Will Cha-Am beach be next?

pinkpanther99

After reading all about the removal of sunloungers and some business owners being told to close down their restaurants in Hua Hin, I was wondering if anyone knows of plans to do the same in Cha Am.

I now live in Hua Hin, but I used to live in Cha Am and I reckon that Cha Am beach could seriously struggle if those chairs are removed from the beach.

Sitting on the beach and eating seafood is just about the only thing to do in Cha Am!

Sadly Cha Am will become just like Hua Hin in every regard. I lived there for a year and watched it chsnge dramatically during that time. In all honesty the beaches from Cha Am to a bit passed Hua Hin are pretty poor in regards to scenery and beach life. I guess it all depends on one's expectations.

The real problem in Thailand is that in many places they've made a road between the beach and the restaurants. Scrap those "beach roads" and people will have a place to sit, or can choose to lay on the sand. Just having a beach without any other services such as a restaurant is boring.

Edited by DrTuner

I seriously hope they remove all the sun lounges from Cha Am beach, they are an absolute eye sore.

The people who operate them think that they own the whole area, and have an absolute fit if you park

in front of there sun lounges so that you can go to a shop across the road.

North of the Airport and south of Naresuan Camp, the developments have right-of-ways put in, at least some places, so people can get to the beach.

The beach has high seawalls in this part, as a few years ago with the masssive storms at sea the coastline was eroded, and some seawalls had to be rebuilt or were outright destroyed.

Florida USA beaches have vendors very near who rent a chair or umbrella and carry it to your spot. Vendor comes and picks up all that stuff when you leave or you carry it to turn it in.

Why is this system not workable in Thailand?

Get the chairs off the beach and just deliver whatever is needed to be rented. Same for food DELIVERY.

My first visit to Thai beaches, I thought all the pre existing chairs were free for the public because they were just sitting there open. I thought they were placed by govt, I guess. I moved my brood in and freaked out the vendor. Very fun.

• Like 2

I hope it becomes a trend all over Thailand. There are walking paths along all the beaches but all you can see are those ugly umbrella cities. I have no real problem with tourists having a place to rent a chair and some shade. If they brought their own that would be the case anyway. But having some business set up hundreds of those that are, for the most part, vacant is basically allowing someone to own vast stretches of public beach and do what they want on it.

I agree vast areas of umbrellas crammed in such like it is by the entrance to HH beach is not nice. If you walk along towards Takiab there are some much smaller groups full of tourists. For western tourists its not really an option to bring your own is it. For locals who can load up their car with all that's needed that's fine but they can basically drive off to anywhere, if I lived there I'm sure I could find plenty of secluded places much nicer than right at the entrance to HH beach. Also if you're local you are not going to eat the food there as it's too costly and not too hygienic. All these places are surely only supported by tourists that like to spend all day every day of their holidays on the beach getting brown and stomach aches.

Florida USA beaches have vendors very near who rent a chair or umbrella and carry it to your spot. Vendor comes and picks up all that stuff when you leave or you carry it to turn it in.

Get the chairs off the beach and just deliver whatever is needed to be rented. Same for food DELIVERY.

My first visit to Thai beaches, I thought all the pre existing chairs were free for the public because they were just sitting there open. I thought they were placed by govt, I guess. I moved my brood in and freaked out the vendor. Very fun.

I answered a similar question to this on the Hua Hin thread.

I would guess that this is how the brollies and chair business started out many moons ago.., Then one day somebody just couldn't be bothered bringing them back in and so it escalated.

If your a tourist like I was 20 years ago all you waned was to go back to your home country to show how black you are from lying star shaped every minute of the day puffing a spliff

roll on 20 years and you think fukc the sun tan you live here

Every day now I like to have aircon and keep out the sun

This is why I love watching my kids at cha_am in the shade eating great food renting a jet ski for 30 mins without some Mr J <deleted> from Phuket wanting 30,000bt bribe for the jet ski having had some bullshit damage

Dont get me wrong I love the umbrellas and if you go on a wednesday when they clean the beach then you will see how quiet it is

Rent a chair would probably work if people have no other option. I find it an inconvenience to bring your own chairs, but the upside is that beaches will be cleaner with less food vendors. Thais don't have a habit of throwing their own trash away.

