Cleared 11 year overstay

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't be angry with you my only question is

Why did it take you 11 years ???

We all know the rules, this is not our homeland and we have to abide by there rules....

Anyway, glad it's all worked out for you, and now you can have the correct papers and Visa to live here.

Just keep you execution impeccable - 11 years overstay, 1 post count, that can be sort of a TV record.

There are a lot of guys who just sit back and relax here. The guy I knew who cleared his 10 year overstay has been in Thailand since the 1960s. He's in his mid 80s and virtually never leaves home. He wouldn't have even bothered with clearing his overstay had not his bank refused to give him a new bank book unless he had a valid visa. He has some ancient bank account where he only gets his social security routed through to a Thai bank and can only withdraw it with a bank book. He uses the book once a month. This new book will probably last him the rest of his life. So, he may go back on overstay.

• Like 2

This makes you the champion, so far. I personally know someone who just cleared a 10 year overstay a couple of weeks ago. But with 11 years, you have nudged into the lead.

Not even close BadBanker cleared a woman with 22 years overstay.

This makes you the champion, so far. I personally know someone who just cleared a 10 year overstay a couple of weeks ago. But with 11 years, you have nudged into the lead.

That has to be a good story.

• Like 1

That has to be a good story.

Apologies my mistake he didn't clear her himself. However a lot the people he deals with can't even pay the 20k fine so they pay it in jail time.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/750981-no-money-to-pay-overstay/?p=8240649

Bang em up and hang em high........

Just incredible that you were allowed back in............There you go a bit of ammo !! Being serious it is ludicrous that 11 years can pass and yet you walk straight back in....

Chivas this is the clemency period so we can't criticize people for clearing up their overstays before the end of the month.

However there will be the crackdown of all crackdowns next month and the wailing and crying will be so loud you'll be able to hear it in Malaysia.

On a personal level though I'm in full agreement with you.

• Like 2

uummmmm how does this work as a passport is only valid for 10 years? Did you get a new one sent to thailand with on overstay on it already?

Should have been a better troll post this, i'd have gone for 9 years and 7 months.

The overstay begins from the moment your last valid visa or extension ran out. It isn't stamped in your passport. And Americans, at least, can get their passports renewed here in Thailand. Some people probably haven't even had passports--they just went off the grid years and years ago.

Just incredible that you were allowed back in............There you go a bit of ammo !! Being serious it is ludicrous that 11 years can pass and yet you walk straight back in....

Chivas this is the clemency period so we can't criticize people for clearing up their overstays before the end of the month.

However there will be the crackdown of all crackdowns next month and the wailing and crying will be so loud you'll be able to hear it in Malaysia.

On a personal level though I'm in full agreement with you.

This entire process is working as intended. The Thai authorities issued stern warnings and then gave people a couple of months to clear up their situation. I think their actions have actually been kind and humane. In response, people on overstay are taking them up on the opportunity to clear their situation--which is good for everybody all around. So far, good for Thailand and good for the overstayers who are now legal.

It would seems the situation is less stringent than it initially appeared, they've eliminated the back to back visa exempt runs and are ensuring those on ED visa's actually are studying and those on tourist visas to show proof they can support themselves but they haven’t closed any options.

welcome back, 1800 baht per month that what i call the deal of the century!

As i used to think, all these story about people who where turned down at the airport and send to IDC, were only myths and BS.

mate, 11 years.... thats a very long time!

• Like 1

uummmmm how does this work as a passport is only valid for 10 years? Did you get a new one sent to thailand with on overstay on it already?

Should have been a better troll post this, i'd have gone for 9 years and 7 months.

Bummer! OP had new passport and your internet detective test has failed, at the cost of OP's perfect post count of 1.

Try again next time!

Well 'Paz' if thats what you want me to call you... my spidey senses are starting to tingle... I call you the OP sir, and I welcome you back to Thailand - don't do it again.

How did you not get bored staying in the same country for 11 whole years?

• Like 2

Why its the law.. they knew the risks and penalties and took the chance. They did not endanger anyone with it like drunk drivers or such.

They did the time (in this case a fine) and came back. All perfectly lawful. I am legal here and I would not have liked it like that but that i my choice. I also drive on the most right lane with my bike knowingly if I get caught i have to pay a fine (rather that as risking my life on the slow lane).

If it was so important to the Thais the fines on overstay would be higher.

• Like 1

I am sure that a lot of the overstayers are working to support themselves and their families. So that beggars the question, why aren't they being caught for not having work permits? There are so many posters who claim that you need a work permit to even fart in public in Thailand and that you will be caught if you don't have one. If that is the case surely those working overstayers would have been caught years ago.

I have often thought that the claims of getting busted for working without a work permit were exaggerated. I have never once been asked for my work permit in over 20 years, despite doing DIY projects at my home and elsewhere. As long as you have not pissed anyone off, I believe it is very much a live and let live society, and you will be left alone..

There will also be a number of overstayers who will continue their overstay, despite the risk, because they will not be able to meet the criteria for annual extensions. Yet they will be able to comfortably live up country, in the simple style they have become used to, and stay under the radar. That is unless the powers that be announce a bounty for turning in overstayers.

• Like 1