Is life better in the land of smiles

sesdaman

Haha.......yes the foreign ones who, in Issaan mostly, as i have read many times on here, who lost it all, will agree with you. Funny man you.

On a more serious note.....its untrue...at least where i come from and how i stand in life.

its true where I live. and please refrain from personal comments

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nonsense, your last sentence, please elaborate about the 2 things we westerners can learn from the thais. Am interested to know....for the sake of discussion.

1. Three generations of the family going out to a live show and all dancing and singing together.

2. The whole family coming to the hospital room to see a sick relative.

3. Maybe it is personal but all the Thais I know can sing and dance. They all got rhythm.

4. Children showing appreciation to teachers on Wai Kru

post-187908-0-71549300-1408505950_thumb.

• Like 2

Nonsense, your last sentence, please elaborate about the 2 things we westerners can learn from the thais. Am interested to know....for the sake of discussion.

1. Three generations of the family going out to a live show and all dancing and singing together.

3. Maybe it is personal but all the Thais I know can sing and dance. They all got rhythm.

5. Acceptance of people - - the value of social inclusion.

6. Openness - - the value of having a sunny disposition.

7. Patience - - the value of accepting what you can't change.

8. Mental quietude - - the value of managing your emotions.

9. Playfulness - - the value of having fun in life.

10. Politeness and manners - - the value of civility in interpersonal relationships.

11. care of and respect for older relatives

12. loyalty to the family

13. ability and willingness to survive and advance in the absence of a social welfare system

14. respect for tradition, especially the royal family

15. ability to thrive in the face of adversity

16. how to eat and remain slim

Edited by chiang mai
  • Like 1

5. Acceptance of people - - the value of social inclusion.

6. Openness - - the value of having a sunny disposition.

7. Patience - - the value of accepting what you can't change.

8. Mental quietude - - the value of managing your emotions.

9. Playfulness - - the value of having fun in life.

10. Politeness and manners - - the value of civility in interpersonal relationships.

11. care of and respect for older relatives

12. loyalty to the family

13. ability and willingness to survive and advance in the absence of a social welfare system

14. respect for tradition, especially the royal family

15. ability to thrive in the face of adversity

16. how to eat and remain slim

No. I don't think I learned any of those from Thais.

Show most of those western 'qualities' to a Thai and they wouldn't have a clue what you are talking about.

It seems like singing and dancing (often alcohol influenced), wai-ing a teacher (because you have been told to, and do so by rote) and congregating in mass at a hospital (where there is usually only one person, at best, showing any attention to the patient the rest are sleeping on the floor, chatting in the corridor or mixing somtam).

At the end of the day for every head there is a tail and for every minus we can find a plus. Thailand is what it is and it's cultural diversity makes it an interesting and sometimes challenging place to live. Would I live in Thailand if I hadn't fallen in love with a Thai ? Highly unlikely.

• Like 1

The question was:

"please elaborate about the 2 things we westerners can learn from the thais"

it was not:

what two things have westerners learned from Thai's!

As a general rule, all the above attributes are fading away slowly in western cultures, particularly in the UK, at least here in Thailand those attributes remain strong.

No. I don't think I learned any of those from Thais.

Show most of those western 'qualities' to a Thai and they wouldn't have a clue what you are talking about.

It seems like singing and dancing (often alcohol influenced), wai-ing a teacher (because you have been told to, and do so by rote) and congregating in mass at a hospital (where there is usually only one person, at best, showing any attention to the patient the rest are sleeping on the floor, chatting in the corridor or mixing somtam).

At the end of the day for every head there is a tail and for every minus we can find a plus. Thailand is what it is and it's cultural diversity makes it an interesting and sometimes challenging place to live. Would I live in Thailand if I hadn't fallen in love with a Thai ? Highly unlikely.

The Cultural Mandates or State Decrees (Thai: รัฐนิยม; RTGS: ratthaniyom; literally 'State fashion' or 'State customs') were a series of 12 edicts issued between 1939 and 1942 by the government of Field Marshal Plaek Pibulsonggram during his first period as Prime Minister and military dictator of Thailand. The mandates aimed to create a uniform and "civilized" Thai culture at the time when the country was on the side of the Axis powers. Many of the practices initiated in the mandates were a result of Thai entered World War II and remain in effect today.