We hope this will be everywhere...

as we hope it will be just the start, in every field.

From beaches to restaurants, from transportation to services, from traffic to building...

They need rules a lot, but mostly someone who teach them to follow rules as well

wai2.gif

• Like 1

Rent a chair would probably work if people have no other option. I find it an inconvenience to bring your own chairs, but the upside is that beaches will be cleaner with less food vendors. Thais don't have a habit of throwing their own trash away.

are you sure-you must be new.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I live in Cha Am and have it on the best authority (my Thai wife!) that Cha Am is in line for the same treatment as Hua Hin. As it happens, most of the deckchair and umbrella vendors are not on the beach proper, but occupy a strip of tree-lined strip of shoreline between the beach and the tarmac access road. There are scores of them and they have been here for donkeys' years and are very popular with Thai families as well as falang tourists - so I would be surprised if they are to get the chop. If this were to happen there would inevitably be a big jump in the local unemployment figures!

I gather they these vendors are allocated spaces by the local tessabahn six days a week and have to close every Wednesday when the beach area gets a clean-up. The dustcart men and others involved do a terrific job of restoring the place to its normal neat and tidy self, even after extended holiday weekends (like the one we've just had) when a massive amount of rubbish is inevitably left lying around by the departing hordes.

There are a few hotels, restaurants and resorts, mostly, but not exclusively, at the northern end of the town, which have encroached on to the beach proper, leveling and de-littering sandy stretches and putting out seats, umbrellas etc for their guests. One large hotel has actually planted palm trees on its stretch of sand, which has definitely enhanced the view from its restaurants. Presumably, this hotel and the other illicit strangers on the shore could find themselves in trouble when the "fuzz" arrives.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the many street vendors whose stalls line the whole length of the beach road. The only pedestrian pavement - on the West side of the beach - is completely blocked for long stretches and pedestrians have no choice but to risk life and limb by taking to the street, which at weekends and holiday times is crammed with traffic of all kinds and extremely hazardous.

What a shame Cha Am doesn't have a wide, shady, traffic free foreshore promenade like that in Pattaya - the only advantage "sin city" has, in my view, over my much more appealing and welcoming adopted home town!

As I write, the town is full of weekend visitors and the local businesses - legit or not - are all doing a roaring trade. But for how much longer? After the shenanigans in Hua Hin, our breaths are bated. . .

Edited by Krataiboy

What a shame Cha Am doesn't have a wide, shady, traffic free foreshore promenade like that in Pattaya - the only advantage "sin city" has, in my view, over my much more appealing and welcoming adopted home town!

I live in Cha am too, and I regret too that there is not a promenade along the beach ( many kms walk, it would be fantastic )

if Thai people leave, because no food and shadow, what happens ? they bring millions of bahts .

I don't think so. In Cha-am they charge people normal price. , should not have anyone complain. Few days ago I visited Huahin. I saw the shop owners were grouping and explaining that the food they serve are special ( lol) that's why they charge higher.

Thai people warn each other that when you walk to the beach from Tourist Police Station , do turn Right , not left. !!!!

If you want to sit along Huahin beach , bring yr own mattress , do not walk to that CHAIRS!!!!!

I have seen that in the north of Cha am beach, just before the small bridge, they have pruned the trees, much less shadow than before ; do they prepare something ( at that place, no chairs nor food ) ?

Edited by Aforek

The real problem in Thailand is that in many places they've made a road between the beach and the restaurants. Scrap those "beach roads" and people will have a place to sit, or can choose to lay on the sand. Just having a beach without any other services such as a restaurant is boring.

Better yet, make them walking streets. Fond memories of walking down the boardwalks on the East Coast of the USA on summer holiday. And no fear of an errant scooter or taxi taking us out...

• Like 1

I seriously hope they remove all the sun lounges from Cha Am beach, they are an absolute eye sore.

