proof of address for renewing British passport

The police can do a certificate of residency and it would be accepted as long as it has a the police letterhead on it.

It does not matter what you have CW will not do a certificate of residency since you are now on a tourist visa.

• 1 month later...

HELP PLEASE

An application for a friend that I submitted on his behalf has been rejected.

The yellow house book was used as residence ID. Passport Office will not accept as it was issued in 2013, and they insist that proof of residence must not be older than 1 year.

The one year old is one of the requirements.

Could he get a certificate of residence from immigration? That and a translation to English would be accepted.

Just about anything mailed to him with his address here on it would be accepted.

Utility bills also.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
What is not stated in the list of acceptable scources of documents for proof of address purposes is that the scource can be UK documentation--ie

not necessarily from Thailand.. In my case I provided letters from a UKcredit card account and a second letter from a Uk based bookmaker. I could have used mail from UK pension funds or

Government pension correspondence as long as it was within the time period. The list given of acceptable scources is assumed by readers to mean Thailand scources only--not the case.

• Like 2

Got the following back from BKK agency Trendy or whatever, hope it may help some:

Dear sir

For renewal passport required:

- color copy passport every page (include blank page)

- 2 photos, white or light grey background (size: 3.5x4.5 cm)

- official documents showing Thai address for proof address in Thailand e.g. Receipt, Bill, company letter, work permit ,Rental bill, Driving license, immigration letter etc

Thai document please translate to English with professional translator.

All documents should be color.( the same as original)

I have an appointment at Trendy tomorrow for a passport renewal, and I didn't think this proof of address stuff would be so important. Would a translated copy of my wife's Tabien Baan and a translated copy of our marriage certificate suffice, do you think? That's probably the best I'm going to be able to do on such short notice.

EDIT: Or could I type up a letter saying something like this?:

I hereby declare that (Bardeh) is currently renting the property at (my address) from me, (my landlord's name),

Signed,

(landlord's signature)

Edited by Bardeh

Thanks Maestro, I'll do that.

Although, thinking about it, my wife owns a house in her village. We don't live there full time, but someone in an office in Liverpool doesn't know that. Could I just get something signed by her saying that I live there?

Seems they seek something official or governmental

The annoying thing is that if I just went by the UK government's official documentation, a photocopy of my visa would suffice as proof of residency.

2UaAVwN.jpg

The and/or clause would seem to imply the visa is proof enough. Anyway, I'll get a signed receipt from my landlord and hope it's enough.

Seems they seek something official or governmental

The annoying thing is that if I just went by the UK government's official documentation, a photocopy of my visa would suffice as proof of residency.

2UaAVwN.jpg

The and/or clause would seem to imply the visa is proof enough. Anyway, I'll get a signed receipt from my landlord and hope it's enough.

Don't think a Thai Non Immigrant Visa or an Extension of Permission to Stay would actually work as there is no address information.

What HMPO want is 'recent' documentary proof that you live at a particular address in Thailand, my reading is that PR alone would cut it in this respect.

Better you have a bill addressed to you in English from some official agency, I am not sure that a letter from your wife would work.

Address confirmation from Thai Immigration would work if in English or accompanied by a certified translation

Here are a few more HMPO suggestions:

We have contacted our Liverpool Overseas Team on your behalf who has confirmed that you must submit at least one piece of evidence to confirm the address you currently use and it must be dated within the last year. You may choose from the following:

Tax record e.g. letter from tax authority

Educational record e.g. school report

Employment record e.g. official letter from your employer

A letter sent to you from a central, regional or local Government department

National identity card or equivalent (or colour photocopy)

Visa or resident permit (or colour photocopy)

Where none of the above is available consideration may be given to bank statements, utility bills or their equivalents.

Any documents that are not in English must be fully translated by a person who is registered to an official organisation or trade body for translators or employed by a recognised translation company. The translation must be attached to the original document and signed to confirm it is a true copy of the original.

I did the application today and gave them a receipt for my rental payment signed by my landlord. The girl told me that it was fine, after checking that the addresses matched on that and my application form.

Lets hope so.

The decision rests with Liverpool, not VfS.

When I submitted (last year) the girl just asked "are you happy submitting that as address confirmation?"

In English I assume?

Yes, I had him write his name in English along with his contact details. The addresses of both him and the house I'm renting were in English too.

I hope it'll be accepted, but if it's not I'm assuming Liverpool will let me know and give me some time to send them extra documents. If that's the case, I'll go to immigration and see if they can stamp something for me to say I'm living here.

Edited by Bardeh

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I thought I would add my question about passport renewal in Bangkok via BKK here rather than create a new thread.

I was wondering when people have filled out the actual Passport Application form under 'Current Address' are they definitely expecting a Thai address there to be entered there on the form?

My permanent address is in the UK so should I be putting that address or as I am making the application via VFS in Bangkok will they be expecting a Thai address to be entered there?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I thought I would add my question about passport renewal in Bangkok via BKK here rather than create a new thread.

I was wondering when people have filled out the actual Passport Application form under 'Current Address' are they definitely expecting a Thai address there to be entered there on the form?

My permanent address is in the UK so should I be putting that address or as I am making the application via VFS in Bangkok will they be expecting a Thai address to be entered there?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

To apply for a passport renewal in Thailand, HMPO expect you to prove you are living here, not just passing through.

If you can't prove you are living here then HMPO expect you to apply from where you are based.

• 8 months later...

I'm experiencing this problem for the first time, I've got no proof of address, despite living here for 8 years.

It would seem I'm expected to go back to the UK to renew my passport. Surely that's bonkers.

I'm going to call the Embassy tomorrow and see if they have any advice, I'm married with one child, not sure if that makes any difference...

Perhaps if I ask a policeman friend to write a letter on police letterhead guaranteeing that I'm at this particular address, any ideas?

If you use the online way for doing your 90 day report.

When you are approved you can print out the paper showing your next appointment.

You can also print out a paper showing all your details ie. address etc.

I renewed my British passport last January and this was accepted by HMPO.

A better place to call than the British Embassy is Trendy Tower where you are supposed to make the application. The proof of address requirement is actually ridiculous in Thailand, because the new passport must be collected from Trendy. In fact, although the proof of address is a normal requirement, they may not care too much in Thailand because of the way the application must be made.

B*gger this, I'm just going to go back to the yUK for a week or so, get my passport using the express service(4 hours I believe), send my passport to the Thai embassy or consulate for a visa and visit my family, silly nonsense bureaucracy!