baht unless they dated it for the date you planned on leaving.

Your best option would be to fly out. They don't turn people away at the airport.

• Like 2

Let's say I flew to Malaysia or Laos. Would I have any problem returning on a Tourist Visa from there? With a cancelled Non B in my passport?

I don't have any other Thai Tourist visas in my passport. I've been here 7 years and my current passport is a new one I got 3 years ago.

Edited by Fullstop

You have been here on an extension of stay (not a visa), that may or may not have been cancelled.

However it doesn't matter, is will be cancelled as you leave, after after which you can get whatever new visa is appropriate.

• Like 1

No problems re-entering.

They can be strict when you apply for a new work permit at the labour office.

It will be in a different Province. Would that make a difference?

No, it depends on the officer you talk to.

If they ask, explain that your employer told you he would cancel your WP. Normally it will be fine without further problems.

• Like 1

This new job is great.. but it's through a crappy agent. He dragging his arse with the paperwork for my new Non B. I told him I'm leaving for Laos this Sunday to get a Tourist visa as I am very nervous about my current situation. Then I would do another trip back to laos when he finally got it all together. (Just waiting on a signature from the school director .. but he's too gutless to hassle him about it)

So this is my plan...

Fly to Phnom Pehn on Saturday and fly back Sunday with a 30 day stamp. Go to Laos within 30 days with my paperwork for my new Non B.

How does that sound?

You can consider if staying at least until your next work permit is approved.

What should be done is checking if your previous employer has cancelled your work permit, and in turn labor office has notified Immigration. Because if they didn't, you are not on overstay.

checking if your previous employer has cancelled your work permit

I did a runner. I can't check with them. Safer to presume that they have.

You would have to check with immigration to know if your extension to stay has been cancelled or not. That is the bottom line. Sorry I don't know how that is done.