Thai people should not appear at public gatherings, in public places, or in city limits without being appropriately dressed. Inappropriate dress includes wearing only underpants, wearing no shirt, or wearing a wraparound cloth.

"Appropriate dress for Thai people consists of:

1. "Uniforms, as position and opportunity permits;
  2. "Polite international-style attire;
  3. "Polite traditional attire

I don't think the West has had a very positive influence on Thailand. Thailand used to be topless and the men wore skirts (kilts). I think that's cool. Topless ladies and men in kilts sounds good to me.

• Like 1

The question was:

it was not:

As a general rule, all the above attributes are fading away slowly in western cultures, particularly in the UK, at least here in Thailand those attributes remain strong.

Actually CM, I think you are wrong.

The question "please elaborate about the 2 things we westerners can learn from the Thais" referred specifically to the final sentence of a post that read:-

"I submit that the West could learn a thing or two from Thailand about how best to raise and educate children."

Personally, I can think of nothing westerners could learn from Thais about raising/educating children.

Do you think otherwise ?

• Like 1

The question was:

it was not:

The question "please elaborate about the 2 things we westerners can learn from the Thais" referred specifically to the final sentence of a post that read:-

"I submit that the West could learn a thing or two from Thailand about how best to raise and educate children."

Personally, I can think of nothing westerners could learn from Thais about raising/educating children.

Do you think otherwise ?

yes

The question was:

it was not:

Do you think otherwise ?

If you narrow the focus to raising children, I confess I don't immediately have a view, I suspect there are trade offs but I simply haven't thought it through.

My earlier comments refer to the broader spectrum of life, the humanitarian aspects, not just the odd coin/note in a charity box. For example, I'm pretty sure that Mrs CM would do and/or sacrifice almost anything for her mother and close family, I get the idea that is not the case everywhere in the UK where greed and lack of care of the elderly seems to be opposite in an increasing number of cases.

The question was:

it was not:

Do you think otherwise ?

yes

I would like to see your list AyJayDee

The question was:

it was not:

Do you think otherwise ?

yes

same ones earlier in the thread, patience, politeness

Seems to me many Thais are quite happy to borrow money without having a viable plan of how to pay it back. I'm not talking about 25 year mortgages here, but small things like a 1500 baht crappy wardrobe, mobile phone, small motorbike, which they don't maintain. This worm has turned. No more, the bank is closed. (Not my TGF, but family)

Do you think otherwise ?

yes

So the Thais raise and educate their kids in the art of patience and politeness ?

• Like 2

Do you think otherwise ?

yes

So the Thais raise and educate their kids in the art of patience and politeness ?

In the tourist brochures.

• Like 1

Please don't forget that in America there has had an epidemic of school shootings. Many believe the root cause of these shootings is the terrible social isolation, ostracism and bullying children suffer there. In contrast, Thailand has few problems in this area. Also, Obama spent a formative part of his childhood in SE Asia and according to his autobiography 'Dreams from My Father' it had a profound influence on him. Education isn't just about academic competitiveness. I submit that the West could learn a thing or two from Thailand about how best to raise and educate children.

patience, politeness

Haha.......yes the foreign ones who, in Issaan mostly, as i have read many times on here, who lost it all, will agree with you. Funny man you.

On a more serious note.....its untrue...at least where i come from and how i stand in life.

yes, but your experience is most certainly not universal. in fact it is pretty much the opposite of mine.

i would say thai and western (whatever western means) approaches can complement each other very well

of course half the battle is finding an appropriate partner to begin with, somewhere many fail.

Edited by HooHaa
  • Like 1

Stop me if I'm getting warmer....

Personally, I can think of nothing westerners could learn from Thais, Southeast Asians, Asians, anyone else on the planet about raising/educating children, anything.

Some of you are really content and happy, whilst others seem to be moaning about just about everything! Is this just the normal mix of views or not?

Look at it from another perspective:

Maybe some claim they are happy because they are deeply invested and have no way out and the lies keep them sane, or it's just as "bad" where they are from, or, they're embarrassed to go back.

