proof of address for renewing British passport

• 2 weeks later...

*Bump.

The only official thing I have with my name on it is (Thai) bank accounts. Will a statement from a bank with my address on it do? And what would happen if I had nothing at all with my address in it? Surely I wouldn't be left unable to get a passport?

Edited by Moonrakers

*Bump.

The only official thing I have with my name on it is (Thai) bank accounts. Will a statement from a bank with my address on it do? And what would happen if I had nothing at all with my address in it? Surely I wouldn't be left unable to get a passport?

Here is a more flexible list of what HMPO will accept as proof of name at address in the country of application:

Bank letter with your name and address with attached translation to Thai as below will be ok if less than one year old.

We have contacted our Liverpool Overseas Team on your behalf who has confirmed that you must submit at least one piece of evidence to confirm the address you currently use and it must be dated within the last year. You may choose from the following:

Tax record e.g. letter from tax authority

Educational record e.g. school report

Employment record e.g. official letter from your employer

A letter sent to you from a central, regional or local Government department

National identity card or equivalent (or colour photocopy)

Visa or resident permit (or colour photocopy)

Where none of the above is available consideration may be given to bank statements, utility bills or their equivalents.

Any documents that are not in English must be fully translated by a person who is registered to an official organisation or trade body for translators or employed by a recognised translation company. The translation must be attached to the original document and signed to confirm it is a true copy of the original.

The proof of name at address requirement is an HMPO mandatory condition to prevent 'identity fraud'.

If you cannot prove your address, then no passport application can be made - you would then be required to return to the UK and apply there.

It might be easier for me to just change our rental agreement so my name is on it. Does anybody know what requirements they have for rental agreements? Will a private rental agreement suffice?

What is the person to you that has the name on the rental agreement.

Just a basic rental agreement will be accepted. You can buy blanks of them at stationary stores. Fill it in and have two witnesses sign it.

It might be easier for me to just change our rental agreement so my name is on it. Does anybody know what requirements they have for rental agreements? Will a private rental agreement suffice?

Just a basic rental agreement will be accepted. You can buy blanks of them at stationary stores. Fill it in and have two witnesses sign it.

My (Thai) wife's name is on the rental agreement.

The rental agreement with her name on it and your marriage certificate should be enough. You are living with you wife.

The rental agreement with her name on it and your marriage certificate should be enough. You are living with you wife.

Great, that makes it much easier. Thanks for the help.

Seems a bit of a pointless exercise on their part considering how easy it would be to just make it up.

What they are wanting is proof that your are living in Thailand The exact address is not that relevant since nothing is mailed to you now.

Seems a bit of a pointless exercise on their part considering how easy it would be to just make it up.

What they are wanting is proof that your are living in Thailand The exact address is not that relevant since nothing is mailed to you now.

Oh, I see. That makes more sense.

When you say it needs to be signed by 2 witnesses, is that 2 witnesses in addition to my wife and the landlord?

The standard rental agreement has a space for two witnesses of the signatures of the renter and the landlord.

• 3 weeks later...

First of all I have got to say 'Big Thanks' to UbonJoe for the help with questions on this topic. The British government have not made renewing passports easy for anyone, and it can be really stressful trying to decide what is, or not, acceptable to them as regards proof of address (me being one of the stressed out and worried ones!). What we don't need are the keyboard warriors that come up with really helpful comments NOT!) like 'use some common sense' etc, so 'UbonJoe', you are my hero of the day... seriously. This has been a nightmare for me, as - like many others - I don't have my name on anything! I with my wife to get my name on the rental agreement (just have never needed it done before so didn't bother), and my landlord (really good people) said they have one in Thai AND English! Brilliant (or so I thought)... printed off... signed on the line... job done... NOT. I didn't have my glasses at the time, and when I got home I realised that most of the English translations on the form literally didn't make any sense at all! ( Example... 'And rental amount has been completed on this contract. If the tenant rent due under the agreement. Lessor will refund guarantee at deduction..' WHAT???) So I realised that there is no way that our friendly passport staff in Bangkok would accept this.

I eventually had a chat with one of the local police that I have known for some time... he suggested that he come with me to Immigration, complete with rental agreement (which reads perfectly well in Thai...but not English) and help me get something from immigration (in 'good' English) which confirms my address! I could have kissed him!

I am hoping that the info from immigration will be all that I need... and... reading the answers from today's hero... I reckon it should be okay. Now all I have to do is email them for an appointment!

A couple of points.... if I am going up there in person, why do I need someone to countersign my photograph? Surely they can look at me.... look at the photo.... look at my old passport... and go 'Yup!... that's definitely you! and.... if the person who signs my photo can be trusted to confirm that it 'is a true likeness'... why can't they be trusted to confirm where I live? Bloody madness I say.... all in all it is going to cost me around 8 - 10,000 baht to sort this out... and that is without the cost of the bl**dy passport! Pathetic system... but typically British lol

Others have used a certificate of residency for proof of address.

I can recall a post in the long UK passport topic of a member posting a sample of one in English he got his local immigration office to sign and stamp.

Joe,

Would a document from Interior minister and Social security from Spain translated into English be acceptable as proof of address?

I can recall a post in the long UK passport topic of a member posting a sample of one in English he got his local immigration office to sign and stamp.

