Mains Water Filtration - Best Options

NanLaew

We have been in the rental for about 14 months now and just recently the village water supply has changed from always being clear to maybe a couple of times a week being really cloudy and slightly musty smelling. Usually running the garden hose for 10 minutes and it runs clean again. But sometimes it happens overnight and the first time we see it is when running a morning shower. I suspect the water supply may be low due to the time of year (wherever it is as I haven't seen any water towers in the village) or they are tankering in water and a fresh load stirs up the sediment.

Either way, I am looking for recommendations on an economical and viable mains filtration system. There's loads being touted in hardware shops and malls but looking for some advise before being sold 'overkill' by an 'expert'. It's a 3 bedroom villa, (single floor) with 2 bathrooms. There's a water storage tank and pressure pump already installed. Do I try and fit something ahead of the storage tank or after, or a bit of both? Capacity, type filters, prices, suppliers, includes installation, or self installed, low maintenance, about covers all my questions.

Thanks,

NL

Which every system you opt for, remember that filters need cleaning or replacing on a regular basis to get the best result.

Best place for a filter is as close as possible/practical to final usage eg under the sink. You don't need to filter the water for flushing the toilet, but this may happen as it it usually on the same system as the drinking and washing water.

Paper cartridge filters are OK to a certain level of filtration, they remove the larger floaty bits. They are cheap to buy relatively easy to clean and cheap to change the  filter.

Which every system you opt for, remember that filters need cleaning or replacing on a regular basis to get the best result.

Best place for a filter is as close as possible/practical to final usage eg under the sink. You don't need to filter the water for flushing the toilet, but this may happen as it it usually on the same system as the drinking and washing water.

Paper cartridge filters are OK to a certain level of filtration, they remove the larger floaty bits. They are cheap to buy relatively easy to clean and cheap to change the  filter.

I have been using the dual-cartridge type that fits on the faucet for both the inside and outside kitchen and will carry on using those. It's probably best to have something more robust between the water tank and the pump? This will take care of the showers, washing machine, bathtub and washbasins. Just need to gauge what capacity and what types of filtration.

In that case a paper cart filter will be enough, no need to go to the exotic materials. Just make sure it will handle the maximum volume and pressure of water your system can deliver from the tank to the house. The information will usually be on the package and (surprisingly) it will accurate enough, you can use the output of your pressure pump as the max flow. As to whether the sales staff understand the data is another matter. The bigger the filter (more sq metres/sq feet) the less often it will need cleaning, but the more expensive the parts are. Minor up side, it will extend the life of your first under-sink filter.

Probably a dual filter system, first stage just a cheap and cheap to replace filter system that filters most of the the water you use, then install a reverse osmosis filter system for drinking water, better to fit separate tap for the drinking water so it is not needlessly wasted and the filters will last longer.

We think water is important so have a large “Master A4” brand filter fitted before the storage tank and then a five stage filter under the kitchen sink for drinking water.  I would prefer to err on the side of overkill.

Living in a rural village outside of Chiang Rai our water supply seems pretty good, looking at clarity and smell, but this is an agricultural area so I suspect there is some contamination of the water supply from chemicals used in the fields.  By having our own filtration system we feel we have some control over the quality and don’t need to buy bottled water.
Edited by villagefarang

Simple and affordable solution....Get one of the blue Mazuma or Omni / sediment filters....Remove dirt etc. down to 5-30 microns, depends on filter you choose. Make sure to always use silicon-based o-ring grease, when you assemble. For drinking water add one of the small affordable triple filter units directly in kitchen.

Good luck. MS>

Thanks, Tom, I did read that one before posting and it looks like something I would consider on a new build home with my own bore. This is a rental property so looking for something smaller, maybe 2 or 3 stage filtration that can be 'unbolted' if/when we move on.

We put one of those large tank type filters on the main line just before the water tank.  We get brown water fairly often.  Not nice when taking a shower, and definitely not nice when washing dishes.  Even with it, when we cleaned the big tank last year, there was probably 1 inch of junk in the bottom.  I backwash the filter 2 times every month.

Knowing where this water comes from, we use bottled water for drinking.  Watching people change the oil in their cars on the shores of the reservoir and seeing the water buffalo there is a bit much for me.

In the MIL village they let the water tank supply go to 0 nearly everyday. When somebody goes aout and turns on the pump the water is black to crap for a good 30 minutes. I am not sure any filter system could holdup to that without replacing filters on a weekly basis.

A good settlement tank would be the best bet.