British Man Found Hanged in Police Custody

mrtoad

I'm not going to make a comment that would seem callous, but you probably can guess what I'm thinking.

I do want to say that these types of stories should be played time and time again back in the western countries, as a warning. That's all.

The poor chap in the OP (RIP) could have pulled through and gone through the Thai judicial system, done some time, and lived to tell about it and learned something. He wouldn't likely have served the full term sentenced.

I wonder if all the western media hype about "Bangkok Hilton" may have influenced his drug impaired decision to hang himself.

I agree he could have pulled through if he'd gone through the judicial system, but it's not just the western media hyping Thai prisons. 

Some corrupt Thai police officers themselves will do it when they pick a foreigner up, in order to extract a bribe from them.  A friend of mine got stopped by the police randomly, and happened to be on a very short overstay (a few days).  He got stopped by the wrong police.  They basically took him away in a truck and started telling him they had to take him to immigration prison -  and that it was a very bad place.  He'd probably be raped his first night there while in a cell with a hundred people, would be stuck there months while awaiting trial, and might not survive.  He was happy to pay up.  I've had a few other friends stopped while in the same situation, by non corrupt officers, and they were simply ordered to leave immediately and fix their situation, and they wanted to help them avoid trouble.

I imagine these officers were spinning all kinds of horror stories at this kid to encourage him to pay.  He'd be raped, get AIDS, be sentenced to life in prison, etc.  In his state it was all probably too much to handle.

Agreed. The stories you relate are consistent with everyone else's on the matter. Anything else is pure speculation on everyone's part, including my own.

So, what to take away from this sad case in the OP?

• Don't come to Thailand to break the law, and if you do be prepared to pay extortionate prices to get off and that's if you are very lucky.
  • Choose your friends carefully.
  • Don't leave a friend alone in police custody until you have seen them remove his shoelaces and belt. (The police do this in Pattaya before they send prisoners upstairs.)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mate, day 1 into a boys trip in Thailand, found hung in a cell that night.

Does sound fishy.

Poor chap, and his poor folks.

I don't think it was their first trip. Would you on your first day ever in unknown country flag down a tuk tuk driver and ask him to get you some hard drugs ?

Looks like th boy was well experienced.

Well anyone with any experience knows buying drugs in Thailand would be stupid, let alone buying drugs from some random tuk tuk driver right?

I disagree. The guy was drunk. First Thai trip there, too many drinks, too many bright neon signs, and got sucked right in.

But hey, I could be wrong.

When Mr Meredew returned around 12pm the following day with his other two friends a British consular told the group that Mr Whitaker had hung himself in a police cell during the night.

There were no witnesses to his death.

I don't want to comment too much. From my understanding (and I don't have personal experience as I've never been arrested in Thailand) Thai jails are overcrowded and it seems unlikely to me that he would be in a cell by himself.  Usually they throw someone in a big cell with other people, which is what they do in the states and other places as well. (It's a jail, not a hotel where everyone gets their own room.) The fact that there are no witnesses at all seems weird to me because I would think there would be other people in the cell. 

• Like 1

Good report Mr.Toad and what a waste of such a young life.

What people need to understand is that in Thailand the Police basically have a free mandate to do whatever they want when it comes to drugs. Especially METH.

The Police see methheads as the lowest of the low and they will treat you like an animal. Drugs + Thailand = Death.

Any yet, so many young Thais take Ya ice and Ya baa.

Looks like the tuk tuk sells drugs to foreigner, sells foreigner to police scam.

Can't see that as a reason for suicide, the police just want money, then they let you go.

As Sub says,

The people I know locked up overnight, complain about crowding, not in a cell alone.

Very unusual and highly suspicious.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

If he was under the influence of all those drugs, he may have flipped and had a bad trip or something like that.

Any way, any young person (or older) who has access to the internet should know not to do drugs or try to buy them in ANY country they are not familiar with.  If their usual Friday night out at home consists of a couple of E's - forget it on holiday.  Also i suspect the drugs sold to him were not what he is usually used to.

Very sad.

RIP.

Edited by Patsycat

If he was under the influence of all those drugs, he may have flipped and had a bad trip or something like that.

Any way, any young person (or older) who has access to the internet should know not to do drugs or try to buy them in ANY country they are not familiar with.  If their usual Friday night out at home consists of a couple of E's - forget it on holiday.

RIP.

Well said big P, well said.

A cocktail of drugs like that is dangerous at the best of times, especially your first night in Bangkok! A mistake that cost him his life. Asking a Tuk-Tuk for anything can cause a problem as they seem to think they own the streets. just saying.... but anyway the story is missing something but hey TIT 

Rip at least he went out on a high. 

Edited by Killian30

And what is the warning -- don't take methamphetamine, ketamine, diazepam and alcohol at the same time?

i would have though it was, dont buy drugs from tuktuk or taxis, they are NOT your buddies and dont ever forget it. obviously it was the tuktuk who sold then told the police. or he was if fact police himself

police would know absolutely that you cant pull 400,000 baht out of an atm,

40,000 baht ok. prolly bad enhanced reporting by sensationalist journalist

Edited by whoka

Let me summarize:

Young man comes to Thailand on holiday, drinks some and then buys drugs, afterwards buys more drugs and is arrested. Whilst incarcerated he has a psychotic event, likely caused by the intake of unknown drugs, subsequently he commits suicide as a result - no marks are found on his body, coroner records open verdict, family blames Thailand.

What is the question?

• Like 1

Let me summarize:

Young man comes to Thailand on holiday, drinks some and then buys drugs, afterwards buys more drugs and is arrested. Whilst incarcerated he has a psychotic event, likely caused by the intake of unknown drugs, subsequently he commits suicide as a result - no marks are found on his body, coroner records open verdict, family blames Thailand.

