proof of address for renewing British passport

Hi. Im submitting my docs next week to renew my British passport. My situation is that Iive in Bangkok with my wife in an apartment rented for her by her employers. As proof of address would a letter from her company HR on company stationery giving the address and explaining my circumstances suffice as proof of address?

Cheers for any input.

Edited by mca

Have just re-read the instructions for UK passport renewal in Thailand on the UK government site-revised Aug 12 and the thing that caught my eye was-- that they now state that if you are unable to go to the Bangkok address in person,someone can go for you---any comments please.

The page on Guidance shows----

Making your application

You must apply in person. If you’re unable to, someone else can go on your behalf. You must bring photo ID with you.

Bring original supporting documents and a colour photocopy of each one. The original documents will be returned to you.

You must also bring your current passport with you when you apply, and a full colour photocopy of the entire passport (every page including blank pages).

You can’t travel with it after you’ve applied for a new one - but you will be able to keep your existing passport for ID purposes.

You’ll need to book an appointment by email. Include your first name and last name and 3 alternative dates and times. You will receive an email confirming your appointment.

UK Visa Application Centre
The Trendy Office Building,
28th Floor,
Sukhumvit Soi13,
Klongtoey-Nua,
Wattana,

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if for proof of address would a translated residency certificate from Thai immigration be enough? The same one you get for getting a Thai driving licence that is valid for 30 days.

The only other thing I have is my house rental contract which is in both my name and my Thai partners name but i don't see any mention of that type of thing on their list.

It also mentions copy of visa but not sure how this would show proof of address? I could show this along with the extension stamp which expires end of this year. Would that work as well?

Others have used a certificate of residency for proof of address.

I can recall a post in the long UK passport topic of a member posting a sample of one in English he got his local immigration office to sign and stamp.

• Like 2

In Thailand you cannot get an official paper to proof your residential address but normally a utility bill can be accepted if send to your name. I dont think a rent contract is concidered as proof.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Sorry for OT. But why you need to proof your address? I have two citizenships (EU and not EU), but never needed a proof of address for renew the passports. So, what would happen if you do a trip around the world? They wouldn't issue a new passport?

By the way, my embassies in Bangkok are able to issue new passports within 48 hours :D

Sorry for OT. But why you need to proof your address? I have two citizenships (EU and not EU), but never needed a proof of address for renew the passports. So, what would happen if you do a trip around the world? They wouldn't issue a new passport?

By the way, my embassies in Bangkok are able to issue new passports within 48 hours biggrin.png

If less than 6 months left on passport you wouldn't be able to book a round the world trip.

Even if you was on a round the world trip I'm sure you would still have a home ? or do you need to sell your house before taking such a trip?

Why do people try to make things so difficult .. would a copy of my rental agreement be good enough.. yes

ok then would a utility bill be good enough ... yes

ok then would a paperboy saying he delivers to my house 7 times a week be ok...

The questions get weaker by response.

Use some common sense.

By the way, my embassies in Bangkok are able to issue new passports within 48 hours biggrin.png

If less than 6 months left on passport you wouldn't be able to book a round the world trip.

Even if you was on a round the world trip I'm sure you would still have a home ? or do you need to sell your house before taking such a trip?

Why do people try to make things so difficult .. would a copy of my rental agreement be good enough.. yes

ok then would a utility bill be good enough ... yes

ok then would a paperboy saying he delivers to my house 7 times a week be ok...

The questions get weaker by response.

Use some common sense.

Answer the damn question bertty why make things so difficult.

The answer is if your doing a trip round the world and at some time need a new passport your screwed but bare in mind that if your proof of address is based on evidence in a foreign country then HMPO have absolutely no legal way of checking this evidence such is the nonsense of this sorry mess Nothing stopping anyone making their own rental agreement or utility bill. Also I very much doubt a rental agreement would be accepted.

I used a residence certificate from immigration which when I explained what is was for (and paid 500baht for a supposed free service) I'm sure I could have got it say I lived on the moon.Unbeknown to me there were 2 major errors by the time it got translated. Could HMPO check to see if I actually lived there ? Can they heck as like! All they can do is see if the address exsists on google earth.

Totally unnecessary,pointless bureaucracy.

Edited by parryhandy
  • Like 1

You need to have 6 months left on a passport to be able to travel. I very much doubt anyone would be able to travel if there passport was due to expire half way thru the trip.

I have a rental agreement in Bangkok, I have no doubt this is good enough to get me what ever visa I need.

yes but you might have 10 years left on your passport fly half way round the world to start your year+ travelling around the world then lose/damage or have your passport stolen. How do you replace your passport without having to return to the uk ?

• 2 months later...

yes but you might have 10 years left on your passport fly half way round the world to start your year+ travelling around the world then lose/damage or have your passport stolen. How do you replace your passport without having to return to the uk ?

The short answer is you can't in practice to all intents and purposes.

Edited by OJAS

Any update on this? I will go and get my yellow book translated I guess... what have others used?

See post #5 (ubonjoe) - a translated yellow book will be fine. Alternatively, any letters which you may have received from the jolly old taxman at HMRC this past year will equally do the trick.

Edited by OJAS

The short answer is you can't in practice to all intents and purposes.

Further amplification of my "short answer" after some thought. If you lost your passport or has it stolen during the middle of a round-the-world tour, first and foremost you would need to obtain a local police report and then report the loss or theft to HMPO immediately on form LS01. It might then, in theory, be possible for you to continue on your travels with an Emergency Travel Document (ETD) issued by the local British Embassy. However the Embassy would in all probability require you to provide a specific travel itinerary ending up back in the UK before they were willing to consider issuing an ETD. And you would need to check whether all the countries which you were planning to visit before returning to the UK would be prepared to accept the ETD as a valid travel document in lieu of a passport - by no means all countries do.

Edited by OJAS

• 2 months later...

i apologize in advance for posting in this somewhat dated thread but it was on a topic that i need advice with.

attached are the supporting doc. requirements for renewing a uk passport.

i'm here on an o visa, marriage and have been for several years.

when i go along to trendy i'll take my current passport & in addition a color photocopy of all pages.

additionally ...

will accept as name and address evidence, a color copy of my most recent true visions bill ?

thanks in advance.

post-5333-0-09466700-1423468306_thumb.jp

Edited by a269652

They should accept the bill but you would need it translated to English.

Even though in at least two separate places on the bill it has my name & address in English?

I was hoping to avoid time & money at the translation shop. I guess I may just as well get my yellow Tabien Baan translated if that's the case.

Thanks.

Edited by a269652

They should accept the bill but you would need it translated to English.

Even though in at least two separate places on the bill it has my name & address in English?

I was hoping to avoid time & money at the translation shop. I guess I may just as well get my yellow Tabien Baan translated if that's the case.

Thanks.

My bills have my name in English but the address is in Thai. If yours has both in English it would be accepted.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi ubonjoe can I use my TOT phone bill ( name in English, address in Thai ) translated the billing address to English for proof of address for renewing British passport?

You should be able to use it. Have it translated to English by a translator so that it has a stamp on it.