And maybe some of us who are sick of it, just aren't complainers.

So, appearances, and especially anonymous claims, are dangerous if you use them to make a major life decision.

Lots of guys who just six months or a year ago, were claiming how everything was great, how LOS was perfect … they have spontaneously vanished from TV.

i guess that could be true but I'm happy here and most of people (ex pats) are quite happy IMO. I dont really understand comment about people having invested here and not wanting to admit they are not happy. I guess your referring to people who are not happy in their relationships and have put houses or whatever into their wives name. Well plenty of people have down that in UK but it does not stop them simply breaking up and getting on with things. If anyone is embarrassed or have as you say invested to much then they are pretty pathetic human beings to not just accept it was a mistake and move on. Myself ive nested 95% + of everything i had into my Thai wife and our kids but if i was not happy with them or my Thai wife it would not stop me just moving on even though I'm over 80.

No one is 100% happy IMO but I'm sure I'm much happier here than i could ever be if i stayed in UK even though id be very rich. Of course theirs things that I miss a bit like the local pub and chatting with a few people which i dont find much of here since most seem to be sexpats or just not my type at all and i find many to be total tosspots but that could be my age

• Like 2

Personally, I can think of nothing westerners could learn from Thais, Southeast Asians, Asians, anyone else on the planet about raising/educating children, anything.

You would have to be extremely arrogant, or stupid, to make a statement like that.

• Like 1

You would have to be extremely arrogant, or stupid, to make a statement like that.

I can't believe you have the audacity to post that after your posts condemning Thai culture and

declaring Western culture superior in every way.

I can put my hand on my heart and swear that I am happy here, there are things I miss about the UK and Europe that I want to experience again so I plan to spend some time there each year, but that need is only driven by the fact that I've been here full time for over ten years and I'm nearly 65.

Two weeks ago we were up in Chiang Rai, just a few hours north of us. We were sat in our room at the Dusit Island Hotel, a room in a five star hotel with excellent facilities and views, it cost us less than £46 a night including breakfast. As we were enjoying the view out of the full length windows, the clouds coming in over the mountains, the river, the colors and the simply wonderful overall vista, I thought back to my UK trip in March where I paid £56 for a room in a Traveldoge with a truck park outside and a very expensive Harvester as the sole means of food, drink and entertainment, the contrast was stark

I then thought about how little it costs by comparison to do the "weekly shop" here in Thailand and how outrageous it can be, unless you have cooking facilities back in the UK.

Once back home in Chiang Mai I needed to visit the Emergency Room at a local hospital at near midnight. I was seen and dealt with in the space of thirty minutes, (overpriced) medicine was prescribed but I felt 100% better within the hour, the cost was £15. But the best parts were that the cashier and the pharmacist both smiled, were super polite, one engaged me in pleasant conversation and the next day, the nurse called to see if I was better.

We eat out here frequently, sometimes it's 50 baht food, a couple of times a week the bill for the two of us runs to 600/700 baht but that's for a really nice meal - the UK comparison is non-existent.

We don't ride motorbikes hence no accidents, we never get ripped off by the police, Soi dogs are easily manageable, taxi's are easy to order by phone and the rate is fixed and cheap enough. Road accidents? you need to be alert, just like everywhere else.

Am I truly happy here, you bet I am.

sorry on a lot of things your wrong In Uk you can get a good meal at local pub for 300 baht or a good roast for same although you need to know where to go. Hotels your right. The 50 baht food unless noodles is IMO crap and full of MSG and we spend on quality food not much less than UK. In UK education is free here we spend over 1 million baht a year for our 2 kids actually nearer 1.5 million but they are now finishing. One of great things here however is health care is very affordable and you dont need to be subject to lottery of NHS and get private rooms and rest.

But how much it costs is not really relevant and no measure of happiness. It could cost 1/2 in UK than here to live but id still be here and if need be have a lower standard here than in UK. Overall i find cost of living here except housing about same as UK once school fees, medical and other factors are taken into account but in UK we certainly could not afford or have 2 maids. That is provided your house was paid for in UK.

