Phuket Hard Rock manager arrested for murder in Australia

webfact

Phuket Hard Rock manager arrested for murder in Australia
The Phuket News

1408090309_1-org.jpg
Gerard Caleo is loaded into a police van at the airport. Screen grab from Ten Eyewitness News

PHUKET: -- The general manager of the Hard Rock Café in Patong, 42-year-old Gerard Caleo, was arrested this morning at Sydney Airport in Australia, accused of a murder that took place 24 years ago in the ritzy Double Bay area of Sydney.

He was arrested when he flew into Australia from Malaysia.

The victim in the 1990 murder was Rita Caleo, who was stabbed to death in the bathroom of her home. The Sydney Morning Herald quoted Detective Inspector John Lehmann, from the Unsolved Homicide Team, as saying that her killing was made to look like a robbery.

“An intruder broke into the house and she was attacked in her bedroom,” he said. “It was a horrific murder.”

Her killing came less than a year after her brother, Dr Michael Chye, son of a high-ranking policeman in Malaysia, was shot dead by an assailant waiting in the garage of his home.

Several month before her murder, Mrs Caleo left a note with her lawyer saying that if she died an unnatural death, it would be at the hands of the people who killed her brother.

The Sydney Morning Herald quoted Det Insp Lehmann as saying today that police, too, believe the killings were linked.

“Rita Caleo was murdered some 10 months after the murder of Dr Michael Chye, and yes ... we do believe that the same persons are responsible,” he said.

“We know there are a number of people who were involved in Mrs Caleo and Dr Chye’s deaths and we are hoping to make more arrests in the future.

“My advice to anyone who was involved in these incidents, even if only by association, is to contact us before we come to you.”

Mrs Caleo was married to restaurateur Mark Caleo. Gerard is understood to be his younger brother. He was just 18 at the time of her murder.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-hard-rock-manager-arrested-for-murder-in-australia-47880.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-08-15

Bloody good job..the rat thought he was home free...24 years later they nab him.

From what i know he was the ''organiser'' for the murder of his brothers wife..and possibly also the murder of her brother at an earlier time..lovely family/..bah.gif

Wonder how they got the new evidence 24 years later. I had better check I haven't done anything wrong in my past

This doesn't sound so much like good police work to me. More a case of DNA analysis that is available now that was not then.

Someone who he has fallen out with or who is scared of him, has ratted him out and maybe even supplied the latest DNA sample.

• Like 1

Gonna be rocked hard by his fellow inmates in the slammer now smile.png

Why do you say that? Unfortunately, murderers enjoy pretty high status in prison. Prisons are not filled with healthy people. Even the scum of the earth, such as Richard Allen Davis, often do not get raped or killed. The people who get killed or raped are those who piss off other inmates, for various reasons.

• Like 1

This doesn't sound so much like good police work to me. More a case of DNA analysis that is available now that was not then.

Someone who he has fallen out with or who is scared of him, has ratted him out and maybe even supplied the latest DNA sample.

Isn't DNA more applicable when the two don't know each other. He was her brother inlaw so it would need to ne be very special sample. Maybe skin under finger nails from struggle?

Isn't DNA more applicable when the two don't know each other. He was her brother inlaw so it would need to ne be very special sample. Maybe skin under finger nails from struggle?

Read #3 he was apparently the "organiser'' and is charged with ;

"soliciting to commit murder, accessory before the fact and accessory after the fact"facepalm.gif

Read #3 he was apparently the "organiser'' and is charged with ;

"soliciting to commit murder, accessory before the fact and accessory after the fact"facepalm.gif

OK so even less of a role for DNA evidence. I'm sure there's good police work here. Just don't see how DNA evidence would be a part.

• Like 1

Bloody good job..the rat thought he was home free...24 years later they nab him.

From what i know he was the ''organiser'' for the murder of his brothers wife..and possibly also the murder of her brother at an earlier time..lovely family/..bah.gif

And a Life sentence in NSW is life, you don't get out, except in a coffin. Another scum bag bites the dust.

• Like 1