Ford Everest as a Used Car Buy - Thoughts?

After having two 3.0 Fortuna's as long term business lease cars I've decided to buy my own car.

Looking for a good used 4x4 SUV. The Fortuna holds its price so well they are too expensive unless they are old and high mileage and I really want a 2-3 year old low km car for around 600k.

The Everest value seems to plummet in the first few years - so although they may not be a good prospect as a new car purchase (except perhaps the new 2015 model) they may be good as a Used buy?

After lots of searching and I think I've found that mythical creature; the good, honest used car. One owner, 70k 2011 Everest 3.0. Still has original Bridgestones, spare never used, looks new except for slight rounding of the edge of the brake pedal which I guess is normal for 70k? Full Ford service history, crawled underneath with a torch and it looks ok.

But looking at old threads the dealers seem to be an issue and the current Everest is a bit of a dinosaur compared to newer truck based SUV's?

I like the idea of a good, strong truck-based traditional SUV but this top of the range model has a lot of electronic gear that could be a hassle if it starts to go wrong and dealers are not good?

And will it's value continue to fall at the same high rate?

For the same money I could get a new small car from Honda or Toyota - which is not what I want - but they will at least be saleable in 5 years?

Thoughts and suggestions please as I've hit that decision making wall!

post-64119-14080687430469_thumb.jpg

post-64119-14080687612187_thumb.jpg

There is one in the classifieds on baht sold which looks a great deal - fully loaded 4x4 40,000kms 2010 600,000 baht.

edit it's here http://www.bahtsold.com/view/everest-ford-2010-4wd-3-litre-limited-182601?doqs=1 sorry if not allowed to post link you can find it by just searching the cars section and scroll down a bit..

Edited by bkkjames

Everests are certainly the most value for money in a full size used SUV. However, as stated, they are truly a dinosaur, but then so is Fortuner. I've noticed the PJS have been coming down in price quite a bit too, and might be a better buy as it is a newer platform than the Everest. Having said that, I bought one of the first gen Everests and had it for 4 years, absolutely perfect and trouble free, and very comfortable.

The new Everest and new Fortuner will truly make these aged ones look like dinos, but remember, if you want the usability, price point, and comfort the Everest is hard to beat for the price.

• Like 1

There is one in the classifieds on baht sold which looks a great deal - fully loaded 4x4 40,000kms 2010 600,000 baht.

edit it's here http://www.bahtsold.com/view/everest-ford-2010-4wd-3-litre-limited-182601?doqs=1 sorry if not allowed to post link you can find it by just searching the cars section and scroll down a bit..

Yes - I looked at that one when it was in the TV Classified - decent car - but the one I've been looking at looks a bit better even though mileage is higher. I don't think the Km's is a problem on these big diesels?

Yes - I looked at that one when it was in the TV Classified - decent car - but the one I've been looking at looks a bit better even though mileage is higher. I don't think the Km's is a problem on these big diesels?

I think these represent some good value - this engine has been around for awhile and 50k is minimal. Probably only used for carting the family around to school and weekends. The one Ignis posted is a good price. Just be sure of the service records and so on as you already know.

If you take care of it, I bet these could still be driving nicely for another decade and hundreds of thousands of KMs. 1.5 million is it for a 4wd CRV or New Tuna or 600k for this...easy decision in my books.

• Like 1

2012 model at 1/2 the new price cannot be a bad deal ?

http://www.olx.co.th/product-7902328/

same dealer another option ?

http://www.olx.co.th/product-7929793/

Thanks - I'd not spotted that one - I'll check it out.

One advantage of high depreciation - seem to get a lot of car for the money.

The Ford had already sold - but the Pajero is still available - will have a look later today. I think there's a few dealers in the same areas - so after a good look around I should know if the Everest is a good deal. Thanks again!

The Everest is good value. The Ranger we have (same generation as Everest) has not missed a beat and our Ford dealer has been fine, but as always YMMV.

Compared to the PJS or Fortuner, the Everest is bigger, the Engine is better than the PJS and as good as the Tuna 3.0L.

The down sides are boring styling (IMHO), the old steering design (not a car like in feel as the Mitsu and Toyota) and leaf rear suspension (practical difference is not that great).

Used Fortuners can be silly money so second hand PJS, Everest or MU7 are definitely be a good options.

• Like 1

It looks like a really really old design despite all the effort the caryard have put in to make it look good.

That model would have been designed in the early/mid 80's.

Plus the track is narrower than the wide body SUV's from other makers.

But for 600k.....what else is there?

• Like 1

I drove the Everest around for a few years for a friend of mine, and although it is an old design, it is extremely comfortable, very solid and never had a problem, not only that it is extremely roomy.

I certainly wouldn't have a problem owning one, and the only downside I found was its poor turning circle, but then again, never having driven any other SUV, perhaps that's quite normal for these types of cars?

• Like 1

I drove the Everest around for a few years for a friend of mine, and although it is an old design, it is extremely comfortable, very solid and never had a problem, not only that it is extremely roomy.

I certainly wouldn't have a problem owning one, and the only downside I found was its poor turning circle, but then again, never having driven any other SUV, perhaps that's quite normal for these types of cars?

As mentioned above, the steering system was not great on the first generation, 2004-8?, but maybe they improved that later? It had understeer when cornering on in the mountains, etc.. It wasn't noticeable in city or highway driving.

• Like 1

I have a Everest, yep the value is falling fast, though not as fast as cars in the west do.

Very happy with it, many friends have Fortuners and Pajero's, and frankly very happy not to have one, prefer it over them, especially if I am in the back, far more room.

So as a second hand car, yep - I'd recommend it.

• Like 1

Yep ! If you like it, go for it simple, easy job done, a good motor IMO and someone I know has had one for 9 years or more, no problem.

• Like 1

I bought an Everest in July 2011. Been very happy with it. 70k ish on the clock and changed the battery once. Ford dealership here in Pattaya have been excellent.

I took the rear seats completely out as I still haven't found the need for 7 people to fit in. Now there is an enormous amount of room in the back, loads more than my friends Fortuner. At speed, it is a lot quieter than another friends gasoline engined CRV.

As for depreciation, it is true that they take a big hit from new. But as mine is in really good nick, I decided not to change. I managed to get away from the old notion of changing cars every 2 years or so.

I would certainly buy another Everest

• Like 1

Same car advertised here http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/automotives-vehicles/cars/ford-everest-2010-4wd-urgent-sale-285396.html

• Like 1