I can put my hand on my heart and swear that I am happy here, there are things I miss about the UK and Europe that I want to experience again so I plan to spend some time there each year, but that need is only driven by the fact that I've been here full time for over ten years and I'm nearly 65.

Two weeks ago we were up in Chiang Rai, just a few hours north of us. We were sat in our room at the Dusit Island Hotel, a room in a five star hotel with excellent facilities and views, it cost us less than £46 a night including breakfast. As we were enjoying the view out of the full length windows, the clouds coming in over the mountains, the river, the colors and the simply wonderful overall vista, I thought back to my UK trip in March where I paid £56 for a room in a Traveldoge with a truck park outside and a very expensive Harvester as the sole means of food, drink and entertainment, the contrast was stark

I then thought about how little it costs by comparison to do the "weekly shop" here in Thailand and how outrageous it can be, unless you have cooking facilities back in the UK.

Once back home in Chiang Mai I needed to visit the Emergency Room at a local hospital at near midnight. I was seen and dealt with in the space of thirty minutes, (overpriced) medicine was prescribed but I felt 100% better within the hour, the cost was £15. But the best parts were that the cashier and the pharmacist both smiled, were super polite, one engaged me in pleasant conversation and the next day, the nurse called to see if I was better.

We eat out here frequently, sometimes it's 50 baht food, a couple of times a week the bill for the two of us runs to 600/700 baht but that's for a really nice meal - the UK comparison is non-existent.

We don't ride motorbikes hence no accidents, we never get ripped off by the police, Soi dogs are easily manageable, taxi's are easy to order by phone and the rate is fixed and cheap enough. Road accidents? you need to be alert, just like everywhere else.

Am I truly happy here, you bet I am.

sorry on a lot of things your wrong In Uk you can get a good meal at local pub for 300 baht or a good roast for same although you need to know where to go. Hotels your right. The 50 baht food unless noodles is IMO crap and full of MSG and we spend on quality food not much less than UK. In UK education is free here we spend over 1 million baht a year for our 2 kids actually nearer 1.5 million but they are now finishing. One of great things here however is health care is very affordable and you dont need to be subject to lottery of NHS and get private rooms and rest.

But how much it costs is not really relevant and no measure of happiness. It could cost 1/2 in UK than here to live but id still be here and if need be have a lower standard here than in UK. Overall i find cost of living here except housing about same as UK once school fees, medical and other factors are taken into account but in UK we certainly could not afford or have 2 maids. That is provided your house was paid for in UK.

You can't be wrong about an opinion on where you live which makes you happier.

One cannot say living here or living there is "better" It what suits you at the time in your life. It's pointless to argue about this town, province, country is better than that one. It's too individual.

I'm in a similar boat as the op.

Living in Australia, 39yo, Thai wife, 1 small daughter.

We often ponder packing up and moving to Thailand.

The main issue would be income living there. I would still need to earn enough to be able to save for retirement. No idea how that would go in Thailand. Would mean re starting a whole new type of career, from the ground up.

Visa issues...well that's maybe ok with a Thai wife, but who knows in the future. Here in Aus, Thai wife has no real visa issues.

Schooling for daughter...sounds a little worrying from all I have read on here.

Safety of daughter. Maybe I'm over reacting on that one, but I know she's safer here in Aus, and I trust Aussie doctors more for that matter.

Then let's not forget slimey things like Thai corruption, and extortion from locals trying to make a quick baht even though their bike hit yours.

All in all, as much as it sounds great moving to Thailand, think staying put here, schooling the kid here, earning here, saving here etc etc etc here is probably for the best. Then one day, Thailand here we come!

Maybe some longer Thai holidays are what's needed!

in my experience id trust doctors here much more than in UK

schooling much better here if you use one of excellent international schools but not cheap and much much better than a lot in UK (at least coma red with a lot of UK government schools)

safety in over 30 years i am still convinced here is far far safer for kids than UK or USA but like everywhere you do need to take a it of care

earning here is almost a no go unless you have a job with one of big multinationals

corruption sure but its only got really bad in last 5-10 years IMO due to Taksin and before was more like a tip extortion not really exist unless you call trying to get you to buy or overcharging extortion but then that's as bad or worse in UK and much worse in USA only its from slick telesales and rest

I'm in a similar boat as the op.