The people who operate them think that they own the whole area, and have an absolute fit if you park

in front of there sun lounges so that you can go to a shop across the road.

Agree 1000% .....these grubs have had a free rein for too long........get rid of them....kick 'em out......they are nothing ore than grade 7 mafia...........toe-rags in other words....scum bags to many!!

I live in Cha Am and have it on the best authority (my Thai wife!) that Cha Am is in line for the same treatment as Hua Hin. As it happens, most of the deckchair and umbrella vendors are not on the beach proper, but occupy a strip of tree-lined strip of shoreline between the beach and the tarmac access road. There are scores of them and they have been here for donkeys' years and are very popular with Thai families as well as falang tourists - so I would be surprised if they are to get the chop. If this were to happen there would inevitably be a big jump in the local unemployment figures!

I gather they these vendors are allocated spaces by the local tessabahn six days a week and have to close every Wednesday when the beach area gets a clean-up. The dustcart men and others involved do a terrific job of restoring the place to its normal neat and tidy self, even after extended holiday weekends (like the one we've just had) when a massive amount of rubbish is inevitably left lying around by the departing hordes.

There are a few hotels, restaurants and resorts, mostly, but not exclusively, at the northern end of the town, which have encroached on to the beach proper, leveling and de-littering sandy stretches and putting out seats, umbrellas etc for their guests. One large hotel has actually planted palm trees on its stretch of sand, which has definitely enhanced the view from its restaurants. Presumably, this hotel and the other illicit strangers on the shore could find themselves in trouble when the "fuzz" arrives.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the many street vendors whose stalls line the whole length of the beach road. The only pedestrian pavement - on the West side of the beach - is completely blocked for long stretches and pedestrians have no choice but to risk life and limb by taking to the street, which at weekends and holiday times is crammed with traffic of all kinds and extremely hazardous.

As I write, the town is full of weekend visitors and the local businesses - legit or not - are all doing a roaring trade. But for how much longer? After the shenanigans in Hua Hin, our breaths are bated. . .

Wednesday on the beach is so nice...........no umbrella aresh**s ....clean and friendly............get rid of these umbrella mafia.......people can sit on the beach sand as has been done for thousands of years..........Kraitaiboy....if you support these grubs.........sorry!!

Cha-am is cha-am and without the umbrellas there will only be a few people on the beach - no food - just a deserted beach which you can find easily enough

Chrisy1 I was like you before but now I love it in cha-am .if it all changes I along with thousands of tourists wont be going there for a vacation.

Not sure how an empty beach without banana boats-food vendors- umbrellas would survive although hotels would be cheaper!

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

are you sure-you must be new.cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20> cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20> cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20>

Are you implying that Thais HAVE a habit of throwing their own trash away? you must enjoy the "clean" beaches in Thailand

I have seen that in the north of Cha am beach, just before the small bridge, they have pruned the trees, much less shadow than before ; do they prepare something ( at that place, no chairs nor food ) ?

yeah, that's definitely true, I live rather close to the small bridge and they are, I'd say "heavily" pruning..

enough that it makes me wonder what are the causes of this..

Cha-am is cha-am and without the umbrellas there will only be a few people on the beach - no food - just a deserted beach which you can find easily enough

Chrisy1 I was like you before but now I love it in cha-am .if it all changes I along with thousands of tourists wont be going there for a vacation.

Not sure how an empty beach without banana boats-food vendors- umbrellas would survive although hotels would be cheaper!

Just opened this OP again......

Don't get me wrong...I live in Cha Am and love it.....but IMO, these umbrella people need to be removed.....they're an eyesore....!

yeah, that's definitely true, I live rather close to the small bridge and they are, I'd say "heavily" pruning..

enough that it makes me wonder what are the causes of this..

Branches are falling on the parked cars, we have seen this happened many times by hard winds.

Please do not compare Hua Hin and Cha-am Hua Hin is Hua Hin and Cha-am is Cha-am

Branches are falling on the parked cars, we have seen this happened many times by hard winds.

Nothing to do with the wind : I have seen workers and pruning engines; they did some also in the south of the beach