What is the question?

What really happened....i guess....the truth.
  • Like 1

The doesn't add up portion is a little more obvious, perhaps it can be put down to poor journalism.  He is here 1 day, he is busted WHILE BUYING yabaa (meth), his friend admits to them taking Valium prior to the tuk-tuk, and they were both heavily drinking.  The urine test shows methamphetamine, ketamine, diazepam and alcohol.  So did he bring the meth with him?  Was this his second purchase in one day, not likely..... or did the police let him light up before they busted him?  That is the question....

Oz

Let me summarize:

What is the question?

One of the early principles taught in medical school is, if you think that's what it is, that 's what it is.

There's no reason to believe that what is reported is any different from what actually happened, unless of course we engage the Thailand conspiracy aspect, in which case any number of theories can be developed, I prefer not to, not without reason.

Let me summarize:

What is the question?

One of the early principles taught in medical school is, if you think that's what it is, that 's what it is.

There's no reason to believe that what is reported is any different from what actually happened, unless of course we engage the Thailand conspiracy aspect, in which case any number of theories can be developed, I prefer not to, not without reason.

Not a fan of Perry Mason, i guess.

What puzzles me is the insinuation of some dirty deed by the police. Can't be ruled out, of course, but for what motive? With the prospect of a good payday coming their way, they'd be concerned for the guy's welfare, wouldn't they? Dead men don't pay their bills. Did they throw the fear of god into him and he freaked out on his drug cocktail? Possible. He might have been happy at the time his friend left the police station, but once reality hit that he was alone, then maybe ... but a niggling doubt hangs over this. No marks of abuse found on the body - so if any kind of intimidation was involved, it could only be implied threats. That might have tipped him, though. As an aside, not so long back the Khao San cop shop had a reputation for excessive physical restraint of young foreigners (one of my staff, a right idiot, was left barely able to walk for a couple of days after being "entertained" there). I know we shouldn't be playing armchair detective, but the circumstances encourage speculation and analysis. 

Mate, day 1 into a boys trip in Thailand, found hung in a cell that night.

Does sound fishy.

Poor chap, and his poor folks.

I don't think it was their first trip. Would you on your first day ever in unknown country flag down a tuk tuk driver and ask him to get you some hard drugs ?

Looks like th boy was well experienced.

The Tuk-tuk driver sold him the drugs then called his police contact to have him arrested/extorted. 

It's a certainty. 

And only the naive would be shocked to hear that.   

• Like 2

Let me summarize:

What is the question?

Not sure Cm, parts of it I agree. Who knows? It's not as simplistic as you think though

I just don't buy it.  Naive lad #1 goes to ATM to draw out some serious 'make the problem go away' restitution and the cops are to blame for naive lad #2 topping himself.  

I don't have to explain that if naive lad #1 is on the way to ATM then #2 is assured an easy life.  

Let me summarize:

What is the question?

It's not as simplistic as you think though

Why is it not?

Poor kid came to Bangkok and literally didn't last a day.

Tuk-tuk sets him up and knocks him down.  Police behave like pirhanas that just had a dead animal fall into their lake (1000 baht for losing a cop's pen!).  I would have thought RTBF (BF= bottom feeders) would understand that there are limits to the size of ATM withdrawals.

The kid died in police custody, and no bs will change that. I would have liked to see the UK Foreign Office make a big stink of this, drawing attention to this stuff.  The only thing that doesn't make sense to me is that it wasn't in the cops' interest to kill him and forfeit the expected pile of money. 

I hate the tuk-tuks in Bangkok, and there is absolutely no reason to patronize them.

Very sad indeed. Obviously fishy...We all know the police are bad here, but I think the thought of a farang kid dying in custody would bring too much heat on them. They are bad, they are corrupt, and terribly unprofessional, but they wouldn't kill a farang kid in the cell. Way too much attention brought to the situation. 

Let me summarize:

What is the question?

It's not as simplistic as you think though

Why is it not?

coroner records open verdict. nuff said

A Coroners open verdict doesn't imply guilt, it simply means there is an incomplete picture where a range of options exist but none can be proven conclusively. In this particular case, the stumbling block is the absence of UK based toxicology reports.

A Coroners open verdict doesn't imply guilt, it simply means there is an incomplete picture where a range of options exist but none can be proven conclusively. In this particular case, the stumbling block is the absence of UK based toxicology reports.

Toxicology reports carried out in the UK by Dr Simon Elliott found that Mr Whitaker had traces of methamphetamine, ketamine, diazepam and alcohol in his urine.

Blood samples taken from Mr Whitaker’s body were destroyed in Thailand before they could be tested in the UK.

The open verdict pertains to the actual cause of death. Suicide or not.

Toxicology reports carried out in the UK by Dr Simon Elliott found that Mr Whitaker had traces of methamphetamine, ketamine, diazepam and alcohol in his urine.

Blood samples taken from Mr Whitaker’s body were destroyed in Thailand before they could be tested in the UK.

The open verdict pertains to the actual cause of death. Suicide or not.

No, here, read this:

23. Inquest verdicts
23.1 Possible verdicts include:

natural causes;

accident or misadventure;

he or she killed him/herself (i.e. suicide);

unlawful killing;

lawful killing;

industrial disease; or

open verdict (where there is insufficient evidence for any other verdict).
23.2 Alternatively, the coroner can give a narrative verdict which sets out the facts surrounding the death in more detail and explains the reasons for the decision.

http://coroners.leicester.gov.uk/EasysiteWeb/getresource.axd?AssetID=63613&type=full&servicetype=Attachment

Apologies that I can't be bothered to format it all.