Living in Australia, 39yo, Thai wife, 1 small daughter.

We often ponder packing up and moving to Thailand.

The main issue would be income living there. I would still need to earn enough to be able to save for retirement. No idea how that would go in Thailand. Would mean re starting a whole new type of career, from the ground up.

Visa issues...well that's maybe ok with a Thai wife, but who knows in the future. Here in Aus, Thai wife has no real visa issues.

Schooling for daughter...sounds a little worrying from all I have read on here.

Safety of daughter. Maybe I'm over reacting on that one, but I know she's safer here in Aus, and I trust Aussie doctors more for that matter.

Then let's not forget slimey things like Thai corruption, and extortion from locals trying to make a quick baht even though their bike hit yours.

All in all, as much as it sounds great moving to Thailand, think staying put here, schooling the kid here, earning here, saving here etc etc etc here is probably for the best. Then one day, Thailand here we come!

Maybe some longer Thai holidays are what's needed!

schooling much better here if you use one of excellent international schools but not cheap and much much better than a lot in UK (at least coma red with a lot of UK government schools)

safety in over 30 years i am still convinced here is far far safer for kids than UK or USA but like everywhere you do need to take a it of care

earning here is almost a no go unless you have a job with one of big multinationals

corruption sure but its only got really bad in last 5-10 years IMO due to Taksin and before was more like a tip extortion not really exist unless you call trying to get you to buy or overcharging extortion but then that's as bad or worse in UK and much worse in USA only its from slick telesales and rest

So you never had a problem paying 500,000 baht per year for a top international school in Thailand per child?

And al corruption in Thailand since the birth of modern Thailand is al Thaksins fault i don't believe for one second youve been living or been travelling to Thailand for 30 years.

"It's great if you come from a country that's wet and cold.

It's great if you want a younger woman, or just want to go whoring."

After someone writes this you can disregard everything else they say. This is the only problem that I see living here is Sexpats like this poster.

What a stupid comment. A childs education should be paramount in any decision for a family to up sticks and move to another country. The education system here is dreadful , including the private schools. The OP and his family should stay where they are until the children are educated. I guess you came for the temples and the thought of sex with a much younger lady never crossed your mind ???

nonsense while most Thai schools are awful theirs lenity of top rate international schools which are much much better than most schools in UK even private ones. The Thai private schools are not so good even those with so called english programs or bi lingual. Its not that cheap but cheap compared with UK private schools and fees depend on location as well as age of child. Outside Bangkok start at around 200,000 baht a year for lower grades and then increases to 400-500,000 after age 15 or so into A levels.

It's great if you come from a country that's wet and cold.

It's great if you want a younger woman, or just want to go whoring.

It would be a disaster if you came here with a wife and children.

Your children would get a bad (yet expensive) education, no chance of a decent university, and have zero chance of making money in their future.

You owe it to your son to live in the UK until he has started university.

Then you can do what you like, and he will be free to choose his own future, knowing you gave him the best start in life you could.

I somewhat disagree with that. You would have him raise a Thai kid who doesn't speak Thai and knows nothing about Thai culture.

I wouldn't do that to my kid. Not everything is about money and jobs .I'm sure many Thai kids do well in the west after doing some schooling here.

Why the expensive education jibe? Paid for my sons uni education and very reasonable. Suppose you think it was c**p uni?

most units here are c$#p as you put it and i would not want our children going to any Thai university but international schools are excellent

Bad corruption?

What do you call opium caravans going down the main street in Chiang Mai or in 1950 as one of General Sarit's army convoys approached the railhead at Lampang is northern Thailand with a load of opium. Phao's police surrounded the convoy and demanded that the army surrender the opium since antinarcotics work was the exclusive responsibility of the police.

When the army refused and threatened to shoot its way through to the railway, the police brought up heavy machine guns and dug in for a fire-fight. A nervous standoff continued for two days until Phao and Sarit themselves arrived in Lampang, took possession of the opium, and escorted it jointly to Bangkok, where it quietly disappeared.

http://www.akha.org/content/drugwar/mccoy/30.htm