Joe,

Would a document from Interior minister and Social security from Spain translated into English be acceptable as proof of address?

I cannot think of any reason why they would not accept it. They seem to accepting about anything with your address for here on it now.

Joe,

Providing it's less than one year old and confirms your address in Thailand.

I eventually had a chat with one of the local police that I have known for some time... he suggested that he come with me to Immigration, complete with rental agreement (which reads perfectly well in Thai...but not English) and help me get something from immigration (in 'good' English) which confirms my address! I could have kissed him!

I am hoping that the info from immigration will be all that I need... and... reading the answers from today's hero... I reckon it should be okay. Now all I have to do is email them for an appointment!

A couple of points.... if I am going up there in person, why do I need someone to countersign my photograph? Surely they can look at me.... look at the photo.... look at my old passport... and go 'Yup!... that's definitely you! and.... if the person who signs my photo can be trusted to confirm that it 'is a true likeness'... why can't they be trusted to confirm where I live? Bloody madness I say.... all in all it is going to cost me around 8 - 10,000 baht to sort this out... and that is without the cost of the bl**dy passport! Pathetic system... but typically British lol

Read the HMPO instructions; counter signature is only required on passport replacement if your appearance has changed substantially and that you cannot be recognised from your existing passport photo.

Independent address and name verification is now required to prevent 'identity fraud' - a counter signatory will not cut it under HMPO rules.

Also note that VFS trendy in BKK are only an agent for HMPO Liverpool who are the ones who actually make the decisions/deduct your money, etc.

trendy in BKK may say your photo is ok only for HMPO Liverpool to reject it, etc - the best you get is that they check you haven't ommited a document, not whether the document is ok per se .......................

Yes it's madness, but you have to appreciate that nowadays overseas UK citizens are only ever allocated a third class level of service at best.

Basically HMPO don't give a flying f..k that it's going to cost you 10,000 THB and waste 4 days of your life.

Edited by digitalchromakey

I just did mine on Monday

Took only 3 hours for them to reply to my e mail about a date and time for me to go there.

I used a letter from my employee to say who i was that I had worked at the same company for 10 years at that address, this was all on headed company paper in English

Yesterday the passport fee was taken out of my account so I guess it's all ok.

Just have to wait for it to arrive back in BKK now...

I just did mine on Monday

Took only 3 hours for them to reply to my e mail about a date and time for me to go there.

I used a letter from my employee to say who i was that I had worked at the same company for 10 years at that address, this was all on headed company paper in English

Yesterday the passport fee was taken out of my account so I guess it's all ok.

Just have to wait for it to arrive back in BKK now...

Letter from Employer on letterhead confirming name and address in English is fine if less than one year old, they will not require/ask for any other supporting documents as regards address..

HMPO Liverpool take your money as soon as they receive your application, but it's another department that actually examines your application.

• 2 months later...

After having read through most of the posts on this topic of proof of address, I'm still not clear about whether a visa (mine's a non O marriage) is sufficient proof without any other documents such as letters etc. I have a letter from AIA insurance in Thai which I could have translated to show name and address as well as their care card (which is in English but has no address) but I'd rather not fork out for the translation if it isn't necessary. Many thanks for any suggestions

Thanks a lot Ubonjoe - just one more question. Do I need to have the contents of the letter translated (it's a bill) or just the front part of the envelope with my name and address on it (it also has the date and name of insurance company). Thanks for your help again

Thanks a lot Ubonjoe - just one more question. Do I need to have the contents of the letter translated (it's a bill) or just the front part of the envelope with my name and address on it (it also has the date and name of insurance company). Thanks for your help again

You will need to get the whole letter translated, otherwise HMPO will have no idea as to whether it actually confirms your name at that address or not (which is what they are looking for).

HMPO want 'confirmation' that you actually live at that address, I suspect that just a translation of your name/address on an envelope won't cut it with them.

If it's an insurance policy/bill then it's probably not necessary to translate the small print as well, just the covering letter.

You should be able to get stamped/certified translations done at 300-400 THB per page.

I presume that the letter is less than one year old.

Remember to supply HMPO with just a copy of the original (by all means take the original to trendy (just in case), but don't leave it with them).

Edited by digitalchromakey

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, really glad I came across this thread. I need to renew soon as I'm low on pages.

I have the same trouble of no easily provable address. Rental agreement is in my partners name but it seems from the comments that that's not acceptable anyway. I have no bills in my name either.

I have my last 90 day report letter from when I was on an ED visa (now finished course and on Tourist Visa) but this has no address on. Could I get a proof of address form from Cheang Wattana as another poster mentioned and would that be acceptable? I really don't want to have to go back to the U.K just to renew my passport.

Also from reading the Embassy website, they are very particular over passport photos. One post mentioned they have plenty of services in the trendy building. Do they do passport photos that are acceptable to the U.K requirements there?

Many thanks

You would not be able to get a certificate of residence from CW immigration since you are no longer making 90 day reports to them.

Do you have anything from the school when you were attending classes that has your address on it? Anything that is not older than a year would be accepted.

You can get the photos done at Trendy.

Thanks. I'll check with the school tomorrow to see if they can assist.

Just had another thought. If the school can't help, a friend of my partner's is a police officer. Would an official police letter of address be accepted directly, or if not would this enable me to get the certificate of residence from CW?

Thanks