Tourists injured in an accident near popular restaurant in Samui

Lite Beer

Tourists injured in an accident near popular restaurant in Samui

On the 13th of August at around noon an accident involving a two trucks and a motorbike took place outside the popular eating spot The Cliff.

The smash occurred when a the driver of a Hilux Fortuner, heading from Lamai towards Chaweng fell asleep.

The vehicle ended up in the direct path of black Hilux Vigo heading in the opposite direction.

The driver of the Hilux Vigo swerved to avoid the Fortuner but was unable to avoid a collision that caused the vehicle to roll fifty meters seriously injuring two tourists, thought to be from either Spain or France who were riding a motorbike.

Staff from The Cliff ran to the scene to assist the injured and immediately called the rescue services who took the tourists for emergency care at the local hospital. It is thought the driver of the car was unhurt in the incident.

Source: http://www.samuitimes.com/tourists-injured-accident-near-popular-restaurant-samui/

stimes.jpg

--Samui Times:  2014-08-14

I really hope these tourists are firstly ok and secondly have their medical costs covered in some way.

Wrong place at the wrong time through no fault of their own and it could possibly be only the beginning of the drama of their ordeal.

I wonder how an insurance company views this kind of thing when they're on a scooter.

Many drivers on Samui drive at absolutely ridiculous speeds. The mini van drivers are amongst the worst offenders. They are incredibly reckless, and have caused countless accidents and deaths over the years. They have rarely been held accountable. Once can only hope that might change now that adults are in charge of things. The "man children" who have been in charge in the past have either been in completely over their heads, been completely incompetent, just did not care, or were incapable of enforcing any sort of meaningful change. As a result, they have the blood of hundreds, perhaps thousands of deaths on their hands. There has never been any sort of traffic safety enforcement on Samui. I have never heard of anyone either getting a speeding ticket, nor getting arrested for reckless driving, DWI, vehicular manslaughter, etc. It remains the wild wild west. Anytime I write something like this, people respond by saying, yes this is the way we want it to be. I am not advocating a police state. Just some law enforcement, to keep the fools and goombas at bay. I have been driving at 70k in Samui, and looked behind me, and there was mini van about 50cm from my rear bumper. Those guys are a real hazard. They only seem to hire daredevil idiots to drive those vans, and they are usually driving with 8-15 tourists in the van, so you would think if anything they would be more careful, not less careful. It is about time the police on Samui start doing their jobs. Traffic safety is desperately needed on the land of the forgotten.