Another Phuket beach restaurant bites the dust

webfact

"Mr Suchart had already been warned that the house and restaurant were built illegally on park land,

and had been told to demolish both." 

"When the deadline passed and he had still not demolished the structures, the Park team moved in." 

"He will be sent a bill for the cost of demolition."

clap2.gif clap2.gif clap2.gif

Excellent. That's the way... thumbsup.gif

Join the civil people Suchart.

wai2.gif wai.gif

You have to marvel at the cheek of this guy to build a restaurant AND house illegally. And not just a temporary structure, but a full blown brick and mortar house. Good to see it all knocked down.

Kind of like the cheekiness of the "tourists" who have millions of baht tied up in cars, scooters, condo's and websites, but no legal permission to stay?

The guy built this when it was common to do so.  I'm sure he paid the correct amount to the appropriate corrupt officials, with assurances that he was good to go.  

He's got millions of baht tied up, and now it's all gone.  How about a little compassion?

While I support the efforts to get back to legal and rule of law, my heart still goes out to the families who have lost so much- and other families that will lose a lot.  (And to the guys fire-sale-ing their cars, scooters and condos on their way out the door, too)

I seriously doubt many of us are 100% squeaky clean, and just about any one of us could be next to lose our life savings if the rules change just a tiny little bit.

You could be wrong and I Think You are.

He broke the law he was warned now he pays, no sympathy.

• Like 1

You have to marvel at the cheek of this guy to build a restaurant AND house illegally. And not just a temporary structure, but a full blown brick and mortar house. Good to see it all knocked down.

Kind of like the cheekiness of the "tourists" who have millions of baht tied up in cars, scooters, condo's and websites, but no legal permission to stay?

The guy built this when it was common to do so.  I'm sure he paid the correct amount to the appropriate corrupt officials, with assurances that he was good to go.  

He's got millions of baht tied up, and now it's all gone.  How about a little compassion?

While I support the efforts to get back to legal and rule of law, my heart still goes out to the families who have lost so much- and other families that will lose a lot.  (And to the guys fire-sale-ing their cars, scooters and condos on their way out the door, too)

I seriously doubt many of us are 100% squeaky clean, and just about any one of us could be next to lose our life savings if the rules change just a tiny little bit.

"I seriously doubt many of us are 100% squeaky clean, and just about any one of us could be next to lose our life savings if the rules change just a tiny little bit."

I'm good. How about you?

• Like 2

"I seriously doubt many of us are 100% squeaky clean, and just about any one of us could be next to lose our life savings if the rules change just a tiny little bit."

I'm good. How about you?

I'm good too. I don't have much invested here in Phuket. My wife has 50 rai in Sa Kaeo, most my money stays in my homes in California. I certainly wouldn't invest my life savings in Thailand...

I'm good. How about you?

You are going way off topic here. Topic is about illegal buildings on public land. How many of 'us' are building illegally on public land ? Get real.

I agree that these people were allowed to build their shops/homes on the beach but they knew it was illegal and payment to the corrupt police allowed this and now their time is up. I believe that these people should via legal be allowed to have a business on the beach but must be built to a proper standard and appropriate rent be paid to the local authority. I know when I go to the beach I like to have a beach chair and somone I can look to for drink and food. I think the army are doing a good job of trying to eliminate corruption from the scum bag police.. Build a proper shop/restaurant under the law and managed by the local authority then fine. Lets have the service on the beach we have all enjoyed but legal and NOT corrupt

• Like 1

I agree that these people were allowed to build their shops/homes on the beach but they knew it was illegal and payment to the corrupt police allowed this and now their time is up. I believe that these people should via legal be allowed to have a business on the beach but must be built to a proper standard and appropriate rent be paid to the local authority. I know when I go to the beach I like to have a beach chair and somone I can look to for drink and food. I think the army are doing a good job of trying to eliminate corruption from the scum bag police.. Build a proper shop/restaurant under the law and managed by the local authority then fine. Lets have the service on the beach we have all enjoyed but legal and NOT corrupt

Only problem is that the LAW does not permit any ownership of public property. The beach area is public property.

Only problem is that the LAW does not permit any ownership of public property. The beach area is public property.

Millions of businesses around the world operate perfectly legally on public property.  They lease it from the government.

Millions of businesses around the world operate perfectly legally on public property.  They lease it from the government.

Just curious, where do they lease public beaches to businesses? Yes I've seen grazing land and farming leases, but prime beach front property lease?

Aaaah - small problem here. There was no lease from government, only brown envelopes full of money to corrupt local officials. I wonder when all these corrupt officials will be called to answer questions about their personal wealth....

I guess that most of us are happy to see that being above the law does not always pay, especially when you build on beaches or national parks. It is not about being 100 percent compliant, almost nobody is, but just appreciating that there are rules - which is what protects our rights. I am in Vietnam for a few days and here there is no law at all, and I can tell you that living here must be hell. If Thailand raise the bar about the law reinforcement, I think we will all have benefits, apart from some individual cases of people who bribed the police and then lured concrete on my beloved Bang Tao (and Layan) beach!

,y of 'us' are building illegally on public land ? Get real.

Well, that's the problem. Most of the commentators are unreal, and have no compassion for the people and the country where they are living.

• Like 1

Still waiting for the arrest & imprisonment of the higher up perpetrators. Until then it is all smoke & mirrors & probably back to business as usual. The people at the bottom will pay the price whilst those at the top will walk free.

Edited by Valentine

I guess that most of us are happy to see that being above the law does not always pay, especially when you build on beaches or national parks. It is not about being 100 percent compliant, almost nobody is, but just appreciating that there are rules - which is what protects our rights. I am in Vietnam for a few days and here there is no law at all, and I can tell you that living here must be hell. If Thailand raise the bar about the law reinforcement, I think we will all have benefits, apart from some individual cases of people who bribed the police and then lured concrete on my beloved Bang Tao (and Layan) beach!

I agree.  Nice, reasonable counter point.

But I still have some sympathy for the guy who just lost his livelihood and his home when what was accepted practice last month is no longer accepted.

And like Livinginkata says, there are corrupt officials who took the brown envelopes for years or decades, and now it's looking like just the little guy getting stomped on.

Personally, I think a more humane and beneficial solution would have been to negotiate a legal government lease instead of just bulldozing the businesses.

Can't these people sue in court for damages the very people who gave them the lease on the land ? I would guess some if these people went into this truly thinking it was fine and paid big money to get the space. Those who received payments should all be held accountable. But i would guess that these are the big wigs and public officials who will not be named..... But maybe it will happen and they will have to pay back all the key money they collected. Also they should pay taxes on the money they collected for rent over the years.